• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Be kind, rewind.

• Timecrimes

Votes: 33 5.4%
  • The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

Votes: 57 9.4%
  • Avengers: Endgame

Votes: 140 23.1%
  • Looper

Votes: 117 19.3%
  • Primer

Votes: 98 16.1%
  • Other

Votes: 95 15.7%
  • Donnie Darko

Votes: 67 11.0%

• Total voters

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
I liked Endgame, but it was basically Back to the Future in the MCU

So, Looper. Haven't seen the others.

pants

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Voted other for Happy Death Day, which utilizes the Groundhog Day time loop with a slasher flick twist. Its wonderful, and doesn't get bogged down by the intricacies of time travel (which is how all time travel should be handled, IMO.)

My runners up are "Midnight in Paris" and "Edge of Tomorrow" (aka "Live Die Repeat.")

Edit: forgot about Arrival! Such a good one too

Last edited:

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
I liked Primer a lot, but I never quite got it through multiple watches, and I'm wary of engaging with the creators works now.

Girl Who Leapt Through Time was magnificent though, I freaking loved it.

Wish I liked Looper more, but it was still solid.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Looper, baby!

I know Endgame is technically a time travel film but, I dunno, it doesn't really feel like one.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Of the ones in the poll, I've seen Looper, Primer, and Avengers: Endgame, and of those, Primer is my favorite

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I know this is about movies but Dark is the best use of time travel I've seen in any form of media. Doesn't mean it's the best time travel related film or movie (it's up there) but it's definitely the most clever use of it.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
It must be some kind of...
Hot Tub Time Machine
hot-tub-time-machine.jpg

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
I love Looper, but it kind of abandons the time travel stuff in the last act. The Bruce Willis meeting himself conversation in the diner is one for the ages though, such a good way of writing off the "well, actually" paradoxes by essentially saying, "we could pick at this all day, but honestly, who gives a shit?"

Primer was great. I was honestly gobsmacked when I watched it, but there wasn't all too much of an enjoyable arc to it.

Timecrimes for me is the winner here. All great time travel fuckery. The loop being so short makes it one of the few examples of a complete time story with very little room for those problematic paradoxes.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
I actually really enjoyed Hot Tub Time Machine, but that's probably because my expectations were so low for it.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
I mean, Endgame is my favorite movie out of that list, but the Time Travel aspect was my least favourite part of the movie so... 🤷