• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017

My personal favorite is Ash Lake from Dark Souls. It's buried behind two secret walls, an area that's really out of the way, a descent filled with some of the most annoying enemies in the game. What do you get from finding this super secret location? Some of the most atmospheric, beautiful visuals in the game, and get to experience the last vestiges of the Age of Fog.

maxresdefault.jpg

1128870-1354118568.jpg

12032028825_285d686cb9_b.jpg

The Painted World is another really great example, and in terms of gameplay, it blows Ash Lake out of the water, but damn the atmosphere is just so amazing.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Pitioss Ruins is one of my favorite experiences this entire generation. On An island far separated from the main continent you find a messed up labyrinth designed with bizzare architecture based around platforming, it's grueling but it was such a different thing compared to the Other FFXV dungeons which were all already pretty good.

Other shouts are ArchDragon Peak from DS3 and Cainhurst Castle from BB. Cainhurst in particular makes me think of what a quality 3D Castlevania stage could look like.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Ash L.... shit.

I guess Hidden Palace in Sonic 2 remaster then. If only for finally having it in an official game

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My favorite is the Ash Lake from Dark Souls, and it is solely my favorite because I am specia- OH GODDAMN IT.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Ash La--
Painted Worl--
Cainhu--
Archdragon P--

Oh goddammit, fine, THE LOST CITY in Legacy of Kain:
latest

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
In Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver the game was originally intended to be a bit bigger and have some mechanics that didn't make it into the final product, but those areas were still finished in the game and were a lot of fun to find and explore.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
The Sendoff Spring which leads to Turnback Cave at Pokémon Diamond and Pearl.

You finish off the Elite Four, it's the postgame and you get the National Dex, and all of a sudden an area opens up east of Route 214.

Sendoff_Spring_Pt.png

First off, look at this place. Sinnoh has a lot of areas like this that just give off a different vibe from the rest of the game.

You go in the cave and you keep ending up in the same room somehow. You figure out the puzzle and end up seeing this guy.

Turnback_Cave_Giratina_Pt.png

Altered_Forme_Giratina_Encounter_Pt.png

Giratina is the equivalent of the devil in Pokémon, and everything about its design and what it took to get it just made it all the more interesting. I miss things like this in Pokémon games.

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
Are hidden areas that common nowadays outside of fromsoft games?
And by that I mean places with actual content, not just tiny rooms with secret items

In most games I'd hesitate to even call them hidden, feels more like optional areas with the game even telling you so at times
Kinda sad sekiro didnt have any hidden area( outside of that second visit to that one place)

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Does Wutai in Final Fantasy VII count? You never have to go there, and the story is entirely dependent on you recruiting a secret character.

It's the only real indication in the original game of a pre-Shinra society that went to war against them and lost. It's expanded on in Before Crisis and Crisis Core, and the Wutai War is one of the most fascinating things in the VII universe. It's also basically feudal Japan in a game otherwise rooted in western inspirations.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
The Sendoff Spring which leads to Turnback Cave at Pokémon Diamond and Pearl.

You finish off the Elite Four, it's the postgame and you get the National Dex, and all of a sudden an area opens up east of Route 214.

Sendoff_Spring_Pt.png

First off, look at this place. Sinnoh has a lot of areas like this that just give off a different vibe from the rest of the game.

You go in the cave and you keep ending up in the same room somehow. You figure out the puzzle and end up seeing this guy.

Turnback_Cave_Giratina_Pt.png

Altered_Forme_Giratina_Encounter_Pt.png

Giratina is the equivalent of the devil in Pokémon, and everything about its design and what it took to get it just made it all the more interesting. I miss things like this in Pokémon games.
So when I was playing through Diamond the first time, I was just randomly exploring in the endgame. I hadn't looked anything up, I didn't know anything about post game legendaries, then I stumbled across Giratina. I was floored. 1) because it was level 70 and my party was just in the 70s themselves. 2) i mean, look at it... if you had no idea it existed and you stumbled across it... yeah, I was shocked and terrified. 3) it did not want to be caught. It kept fainting my team because it was at 1hp and just would not get caught. I went through so many revives to capture it just because it did not want to be caught. One of my top pokemon experiences for sure.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Hell Temple in La-Mulana. It's really hard to find (Like at "would never find without help" levels), really big, and absurdly hard to complete.