• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In the thread of users that people have unsubscribed too, it made me realize that many let's players were involved in there. Either through lost interest, or because of something the let's player did, many of us have dropped various LPers throughout the years. What surprised me greatly, was that after purging my subscriptions, I only was really left with 6 LPers left (well, that is if I'm going by those who have let's plays as their main focus, rather than just anyone who has done a let's play). The 6 are: Chip Cheezum, Diabetus, GSTAR321, Proton Jon, Slowbeef, and Void Burger.

1. Chip Cheezum - Known mainly for his Metal Gear LPs, Chip is renowned for the amount of effort he puts into his videos. He makes sure that he makes his videos as well-done as possible, including often offering cut and uncut commentary tracks for various LPs. He is frequently accompanied by Ironicus, who tends to provide a comedic flavour to his informative-style.
  2. Diabetus - Perhaps best known for his part in Retsupurae, Diabetus is the more laid-back counterpart to Slowbeef. I like his sense of humour, and while he doesn't LP that many titles I do enjoy the ones he has made.
  3. GSTAR321 - As far as I know, he is the sole of the 6 who did not come from Something Awful. He mainly covers fighting games and horror games. To be honest, he is the "guilty pleasure", I guess you could say, of the bunch. I just find him hilarious the way he talks about how things are bullshit and how worked up he can get when he's having trouble. However, unlike DSP he is actually good at the games he plays and puts a lot of practice into them before doing his LPs.
  4. Proton Jon - I discovered him through his Superman 64 LP, which around 9 years later is still unfinished! He has also done some other let's plays too, and is well-known for his Mario romhack videos.
  5. Slowbeef - Many people claim that he is the originator of LPs. While that is not really true, I do believe that he made the video video let's play that was actually described as such. He is also the brain behind Retsupurae, which along with Diabetus, have made many classic Wrongpuraes that I find hilarious, and better than their Retsupuraes in all honesty.
  6. Void Burger - Like GSTAR321, she is also a big fan of horror games, and is mainly known for her Silent Hill playthroughs. Her Silent Hill 2 LP in particular had a lot of care taken in order to ensure that everyone would be able to enjoy it: having spoiler-free and more in-depth versions.

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
supergreatfriend
the Men Drinkin' Coffee (inactive)
Kay Plays (also inactive)

Still, the latter two have great back catalogs.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Do Game Grumps count or are they more comedy? Because I love watching Danny and Arin play through a game.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Video Games Awesome is practically the only LP channel I still watch. They've been doing it for nearly a decade now and have never quite reached the level of success or notoriety I think they deserve.

Fraser can be a bit of an acquired taste, but both him and Becky are incredibly genuine people and that shines through in their videos.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Northernlion - Got me into Isaac, but truth is I totally relate to him as someone who grew up in Ontario in the mid-90s/early 00s so I get a lot of references.

He also doesn't commit my cardinal sin of LPs: Overly excited, quick jumps, cuts, his face, etc.

The whole team on the NLSS and Team Unity are my jam.

Last edited:

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
Only one I really enjoyed was Cohh Carnage. He's fun, toned down and is a more 'adult' gamer compared to guys like markiplier and a whole bunch of other youtubers that just scream and seem extremely fake.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I don't follow a lot of these, but I remember the one's The Dark ID did for the Resident Evil franchise (text + picture format, not video) was pretty fun:

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Several years back when I used to follow LP'ers raocow was my favorite. His schtick is maybe a little much in excess, but he's just such a happy, silly guy in a way that still feels genuine and it's hard not to like him. Also evidently he's still going strong after several years and just finished playing literally every Mega Man platformer in existence

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do Game Grumps count or are they more comedy? Because I love watching Danny and Arin play through a game.
I typically watch games that I personally like from them because it's fun to experience the games I like vicariously through Dan, but I've stopped paying attention to their one offs for the most part.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Chuggaaconroy. He combines enthusiastic and entertaining commentary with in-depth, informative commentary. He fills the whole thing with the love of the game he plays, even if it's far from perfect. And you can tell the informative stuff had a lot of work put into them, so the videos can serve as a thorough walkthrough of the game. Also his Animal Crossing let's play is just the best let's play ever.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
Northernlion was the first I actually ended up watching after I'd been a fan of The Binding of Isaac for a while. I love almost every person that's part of that crew, and the NLSS is consistently amazingly funny. I've ended up watching less here recently since I'm not a fan of the content involving Dan Gheesling and I've pretty much gotten bored with Isaac though.

DumbDog (recently changed from Last_Grey_wolf) I came across from the NLSS crew, and he's just an entertaining and kind dude. Same for Baertaffy, Alpacapatrol, and almost all of the streamers in the same orbit.

Mr. Spoons

Alt Account
Apr 20, 2019
Only Giantbomb and Im not sure they really count. But I will always watch GBEast especially play anything together.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I used to watch a lot of LPers play through games I had beaten just to see their reactions to things that I found cool, scary or whatever but I stopped watching a lot of them for different reasons. I've become quite picky and will remove people for pretty silly reasons. One horror game player promptly lost my sub when she didn't at all react or seemed to understand the ending of one of my favorite horror games.

Two that I still check from time to time are CJUGames and MetalCanyon. I especially like CJUGames facecam deal where he doesn't have it visible during the episode but put highlights at the end where you can see his reactions. MetalCanyon is great at keeping long playthroughs fun.

GrandmaParty

Apr 21, 2019
I need recommendations for more funny LPers that don't physically read the text in games aloud to fill time. It seems like 90% of the people who do RPG LPs do just that and it pisses me off.

The only person I watch right now is Danaru.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Templin Institute.

They create amazing videos on established universes (Warhammer, Star Wars, Fallout etc), and have lets plays.

But what I really like is when they boil down their 2-3 hour lets play into a 10-15 minute cinematic movie. for Stellaris.

Their Stellaris series is AMAZING. The narrator is spot on, production values are off the charts.

GrandmaParty

Apr 21, 2019
Guy was pretty much devastated. Honestly I don't think he will ever come back.

He's slowly working his way out of his funk on Twitter but it's going to be a long, long time. His LPs brought him a lot of joy so I think he'll eventually be back. Just gonna take some time to heal.

Oh fuck, hey Grandma XD

Hay girl hay.

I actually got some good advice from this forum that basically asked for no-commentary LPs so they could just have a chill experience. Ever since then, whenever i upload something, I'll usually include a no-commentary version beside it. It doesn't get the same views but at least it's making people happy.

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Northernlion was the first I actually ended up watching after I'd been a fan of The Binding of Isaac for a while. I love almost every person that's part of that crew, and the NLSS is consistently amazingly funny. I've ended up watching less here recently since I'm not a fan of the content involving Dan Gheesling and I've pretty much gotten bored with Isaac though.

DumbDog (recently changed from Last_Grey_wolf) I came across from the NLSS crew, and he's just an entertaining and kind dude. Same for Baertaffy, Alpacapatrol, and almost all of the streamers in the same orbit.
Northernlion and the whole NLSS crew are great. I love Dan Gheesling's stream and any time he collaborates with the NLSS, but I guess I can see how he could be a bit much for some people.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Kyle bosman from easy allies is a super easy recomendation. His tetris streams were God tier entertainment. He recently did a Nintendo labo vehicle kit stream that was stupid fun.

Yiazmat

Oct 25, 2017
It's very hard for me to find a let's player I like. I loathe the overreacting screaming type that is very common to see. And the ones I really like rarely play the games I'm interested in.

But a couple of ones I enjoy are:

- A German Spy who has the best Persona 5 let's play I watched. What I like about him is that he spends a lot of time just talking about the environments, trying to read all the posters and billboards and giving his insight into japanese culture. He also has a very good P4Golden LP. Unfortunately he's only active on twitch now.

- Keith Ballard has LPs of several popular games. I like his LPs of the Yakuza series and his BotW one is great too.

Rattlethyhead

Jan 7, 2019
Keith Ballard has so many great full playthroughs. The Witness is my personal favorite! Watching at Darkwood LP by him right now, it's fantastic. Give him a shot!

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
HCbailey: was my go-to LP'er for many many old school JRPG's haven't watched him for ages though, either because of a shift of tone/representation in his videos or because of the games he played
Northernlion: I like his multiplayer videos with his crew, not really his solo videos
Quill18: The Master and go-to-guy for niche Strategy games
Rhadamant: pretty niche Factorio/Rimworld/Kenshi/others player
Sashasilvermoon: She was a pretty active JRPG player some years ago, only does solo videos or single streaming events now
rinimt: Same as sashasilvermoon who doesn#t really make much videos anymore.
Skye Storm: Up and coming niche Strategy gamer
Super Jeenius: did many JRPG and Visual Novel LP's not active since over a year ago.
Visual Novelity: does JRPG's and Visual novels
CohhCarnage: big Variety streamer (who posts all the streams in 30 minute videos on his yt channel)

for the German Audience:
Aldemar HD: Funny guy who doesn't shy away from super niche or very long LP's
Gronkh: maybe the biggest German LP'er, good guy and fights for social and political issues, variety gamer

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
NorthernLion
Vinny Vinesauce
Super Best Friends Play (now split, but backlog is wonderful)

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Chuggaaconroy. He combines enthusiastic and entertaining commentary with in-depth, informative commentary. He fills the whole thing with the love of the game he plays, even if it's far from perfect. And you can tell the informative stuff had a lot of work put into them, so the videos can serve as a thorough walkthrough of the game. Also his Animal Crossing let's play is just the best let's play ever.
John Wolfe, also use to be known as HarshleyCritical (as far as I remember. I hate watching people play horror games whilst overreacting, it's just silly. This guy doesn't do that.

Yea all of these are good.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man I hate that so much.

"Thank you for the sub/dono" every 30 seconds...

Signal to quit.
Like, I can understand why they do it, because there is more money in Twitch and livestreaming now, but what surprises me with that is just how many people are trying to make a living off of it. Like, I assume those who make nothing off of their LPs are much less likely to turn to livestreams.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
I love ChristopherOdd and his LP's of Western RPG's.

I also really like Mangs, one of the more popular Fire Emblem youtubers out there.

Oct 25, 2017
Showing my age here but is there a distinction between LP's and 'watch a person play something I cannot or will not play myself?'

I would like to follow or easily navigate to a series of a game playthrough that I'm perhaps stuck in or need some tips in and I know I'm barking up the wrong tree looking for a Let's Play instead of a 'Things You Should Know' etc.

Games with heavy story or mechanics that need a demonstration but are deep into the game itself are usually things I either am hoping to avoid when looking for a video about said game (ie a story spoiler during or near a really hard bit) or I want to see how a particular weapon handles once it's fully upgraded).

I once started a Silent Hill LP by a well-known but really grating Youtube personality and I couldn't stand it. Now I can't disassociate the game from the LP'er. That would be the worst thing for me, but for others I accept it's probably the norm nowadays.

I'm following two german channels:

Rocketbeans - They actually have a 24/7 livestream, like their own TV channel with a lot of none gaming related stuff too, and the uploads spread over separate channels. I'm following some of the core team for nearly 20 years by now; it's like a big family. (Man, how does time fly?)
T23 - They tend to play older and or not well known games. It's really interesting to see, what they bring up next. But they rarely finish the game, mostly it's a first look.

I'm often watching games I would never watch/play on my own, if not shown on one of those channels. But with the commentary of someone I like, it can really be more entertaining.

Showing my age here but is there a distinction between LP's and 'watch a person play something I cannot or will not play myself?'
In that case I prefer to search for a walkthrough without commentary.
If one of my trusted channels plays a game I'm into, it's a nice win win situation. But I'd never start a random Let's Play on YT. Better enjoy the game "raw" then.

ReCross

Oct 25, 2017
Marbozir/quill18 for their 4X content are both great
Kay Plays because she was amazing
Strange Rebel Gaming, especially when bri plays horror games.