• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Be kind, rewind.

• Timecrimes

Votes: 33 5.4%
  • The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

Votes: 57 9.4%
  • Avengers: Endgame

Votes: 140 23.1%
  • Looper

Votes: 117 19.3%
  • Primer

Votes: 98 16.1%
  • Other

Votes: 95 15.7%
  • Donnie Darko

Votes: 67 11.0%

• Total voters

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I genuinely really liked Avengers Endgame's handling of time travel, and I was expecting to be really underwhelmed by it.

My biggest issue with time travel stories is when it's used to "undo" or "erase" a timeline, no matter how many people die or how bad things get, the good guys just have to flip the switch, kill the right guy, change things, to make it so none of the bad stuff ever happened.

Endgame wasn't about undoing "the Snap" using time travel, it was about using time travel to get the Infinity gems in order to use the Gauntlet to bring the people back killed by "the snap". That may seem like semantics, but for me it made all the difference in making the story still have weight and giving actions consequences rather than the time travel being used to erase everything that happened.

Tony Stark still had his character development and his daughter still exists, Vision's death still happened and had emotional weight (unless WandaVision undoes it, haha), Black Widow's sacrifice still happens and effected the characters, the grief the world (or the whole universe) felt about losing their loved ones still happened, which makes their return all the more meaningful.

If they'd just used time travel to undo it, nobody would have realized it even happened which always feel cheap when movies or shows do it.

Last edited:

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017
Are we counting day loops as time travel? Because Palm Springs would be on my list, followed by End Game, and Happy Death Day.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Film: Looper
TV: Dark (S1, S2, S3)

I saw Looper in college in a completely empty theater and it was amazing. Dark is a German Netflix series and it has one of the intricately designed time travel plots I've ever seen in any medium. It's incredible and more people need to watch it.

Also shoutout to Predestination which is also a great time travel movie.

Sargerus

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Only movies? Because if other media is allowed the answer is DARK. It's absolutely one of the most amazing time travel stories ever told in any medium.

Oct 25, 2017
That was about premonition, rather than time travel.

This is also debatable. There wasn't any science-breaking time travel (as discussed in the movie, where Coop desperately wants to go back through time), so much as observable relativity.

So no films about quasi-realistic explorations of the dimension of time?

Just magical "travel through time" films?

Well fine.

I'll have to think on this further then lol.

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
I would have voted for Predestination, voted for Looper but should have voted for Timecrimes. But now reading this thread, it would actually be a tough choice between Predestination and About Time which I forgot at first.

As much as I dislike time travel in movies where they don't belong (MCU was pretty much ruined by time travel), I do enjoy time travel movies which is very different from just having time travel in a movie.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
About Time by far.

If we can also count self-contained episodes of television I would also put forth White Tulip from Fringe.

Edge of Tomorrow I'd give a distant third.

If we are only considering things from your list, then I'll pick Looper.

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find it strange that there aren't many more BTTF-like time travel movies nowadays, that is to say-- "fish out of water" stories where the differences between the eras are highlighted. I would have thought this would be especially popular in an era which is very different to those that preceded it and is also obsessed with nostalgia.

It could be that observations such as "remember how the world used to be so different without phones/internet?" are just so trite no one bothers putting them up on screen.

burn

Oct 27, 2017
Timecrimes is great but my vote goes to Coherence

2f5d5a8530.jpg.webp

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Timecrimes has the least votes in this poll.

I need to go back in time and show this movie to everybody, then we can try again.

trunx81

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
I actually liked the movie Triangle. Although it appears to be a standard Time Loop/Horror movie, the twists at the end had me discuss this with my gf for days

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
They're not...

...from the future. They're from the now, they just see the lines of causality that allow them to know that they need to prepare humans so that they can help them in the future.
They are not from the future, they experience time non-linearly so there is no such thing as the future to them. That's why the concept of the language rewiring brains was explained by the other poster, because you're getting it completely wrong here, so it's a reasonable assumption that you didn't understand/don't remember that part of the story. There is no time travel in Arrival.

I'll watch it again, but I still think the aliens are from the future. Pretty sure that their perception of time is limited by their own lifespans. They specifically say that they need humanity's help in 3000 years -- you guys may be correct, if the squid men live for thousands of years

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
Appreciate the attempt OP but as many posters have pointed out there's some massive titles missing in the list. Can't even see why you'd put the Avengers movie up there seeing some of the other stuff that came out the last 20 years but hey YMMV. More importantly, you got us all talking about time travelling movies and that's a win anyway.

I think one of my favourite ways of going about it is Donny Darko, but Butterfly Effect, 12 Monkeys, Girl who Leapt through Time are some serious masterpieces.

I'd also like to direct all ya attention to this underrated masterpiece:

Mr-Nobody-FI.jpg

This movie is the absolute tits and though it deals more with choices and alternative universes depending on choices made, there's a nifty time travel element (won't spoil) that wraps up some stuff incredibly neatly. Also, Jared Leto is amazing in this.

a4b2736df1516d7ff99c65d072d7e50d.jpg

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Voted endgame
Only saw looper otherwise
Azkaban's time travel is a subplot at best, I wouldn't consider it a time travel movie

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
It's got to be Primer. One of my favourite movies about time travel, scrappy engineers and science being weird and done with a handful of tenners.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Primer and Edge of Nowhere / Live Die Repeat for me.

(How is it not on the list, great film)

Also liked Palm Springs and Happy Death Day.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
you got into the middle of a confused conversation. I'm aware of that linguistic/perception of time thing in the movie. someone was asking if there is any actual time travel in the movie..the answer is yes, the aliens are from the future
No they are not.

they can see the future, they are not from the future [\spoiler]

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
As a massive MCU shill, Endgame is probably my favorite for being such an incredible cap on the Infinity Saga, but Looper is a better movie.

Voting Endgame because that's what the thread is asking, but it wasn't the best time travel movie.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Arrival and Russian Doll do clever things with the perception of time, despite not being strictly time "travel" media.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
they can see their own future, not the future. the way it comes off to me is that the squid people exist/are conscious in every moment of their own lives.
they never say you can only see your own future, youre inferring that because they only show her looking into her own future. They literally tell her she can see the future not you can see your own future. Also when she ask how they see the future they don't say we time traveled, they say the weapon opens the future.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Primer - Endlessly watchable. Get the flowcharts out.
Hot Tub Time Machine - Funny, clever, heartful and a fun trip.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
I find it strange that there aren't many more BTTF-like time travel movies nowadays, that is to say-- "fish out of water" stories where the differences between the eras are highlighted. I would have thought this would be especially popular in an era which is very different to those that preceded it and is also obsessed with nostalgia.

It could be that observations such as "remember how the world used to be so different without phones/internet?" are just so trite no one bothers putting them up on screen.

Period pieces are some of the most expensive productions in Hollywood. To do multiple historical periods accurately would be quite a budget. I think it's also kind of why time travel films tend to be Groundhog Day type time-loop scenarios - much kinder on the wallet.

Croash

Oct 27, 2017
About Time is my favorite by far because it's such a cute movie.

Dark is a show so that's completely different, but it managed to show why time travel as a concept leads to all kinds of fucked up situations. I guess Predestination is the light version of this story.

I don't think Time Lapse counts because characters don't actually travel, but the end result is kinda similar. Was impressed by that movie's simple story.

antipod

Oct 30, 2017
Gonna vote for Predestination as a movie. It's fantastic.

I still haven't seen Dark although it is in my to-watch-backlog, and if people are saying Edge of Tomorrow is a time travel movie, I'm gonna give Russian Doll a mention as a tv series.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This thread has made me realize that a large number of my favorite movies involve time travel or time loops.