• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Favourite Malcolm in the Middle Season

• Season 1

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Season 2

• Season 3

• Season 4

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Season 5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Season 6

• Season 7

• Total voters

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
So yeah, I'm on a Malcolm in the Middle rewatch based on all the threads I've been making of it recently. Out of all the seasons in Malcolm in the Middle which one do you consider to be the best?

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
This show was really consistent with it's writing. I've never even thought about which season is best because they all hold up.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
This is hard to say because the show is kind of always good from start to finished. The way the plotlines are structured as well - with 3-4 plots per episode - make it hard to nail down which season as a whole was the best. Francis's plots are better in later seasons. Malcolm's plots are better at the beginning. Reese's plots are better in the middle. Dewey's plots don't really kick in until the end of the show.

So I'm stumped. I guess maybe as a cop out I'll say the first season since it was such groundbreaking television and had the greatest impact.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
It's really hard to pick, but it'd have to come from seasons 1-4. Season one is more endearing & realistic, but seasons 2-4 are a lot funnier with more of the stuff I remember about the show.

While the show is pretty consistently good, I felt like its 'feel' changed when they moved into high school. When Jamie was born at the end of season 4, that's the last we see of the Krelboynes, which eliminated the friend group for Malcom, which I never liked. The plots also get a lot more ridiculous and the show becomes a lot less grounded after season 4, with stuff like Lois traveling to globe to find Reese or Malcom dating a whole family. And while still really good, it lost a bit of the magic of the earlier seasons.

The worst thing they did was with how they regressed Francis's character in the later seasons, and then killed off his entire arc with Otto and Gretchen with a crappy joke about bankrupting them with a fake ATM. Like I know Otto's actor was having health issues, but they could have done it more justice than that.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I can't really tell the seasons apart in my memory, except that it got worse when they introduced Jamie in the last 1-2 seasons?

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
They're all one big blob in my head, but I do feel the show wasn't as good post Jamie.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Such a difficult choice. Show is great from start to finish. I'm gonna pick up the first one just because it's such a strong season to kick an amazing show

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is the show streaming anywhere? I'd love to go back to it. I still haven't seen most of the latter half of the show.

Red_V2

Oct 25, 2017
Is the show streaming anywhere? I'd love to go back to it. I still haven't seen most of the latter half of the show.
Hulu has it.
Also I feel like the show that ended with the
Hal's trial
was probably the best place to end the show imo. I feel like the last season was the weakest because they tried to introduce all these plot lines at the last second and it didn't work at all. Still love the show though

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Not the last season. Isn't that the one where Hal runs his car into a tree trying to kill a bee?

I remember the first season feeling a little raw, if that makes sense. S2-4 is probably a good call. I think the show had its sweet spot in those years.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Season 4 was the peak IMO but the later seasons are still pretty good. Jamie didn't have much personality being almost silent, but he was good for a few gags. And the series finale was surprisingly satisfying.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Having just finished a complete series run as of yesterday, I have to agree that the show's pretty consistent all-around throughout its seven seasons. I think I'm most nostalgic for season 4 due to remembering "Baby" and "Family Reunion" a lot, but season 3 (and every season) had some golden moments. The ranch sideplots were nice as well and I generally saw them as an improvement over Francis' misadventures in Alaska (the rat episode is still one of the funniest things I've ever seen, though).