• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
How this wasn't a TV show first, I don't know. But wait...

...this reminds me of the episode of Roseanne where DJ had all his sisters' dolls' body parts separated and sorted in shoeboxes.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, we've all accidentally opened the tuperware in the fridge that was forgotten about, but opening a cooler of penises is on a whole other level.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
This absolutely should not be a for profit space. The incentives don't line up with the wishes of families.

A lot of the nastiness with BRC is them deceiving families and then selling the donated bodies to the military for blast experiments. I'm sure a lot of people would be happy to help research blast armor with donations if this was handled properly, but they opted to sell as much as they could including from people who explicitly wanted nothing to do with any Department of Defense work.

Oh and even when these clowns did deliver body parts for the type of medical research people expect when they donate, they often didn't disclose infectious tissue. Love to put medical researchers at grave risk over flipping as many body parts as possible for cash.

I'd be happy to donate my body for research but I absolutely do not want someone making money off it. And I certainly don't want any of my tissue used for cosmetic surgery or anything of that sort.

What a terrible way to treat families who give your business something worth $2500-5000 for free.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Imagine having to write "Cooler of penises" in a work report
out fishin with the boys
best-cooler-for-fishing.jpg

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
cremation is starting to make a lot of sense to me all of a sudden

Along with Sunset Mesa, Hess ran a nonprofit called Donor Services Inc., through which she sold donated bodies or their parts to various companies. This unregulated field, which itself is legal, is known as "body brokering," and it supplies cadavers to industries that seem benign — university labs, medical schools — as well as plastic surgery classes, car companies and the military. An FBI review of her donor files showed that Hess allegedly sold bodies that were meant for cremation without proper consent.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
And the owner's name is Stephen Gore?

Really?
Fuck, I know, right!?

He's basically a horror villain. It would be like having a mortician named M.T. Tooms. It's like the name of a horror host, or one of those hosts on the old E.C. horror comics. "I am Richard CADAVER, and this is my friend, Stephen GORE!", the surnames ghoulishly embellished and dripping with blood.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere, a member of the Yeti marketing team just got a really good idea for a slogan

Holograms

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If people knew what happens to the majority of donated body parts, they might feel less inclined to donate. The romantic ideals people have surrounding it don't always line up with reality.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I feel sorry for the agents that had to see this. That is something you don't forget.

Reuters, however, reports that at least 21 bodies donated to BRC were later used by the U.S. Army for blast experiments to study the effects of roadside bombs.

WTF?

What a world we live in.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
I see the staff was keeping a few snacks on the fridge. I wonder if they were labeled.

Or put in other words:

What the fuck.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
Well that's enough of this planet if you need me I'm going to build a rocket to the moon and never come back

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
Whoever had to clean this up should've just said "NOPE!" Dropped everything and walked of the job; just reading this makes my hair star up.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only thing this story is missing is cadaver brothels. Humans will do anything for a buck and this country doesn't like regulating.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
So you can nearly do whatevr the fuck you want with body parts unless they're from fetuses?
It's really the country of "when you're born you're on your own".

Oct 25, 2017
To think this happened 6-7 years ago and we are just learning about it...damn.

There needs to be some serious government oversight/regulation into this practice. Crazy that no one bats an eye until the remains are an aborted fetus.