• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I haven't played the game, but does that hot guy with the armor from Fire Emblem: 3 Houses count? Alois?

latest

I'm disappointed he is remembered by the armour and not the dad jokes.

ItsOKAY

Jan 26, 2018
Frankfurt, Germany

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
I love how this is what JRPGs think 'old' is. Age 35.

Oh Christ

Anyway, Old Snake is my answer. Kojima had to cheat a bit to get him there but he does great stuff with an old man protagonist. But he's already been posted a ton so I'll say Radius from Chrono Cross. He's the elderly martial artist with a bit extra.

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
Matsuno writes some great ones. We got Orlandu from Final Fantasy Tactics:

2MQLvEl.jpg

Respected general, loyal, upstanding good guy, and an absolute beast with a sword. Also the foster father of another one of the best characters, Orran. Just a great character outside of him being way too good in the game.

Diego from Tactics Ogre PSP:

8rcfAzf.jpg

In his younger years he was a pirate, did all matter of bad things that comes with being one and was dang good at it. He changed and quit after someone he loved died. He spent a large amount of time in a port city being a drunkard and a broken man. As the main character meets him his story is about finding who he is in a war torn country. It was pretty good.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
6b9340909106bb3b1c1efabdd218ca45.jpg

Cairne motherfucking Bloodhoof. Incredibly old, incredibly gentle, incredibly wise and incredibly strong. Fed up with Garrosh's warmongering, he challenged the orc, who was in his prime, to a duel to the death... and he would've won handily, were it not for the poison Garrosh inadvertently used to cripple him.

Cairne died in that battle, and the world of Warcraft died with him. Years later, it still hurts.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Only one I can really think of now. edit: according to the SNK wiki, he's an octogenarian

I can do the "Kaim from Lost Odyssey is like1000 years old," but that's dumb. I think Sed in that game is probably a better pick for "elderly." ...and he wants his mommy!

Haven't played Hivebusters yet, but Hoffman in the trailer seems to be getting pretty old.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
From Google.
The World Health Organisation believes that most developed world countries characterize old age starting at 60 years and above.

Basically, elderly is retirement age/ age when you're eligible for state pensions and social security.
The majority of posts here are middle aged at best.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Wait what?? he's 35??? I'm 40 and I look waaaaay younger than him.
Another 35-year-old 'old man' in JRPGs is Raven from Tales of Vesperia, who spends even more time having both him and the cast comment on how 'old' he is.
Now that I think about it, the same goes for Gall from Tales of Hearts, who looks about 30 but is listed as 45 and almost his entire dialogue is him banging on about how ready for retirement and close to the end of life he is :D

Last edited: