• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Favourite 3D Mario game?

• Super Mario 64

Votes: 133 19.6%
  • Super Mario Sunshine

Votes: 42 6.2%
  • Super Mario Galaxy

Votes: 142 20.9%
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2

Votes: 125 18.4%
  • Super Mario 3D Land

Votes: 19 2.8%
  • Super Mario 3D World

Votes: 72 10.6%
  • Super Mario Odyssey

Votes: 147 21.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Ranking-the-Super-Mario-games.jpg

Super Mario Galaxy for me, although nothing has ever blown me away as much as Super Mario 64 did the first time I saw and played it.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
The only one I don't like is 3D World.

Favourite is probably... 64 I guess. Too many magical moments (staring at the sun, the whole painting theme, etc).

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Super Mario 64 for me. It's the Mario game I grew up on! Love it to pieces.

I remember being so excited when I finally discovered how to beat King Bomb-omb that I rushed down stairs to tell everyone, being super proud of myself.

Have a lot of nostalgia for Sunshine too. The Christmas my brother and I got a Gamecube with Smash Bros Melee and Sunshine was magical and one of my favorite Christmases ever.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Odyssey. Has the best controls and sense of discovery.

Love the Galaxy games also.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
I go back and forth between Galaxy 1 & 3D World. But I have not played Odyssey yet.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Mario 64

It's not nostalgia either, watching and following the speedrun community for this game is a treat

ShineALight

Oct 27, 2017
64 represents a shift in the way that games were both played and designed like almost nothing since. It deserves credit for that.

In terms of pure enjoyment, I vastly prefer the more "obstacle course" style games, which found their pinnacle in Galaxy 2 and 3D World. Galaxy 2 by a hair if I had to say, but I'd have to revisit both.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I like them all, but every game since Galaxy (yes, including 2) has never quite recaptured that magic for me yet. 3D World did something entirely different and that was great.

Odyssey I really don't think is anything special, I thought it was just too much.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Galaxy 2. I felt the quality it had made the first game look worse, and that's amazing considering how good Galaxy 1 is. That's what good sequels do.

joffocakes

Nov 15, 2017
I love all of them but 64 is still my favourite; Mario is most fun to control in that, I could have a good time just running around on a flat plane. Odyssey came close in that regard but overall 64 still takes it for me.

I'm a huge fan of 3D Land as well. The latter half of that game, particularly the tightly timed challenges and Cosmic Mario chases are some of my favourite pure platforming of the 3D games.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Best to least good:

Super Mario 64
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario 3D World
Super Mario Odyssey
Super Mario 3D Land
Super Mario Sunshine

Sunshine is the only one I wouldn't choose to replay....unless there was a way to only play the hidden levels in a row. Those rocked and are some of the best things ever associated with mario

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Galaxy 2 is one of the GOATs. Galaxy is just a slight step below it.

Though I must say, the movement in Super Mario Odyssey has some of the best movement of any game ever.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
You can't make me choose!

It's between Galaxy and Odyssey. I think you could probably argue Galaxy 2 might be the absolute best - but it feels less essential than the original Galaxy to me. It trades the bombast, darker colours and more alien feel for tighter levels. Purists may favour that, but those traits are what helped make Galaxy feel so special in the wider Mario series.

Odyssey has the best controlling Mario ever in my opinion. I love how the cap mechanic is woven into the game at almost every level and in general the game felt like a wonderful mash up of the more open and linear games in the series. It feels like a real celebration of the character too.

I'm not going to vote, it's too hard.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Odyssey is the only one that's really clicked for me, I liked the relative simplicity of the gimmick, the loose openness of the maps and it just felt like a joy to actually play. I have yet to play SMG or SMG2, so I'm looking forward to checking those out. I love the theme, but I have a huge distaste for motion controls, so I guess we'll see how they go.

Oct 27, 2017
Galaxy 2 is an absolute masterpiece and it's not just my fav 3D Mario, it is my favorite 3D platformer of all time. However, I voted for the shining underrated gem that is Super Mario 3D World because it ain't gonna get that many votes and the reasons I love it (tight, dense, streamlined, action-packed, and highly-varied linear 3D platforming goodness all wrapped up in a beautiful art direction with fantastic music) are the same reasons I love Galaxy 2 so much.

Last edited:

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Voted for 64. I think it along with Galaxy 1 & 2 are absolute masterpieces, I really need to find a copy of Galaxy 2 to play again as I never actually finished it before my Wii gave up, but I'd say I prefer Mario 64 overall just because of the speedrunning scene it has. If Cheese is streaming runs, I'm there.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
Galaxy 1/2 and Odyssey all look polished, shiny and all-around spectacular

but I enjoyed sunshine more, warts and all. So I voted sunshine.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
3D World every day. Love the bite-sized levels and the art style (and Cat Mario).

Galaxies close behind. The motion-control gimmick drags down, though.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
Galaxy 2 is the probably the best, but I voted because I've been playing Land recently and it's really been impressing me.
I feel like the stereoscopic 3D is at it's best with 3D platformers, making 3D land the game where the player is most precisely move in 3D space. Just that alone makes the game really fun.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
I swear we had this conversation a while ago...

In any case, Galaxy 1>Galaxy 2>3D World>64>3D Land=Sunshine>>>>>Odyssey

Oct 25, 2017
Galaxy 2 and 3D World are the best in terms of pure platforming, obstacle run joy. 64 has really cool mechanics but very little actual platforming and Odyssey is a bloated game with far too many moons that aren't anything special. Galaxy is magical, but not as good as the sequel.

H2intensity

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
its between Galaxy and 3D world...but more 3D World for me because multiplayer are
fun and it also has the best final level (Champions Road)

Abi

Jun 3, 2020
3D World for me. It's filled with so many clever ideas and the level design top notch.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Oddysey is objectively better in every way, but wouldn't exist without 64.
Also, I'll definitely replay 64 many more times, not so with any other.

So it's 64 easily for me, by a long way, too.

Also, I wouldn't count 3D land/world as proper 3D Mario games, but I see how many would.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Of the ones I've played:

Galaxy: I liked the creativity of the stages and the music, but I always found myself butting heads with the camera angles and I hated the lives system. I get stressed out seeing my number of lives tick down on every death, and you couldn't even amass a nice warchest of them because the number would reset every time you loaded up the game.

3D World: I just didn't like this game at all, to be honest.

Odyssey: Loved it. 10/10. No complaints. A delight from start to finish.

Never played 64 or Sunshine, so I'm looking forward to playing them in the collection. Never played Galaxy 2 either, so I'm looking forward to playing that... someday :P

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
The only wrong answer here is Odyssey, and I did like that game, but.. no. That's the wrong answer.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Odyssey tears Sunshine and 64 limb from limb - the latter may be more important, but it's not in the same class... particularly in 2020.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
64, Galaxy, 3D Land and Odyssey are the best of their respective game formulas IMO.
Of course 3D World and Galaxy 2 are also fantastic games, only Sunshine was strangely under cooked.

Unlikely, maybe Galaxy on account of it being so different, but the other two is exactly what Odyssey built on and made a lot better.
I'd say Odyssey is more a descendant of Banjo & Kazooie than 64/Sunshine.

Oct 28, 2017
It's a tough call between Galaxy, Galaxy 2 and 3D World. They're all the games that excel with tight level design and platforming. 3D World probably being the best, but at the same time has the least spectacle.

As for the exploration games, Odyssey plays the best, but it also suffers from too much repetitive padding which sours the experience. With 64 you have to deal with an absolutely garbage camera which gets in your way way too often, but 64 does do a really good job making you feel like you accomplished something when you get a star. 64 doesn't feel padded the way Odyssey does and the sense of discovery was better for it. But like I say that fucking camera....

Mar 30, 2019
I still play Super Mario 64 the most of them all. I love what the rest brought to the table, but that one is just too good to me.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Galaxy 1 > Galaxy 2 > 3D World > Odyssey > 3D Land >>> 64 > Sunshine

Creativity wins over nostalgia for me, which puts the Galaxies on top. Odyssey would be higher if the level design were stronger and leaned more on well-designed challenges and less on collectibles. 64 has a similar problem: fun level ideas that mostly revolve around "star catching," making replays a bit less fun once you know how to clear all the objectives. Sunshine has stronger mission design overall but leans too much on Red/Blue coins.

Maverick14

Banned
Feb 16, 2019
Odyssey. It perfected the Super Mario 64 formula.
It so didn't. Each Star in Mario 64 is an accomplishment - an event. Many moons in Odyssey are like collectable coins and pass by with little sense of achievement.

Sorry. Odyssey is really good but disjointed and seems to suffer from ADHD. It is on a level below 64 and the Galaxies.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Galaxy was the one I got the most invested in.
It was a very nice experience.

Not a fan of 64. Had to force myself to finish Galaxy 2, it was only ok. 3D world is fun.
Sunshine is weird, I like it though.

Last edited:

Soulsis

Oct 25, 2017
My ranking:

1. Odyssey (takes the formula and perfects it, best variation of levels and best controls by a mile)

2. Galaxy 2

3. Galaxy

4. 64

5. Sunshine

6. 3D World

7. 3D Land

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I think they're all amazing games but I truly believe Mario 64 is still one of the best games ever made.

A big part of me going back to it so much is the classic 'pick up and play' nature of the game. There's no extended intro sequences and forced dialogue stuff that you have to sit and mash 'a' to get through. I can pick it up whenever, start from the beginning and finish it in a fairly short amount of time. It's fun, ticking off stars as you go. Still feels amazing to play. Love it.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I have a lot of nostalgia for Mario 64 as I was in high school when I played it, but if I had to pick a favourite, it has to be Galaxy 2. I haven't played 3D World or Odyssey yet because I felt a bit burned out on Mario after NSMB 2. I barely played NSMB U as a result, hope to go back to it. I'm about halfway through the Nintendo-developed levels in Mario Maker 1 and haven't started 2 yet.

Oct 28, 2017
It so didn't. Each Star in Mario 64 is an accomplishment - an event. Many moons in Odyssey are like collectable coins and pass by with little sense of achievement.

Sorry. Odyssey is really good but disjointed and seems to suffer from ADHD. It is on a level below 64 and the Galaxies.
Exactly. You trip over moons in Odyssey. There's no weight to them and so many of them are repetitive copy and paste. There's just way too many moons and it's completely unnecessary. 64 has a lot more problems than Odyssey with the way the game plays, but its design philosophy is better. It's exploration focused but does a great job making you feel rewarded by your star collection. You feel numb to moons in Odyssey very quickly.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
64, Galaxy, 3D Land and Odyssey are the best of their respective game formulas IMO.
Of course 3D World and Galaxy 2 are also fantastic games, only Sunshine was strangely under cooked.

I'd say Odyssey is more a descendant of Banjo & Kazooie than 64/Sunshine.

Okay, I disagree for a lot of reasons, but just comparing to older Mario games, Odyssey was marketed as a progression from 64/Sunshine rather than Galaxy1/2.
That's what I was talking about.

www.nintendo.com

Super Mario Odyssey™ for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Official Site

Buy Super Mario Odyssey™ and shop other great Nintendo products online at the official My Nintendo Store.

This sandbox-style 3D Mario adventure—the first since 1996's beloved Super Mario 64™ and 2002's Nintendo GameCube™ classic Super Mario Sunshine™—is packed with secrets and surprises, plus exciting new kingdoms to explore.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
It's between Galaxy and 64. I'd put Odyssey at the bottom with Sunshine. But I have to say, I am not a big fan of Mario since the series made the jump to 3D.