• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Favourite 3D Mario game?

• Super Mario 64

Votes: 133 19.6%
  • Super Mario Sunshine

Votes: 42 6.2%
  • Super Mario Galaxy

Votes: 142 20.9%
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2

Votes: 125 18.4%
  • Super Mario 3D Land

Votes: 19 2.8%
  • Super Mario 3D World

Votes: 72 10.6%
  • Super Mario Odyssey

Votes: 147 21.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Mario 64 > Odyssey > Sunshine > The rest.

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
For me, it's Super Mario Galaxy with Galaxy 2 and Sunshine coming in close joint 2nd. Galaxy took me by surprise as playing a Mario title with motion controls i'd have thought wouldn't play well, but it did.

CNoodles

Banned
Mar 7, 2019
Easily Mario 64 because it was my most played game as a kid. Growing up in that time where everything was 2d and then seeing Mario 64 for the first time was fucking mind blowing. I skipped the GameCube and wii so maybe just maybe sunshine or Galaxy can top it.

I hope that Galaxy 2 will come out next year because I would love to play that too.

EndingE

Nov 8, 2017
It's definitely still Odyssey for me, well past any honeymoon phase. They outdid themselves.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
1. Galaxy 2
2. Galaxy
3. Odyssey
4. 64
5. 3D World
6. 3D Land
7. Sunshine

It's pretty cool to see the Top 4 so evenly split in the poll.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Odyssey is the only one I havent played and hopefully will mitigate that issue this holiday ;p

Its hard to choose for me....its either Galaxy 2 or 64.

Not to say the rest were bad, all were great , even Sunshine I really enjoyed.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
64 > 3D World > Odyssey.

Found 3D Land too simplified, the camera annoyed me greatly in Sunshine & Galaxy 1. I still haven't played Galaxy 2 yet.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
64. Forever. Call it nostalgia or whatever, but the moment I played that game for the first time was just magical, nothing will ever match it for me.

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
I still haven't finished Odyssey and I'm not sure why.

Maybe I'll go finish it before I play the new collection.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
3D World is the one that is closest to the classic 2D formula, so that wins by default for me. The multiplayer is also fantastic.

GaymerPerson

Aug 16, 2020
3D Land vs 3D World
Ok OST vs AMAZEBALLS OST
You can see the pixels vs Amazing Graphics
2 different shades per color vs Best lighting in a Mario game
Same boss x3 vs new bosses
2 playable characters vs 5 playable characters

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
One thing: I feel 64 DS should be on the poll if only because it's practically a different game. More stars and the levels are remixed to accommodate the new characters, plus there are extra levels. And the DS means a whole new style of controls (you can use the touch screen).

The only two I have not played have been 3D Land (never owned a 3DS) and Galaxy 2 (never knew why I never picked it up but finding a physical copy at a reasonable price now is a task, let me tell you). That said I've loved every 3D Mario.

Super Mario 64 is one of my favorite games of all time, so that takes it. Still feels good. Camera is wonky, but not nearly as bad as you'd think. Really the worst part of the game is the hit detection, but honestly what are you expecting from a launch Nintendo 64 game?

The next most played one on my list would be Odyssey, which while not as impactful per Star as 64, which had them more constructed as almost levels (certain Stars could affect the course), the game encouraged sequence breaking when possible. Exploration. This leads to all sorts of cool bullshit you can do with the different types of jumps and terrain. Odyssey's emphasis is on exploration. Rather than bothering with the level selection at all, it just emphasizes exploring the level and experimenting with everything and every nook and cranny. The environments change as events are triggered within the world (the boss battles and the end game). While there are a lot of nonsense and obscure moons (finding them by just climbing a hill and ground pounding a spot or by using binoculars to spot a taxi in the sky) most of the moons are genuinely well constructed, and I think the scale, creativity, and variety of the worlds that you can explore with all the skills and mobility at your disposalvastly outweighs how inconsistent the Moons are. Though to be fair, in two back-to-back playthroughs I never finished because fuck jump rope and volleyball. Also the victory road in that is ludicrous.

Honestly the only one I had a rough time with is Sunshine, and I never quite got a handle on the FLUDD to the degree of skill like the stars + spin in Galaxy or Cappy in Odyssey. All-Stars is gonna let me try it again though so I'm very much looking forward to it. I think the most disappointing thing about Sunshine was the rigid structure of Galaxy or 3D World, but in the sandbox of Odyssey/64. Without much sequence breaking, the creativity felt lacking. Plus the camera was raw felt really bad in particular with Sunshine.

Galaxy and 3D World were just pure joy. Classic Mario level select with 3D trappings. In Galaxy it's much bigger and more "traditional" 3D, but still they're both 3D.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Unpopular opinion: 3D Land. I love all of the 3D Mario games, but 3D Land is the most fun one to replay over and over to get the fastest times in each level.

GaymerPerson

Aug 16, 2020
I've got a few more land vs world:
No new mechanics vs Plessie, Captain Toad, etc
Main powerup is a returning powerup vs main powerup is brand new
Not getting a switch release vs getting a switch release
2011 vs 2013

I could go on all day.

Nov 1, 2017
After revisiting most of these recently, I picked Galaxy 2. It has much of Galaxy's creativity but takes the training wheels off WAY sooner. Also fewer of the "collect 100 coins" missions that I dislike. Galaxy did have better/more consistent theming and setpieces, though.

GaymerPerson

Aug 16, 2020
Bowser chases you vs Bowser's in a car
Bowser chases you again vs Bowser's a cat and has multiplied himself and is chasing you upward

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
Interesting that Odyssey is (barely) winning, the last poll had it far behind 64/Galaxies.

It's 3D World for me but 64 is close behind it. 3D World is the 3D realization of 2D Mario I fantasized about as a kid. The Switch port is only going to solidify its ranking for me, I'm very excited about it.

Except for 3D Land (which is good) and Sunshine (which is mediocre) though they're all fantastic games in their own right and all have a claim to the throne.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
3D World being so low and Odyssey winning the poll is very contrary to the sentiments I commonly see expressed on this site.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
3D World being so low and Odyssey winning the poll is very contrary to the sentiments I commonly see expressed on this site.

www.resetera.com

POLL: What 3D Mario game is the best in the series?

Over so many decades I've seen countless arguments among Mario fans as to what they value most in a 3D Mario game and which game(s) reflect those qualities most strongly. Some people prefer sandboxes while others like a more direct, linear design. Some want hub worlds between missions while...

Thought it was interesting to compare, outside of Odyssey winning this time around the results are fairly similar.

I think with 3D World the few people who played it really loved it, whereas Odyssey sold nearly 20 million so I think you are more likely to hear a range of people who don't like it.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
This is such a difficult question since I love them all. It comes down to 64 vs 3D World vs Odyssey. Today, I'm going with Odyssey.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Probably 3D world- its classic Mario mechanics literallyput into the 3d space. Makes every move count, and keeping the powerups going essential. I was never a fan of lifebar Mario- just makes things too easy.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
1. Galaxy
2. 3D World
3. Odyssey
4. Galaxy 2
5. 64
6. 3D Land
7. Sunshine (I haven't finished this one yet)

Nothing wrong with Land or Sunshine. I'm just struggling to think of anything specifically I like about 3D Land right now, and Sunshine I don't have a lot of experience with. 64 is fine, but I think it was easily surpassed by the later games. And Galaxy 2 was great at the time but I don't have any lasting memories of it.

Jan 13, 2020
I really wish I could see what everyone else sees in Odyssey. Easily my least-favourite 3D Mario. I found the Kingdoms so boring.

Oct 27, 2017
i kind of love the insane amount of moons in odyssey.

it's not my favorite 3d mario -- it's probably like, fifth favorite, or fourth if i'm feeling charitable -- but the way it doles out moons in comparison to stars in previous entries makes the game feel almost entirely different from the others, and i appreciate that difference. it's unique.

had a lot of fun last night going through dozens of moons.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care if it's cheating or what the anniversary collection says, Galaxy 1 and 2 are two halves of the best 3D Mario game.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Galaxy was a mindblowing game when I played it all those years ago. It stuck with me more than any other gaming experience I have had.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
went with my heart on 64, but odyssey was so good

interesting seeing galaxy 1 > 2 in the polls so far, guess that erasure really did happen haha