• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Saturn was an oddity, that's for sure. The console was known for being a commercial disappointment in Europe and North America, however in Japan it did see quite a bit success in its first two years before losing momentum to the PS1 and N64. What was the cause of this initial success? Virtua Fighter!! Virtua Fighter was pretty popular here at the arcades but in Japan the series was a massive success. The Saturn received numerous Virtua Fighter games (VF, VF: Remix, VF2, VF: Kids, 11 Portrait titles and the Fighters Megamix crossover). Here are some of my favourite titles for the system:

Virtua Fighter Remix
430-Virtua_Fighter_Remix_(U)-3.jpg

Virtua Fighter 2
138647-Virtua_Fighter_2_(E)_v1.001-1487509686.png

Fighters Megamix
138465-Fighting_Vipers_(E)-1487510219.png

Street Fighter Zero 3
54526-Street_Fighter_Zero_3_(J)-1.jpg

X-Men vs. Street Fighter
54639-X-Men_Vs_Street_Fighter_(J)-2.jpg

Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter
37134-Marvel_Super_Heroes_VS_Street_Fighter-5.jpg

Dead or Alive
53996-Dead_or_Alive_(J)-3.jpg

King of Fighters 97:
119631-The_King_of_Fighters_'97_(Set_1)-1523899184.jpg

Real Bout Garou Densetsu Special:
rbffs2.gif

There is so much more of course! Darkstalkers, other KOF and Street Fighter games and probably other titles that I forget!

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
In terms of the actual games:

Street Fighter Zero 2
Vampire Hunter
King of Fighters 97

Are the best. Zero 2 remains the best original formula Street Fighter ever, and the amazing arranged soundtrack makes me mostly prefer it to the actual CPS2 original. Shame they didn't get re-releases using the 4MB cart to have no load times. Of course Vampire Saviour and Zero 3 have the great presentation with the 4MB cart, but are not as great playing games as their direct predecessors IMO. MvSF as really cool though, best VS game.

Real Bout Special is indeed fantastic, as are DOA and VF2.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
The VS games by Capcom were great and I loved them. It really set the system apart from the PS1 since you were able to actually tag without both players picking the same characters.

Also really enjoyed Fighters Megamix.

MattXIII

Oct 28, 2017
You forgot the best one.

Golden Axe the Dual as aged pretty well imo. I still play it fairly regularly, think Samurai Shodown X Street Fighter.

gatheduel-4.png

13146-Golden_Axe_-_The_Duel_(JUETL_950117_V1.000)-1.png

gatheduel-11.png

gaxeduel.png

Deleted member 8197

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Saturn hit during the era when CEX used to stock loads of import tiles so I ended up picking up some amazing games like Cyberbots & Groove on Fight, which are two that immediately spring to mind.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
SF:Alpha games were the best but since they weren't exclusive, I have to go with Virtua Fighter 2.

That was the one reason I wanted a Saturn.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fighters Megamix without a doubt, hands down, easiest choice in the world

the absolute best fighting game that generation on any console

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
What the fuck was with it anyway with Capcom needing every game to have to use the RAM expansion.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Fighters Megamix for 3D fighters. Incredible amount of characters and stages

Street Fighter Alpha 3 for 2D fighters. It's arcade perfect, what more can you ask for?

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Wait, wait wait. Hold up.

Can Guardian Heroes be counted as a fighter? Once you have all characters unlocked and a multi-tap, it basically becomes a fighting game.

RicJFNas

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't play some of those. It's been so long that I don't quite remember well, but I think it was Virtua Fighter 2.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_njj7ivBhlc1slig2vo1_400.gif

0*lDuufPfcJctoxph8.gif

tumblr_oiibtfHjAP1slig2vo1_400.gif

tumblr_nfdqv5isJi1r7sijxo4_500.gif

Vodqcc7.gif

B3D3.gif

giphy.gif

there are so many badass moves and combos in the game that aren't captured in any gifs online. Like Jacky and Dural both have some brutal moves that I just can't find any footage of.

Last edited:

JaredTaco

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, wait wait. Hold up.

Can Guardian Heroes be counted as a fighter? Once you have all characters unlocked and a multi-tap, it basically becomes a fighting game.

It's a brawler, but I think it did have a VS. Mode.

I need to pick up some of the Capcom games, but Virtua Fighter 2 is a brilliant port. I sometimes wonder if the Saturn hadn't had the surprise release at E3 and managed to have VF2 and Sega Rally Championship available at a September or October launch if maybe Sega would have started the generation on a better foot.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Janet was banned when friends came over because of this move. People would just spam that and nothing else.

There are a few characters who can punish it very severely. You can side step with rent-a-hero then use either his downward fireball or his running dragon punch and clear the distance before she can recover. Also, Bean has a teleport move, so you can appear behind her leaving her wide open.

It's super cheap, though, especially the triple shot that strings three of them together that you can put into combos.

Janet is otherwise fucking awesome, however, because she's actually Aoi from VF3. Besides the obvious gun move, she has Aoi's moveset. The secret to FMM is that it's quietly a port of VF3 for many characters. Characters like Jacky have their entire VF3 moveset in the game, which makes them play radically different from VF2.

I've put soooo much time into FMM over the years, probably my single most played fighting game, ever. I think the 1 player mode is pretty awesome by itself. Like it's a legitimately fun game to do the single player campaign and unlock all the characters. Each "level" of the single player being a different theme makes it really fun. I like the last "level" that's all secret characters.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Outside of the Alpha series I only played one but don't remember the name. You could play as different monsters. Don't think I'd put it as best though.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Outside of the Alpha series I only played one but don't remember the name. You could play as different monsters. Don't think I'd put it as best though.

Night Warriors: Dark Stalker's revenge

the sequel only in japan was great, Vampire Savior. They play extremely similar to the Vs series, especially when it comes to the combo system.

Damn the Saturn was such a beast, one of the best fighting game machines of all time. All these ports smoked the PSX versions.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
There are a few characters who can punish it very severely. You can side step with rent-a-hero then use either his downward fireball or his running dragon punch and clear the distance before she can recover. Also, Bean has a teleport move, so you can appear behind her leaving her wide open.

It's super cheap, though, especially the triple shot that strings three of them together that you can put into combos.

Janet is otherwise fucking awesome, however, because she's actually Aoi from VF3. Besides the obvious gun move, she has Aoi's moveset. The secret to FMM is that it's quietly a port of VF3 for many characters. Characters like Jacky have their entire VF3 moveset in the game, which makes them play radically different from VF2.

Yeah, it was the triple shot that was cheap. Did not realize many characters had good counters to it.

I liked the VF3 moveset, it was the closest we could get to having VF3 at home since the Saturn version is some big magic mystery on the net. Some say it never happened, some say it did, some say it needed extra hardware. Who knows?

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it was the triple shot that was cheap. Did not realize many characters had good counters to it.

I liked the VF3 moveset, it was the closest we could get to having VF3 at home since the Saturn version is some big magic mystery on the net. Some say it never happened, some say it did, some say it needed extra hardware. Who knows?

In the end, I wound up playing FMM way more than the DC version of VF3, haha. I feel like FMM's extra sega content gives it the edge, it's just by far my favorite sega fighting game. I appreciate how it is dripping with AM2 heritage, and i especially appreciate how it is a legitimately deep and technical fighter (I mean, it's fucking virtua fighter). It's also fun as hell to pick up and play even if you're new to the series.

Like seriously, a perfect fighting game IMO. It even looks killer for the system, with all sorts of great lighting techniques:

RXiA.gif

It's such a super underrated fighting game, because it was a true Sega Saturn exclusive. One of the very best exclusive games on the system, right up there with Panzer Dragoon Saga and Shining Force III. Like tip top sega at their very best.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Night Warriors: Dark Stalker's revenge

the sequel only in japan was great, Vampire Savior. They play extremely similar to the Vs series, especially when it comes to the combo system.

Damn the Saturn was such a beast, one of the best fighting game machines of all time. All these ports smoked the PSX versions.

Wasn't it. This game wasn't "anime" looking.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
That's Fighting Vipers in the OP, not Fighters Megamix.

FMM is definitely my favourite as it's the one I played the most bitd. Just hands down the best 3D fighting game of that generation whether you're in the mood to play seriously or just mess around with joke characters and the hyper mode.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In the end, I wound up playing FMM way more than the DC version of VF3, haha. I feel like FMM's extra sega content gives it the edge, it's just by far my favorite sega fighting game. I appreciate how it is dripping with AM2 heritage, and i especially appreciate how it is a legitimately deep and technical fighter (I mean, it's fucking virtua fighter). It's also fun as hell to pick up and play even if you're new to the series.

Like seriously, a perfect fighting game IMO. It even looks killer for the system, with all sorts of great lighting techniques:

RXiA.gif

It's such a super underrated fighting game, because it was a true Sega Saturn exclusive. One of the very best exclusive games on the system, right up there with Panzer Dragoon Saga and Shining Force III. Like tip top sega at their very best.
I guess it depends what you mean by "true" exclusive, considering it had a Genesis and PC release (though I guess later on).

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
Vampire Savior. God almighty the game, the port, everything about it is gorgeous. No loading, straight 60 fps, the most intense cps2 game running perfectly on the Saturn.

Some would call it art

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Fighters Megamix was one of my favourite games of that generation and the amount of content in that game was absurd. I'd love to go back to it but my memory card isn't working and the battery save on my Saturn is fucked.

I wish they'd bring it to modern consoles.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's Fighting Vipers in the OP, not Fighters Megamix.

FMM is definitely my favourite as it's the one I played the most bitd. Just hands down the best 3D fighting game of that generation whether you're in the mood to play seriously or just mess around with joke characters and the hyper mode.
It is? Doesn't Fighters Megamix have both the character and the stage? How can you tell it's Fighting Vipers?

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018

RXiA.gif

I'm in the same boat, I bought a Dreamcast with VF3:TB and kept coming back to FMM, it really was a love letter to AM2s achievements at the time. I remember my dad pissing himself laughing at the ludicrousness of the Daytona car fighting. The lighting really had that gourad shaded look sometimes, better than the flat shading of VF2.

If only my high school friend gave it back. Fuck.