• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The FDA... an unstable machine controlled by Big Pharma?

• Oh no...

Votes: 27 16.9%
  • Lord help us all.

Votes: 62 38.8%
  • This shit happens because you keep procrastinating on Yahweh's assassination, OP

Votes: 71 44.4%

• Total voters
Oct 26, 2017
NO.

https://www.drug-injury.com/druginj...ngrene-serious-infection-of-genital-area.html

I found out about this through one of those lawyer commercials that will pop up on television and it caused such distress I curled up in a ball cringing for 5 minutes.

Yo, how the everloving FUCK does the FDA approve drugs that have such horrifying side effects? I'm afraid of even using something like Propecia (albeit because of ailments much less severe than GENITAL GANGRENE).

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
I've taken medications that have a side effect of sudden death. Besides, do you even know how they determine side effects? If you get anything when you're taking a medication, even if factually is not due to the medication, they have to report it as a side effect. It's possible that someone participating in these clinical trials developed genital gangrene on their own, due to something else, and the FDA insists on including it, because, potentially, this medication may have lowered your resistance to genital gangrene.

Ryaaan14

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Would u take a pill to make u a genius if there was a risk of gangrenous penis 🤔

Edit: Let's say 2% risk

nded

Nov 14, 2017
They pretty much just list whatever complications manifested during trials even if it might not have been directly caused by the drug or treatment in question. Most manufacturers don't want to spend time and money investigating so they just go with it. It's pretty shitty, but not quite in the way you think.

Nov 1, 2017
I suppose that will make THAT commercial stand out when they rattle off side effects as some guy is shown happily doing things like all those other ones.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Take 3 drugs at random within your personal medical stash and read the side effects list please.
Come back and report on this funny experiment.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Take 3 drugs at random within your personal medical stash and read the side effects list please.
Come back and report on this funny experiment.

As someone who writes FDA submissions for his job, no. You don't know what the fuck you're talking about

Thank you! Jesus do we need some medical professionals in here :)

Yo anybody reading this: Life is a series of gambles. You make those gambles based on probabilities. It doesn't matter if you don't like gambling, you WILL have to do it anyways.

Every time you drive your car, or ride a bus, you have a 1 in X chances of being permanently disabled in an accident.

Every time you take a walk, you have a 1 in X chances of being murdered by a robber, like Batman's parents, or being swiped by a drunk driver that careens off the road.

Every time you take a bath, you have a 1 in X chances of slipping, hitting your head and bleeding out, or having permanent brain damage.

Every time you eat lettuce, or a hundred other things, you have a 1 in X chances of dying of salmonella.

Every time you shake someone's hand, you have a 1 in X chances of dying of antibiotic-resistant germs

Every time you have unprotected sex, potentially fatal STDs.

Every time you get bitten by a tick, you have a chance of becoming allergic to meat, and possibly dying of anaphylaxis as a result.

Water park? Brain eating amoeba.

Camping? Bear or lightning.

Sitting at home? Burning to death. Asphyxia. rape/murder.

Petting a dog? Amputated arm as a result of antibiotic-resistant flesh eating bacteria. Or rabies.

The list is endless but I think you get my point. The only thing you CAN do, is make the best bets, based on your (likely flawed) understanding of the odds and then roll the dice. You are not allowed not to play. Medicine side effects are not an exception.

This is why I keep telling people it's extremely important to take probabilities, statistics and stochastic courses. Your life LITERALLY depends on it.

This is why i am not scared of terrorist attacks. This is why I leave my door unlocked for 60 seconds when I go throw the garbage. This is why I am not afraid of flying, or of immigrants.

My life is built around statistics and odds.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I've taken medications that have a side effect of sudden death. Besides, do you even know how they determine side effects? If you get anything when you're taking a medication, even if factually is not due to the medication, they have to report it as a side effect. It's possible that someone participating in these clinical trials developed genital gangrene on their own, due to something else, and the FDA insists on including it, because, potentially, this medication may have lowered your resistance to genital gangrene.
This is literally the only thing that needs to be said on this.

Chaos-Theory

Dec 6, 2018
Exactly.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I can get an awesome robot dick in its place. With rotation/circular motion capabilities. You gotta look at the bright side here.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
my brother in law works in pharmaceutical trials. I asked him about this once and what he said was that if you have 100 people on a trail and even one of them reports experiencing pretty much anything you have to include it as a possible side effect.

Conmex

Banned
May 19, 2018
User Banned (1 week): trolling
The fda approves chemical castration pills like proprcia and flomax...

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
*reads link*

This was discovered after approval. The FDA is notifying people about it now, which is responsible.

The side effect is extremely rare, which is why it wasn't discovered earlier. It's much more rare than the side effects you'll get from leaving your diabetes uncontrolled. Diabetes will kill you.

Drugs often have very rare side effects discovered after approval. In some cases the drug is removed from the market.

siddx

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
People such as yourself that overreact to side effects to such a comical degree are another reason why tv advertisements for prescription drugs should be illegal.

Dec 23, 2017
As someone who writes FDA submissions for his job, no. You don't know what the fuck you're talking about
Tell that to my wife and countless thousand of other women that are suffering from issues that have ruined most of their lives. Because of a product approved by the fda. Only to find out they rushed the product to market, very limited test trials done and even changed peoples feedback given from test trials. Not saying everyone is corrupt but it happens a lot.

If you are curious to what I am talking about
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/jul/25/the-bleeding-edge-netflix-documentary-medical-devices

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
I take daily medication that kills my immune system. What sort of side effects do you think that has? Because otherwise my immune system will kill me, the risk is acceptable

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Higher risk for epilepsy very well justifies to not suffer through Migraines 15 days a month. Is a higher cancer risk worth no migraine? Yes.

Many medications are making pregnancy impossible for the patient (either due to direct risk to the mom or deformations of the newborn).

Anyone who has gone through pain management will tell you they will take willingly any side effects as long as the pain goes away.

Many people would rather die than go on with their life with pain, there is a medication that comes with side effects such as "no babies", "no sex", "no alcohol" a relatively low sacrifice.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
1252042.jpg

Deleted member 36086

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 13, 2017
OP, one of the possible complications of a root canal procedure is a broken jaw. Think about that for a moment.

Nivash

Oct 25, 2017
I suspect this has to do with the fact that SGLT2-inhibitors work by increasing the rate you secrete sugar into the urine. The sweeter urine is known to increase the risk of urinary tract infections which, in turn, might be what's causing the gangrene. Either that or something completely unrelated, but who cares really. It's too rare to matter in the big picture.

SGLT2-inhibitors are meant to augment or partially replace treatments with metformin and insulin for type 2 diabetes. Those two have even worse, and much more common, side effects. Metformin can cause lactic acidosis and is common enough that you need to stop taking it if you have a fever, a gastrointestinal infection or something else that can dehydrate you. It's known to be lethal in extreme cases.

Insulin carries an ever-present risk of overdosing which can cause you to slip into a diabetic coma or even kill you. Happened to my grandma when her nurses got their signals crossed and accidentally gave her twice her prescribed dose. She survived, thankfully. Oh, and untreated diabetes will absolutely maim and kill you so there's that too.

Stick to reading about common side effects when considering a drug. Expect to get th 1 in 10 ones. Keep an eye out for the 1 in 100 ones when on the drug. Ignore the 1 in 1000 ones and above, they're not really worth worrying about.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Hey OP, have you heard of dihydrogen monoxide?

It kills thousands of people every year and yet governments around the world do nothing.

Do you think it should be banned?

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The FDA is one of the most hardass agencies in government. Where did you get that from?

compared to regulatory agencies of other developed countries they are somewhat of a joke and way too business-friendly.
Though, to be fair, they also lack any power in many areas where regulation would be absolutely necessary.