• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
But, fucking hell, do not put your jam on your scone first, as you'll be thrown out of the county.
Why would someone put jam first?

2v9.gif

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
Welsh people saying "tad-ha" as a way of saying bye.

Devonshire people saying "a'right my lurve?"

As a Welsh dude, it's ta ra, or if your shouting at someone as they're leaving it's traaaa. I also think it's also a northern English thing because Cilla Black used to say it a lot, and I've heard it used a lot in different regions.

I work in a Welsh town that's known for using the word "cont" towards everyone in all situations. The English translation is Cunt.

Examples, "Iawn cont" translates into, "Are you ok cunt."
Another example," Ty weld y cont dros y strydd? Mae cont gwirion yn mynd allan hevor mam chi."
Translation, "You see that cunt across the street? That stupid cunt is going out with your mum."

It's crazy how often the word is used and its only used regularly if you are from that area.

JJH

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Electric kettles. Why not use a microwave.

forgot the /s apparently.

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Electric kettles. Why not use a microwave.
Wut. So you can boil enough water to make tea for all the people who have just turned up at once, or so you can boil water for cooking and make a cuppa at the same time, or because it's inadvisable to put your teapot in one.

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
I like hearing all the extra "r" sounds British folk add to the end of their words.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I am an American living in London, and one time I accidentally stepped on an old man's foot on the tube because I was looking at my phone while I was getting off and he said "sorry" to me. I felt bad.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
I've noticed most of my British co-workers like to use "whilst" a lot in their emails. One time it was used 4 times in a single paragraph.

Smallios74

Oct 29, 2017
The Lunch/ Dinner / Tea confusion, example having lunch at dinner time and dinner at teat time. etc

Camoxide

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
UK
Wut. So you can boil enough water to make tea for all the people who have just turned up at once, or so you can boil water for cooking and make a cuppa at the same time, or because it's inadvisable to put your teapot in one.
Electric kettles are up to 3000w whereas microwaves are usually only 800w.

I've also met quite a few people who don't have a microwave!

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
Ah, the area reserved exclusively for the final-years on the school run.

Haha yes,

Speaking of school kids, isn't the complete disregard for school property another British thing? When i was in school anything not nailed down was either destroyed, stolen or thrown across the classroom. But then again my school was fairly awful.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I do like a doorstep of crusty bread and a bowl of tomato soup
Yes. Has to be thick like that, none of this thin sliced crap!

Haha yes,

Speaking of school kids, isn't the complete disregard for school property another British thing? When i was in school anything not nailed down was either destroyed, stolen or thrown across the classroom. But then again my school was fairly awful.
Likely lol. Me and a friend when in the younger years had fun with the acrylic paint bottles in art class. Satisfying fart sounds when squeezed. We used to refer to it as "Bessy the paint cow" and, no joke, flushed tens and tens of paint bottles down the sink over the course of the year when the teacher wasn't looking. Would occasionally get blocked (who would have thought?) and the teacher would then unclog it and whew.. that was some vile stuff. Murky brown-turquoise sludge.

Whenever a window was open in History – on the fourth floor of the building – people used to take it in turns to lug stationary out the window when the teacher was looking at the board. Came to a stop when someone tried a stapler and cracked the window mind.

Last edited:

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a Welsh dude, it's ta ra, or if your shouting at someone as they're leaving it's traaaa. I also think it's also a northern English thing because Cilla Black used to say it a lot, and I've heard it used a lot in different regions.

yeah, West Midlands thing too. "ta-ra-a bit" is the variation here.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Eating what we call a pattie (Battered mashed potato, sage and onion) along with chips in a sandwich/breadcake. I have an American friend who couldn't get his head around why we don't just eat the chips (aka fries) on their own.

It's cold and we're Northern was my response (And it's damn good).

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
People calling other people duck as a a term of endearment. It's extremely common where I'm from in the Midlands but dunno if its just us. I dont use it, for some reason its never crept into my language, but I do find it endearing when I hear it.

Also, I love all the reasons we make people a brew for.
As a polite gesture
If someone is upset/stressed out
If someone is working
If you're having a good chat
If its your turn

Can't go wrong with a cuppa.