• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
qDep9So.jpg

4VzBsPb.jpg

btCo952.jpg

fhAT5Cm.jpg

XhAuaGq.jpg

Oh, these are making me drool, fantastic shots! These 2d fighters have such a timeless look.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
You forgot the best one.

Golden Axe the Dual as aged pretty well imo. I still play it fairly regularly, think Samurai Shodown X Street Fighter.

gatheduel-4.png

13146-Golden_Axe_-_The_Duel_(JUETL_950117_V1.000)-1.png

gatheduel-11.png

gaxeduel.png

My goodness this game brings back a lot of memories. I loved this game to bits. I still have it some where but I haven't set up my Saturn yet. I loved the soundtrack for this game so much. Thanks for posting this.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
We had to suffer the PAL Saturn in the UK so they were all pretty shit compared to the NTSC versions.

krg

Oct 27, 2017
they were ports of CPS2 games, which had 1 MB of RAM. The Saturn cart let them port CPS2 games without compromises, unlike the PSX versions which had lots of frames cut to fit into the low ram.
Not only that, they had to change gameplay on the PS1, Real Bout Special being one of the worst offenders.

Warszawa

Sep 30, 2018
Damn those feels, as a pal gamer who was pretty young and got a Saturn late in its lifetime it wasn't until I started using the internet regularly I saw all these amazing Saturn games. Drooling over Vampire Hunter and SFA3 as a teen, knowing theres some bloke posting on the scene about all his amazing retro finds and wishing I was him or older and had a job to do a massive eBay blowout in the early 00's and get everything I wanted.

VF2 was legit tho, I remember seeing a demo for it on an old Sega Flash disc before I got into VF2 years later and wondering what the hell it was and what voodoo made it look so good, my only point of comparison being my cousins PS1 and Tekken.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
I guess Xmen vs Street fighter, SF ALpha 2, KOF 96, Fatal Fury Real Bout... Samurai Shodown 4 to, and Darkstalker 2

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
Even SF Alpha 2 was compromised on the PS1 - the attract mode was a *movie* instead of real time like the Saturn version.

The PS1 was a lot of great things but not the place for Capcom fighters

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Saturn was probably my heyday of importing, sent my PAL system away to get a 60hz switch modded on the back. Capcom and SNK heaven!

Oct 29, 2017
Paris
I still love and play:
- VF2,
- Last Bronx,
- Anarchy in the NIPPON,,
- Zero Divide The Final Conflict,
- Street Fighter Zero 2 gold,
- Vampire Savior,
- Real Bout Special,
- World Hereos Perfect,
- Dragon Ball Z
- kof96
And for the lol/fun Virtua Fighter 1 and Remix, FV, and FMegamix.

A6502

Jan 22, 2018
I had been wanting to try Fighting Vipers ever since I saw the ad on tv as a kid, but I really don't get what's good about it ? Movesets are limited and not very interesting, and the characters are among the most distasteful I've seen in a 3D fighter...

Fighter Megamix seemed cool but I didn't spend much time with it. From what little I played, it looked like VF2 and FV smashed together, but I know there's more to it.

I played Marvel Super Heroes as well which looked and played pretty nice, and frop what I read is supposedly one of the best Marvel fighters, so I'm a bit surprised to not see it mentioned here (unless I missed it).

I also didn't like the character designs of FV. I bought FV2 for Dreamcast and the characters seemed even worse, so I sold it. But FV gameplay is solid if you learn, it is similar to VF but with a different timing and feel, more combos, and it has walls and armor which can be broken. On Saturn, FV also introduced dynamic light sourcing, which the magazines kept focusing on, in the console wars. But FMM is better.

You mentioned MSH - it is a very good Capcom fighter, it isn't as manic as the VS games, and it is the only Capcom fighter with the Infinity Gems concept which greatly distinguishes the game. However ... it's a bit on the slow side.

Deleted member 38361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 14, 2018

Sunsoft's third and final fighter, Astra Superstars. It's my favorite because it was very unique, rare to obtain and all of your characters are fighting in mid-air, like in Dragon Ball Z. In spite of that kind of dynamic, the gameplay is quite similar to Waku Waku 7.

Last edited:

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I still love and play:
- Zero Divide The Final Conflict,
Oh my god. I forgot about this game.
It's amazing. It's another Virtua Fighter 3 on the saturn. The game plays almost identical to VF3 but with flat arenas. The character design is pure shit but the gameplay and movesets are very good and it's 60 fps. I wonder if rogue AM2 developers have worked on this game.

Edit: everybody should check it out:

Apr 21, 2018
Does Guardian Heroes count?
Hell yeah ! The versus mode is unbalanced but soooo fun.
I would add Kof 96 and SFA2.(such a special atmosphere)

McBradders
Thank you so much for the Daytona2/Scud Race tracks in Outrun 2 (X Box OG), for the Reference Sonic ASRT (one of the best racer ever made, the best Sonic Spin off and the most amazing Sega Cross over).

Sumo Digital deserves a standing ovation from all Sega nuts of Era...
( :still waiting for Transformed DLC on Steam: ) ;)

SSPssp

Oct 25, 2017
Have to go with X-Men vs Street Fighter! Still love it and I played it just couple weeks ago. Saturn had a lot of great 2D fighting games indeed. For 3D I like playing FIghters Megamix the best.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I want to say fighter's megamix, but for some reason I'm going with say virtua fighter 2. But it's been too long since I played either and cant think why I would like VF more.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
It is? Doesn't Fighters Megamix have both the character and the stage? How can you tell it's Fighting Vipers?

Been itching to pull out the Saturn hardware and games from storage...

EDIT; not great pics but they screen grabs which have been blown up

Fighters Megamix
4jz9lmy.png

TP0dksH.png

Fighting Vipers
hmYZUrw.png

wnpXi4h.png

Neo-Saiyan

Oct 27, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Saturn hit during the era when CEX used to stock loads of import tiles so I ended up picking up some amazing games like Cyberbots & Groove on Fight, which are two that immediately spring to mind.

Oh man! that brings back memories, CEX used to be my go to spot for import gaming back before the internet and eBay was prevalent.

Had my PS1 and Saturn modded by them to play imports too.

What the fuck happened to them? Gone downhill since.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man! that brings back memories, CEX used to be my go to spot for import gaming back before the internet and eBay was prevalent.

Had my PS1 and Saturn modded by them to play imports too.

What the fuck happened to them? Gone downhill since.

Was talking about this years ago on another forum and someone who used to work there mentioned CEX got into trouble with importing especially DVDs so they stopped trading with imports...

I remember waiting patiently one afternoon for their courier to deliver the Japanese imports of Marvel Super Heroes on Saturn.

Oh, these are making me drool, fantastic shots! These 2d fighters have such a timeless look.

this brought back something from the olden days of game mag reviews...

I hope Black Tiger from superpcenginefx.net don't mind me using these

gamefanbs2.jpg

gamefanbs3.jpg

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
I remember the CVG review mentioning the super shadows looking different for Alpha too. Kinda funny to remember how the PSX version of Alpha 1 was better in some ways than the Saturn port considering the machine goes on to get a reputation for being a beast when it comes to 2D games. I actually choose the PSX over the Saturn at the time solely based on me randomly picking up a PSX magazine in a supermarket and catching glimpse of a preview for X-MEN: COTA! Oh how I waited for its release haha

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
I remember the CVG review mentioning the super shadows looking different for Alpha too. Kinda funny to remember how the PSX version of Alpha 1 was better in some ways than the Saturn port considering the machine goes on to get a reputation for being a beast when it comes to 2D games. I actually choose the PSX over the Saturn at the time solely based on me randomly picking up a PSX magazine in a supermarket and catching glimpse of a preview for X-MEN: COTA! Oh how I waited for its release haha

The weird thing with the Saturn port of SFA is the shadows can be reverted back to the original arcade look in the options menu under the sound option; remixed or original..

My most disappointed Capcom saturn ports were Marvel Super Heroes since the gameplay felt a little laggy in some spots and some sprite flicker in Blackhearts level and their Super Street Fighter II X had a slight cheap cash in feel to me....

EDIT

and Wake Waku 7. I just adore the character designs and art style in this game but those backgrounds were just so low res. Astra Superstars was great I wished I kept that but I had no idea how valuable it was in those early saturn years

Last edited:

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
The weird thing with the Saturn port of SFA is the shadows can be reverted back to the original arcade look in the options menu under the sound option; remixed or original..

My most disappointed Capcom saturn ports were Marvel Super Heroes since the gameplay felt a little laggy in some spots and some sprite flicker in Blackhearts level and their Super Street Fighter II X had a slight cheap cash in feel to me....

EDIT

and Wake Waku 7. I just adore the character designs and art style in this game but those backgrounds were just so low res. Astra Superstars was great I wished I kept that but I had no idea how valuable it was in those early saturn years

I did not know that about the option in the menu, how did everyone miss that haha. I have it on Saturn for the cool disc art but don't think I've ever played it but might boot it up to try the shadow options.

I've heard the X-MEN: COTA Saturn port was a little rushed too and compared to the CPS2 is a little lacking, would have been nice if they had used the 4mb ram cart but I'm not sure it was a thing then. Didn't know that about the MSH port, I guess it's still better than the PSX port?

Ah Waku Waku 7, never played it much but loved the art style too, pretty much thanks to the rabbit/cat thing that looks like it came straight from My Neighbour Totoro. It's not a perfect port, right? I learned it featured in the PS2 Sunsoft collection recently, kinda want to pick that up. Yeah, that sucks selling Astra Superstars, if it makes you feel any better I let my cousin borrow my Saturn and he had then lent it to his friend, without permission, who "misplaced" a lot of the rare games I had, like Guardian Heroes along with some expensive Capcom titles :/

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Saturn was the king of fighting games.

So many great titles especially with the RAM cart.

Fighters Megamix is probably my fave
followed by Virtua Fighter 2, SF Alpha 2, All the vs games and Neo Geo titles. So so good.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
You know that GIF of the kid going "What's an Xbox". Saturn is that for me, it's the only major system that I never played in any capacity. Regardless of that, i'll go with MSF vs SF since I know I played that in some form at one point.