• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
Replaying some DMC5. I realized as many problems I have with the some of the stories and characters (*cough* evil pope *cough*) in the DMC series, one thing I have no problem with is these two:

They only share a handful of scenes together in DMC5 (I think 5 actually), but all of them are great. Even the dialogue during their boss fight is fantastic. Despite Vergil only appearing in as the antagonist in 2 games (3 if you count Nero Angelo), you can feel the history in their scenes together. Hell, they even lampshade it in their pre-fight dialogue forgetting how many times they fought or even why. The rivalry is core to their relationship to each other and the characters themselves; they wouldn't be the same characters without it.

Special mention goes to Scorpion and Sub-Zero II. Even after Scorpion finds out that the current Sub-Zero isn't the one who killed his family, he still tries to kill him.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Phoenix and Edgeworth because they develop from once friends now enemies to rivals to friends and it feels really natural. One of my favorite moments in the later games is when Edgeworth randomly mentions
having gone to see Phoenix's daughter magic show with him
and it's one of the most adorable things. They're just great together.

Jul 24, 2018
Era really do love Vergil, lol

I guess Kiryu and Majima's rivalry is quite fun, Edgeworth and Phoenix are great too definitely.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ryu and Ken cause it's only ever been friendly and bro~y

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Red and Blue in Pokémon, it's cool seeing them as bros in later games.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Sonic And Knuckles. Not too much of a thing these days, knuckles is just kind of sonic's mildly aggressive dimwitted friend. But the basis for their rivalry is actually pretty good, outside of like eggman tricking knuckles. Sonic and Knuckles have completely opposing theories on how to live that informed how they operate. Sonic being a free wind and knuckles being the sturdy constant mountain. This combined with how their personalities used to clash sonic being a pompous dork who has to deal with knuckles and knuckles being this guy with a strong sense of duty who has to adapt to sonic.
Its perfect and its since sonic heroes, it something that's been kind of lost.

This is much better than say shadow's "rivalry" which only exists in name, sonic and shadow largely don't give a shit about eachother and barely have an effect on one another. Their clashes only happened because someone was in the way on a pragmatic level more than anything and recent unhappyness with changes to shadow's character indicate a large portion of the audience never really cared about their rivalry either. ( if you wanted literal proof shadow isn't vegeta and the fanbase doesn't seem him that way, the recent controversy was that)

Guess my overall point is, Knuckles while not a good rival has or had a really good rivalry with sonic. Wish they would play that up again, and play shadow's down in future