• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Every game tends to offer at least something fun or unique. Whether universal to its roster like SF3's parry or certain characters like EWGF. For example:

Universal: Edge Cancel (SSBM) landing an aerial attack with horizontal momentum near an edge will interrupt the animation and let you start another instantly which results in some really wild chains.
UnconsciousWhimsicalAfricanmolesnake-size_restricted.gif

Character Specific: Support cancelling (Braixen in Pokken DX) cancel any normal into whichever of the 38 supports you equipped allowing for some interesting builds and counter-picks, unsafe moves becoming safe and also creating some interesting combos etc. The way you build meter for this was also unique.

That's pretty neat mention: Instruments used for the various stage music changes depending on who is winning a round in Thems Fightin Herds (im sure this has been done before but I can't remember where)

Last edited:

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Any move that lets you dive under fireballs just for the fuck you energy to spammers.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Garou T.O.P. system and the way blocking worked in that game.

Actually can I just pick Garou as a whole?

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Personas in Persona 4 Arena. Each character having 2 buttons dedicated solely to summoning their persona, offense based around attacking simultaneously alongside your persona, and hitting the opponent's persona to remove their persona cards (gauge) being part of the meta all made the game for me. Aside from maybe Capcom's Jojo's game, it's a wholly unique system in fighting games that no other has.

Uncle Sensei

Oct 25, 2017
KI 2013's instinct system I thought was really cool. Every character has a unique technique or buff you can pop at least once a match.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Project Justice - the team up super attacks are dope as hell, PLUS the ability for the victim to spend meter to try to get out of it was a fun and hectic maneuver. Great concept that hasn't been seen in a game since. Edit - I suppose injustice has a similar mechanic, though it's simplified

Last edited:

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One gimmick that all fighting games have... even 3D fighters now, are super moves. For me it never gets old. It's a big reason why I play them. The other one is the slow-mo gimmick in Tekken 7. Hot damn does it make fights hype.

In terms of mechanics I'd have to say parrying from 3S and Tailspin/Cork screws for Tekken.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Aerial rave, team hyper combos blew my mind back in the day

As a degenerate though... Xfactor. God it was so dumb but so hype 😂

On that note, X-23's Silent Kill (DIRT NAP) on level 3 or hell even level 2 xfactor was hilarious. Stole several wins with that nonsense. Best super ever.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
So many.

SF3 Parry
Melee Wavedashing
Melee Extended grapples
Smash reflects
Smash Link's shield
GGXR2 Jacko's RTS system
KI Combo breakers
KI3 Tusk's bully frames
KI3 Aria's forms/assists
KI3 Omen's random fireballs
UMVC3 Frank West's leveling up
UMVC3 Phoenix's evidence system
Any time a character has limited ammo which doesn't refill
Rekka rollercoasters/dancing blade type moves
BlazBlue Susano's move unlocking
Hopeless Masquerade Koishi Komeiji' and her time delay moves
BlazBlue Nine The Phantom's spell combining
SC6 lethal hits in general and Astaroth's "after ring out" move setups specifically
Dissidia Exdeath's defensiveness
Skullgirl's potential character stacking
Skullgirl Eliza's Sekhmet specifically
DBFZ Beerus' orbs of whatever
DBFZ Ginyu's support team
SF4 one frame links

More wacky systems in fighters please!

Last edited:

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite fighting game mechanic is Super Armor. Love bulldozing through my opponents bs and denying them their turn. Always so satisfying.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I'm a big fan of Tifa's feint gimmick in Dissidia 012. In a game with really fun newcomers across the board, she definitely stuck out.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this counts but I like how Skullgirls lets you use pretty much any move as an assist, which can make for some pretty interesting assist setups/combos.

BurnKnuckle21

Nov 17, 2017
I loved the ring outs and barrier breaks in Real Bout. There's so many great mechanics but that comes to mind first.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly

Street Fighter vs. Marvel Super Heroes: Finishing a match with a team super would cause the game to show the name of the combined super along with the announcer saying it. It's still the coolest damn thing in a fighting game.
hqdefault.jpg

Yeah it might be one of the cheaper efforts and least balanced of the vs. series but FFFFff I love the art for it and this little gimmick.

In terms of actual mechanics, probably Delayed Hyper Combos, aka linking a super into another super. Vs. series, Dragon Ball FighterZ, heck even Street Fighter EX kinda.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
Killer Instinct 2013's Instinct system
TJ Combo's barrage from the same game where, if he can hit all 6 regular normals consecutively without being broken, he gets about 45% damage for next to no execution
MvCI/BBTAG Active Tags
UMK3/MKII Friendships

T.I (uh oh)

Oct 29, 2017
I'm gonna say the points based system in Fighter's Destiny. Created a nice meta game between my group of mates. Would love to see something similar come back.
Also, I love the implementation of Brutalities in MKX/11. Nothing is more satisfying than obviously trying to hit the requirements of the Brutality and still pulling it off.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
All the innovative mechanics created by SNK over the years in Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, Samurai Shodown, KoF... Dash, Super Meter, Hop, Hyper hop, Desperation moves, dodge, roll, block cancel roll, taunt, parry, multiple planes... Incredible how influential and risk takers they were.

Growing with all of these games when they launched since Fatal Fury 1 is something I'll never forget, and the reason why, for me, KoF is the pinnacle of FG gameplay and mechanics along with Tekken.

If I have to choose, it's any universal mechanic allowing freedom of movement. Forward dash, back dash, Hop, Hyper hop, rolls, etc...

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Attacks that hit downed opponents are always cool to me even if they have limited utility.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Isms/Grooves/Moons and the likes are an amazing way to triple or double a cast and make the same character play entirely differently depending on which is chosen.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I really love little stage gimmicks like breakable barrels and boxes in SFII, ring outs in Real Bout Fatal Fury and so on.

Also love bonus stages like the car smashing stage. So cool.

And anyone remember the cool character damage in Art Of Fighting? You could smack a dude's shades off his face even.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Personas in Persona 4 Arena. Each character having 2 buttons dedicated solely to summoning their persona, offense based around attacking simultaneously alongside your persona, and hitting the opponent's persona to remove their persona cards (gauge) being part of the meta all made the game for me. Aside from maybe Capcom's Jojo's game, it's a wholly unique system in fighting games that no other has.
"Killing" someone's Persona and then just going IN was so fun.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
In no order:

1. Wavedashing From Melee - While unintentional, to be honest I liked how this kinda blew the game wide open back when it was discovered. It made some characters with terrible, slow rolls (I played Samus, so this was definitely felt) into very, very mobile characters able to hang with the faster characters. Samus really hasn't been the same since Melee because of this.

2. GRD from Under Night - I'm still learning UNIST, but the GRD system is actually pretty interesting; it rewards thoughtful play without being overly defensive or offensive, and can open the way to cancels/filling meter in a pinch, etc.

3. Advancing Guard/Push Block from MvC3/BBTAG - If you're going to make a crazy tag game with screen filling crazy combos, at least give me a way to push a "get the fuck off me for a second" button. And no, Reflect from DBFZ doesn't feel as good to use at all, and it's a gigantic gamble.

4. Gabranth's EX Burst in FF Dissidia - I liked that the original Dissidia games had a pretty big variety of character archetypes and builds, but I like how Gabranth can go from a pretty mediocre character to a walking god of destruction when in EX Mode, complete with entirely new moves.

5. Persona Break from Persona 4 Arena/Ultimax - Carefully break Yukiko's persona after successfully blocking her attacks. RUSH. THAT. SHIT. DOWN.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
the Increase System in Under Night
it's just charged normals but they add such a level of OOMPH and variety to character movesets

Hilda's charged C is my everything

Kevinsky

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Rival Schools' Team Attacks

Personal favorite is probably Nagare @ 1:36
and also the 5 second 1st to hit minigame where you can try to cancel it.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
I'm rewatching some Bloody Roar 2 vids and remembered that I used to play this game a lot when I was young (Bakuryu is badass)

Yeah, I'm also adding a mention for the Beast Transformations. It was always cathartic as fuck to knock people through the stage barriers with the transformation hits

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Marth's tip of the sword/tipper mechanic is a personal favorite of mine.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
X Factor is reckless as all hell as a competitive mechanic from a design perspective and I love the tight tension and terror it introduces into a match of MVC3/UMVC3.