• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Federal authorities ran a surveillance operation on By Any Means Necessary (Bamn), spying on the leftist group's movements in an inquiry that came after one of Bamn's members was stabbed at the white supremacist rally, according to documents obtained by the Guardian. The FBI's Bamn files reveal:
• The FBI investigated Bamn for potential "conspiracy" against the "rights" of the "Ku Klux Klan" and white supremacists.

• The FBI considered the KKK as victims and the leftist protesters as potential terror threats, and downplayed the threats of the Klan, writing: "The KKK consisted of members that some perceived to be supportive of a white supremacist agenda."

• The FBI's monitoring included in-person surveillance, and the agency cited Bamn's advocacy against "rape and sexual assault" and "police brutality" as evidence in the terrorism inquiry.
The FBI's 46-page report on Bamn, obtained by the government transparency non-profit Property of the People through a records request, presented an "astonishing" description of the KKK, said Mike German, a former FBI agent and far-right expert who reviewed the documents for the Guardian.

More at the link (searched for FBI and didn't see anything).

Investigate me for "terrorism" while viewing knife-wielding white-supremicists as "victims" if old.

Last edited:

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Shocking history. The reasoning doesn't even hide it which is surprising.

Hopefully things have changed, they must have surely.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LTbTRIG.gif

Absent

Oct 26, 2017
The bureau's justifications of the investigation and surveillance were disturbing, said Ryan Shapiro, executive director of Property of the People. "The FBI discovered that these protesters once shouted at a meeting and somehow that evidence was mobilized to support a full-fledged terrorism investigation," he noted.

In November 2016, the FBI engaged in surveillance of a protest outside the Berkeley school district, according to the Bamn files. Due to the redactions, it's unclear whom the FBI was watching, though the report noted that the FBI observed "several children … sitting outside … with signs next to them".
The FBI's insinuation that Bamn's actions could provoke violence was odd, said German, the former FBI agent, who is now a Brennan Center fellow. He noted that it was white supremacists "who have used this tactic for decades" and said the violent provocations of rightwing groups were well known when he worked on domestic terrorism for the FBI in the 1990s. The Bamn report, he said, gave the "appearance of favoritism toward one of the oldest and most active terrorist groups in history".

He added that the report should have made clear that the "KKK consists of members who have a bloody history of racial and anti-Semitic violence and intimidation and is known for staging public spectacles for the specific purpose of inciting imminent violence".
Kids with signs.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The KKK consisted of members that some perceived to be supportive of a white supremacist agenda
The FBI consists of members that some perceive to be supportive of a white supremacist agenda.

Big suprise that the country's biggest law enforcement agency, whose former director was instrumental in getting Trump elected, is full of fascists.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Sometimes I wonder if these news stories (and others like it) are specifically designed to numb/bludgeon me into apathy by exposing me to an ever escalating blend of cruelty and stupidity, a blend that has blown past 'unfathomable' quite a while ago.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you have nothing to contribute, don't post.
As much as these :
Why am I not surprised?
The FBI is fucking trash. I'm using sarcasm to express it.

As for the bernie shit, my post had as much value as the one I was replying to.
Meanwhile you're the one backseat modding with nothing to add to the thread.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
"The KKK consisted of members that some perceived to be supportive of a white supremacist agenda."

"the agency cited Bamn's advocacy against "rape and sexual assault" and "police brutality" as evidence in the terrorism inquiry."

These are amazing sentences to read. In the days of the Mueller inquiry, it reminds me of how you can never trust the FBI because the entire culture there is sick enough to allow these topsy turvy, and disgusting, ideas seem natural to them. They have always been the main opponent of activists and those who seek to make the world a better place by peaceful protest. They have never changed from this role. When progressives regain power, I'd loved to see the whole organisation be reformed from the bottom up; it needs it.

Bonafide

Oct 11, 2018
shit like this is why watching liberals fawn over the FBI as if they're the heroes instead of another set of authoriations protecting the state makes me tear my hair out

Oct 31, 2017
These kinds of stories are why I roll my eyes at Americans hoping their glorious institutions will save them. Same thing in the UK - ever since Thatcher police spies have been infiltrating any faintly leftist group, no matter how legitimate or harmless. Funnily enough, I haven't heard many screams of rage from the right about the suppression of freeze peach in those cases.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
At some point we need to fucking completely gut and rebuild every single law enforcement agency we have and boot out every last right-wing shithead that is sympathetic to terrorist groups like the KKK and Neo-nazis.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I can't stand people being enthusiastic about the FBI because of the Mueller investigation.

FBI = Policeman = Not your friend

Oct 26, 2017
That this was in 2016 really ought to be mentioned somewhere. We all know that America sucks, but it's important to realize quickly how recently we suck

Iloelemen

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is why I can't stand people being enthusiastic about the FBI because of the Mueller investigation.

FBI = Policeman = Not your friend

Agreed.
This is quite scary and dystopian. And who's to stay that the FBI won't use their powers to say, impeach a progressive president?

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
"the agency cited Bamn's advocacy against "rape and sexual assault" and "police brutality" as evidence in the terrorism inquiry."

No wonder Kavenaugh got onto the supreme court.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
These kinds of stories are why I roll my eyes at Americans hoping their glorious institutions will save them. Same thing in the UK - ever since Thatcher police spies have been infiltrating any faintly leftist group, no matter how legitimate or harmless. Funnily enough, I haven't heard many screams of rage from the right about the suppression of freeze peach in those cases.

It is quite sad to watch, but also fascinating how "liberal" opinion can shift once a common enemy turns up.
I'm really curious what's going to happen once the muller investigation is over and (expectedly) comes up empty-handed.
Turn to the next 'hero' or political resignation?

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it is a well known fact that they have been doing stuff like these since like decades ago.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
remember this next year when MLK day comes around and they tweet some platitudes about the reverend

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
It's a shame this occurred before Trump took office. Quite a few do regard white supremacist groups as domestic terrorists but the parties involved in this clearly don't care about those reports published by their peers.

It isn't only the police that need bad actors to be removed.

HiredN00bs

Oct 25, 2017
Laurel, MD
It's good for us to hold our law enforcement institutions to higher and higher standards, but how do you get to writing off all police or the entire FBI because of these types of stories? Like, there are hundreds of thousands of law enforcement people in the US working on all sorts of investigations all over the place. Most stories about how they stopped someone or some group from doing something harmful don't go viral because it's much more common and therefore unremarkable. That's data that people aren't including in their "trash the FBI" models.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Of course; what's hilarious is watching these relatively known...I can't even say conspiracies now, hitting the mainstream news from what were more underground leftist and POC circles. I was shocked when I listened to a public radio professional podcast from an org a few days ago and they casually threw in how the CIA assisted drug cocaine drug traffic in the 80's as a factoid just to set a scene describing someone's childhood in a drug infested area.

In a weird bizarro world I would normally be happy with the hits that the FBI's been taking in this administration; problem is that it's done by an even more overt racist russian stooge trying to sabatoge the basic idea of democracy in this country so the enemy of my enemy is my friend. In general the the CIA and FBI need to have more outside political oversight

Last edited:
OP
OP
formasymphonic
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad they're taking advocacy against rape, sexual assault, and police brutality seriously as a legitimate threat to society. Imagine if these proud institutions were ever toppled.
eIwZ3wd.gif
That was the other part that stood out to me. Like even if you ignore everything else (which is shameless as it is) how tf do you look at a group that's protesting against rape/sexual assault and think "these people are dangerous".

Some deep levels of bullshit all around here and it was very clearly a move for the FBI to target black groups. It's not surprising though, a lot of these same WS groups have long infiltrated law enforcement as a means to do exactly this.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
You don't have a racist society without racism from the top down.