• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Favorite SNES rpg?

• Chrono Trigger.

Votes: 317 48.4%
  • Super Mario RPG.

Votes: 83 12.7%
  • FFVI.

Votes: 129 19.7%
  • Secret of Mana.

Votes: 29 4.4%
  • Earthbound.

Votes: 77 11.8%
  • Star Ocean.

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • DQV.

Votes: 16 2.4%

• Total voters

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chrono Trigger. Its graphics are still charming, the adventure itself is well paced from start to finish, and the tech system that emphasizes each character's identity and how that synergizes with the rest of your squad at any given moment (along with AOE being an actual element to deal with in the ATB system) holds up way better today than its peers.

Oct 25, 2017
Chrono Trigger.

Why? Because it is the best game of all time. Perfect story, perfect battle system, perfect cast, perfect visual design, perfect soundtrack. Perfect everything.

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Although Chrono Trigger may have better pacing and gameplay, FFVI has the better story and experience overall. IMO, hands down, the best story ever written for a J-RPG and maybe in gaming overall.

Kefka is the ultimate villain for me. Sephiroth is a crying baby next to him.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Mario RPG, just about.. Chrono Trigger is great but doesn't have proper towns, e.g. you just click an inn on the world map. Final Fantasy VI's world is bland except from a few places like Vector and it has random battles. Secret of Mana is good but too repetitive without mutliplayer.

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy IV is incredibly underrated as well. Great pacing, characters, world lore and story. Might feel a bit archaic graphics and gameplay-wise next to later stuff like CT and FFVI but still an amazing FF experience.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
FFVI ( I mean, look at my avatar )

Some of that is colored by the fact I played the everloving shit out of it as a kid and have lots of fond memories of listening to They Might Be Giants in my brother's room, running around the Phoenix cave or replaying it for the tenth time. Whereas while Chrono Cross is an amazing game, I didn't play it til I was an adult so it didn't have the same impact.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Though i prefer the brisk pace, music and graphics of Chrono Trigger-- Earthbound resonates more with me the older I get.

My favorite person in the world, my dearly departed Grandmother, got me the game for my birthday. Probably has something to do with it.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Tales of Phantasia because I don't really like JRPGs and it has a really fun and great battle system. The PlayStation version is a lot better, but still, the SNES version is great as well.

However, as far as more traditional JRPGs, I spent the most time with Chrono Trigger on the system.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Not in my opinion, people say it's the greatest RPG ever, but if modern RPGs just did villages when you just walk on a map and can't explore them, it'll be ripped apart.

If they did it as well as Chrono Trigger, nah. There are still houses and areas to go into and lots of characters. Huge parts of the game happen in what are basically towns and cities, but they are also the places where stuff happens. Nobody cares about Guardia not being completely explorable when you have the castle and Millennial Fair.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
If they did it as well as Chrono Trigger, nah. There are still houses and areas to go into and lots of characters. Huge parts of the game happen in what are basically towns and cities, but they are also the places where stuff happens. Nobody cares about Guardia not being completely explorable when you have the castle and Millennial Fair.
The fair is the only good town area. The rest are basically just castles or that palace in the sky. The exploration isn't that good.

GabriocheXD

May 27, 2019
FFV is my answer and the job fiesta is the reason why. The fact you can finish the game with basically any party composition is incredible. Various status spells are actually useful in this game, and it's always a real joy to play around with team compositions. Also, it has three worlds packed with secrets, the music is awesome and it's super charming.

TateRaken

Sep 11, 2018
Rio Rancho NM
I chose Chrono Trigger, but it only just edged out FFVI, FFIV, and Earthbound for me. There are so many RPGs on SNES that I freaking loved. I'm a bit sad not to see Secret of Evermore or Lufia 1 or 2, or Breath of fire 1 or 2.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
I love these games and Chrono Trigger is definitely an amazing experience every time I revisit it but my vote has to go to Earthbound.

No game resonates with that part of me that is both child and adult like Earthbound does.

It is a work of quirky art and I will always love it.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Chrono Trigger. The trial sequence early on just cements it. Like I remember getting to that part (years after the fact), and getting to that thinking "oh I'm playing something real fucking special here..."

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
I've found so many random Japanese Super Famicom RPGs with a translation this year, I wish I had the energy to write them all up, but there's some real gems that I would have never known about to this day otherwise. I was shocked at the quality of games I never heard about.

Theanine

Oct 3, 2020
Chrono Trigger, with Super Mario RPG as a close second.

Chrono Trigger just nails it in literally every department.

Super Mario RPG is amazing as well, but the story (while good in its own right) is not quite as compelling as Chrono Trigger's, just due to the lighter tone and setting. It was still a Mario game, after all.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Mario RPG is my first RPG I ever played and the game that introduced me to a genre. It completely holds up too and is truly unique. I still love the graphics, the game play, the story, the writing and of course the music. It's a 10/10 in my play book. A truly exceptional experience and an epic journey. I don't know if we'll ever get anything quite like it ever again.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Chrono Trigger. In my opinion it's the only game on that list that is timeless and is still as flawless today as it was when it came out.

THIJJ

Oct 26, 2017
Chrono Trigger is one of the best games of all time. I didn't even play it till the PSN release on PSP years and years after its release and it felt like it could've been released then. Everything about it was perfection from the player agency in the story, music, characters etc.

that definitely gets my vote.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Dragon Quest V was made much better with the remakes, so it's a weird choice as the poll's sole import option. Even in the same series, DQ6 SNES is a much better game.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Visually, DQ5 is very plain, looking like an enhanced NES game rather than a proper SNES game. From a gameplay perspective, it's not the best since it's the only main series Dragon Quest other than DQ2 that limits you to only 3 characters in your party at a time - an especially baffling decision given the number of party members you can recruit thanks to monster recruiting. From a story perspective, there's no party chat like in the remakes, among other changes.

DQ5 is a good game, but you really want to be playing the PS2 or DS version. On the SNES, I'd say both the DQ3 remake & DQ6 are better experiences.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Earthbound for it's creativity and heart. I literally just said in another thread that I don't care for story and characters in Jrpg's. This is the exception (Mother 3 as well). It's to this day an incredibly unique game that hasn't met its equal. As good as something like Undertale is, it pales compared to Earthbound as a complete package.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Has anyone played Inindo? I used to play that a lot but I'm not sure I ever beat it. Really unique ninja JRPG.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Mario RPG, in that order, though I've played all of the poll options besides Star Ocean and enjoy them all. If Earthbound was slightly less annoying to actually play it'd probably be my number 1, but Chrono Trigger is too good on the gameplay front.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
FF IV was the one with the most time spent, fondest memories. CT I didnt play until I was older but its probably better...

so Shadowrun.

Booster Gold

Sep 30, 2020
This list is too tough. I think I chose Earthbound because it was the first one that I played. Hones I think the SNES might Be the best platform for rpgs. I think that might also be an interesting pole. What console had the best exclusive (launched exclusively should count I think) rpgs, like as a collective.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
I think the only SNES RPG I've ever beaten is Secret of Mana so I guess I would with that by default.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
FF VI is my favorite but Chrono Trigger is my number 2. I think it's impossible to quantify how important those games are to my childhood and my friendship with several people.

Lyonaz

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Terranigma was my favourite SNES RPG, we Europeans got screwed on the rpg side, but Terranigma was the best.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I love these games and Chrono Trigger is definitely an amazing experience every time I revisit it but my vote has to go to Earthbound.

No game resonates with that part of me that is both child and adult like Earthbound does.

It is a work of quirky art and I will always love it.

Yep - agreed. CT is a fantastic game. And FFVI is pretty much perfect. Both are some of the best JRPGs of all time.

But Earthbound just hits different for me. It truly resonates. It's like a game MADE for me. Gotta hand it to EB.

killa2max

May 17, 2018
Seattle, WA
Super Mario RPG was my first traditional JRPG and I absolutely loved it. It's so weird and quirky, but it still totally holds up today. There were so many fantastic RPGs on SNES though.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
While it may not be my favorite game in that list above, I figured what the hell and voted Star Ocean... playing that game back in 1997 or so was mindblowing. The complex skill and item creation system were like nothing seen before (even if nowadays, crafting is something I'm blase on), the amazing music and graphics that stretch the system to its limits, the party interaction where you can build up affection that changes a few scenes in the ending, even the sci-fi storyline of going back in time to stop the original carrier of a plague was super interesting (ironically enough, I was playing First Departure R through when the pandemic first started). It has its flaws that I don't think the remake ever really addresses (and the remake adds some new problems) - namely the backtracking and the fact the endgame feels pretty rushed.

While a lot of what SO innovated has been drastically improved on with other RPGs, it was still so far ahead of its time.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
I've found so many random Japanese Super Famicom RPGs with a translation this year, I wish I had the energy to write them all up, but there's some real gems that I would have never known about to this day otherwise. I was shocked at the quality of games I never heard about.

I'd love to read something like this. There are a lot of interesting looking fan translations out there (I am personally interested in trying out G.O.D.) that don't really get talked about very much.

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
SMRPG. Such a joy to play and the writing and characters are top notch. Best Bowser has been represented in any RPG. Music is also phenomenal. This game is like a warm blanket on a chilly day. I can't help but smile and be filled with positive vibes while in that world.