• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Favourite House in Fire Emblem Three Houses

• Black Eagles

Votes: 279 44.1%
  • Blue Lions

Votes: 152 24.1%
  • Golden Deer

Votes: 201 31.8%

• Total voters

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Blue Lions>Golden Deer=Black Eagles

Blue Lions has the best story in Azure Moon and outside of Dedue (who's still decent, albeit hindered by wasted potential), everyone in the house is at least good. Dimitri is probably my favorite lord in the series, if not my favorite character in the series period, and Sylvain and Felix aren't that far behind.

Golden Deer is fairly polarized in terms of its characters - Marianne and Lysithea are two of my favorite characters in the series, Hilda and Lorenz are also good, but Claude is definitely the weakest lord in Three Houses and Ignatz and Raphael are both forgettable. Verdant Wind is good as a story but doesn't compare to Azure Moon or the other really good FE stories.

Black Eagles is hindered by the fact that Crimson Flower, whilst not being bad, per se (it's still a monumental leap forward from Conquest in executing the core concept of a "villain route" in that it's actually possible to empathize with Edelgard), is definitely the weakest story of Three Houses. With regards to characters, Dorothea is probably my third or fourth favorite character in the series, being a very rare example of a well-executed fanservice character in a JRPG, Edelgard is probably my favourite villain in the series, though Petra is overrated, Caspar is meh, and Bernadetta is the one character in Three Houses which I'll say is flat out bad.
Surprising number of fascists in this thread.

All hail Prince Dimitri.
Edelgard isn't a fascist, she's more a radical leftist revolutionary akin to Robespierre in that her ostensible goal is to create a more equitable and just society and in comparison she doesn't place a significant value on human life.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Black Eagles (Crimson Flower) for life.

You what?

I know Three Houses lowered people's standards for what to expect from Fire Emblem storytelling but the main BE path is easily the worst paced of the four and has the worst, most frustrating ending.

Love the house, it's probably my favorite in terms of characters, but the story the characters are attached to is awful.

Depending on which route you mean by 'main', Silver Snow is definitely overshadowed by Verdant Winds being a better executed, longer, and more-answers variant of the same story....

While Crimson Flower was a late-addition to the game, and is clearly a product of rushed/not enough development time - KT had to fight to include a 'proper' CF route at all.

The NA translation also purportedly messed up/changed several facets regarding the particulars of Edelgard and her thoughts on both Rhea and the church, which doesn't do her already-oft-vilified characterization any favors.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Here's my scientific breakdown:

Black Eagles
Edelgard: Amazing(ly evil)
Hubert: Loser
Ferdinand: Loser
Lindhart: Loser
Caspar: Loser
Bernadetta: So-so
Dorathea: Amazing
Petra: Amazing

Blue Lions
Dimitri: Amazing(ly melodramatic)
Dedue: Amazing
Felix: Amazing
Ashe: Loser
Sylvain: Loser
Mercedes: Amazing
Annette: So-so
Ingrid: So-so

Golden Deer
Claude: Amazing
Lorenz: Amazing
Raphael: Amazing
Ignatz: Loser
Lysithea: Amazing
Marianne: Amazing
Hilda: Amazing
Leonie: Amazing

Claude the Gaude and his band of misfits come out on top. Fear the Deer.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
While Crimson Flower was a late-addition to the game, and is clearly a product of rushed/not enough development time - KT had to fight to include a 'proper' CF route at all.

The NA translation also purportedly messed up/changed several facets regarding the particulars of Edelgard and her thoughts on both Rhea and the church, which doesn't do her already-oft-vilified characterization any favors.
This is the first time i've heard of this. Details?

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
This is the first time i've heard of this. Details?

The 'KT staff had to push for Edelgard getting a route at all' has been documented in several interviews with the staff after the game's launch.

The mistranslation/editting stuff is less concrete 'silver bullet' examples, but I've heard of a few of them from several people who've played both versions.

Edelgard's 'ending' line during the cutscene in CF in JPN doesn't mention Rhea's 'tyranny' the same way the NA version does (it instead mentions something along the lines of 'your work/role is done'), and after Byleth's ascension post-void-zone, JPN Edelgard is much more clear about her anger/bitterness at the church/goddess's inaction (however much 'blame' should be assigned therein, but likely going back to the emphasis on crests/nobility being part of the reason why her abductors worked with the Slitherers) with Byleth miraculously having received Sothis' favor, when Edelgard begged and begged but was ignored.

There's also this google doc - https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1pGLIxZrHkC0qSfIs2Zaqi_vObPu0Iuo2TnVGZaGLGcs/mobilebasic - which has more details on the above, as well as less blatant/egregious examples*

*Note also that the doc clearly states at the beginning that it has a pro-Edelgard slant.

Courfeyrac

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
It's the Golden Deer for me. Great route, great range of characters, and Claude is the most interesting lord out of the houses.

Not to say I didn't enjoy my AM and CF playthroughs, but I missed the personality of GD in my subsequent playthroughs.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I thought people hated Edelgard.
Nah, she rules. One of the most interesting characters of the game. Her detractors are just loud. Mostly from those who played Azure Moon first and internalized Dimitri's hate for her, despite the whole point of that route being that he gives up that hate.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
I have only played Blue Lions, but it feels to me if you like specific characters in the other houses, you can always recruit them for your playthrough, but with the BL group, all of the characters (besides Ashe) feel like package deals. I'm know that this is what everybody says regarding their originally picked route, but since these ones are preexisting friendships it feels a little more relevant.

There seem to be a lot of dedicated fans here, at any rate.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Black Eagles

Though they're better once Edelgard and Hubert are gone.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Here's my scientific breakdown:
Golden Deer
Claude: Amazing
Lorenz: Amazing
Raphael: Amazing
Ignatz: Loser
Lysithea: Amazing
Marianne: Amazing
Hilda: Amazing
Leonie: Amazing

Claude the Gaude and his band of misfits come out on top. Fear the Deer.

Imagine thinking Ignatz is the loser of Golden Deer when dipshit Lorenz exists.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Black Eagles and it isn't even close but I did enjoy the Golden Deer campaign and never played the Blue Lions because Dimitri is a chump.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
She's a pretty polarizing character, makes her a pretty interesting character to people that likes/hates her, which is a great thing for a character to have (Nothing is worse than a character that ppl don't care about.)

The player initial route seems to be a good way to get the feeling if you're gonna like or dislike her, since it can personally paint her actions in the game into either a good or bad light for the rest of the experience. Just a shame that ppl like to paint badly those that does not feel the same way of them about her, since she made the discourse about the game and what it means to player really come to life, whether you like her or not.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Those Golden Deer kids are a bunch of freaks and I love them.

yAWvY6w.gif

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Edelgard isn't a fascist, she's more a radical leftist revolutionary
Nothing about Edelgard's political views are leftist.

"Meritocracy" is the most libertarian of lies. And she not only remains an emperor, but remains an emperor with more power than her father had because she took back the absolute rule that he'd lost in the Insurrection of the Seven

Say what you will about his story and characterization. Mechanically, Critnatz is the most lethal character in the game. And that justifies his existence to me.

Last edited:

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Lion has top 3 supporting characters: Anette, Felix, Sylvain.
Golden Deer has the bottom 3: Raphael, Leonie, Marianne.
Black Eagles would be in the middle. I don't love the cast, but also they don't annoy me as much as Golden Deer. Kinda disappointing as they have the best designs.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
And she not only remains an emperor, but remains an emperor with more power than her father had because she took back the absolute rule that he'd lost in the Insurrection of the Seven

.....lmao.

She gives up being the Emperor in most, if not all, of her ending supports after she's raised the 'floor' for education, and abolished the aristocracy-based system, and while her 'meritocracy' may not be as nuanced as AM Dimitri's mix of using the nobility to help usher in equality, that very 'meritocracy', depending on which supports you choose for her, can go further into detail on how that idea is tempered and adjusted over time, such as if you choose Ferdinand for her 'romantic' support.

Her solo ending slide straight up says '

As the new Adrestian emperor, Edelgard dedicated her life to reshaping the delicate political structure of FĂłdlan. With tireless work and great sacrifice, she reformed the class system to ensure a free and independent society for all. In her later years, she entrusted her life's work to a worthy successor before finally vanishing from the public eye.

Now, you can take that with a grain of salt, because 'every' ending has unequivocal 'good vibes', but let's not be selective about it.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
.....lmao.

She gives up being the Emperor in most, if not all, of her ending supports after she's raised the 'floor' for education, and abolished the aristocracy-based system, and while her 'meritocracy' may not be as nuanced as AM Dimitri's mix of using the nobility to help usher in equality, that very 'meritocracy', depending on which supports you choose for her, can go further into detail on how that idea is tempered and adjusted over time, such as if you choose Ferdinand for her 'romantic' support.

Her solo ending slide straight up says '

Now, you can take that with a grain of salt, because 'every' ending has unequivocal 'good vibes', but let's not be selective about it.
Going to point out that all this means is she retired from the throne when she got old, nothing in that blurb implies that she removed the concept of royalty or that the successor isn't related to her, she just gave the role to another person. Like I don't think I'd give a real life monarch props for letting someone else take control of the country when they're old and tired of dealing with the idea of ruling a country while they still reap the benefits of being royalty

Last edited:

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
She gives up being the Emperor in most, if not all, of her ending supports
She abdicates after years of ruling and picks her own successor. She expressly stole power back in the story and she never returns it in any of her endings.

and abolished the aristocracy-based system,
She expressly does not abolish nobility. She abolishes noble claims being based on crests. Literally all of her friends remain nobility.

AM Dimitri's mix of using the nobility to help usher in equality
?

Dimitri's ending literally has him starting a fledgling Democratic process.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
nothing in that blurb implies that she removed the concept of royalty or that the successor isn't related to her

Edelgard tea time quote said:

She abdicates after years of ruling and picks her own successor. She expressly stole power back in the story and she never returns it in any of her endings.

She expressly does not abolish nobility. She abolishes noble claims being based on crests. Literally all of her friends remain nobility.

?

Dimitri's ending literally has him starting a fledgling Democratic process.

Does not abolish nobility? Did you pay any attention. It's right there in Crimson Flower's ending.

tfAg3Z6.png

She even gives the full breakdown in Constance's A support [timestamped]

Meanwhile, Dimitri has never said a single word about democracy or constitutional monarchy or any such thing. That all is pure fanfiction born from how his solo ending is so vague that fans prescribe whatever they want onto it.

Last edited:

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Going to point out that all this means is she retired from the throne when she got old, nothing in that blurb implies that she removed the concept of royalty or that the successor isn't related to her, she just gave the role to another person. Like I don't think I'd give a real life monarch props for letting someone else take control of the country when they're old and tired of dealing with the idea of ruling a country while they still reap the benefits of being royalty

It literally says ' As the new Adrestian emperor, Edelgard dedicated her life to reshaping the delicate political structure of FĂłdlan. With tireless work and great sacrifice, she reformed the class system to ensure a free and independent society for all. "

It also straight up says she 'vanished from the public eye', not 'retired to a life of luxury as retired royalty'

Like....it's not a flat-out explicit 'Edelgard did away with the class system AND THUS TRANSFORMED THE ROLE OF EMPEROR INTO PRESIDENT', I guess, but it seems fairly indicative to me, as I don't know how one can have a 'free and independent society' while having one central monarch as the sole ruler.

Several of her paired ending also indicate this, such as Ferdinand's, or to a lesser degree, Byleth romance or Lysithea.

Also, she explicitly states she 'WON'T' give the Emperor title to her children, but instead, pick the most worthy (which I can recognize/admit has equally potentially bad pitfalls)

She expressly stole power back in the story and she never returns it in any of her endings.

What does 'ensure a free and independent society' mean to you? If the people are free and independent, that's decidedly 'NOT' being under a central monarch figure, no?

Hence....Edelgard 'does' give up (at least some of) her power?

From Manuela's ending -
As the new Adrestian emperor, Edelgard gave all she had to breathe new life into the government of FĂłdlan. Her first objective was to institute new class reforms and ensure the people's independence.

Lysithea's paired ending -
For her counsel in instituting class reforms and ensuring the independence of the people, Lysithea came to be known as the Wisdom of the Empire

...Also, stole back power.....from the noble houses who overthrew her father and were (mostly) complicit in what happened to her siblings? Or were you referring to taking over all of Fodlan?

Let's not try to pretend the nobles had the best of intentions, lmao - they were just trying to create an oligarchy instead of a monarchy. And afaik, we aren't given a reason as to why Ionius wanted to consolidate central power - and while I can agree that it's not generally a good thing, we don't have near enough to go on.

Meanwhile, Dimitri has never said a single word about democracy or constitutional monarchy or any such thing. That all is pure fanfiction born from how his solo ending is so vague that fans prescribe whatever they want onto it.

Teeeeechnically it say something along the lines of 'people would have a voice in their government', which is just as vague as to what that actually entails as is the notion of 'meritocracy' being thrown at Edelgard, lol.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Golden Deer is the best route. Least power-hungry route and I felt satisfied with the overall story and the Byleth story, though I think the Byleth story was not as well executed.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Does not abolish nobility? Did you pay any attention. It's right there in Crimson Flower's ending
It's cute how you cut it off before the sentence finishes the sentence.

"... and rebuild a world free from the tyranny of Crests"

You know. The thing she spent the whole game raging against. The thing that Fodlan's entrenched system of nobility is built upon.

Don't be like those people who say the first Amendment says "Congress shall make no law".

She even gives the full breakdown in Constance's A support [timestamped]
You mean this conversation where she expressly says the nobility will still exist? Where Nobles will work as civil servants and civil servants will also be drawn from the population (a distinction that wouldn't have to be made if there was no nobility)? The one where Constance talks about her reestablished noble house will distinguish itself through merit, not that she herself as an individual would.

Again:

She expressly does not abolish nobility.

That all is pure fanfiction born from how his solo ending is so vague that fans prescribe whatever they want onto it.
At least it's actually based on something and not literally contradicting the actual story.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
What does 'ensure a free and independent society' mean to you? If the people are free and independent, that's decidedly 'NOT' being under a central monarch figure, no?
She literally designates a successor

No matter how much you try to weasel out of this, them's the facts.

From Manuela's ending -

Lysithea's paired ending -
"Class reform" is not "aboloshing the nobility". As indicated in her Constance A support, her intention is for the nobility to remain, but serve a different role and for the selection of people from the gen pop to also serve in the roles to somehow fix social stratification.

...Also, stole back power.....from the noble houses who overthrew her father and were (mostly) complicit in what happened to her siblings? Or were you referring to taking over all of Fodlan?
Does McConnell being an evil piece of shit mean we should give the President unilateral absolute power?

She replaced those people with people who were supposedly meritorious enough to deserve those roles. Why, then, does she need to continue to wield absolute power?

Sure would be nice to have one Three Houses thread without the Edelgard haters ruining all the fun
Please. I love Edelgard's character. And I think the continued woobification of her goals and actions are an extreme disservice to the work that went into writing her.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
Golden Deer probably has the best "route", but 2/3 of its characters are uninteresting, and Leicester feels just kind of "there" in other routes.

Blue Lions have two of the game's best characters, but the worst of the three Lord characters and the least interesting route.

Crimson Flower has the best Byleth ending and less boring house members overall, but it feels like it's missing a few chapters particularly since fighting TWSITD is literally relegated to the ending slides.

No real feelings about Silver Snow, except that Rhea sucks and the characters that are staunchly pro-church (i.e., the ones that won't join you if you go against the church) don't have very interesting characterization beyond "I live to serve Rhea".

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
It's truly a tie between the Golden Deer and the Blue Lions.
Although the bumblelords of the Golden Deer are just so endearing.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Something about Edelgard ruling/not ruling after CF's ending:
Isn't there an implication that she doesn't have long to live regardless because of being experimented on like Lysithea? I always thought that was one of the reasons she passes on her ruling to someone else.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
It's cute how you cut it off before the sentence finishes the sentence.

"... and rebuild a world free from the tyranny of Crests"

You know. The thing she spent the whole game raging against. The thing that Fodlan's entrenched system of nobility is built upon.

Don't be like those people who say the first Amendment says "Congress shall make no law".

I have literally no idea how you think that contradicts anything.

You mean this conversation where she expressly says the nobility will still exist? Where Nobles will work as civil servants and civil servants will also be drawn from the population (a distinction that wouldn't have to be made if there was no nobility)? The one where Constance talks about her reestablished noble house will distinguish itself through merit, not that she herself as an individual would.

I'm not sure how you watched the conversation where Constance is inquires if the nobility will completely changed in the long term, and Edelgard responds that it will, to the point where its just a non-hereditary job title that anyone could earn, and somehow your conclusion is that this means the nobility just continues on as it has. Sorry there isn't an entire class of civil servants waiting in the wings to take over on day one, but acting as if a non-zero amount of nobles being part of the first wave of the transition period means that the dozens of times Crimson Flowers states that the nobility system has come to an end is all lies is disingenuous as all hell.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
She literally designates a successor

No matter how much you try to weasel out of this, them's the facts.

Designating a 'successor' to continue her work does not somehow magically equate to her retaining unilateral absolute power.

I'm not sure how the 'Free and independent society' she strove for (which the game explicitly points out she pushed for, and eventually achieved) somehow is also possible with that, so I'm not sure why you're somehow fixated on the idea that she retains absolute control.

Free and independent society =/= under the control of an absolute monarch, unless the monarch is willing to just let everyone do as the please and be the nicest monarch ever without fail.

Does McConnell being an evil piece of shit mean we should give the President unilateral absolute power?

She replaced those people with people who were supposedly meritorious enough to deserve those roles. Why, then, does she need to continue to wield absolute power?

Where does it say she retains unilateral veto power and rules over all of Fodlan without anyone challenging her/stopping her?

I could see the argument being made that she 'drags' Fodlan kicking and screaming (at least the nobility) in terms of social equality (or at least the path towards it), but I don't see where it says she retains that power forever.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
Black eagles siding with edelgard ended in a same sex marriage and what sounding like a working class revolution against the oligarchs, so that one.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sure would be nice to have one Three Houses thread without the Edelgard haters ruining all the fun
It's only one poster arguing with 2 others, there should not be that much derailing, unless people decide to deliberately jump into that.
On-topic : I'm surprised thinking about it that ashen wolves were not in the poll, even as a joke option. That dlc was pretty dang great and while it's not a class per-say, its characters are pretty good and worthy of being talked about.

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
Golden Deer for sure. I like everyone. They seem like by far the most normal group of students. Lorenz even makes a great punching

Also Claude = Best Lord