• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's Your Favourite Sony Playstation?

• PS1

Votes: 109 19.0%
  • PS2

Votes: 238 41.5%
  • PSP

Votes: 20 3.5%
  • PS3

Votes: 51 8.9%
  • Vita

Votes: 20 3.5%
  • PS4

Votes: 93 16.2%
  • PS5

Votes: 42 7.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
Been playing a lot of the PS2 over the past week (just found the JP only Sega Rally 2006) and for me, this is probably my favourite Playstation console of them all. I know it's nostalgia speaking here but the PS2 was the last console that I booted up day one and was blown away.

The massive and diverse library is something that we'll probably never see again too.

I've owned and loved every Playstation, but the PS2 is a massive high point for me. (but then so is all of them to some degree)
Thank you Sony for delivering 27 years and counting of pure class.

playstation-e1558384188931.jpg

ul_0Fumyk6g6Fp8uaGsoCG_Gn587Jpjon6_6y-ijh3U.jpg

SNWrqZ.jpg

975425.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

sony-ps4-logo-playstation-4-logo.jpg

ps5-1-1620x800.jpg

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
The PS2 was an embarrassment of riches, thousands of games, incredibly cheap to pick up used games AND I could play PS1 games which weren't rare yet. Never gonna be topped.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ignoring backwards compatibility, PS4 has the best overall library but most of it is multi-format and just as good elsewhere. The PS1 was the most impressive in terms of exclusives and definite versions for its time so in that sense it's my favourite.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
All of them, even the handhelds, besides 3. I think PS3 might be my least favorite console of all time when I think about it even though it was my main console of that generation.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
PS2 was just an incredible machine with some of my favourite games. Not only that, it got me a job so it has to be number 1

Oct 27, 2017
PS1.

Every generation has had games and experiences that I've liked more on other systems, but the PS1 had no equal for my time or attention.

Discontent

May 25, 2018
Ignoring backwards compatibility, PS4 has the best overall library but most of it is multi-format and just as good elsewhere. The PS1 was the most impressive in terms of exclusives and definite versions for its time so in that sense it's my favourite.
This is how I feel too but I can't just let the PSP get lost among all this other greatness lol

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
PS2 and it will never change.

I was in high school/college, they made a million games for the system all the time of various quality. B-games still existed. It was easy to find stuff used/cheap. Tiny ass 8MB memory cards were overpriced as shit (not actually good, just nostalgia talking). It was a different time, and one that won't happen the same way again.

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
Ps2 with its popularity and near-monopoly. So many titles, from low budget to AAA. Ps3 was a considerably worse experience than 360 and the Ps4 just feels like an early access machine with the occasional exclusive if you also own a PC.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
PS2 was great but I spent by far and away the most time using my PS4. Spelunky HD and 2, Bloodborne, and Monster Hunter World alone I put more time into than almost all of my PS2 library combined. Yeah I'll always have a soft spot for PS2, but the availability of indie games and widespread online play make PS4 a no brainer for me.

Dec 21, 2020
The Switch is their best portable PlayStatio, fight me

In all seriousness PS2, PS4 and PSVita gave me solid fun. All things considered.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
It's the PS4 so far. But there is a good chance that the PS5 will overtake it.

While I really liked all my PlayStation consoles, especially PS1, but I spend more time on my PC back then during PS1-PS3 era

Apr 19, 2018
Germany
I love the PS1 and PS2 but i feel like the PS4 has surpassed them in my view. To be fair though especially with the PS2 i never went too deep into the catalog at the time. It was mostly a GTA and PES machine with the occasional Final Fantasy, Tekken and Kingdom Hearts thrown in there. I really only started to play a wide variety of games with the PS3/PS4. So that's why the PS4 gets my vote.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
PS2 library was huuge. Back then most japanese games were exclusive due to lack of competition and Japan not caring about PC (ofc things changed, Capcom and others ported pretty much everything decade or so later, but this doen't change how everything was during the console life).
Many studios were on a roll with varied titles (Rockstar included). Games were much cheaper and faster to make. Good times.

Crowh

Nov 20, 2017
I must be the only one on ERA that never had a PS2 lol (Had a GameCube tho) PS3 probably, was my first PlayStation and the one that ive used the most (Really liking the PS5 right now).

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
PS2 was awesome but I didn't have money back then. I enjoyed the PS3 as well but I'll have to give the edge to the PS4. Had it day 1 and it was a slow start but once the hits came, they kept coming. Indies also filled the gaps really well.

It's too early for the PS5 but it's starting off well.

THIJJ

Oct 26, 2017
Launch PS3 cause it was also a PS2.

This answer is a cheat one, lol, but if I'm cheating it's definitely the launch PS3 too what gaming nirvana. Little did we know it'd be the last time Sony delivered on their promise of being able to put any Playstation console game in and it would run. A precedent they set and threw out.

If I was to pick a console based on its games, it'd go PS2 by far then PSP for me personally. The PSP is the quiet unsung hero of the playstation family, what a fucking library of amazing games that thing ended up having

Trails in the Sky, Let us Cling together, Metal Gear Acid, Lumines etc etc

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
As a piece of engineering I prefer the PS1 - it was such a cleverly designed system, they made smart concessions and were able to deliver incredibly fast 3d graphics for the time.

The library of course has to go to the PS2.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Unpopular opinion - PS3. I really liked that because of its initial poor sales (it wound up outselling the 360) Sony had to establish a lot of the single player IP that would really set it apart. I felt a close connection to the brand with the inclusion of trophies. And a Blu-Ray player made me feel like it was a living room device as much as a gaming station. Uncharted 2 and 3, Last of Us, Mass Effect, God of War 3, etc etc etc - it was my favorite generation by content.

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
PS2 by a landslide. Shares the seat for best console ever with the SNES as far as I'm concerned. Sadly those two are starting to look like good times that just refuse to come back as both manufacturers are concerned. Maybe I'm becoming a grinch as I grow older I dunno.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I think the PS1 is the best console game library ever. Console of kings.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
PSX was the platform I decided to go from casual and passive consumer of video games on occasion to more of an enthusiast appeal. Final Fantasy VII in particular was the game that kicked off the change in my perception of video games, starting at age 10. The following library of games that I got into over the course of that generation lived up to all of the newfound excitement at the time. I'll always appreciate that.

PS2 was maybe the first and last time in all of my personal gaming years that felt like an undeniable generational transition. It's almost mythical how the PS2 felt as it came out, and as the games there lived up to and seemingly surpassed the PSX handily. It was an uncanny feeling of reverence.

PS4 was my platform of choice during the past generation and also was the generation where I personally achieved peak enthusiasm for video games in my entire life. It showed strict hardware limits just a couple of years into its lifecycle, but most major titles that dropped throughout the generation, I played on some iterations of PS4. I don't think anyone is foolish who doesn't feel the same enthusiasm I do right now, but in my headspace, right now absolutely feels like the best time ever to be into games, even with high-profile misses.

... I'll vote PSX. It was the genesis of me just casually and passively enjoying video games to actually feeling an attachment to characters, stories, and game design. Credit to N64 because it was shared with that platform during the same generation, but it all kicked off the the PSX.

Aim_Ed

Nov 1, 2017
Even though PS3 was when I hopped into the Sony ecosystem a lot of my favourite games were from the PS2 era. So PS3 for the question in OP, but PS2 for content.

Squarealex

Nov 11, 2017
PS2 bc can read PS1 games too.
PSP behind, bc PS1 games too baby
PS4 is a great console
Vita bc PSP/PS
and PS3... well...

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I went with PSX, but unfairly it would be PS2 since it had BC of PSX and it had a great set of its own titles.

PS2 > PSX > PS4 > PS5* >>>> PS3

*unfair to really place PS5 due to how new it is

Tratorn

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 easily for games but since PS5 is a much better PS4 and obviously has its own games as well, PS5 is already number 1 for me.

PS5 > PS4 > PS2 > PS1 > PS3

Shiny Man

Nov 18, 2020
Loulé
PS2 and it's not even close. The sheer amount of classics is probably top 3 of any console, and the variety as well is practically unmatched.