• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Favorite SNES rpg?

• Chrono Trigger.

Votes: 317 48.4%
  • Super Mario RPG.

Votes: 83 12.7%
  • FFVI.

Votes: 129 19.7%
  • Secret of Mana.

Votes: 29 4.4%
  • Earthbound.

Votes: 77 11.8%
  • Star Ocean.

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • DQV.

Votes: 16 2.4%

• Total voters

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Well I am still going with Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG would be my second pick and FF VI my third one.

This was a golden era for RPGs early on and one that imo, nintendo never managed to replicate again for one reason or another as a lot of these games and others moved to other platforms. What are the chances Nintendo goes back to those glory days for RPG or even surpasses them?

Anyway, only 7 poll options allowed, so forgive me if I missed your pick but please do mention it in the comments. There were too many for the poll so I am missing way too many fan favorites here, just google top SNES RPGs and there are just too many great ones there to list everything here.

Edit: I was tempted to list all the great SNES RPGs I could remember here that didnt make the poll for references sake, but I am sure even then Id be missing some, so yeah, there is a good chance someones favorite wont be on the poll, I am sure someone will say cyberpunk over the course of this thread but if I had 3 more poll options, cyberpunk still wouldnt be one of them for instance.

Last edited:

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
mmm, probably Chrono Trigger. DQV is a better game in many ways, but it has some rough edges to the story that aren't rounded off until the PS2 version. CT was perfect to begin with. Terranigma is up there too.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Chrono Trigger

As for why? It is perfectly paced and plays so wellbfrom beginning to end. Iblove the characters and battle system, and new game+ is fun to go through and wreck shit

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Chrono Trigger. Great art, music, fun battle system (tad easy tho), characters (especially, Marle, Lucca, Magus, Frog, Robo), and the multiple endings and NG+ (it created this) were too fun.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Dragon Quest V is a masterpiece in narrative, but there's something very special and singular about Earthbound, so that.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
Of the list it's secret of mana, just something about me and my brother playing through it in grade school that elevates it (though I'm sure he would say Chrono Trigger)

But my favorite is Lufia 2: Rise of the sinistrals.

it's got the ancient cave, and a baller soundtrack. It's one of thefew truly infinitely replayable games on the SNES. I still have no clue how they did it, but it is a full Rogue-like JRPG in an SNES game. And it's incredible

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University
Super Mario RPG for me. It was my first RPG and I just love the setting and feel of the game. It just such a simple and fun game. Plus it's just a perfect length for me.

But honestly we're all spoiled with how many great games we got on the system.

Oct 25, 2017
Chrono Trigger edges out FFVI as a matter of taste. Both games are amazing, but I prefer something shorter and light hearted than longer and heavy.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Honestly I am not really fond of any RPG on the SNES, atleast I think FFIV came out on the NES first (only played the GBA version).

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Of the list it's secret of mana, just something about me and my brother playing through it in grade school that elevates it (though I'm sure he would say Chrono Trigger)

But my favorite is Lufia 2: Rise of the sinistrals.

it's got the ancient cave, and a baller soundtrack. It's one of thefew truly infinitely replayable games on the SNES. I still have no clue how they did it, but it is a full Rogue-like JRPG in an SNES game. And it's incredible
Us Lufia 2 stans need to stand together and stop getting disrespected by the polls!

Discontent

May 25, 2018
Chrono, easily. FF6 was good but I played it after CT and it was definitely different in a good way but it did feel a bit long.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Earthbound is my favorite game of all time and I still voted for Chrono Trigger. I just can't disrespect the quality.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
FFVI for the music, art, story, world, and general atmosphere. Chrono Trigger is the runner up.

Lufia 2 gets my third pick for providing some of the best RPG gameplay we've ever seen. It has yet to be topped, IMO.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly I am not really fond of any RPG on the SNES, atleast I think FFIV came out on the NES first (only played the GBA version).

Yeah, I tried getting into some of them, both during as well as after the fact, but they never really grabbed me. I suppose Earthbound was the most interesting one. Maybe I'll give Chrono trigger another shot some day.

Force_XXI

Oct 29, 2017
FFVI for sure with Chrono very close, Terranigma after those. I was obsessed with FFVI back in the 90s

edit: forgot the why, so the large cast of characters, open ended WoR, prime Uematsu ost, Sabin suplexing a train, etc

Last edited:

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
Poll is missing Romancing Saga 3. I just finished it recently and whoof, it's a damn good SNES era RPG.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Out of that list it's Chrono Trigger.

Overall it's Lufia 2 - Rise of the Sinistrals (or simply Lufia here in Germany, since we never got the first one).
I love everything, especially things you barely saw in other RPGs. Including overworld enemies that only moved when you moved, all those puzzles and of course the Ancient Cave.
I only have one complain, and that's the lack of difficulty once you get past Tarantula. It's also the best game in the whole franchise and I still have hope we someday will get a proper Lufia 3.

Dec 15, 2017
Went with FF6, though it's close between that and Chrono Trigger. The transition to the World of Ruin and Kefka pushed me over the edge just barely

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
Chrono Trigger. I play it every year. The music, the time travel, the smooth combat system without a need to grind, its just such a joy to play through.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Chrono Trigger is a masterpiece. One of the best video games ever created imo. Just went through it again and it still holds up so wonderfully.

Flipmenex

Oct 27, 2017
Poll is flawed because the two best rpgs aren't there: Lufia 2 and Terranigma.

But from the available options, FF6 for sure.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Probably Chrono Trigger but FF6 is right up there. Secret of Mana is no slough either. Square was on fire that generation.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone favorite rpg is Chrono trigger yet it gets the least ports of any of squares games

Still not on switch

Never got a remastered version

Never released for PS4

Etc

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
the answer is chrono trigger but why is Lufia 2 not on the poll when it is the second best snes rpg?

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Chrono Trigger is like The Godfather at this point. Boring answer that doesn't really tell me anything about the person other than they're able to appreciate perfection. Best SNES game period, to go a step further.

Wyndstryker

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say FFVI and Chrono Trigger are equal tier to me now. But thats mostly due to replays. But back when I played then as a kid I preferred FFVI more than Chrono Trigger.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
Chrono Trigger nowadays it might not look as impressive as it did once but really the scope and talent that went into the game was amazing and is one of the best memories playing games.

The SNES has a lot of wonderful RPG but there is a reason why Chono trigger is always in all top games list.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
You are missing Lufia 2.

I might give the nod to Chrono Trigger or DQV over it, but it's a close thing. (And in DQV's case, that is based on my experience with the DS version, not so much the SNES version). For replay value it's hard to top Lufia 2, given the Ancient Cave provides you with an awesome roguelike mode.

(I would not personally advocate for FF4/FF5, but they're up there too and have their advocates. Same for DQ4/DQ6, though I think most DQ fans favor 5. And the Soul Blazer trilogy with Terranigma and Illusion of Gaia was amazing. And there's Ogre Battle. Really this is just telling us that the SNES had a crazy strong bench when it comes to RPGs.)