• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
It's not particularly deep or complex but I'll never forget how to enter Grunty Industries

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Getting the sunburn map in Curse of Monkey Island. "I really dont want to do this."

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the one in phantom hourglass where you have to close the DS to imprint something from the top screen to the map on the bottom screen

Last edited:

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
This might sound dumb, but that part in Full Throttle when you put the lock on the gate and climb up the chain.

I was playing this game with my best- fiend at the time and we tried over and over, and over to try to get to the gate before it closed after holding on to that chain.
We felt like such dummies when we finally figured it out.

Also, probably something I can't remember in The Witness. I never finished it, but the beginning of that game was just like repeated situations where I felt like a genius again and again. I should go back and finish that game...

jumper

Oct 27, 2017
The elevator puzzle in the witness (in the building with the colored glass). When I finally got that 'aha' moment and figured it out, it felt really good.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
The Earth Temple in Wind Waker when you have to line up the mirrors

After you solve the first the rest of it flows like poetry

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
That's nearly a two hour video! What am I looking for? I played it 20 years ago and don't remember.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Figuring out you can jump on the puzzle piece in braid was pretty cool. The puzzles in inside with the helmet were great too

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure I can think of something better but since opening the thread my mind has been fixed on the bit towards of the end of Twilight Princess' city in the sky dungeon where you need to clawshot onto something in the central room but it's just completely out of reach, the solution involves you having to use the second clawshot to lower yourself from some mesh in the room above, back down into the central chamber which leaves you dangling at the right range to clawshot the target.

It's probably the most stumped to AHA moment I've had in the entire series.

That's nearly a two hour video! What am I looking for? I played it 20 years ago and don't remember.
The front entrance to the factory and essentially the entire level is shut, all you can find around the outside is a switch that opens the world's train station which is in the interior.
So you actually have to then leave the world, go to one of the other stations in the game and take the train in, you can then open the front entrance from inside for future use.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
The snake puzzle in Broken Age because of how it relies on careful exploration of all of the environments and the way it subverts expectations.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Light Crusader on the Genesis had a few good puzzles. The one I remember most involves a music box you find where you have to listen to the song and you have to transcribe the song onto giant tuning forks. When you successfully complete it the game says "switch on!" and you can retrieve your prize.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
In Tenchu Shadow Assassins, your first target - the boss of world 1, more or less - is constantly being attended by winebearers. You could go into the buildings, walk over the rafters and assassinate him from above, but you can also just pour poison into the wine and wait until his winebearers kill him.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
tenor.gif

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Theres a puzzle in the last guardian where you're in a pond and theres a ladder high up that you cant reach, after a minute or two of swimming around wondering what to do i look and see trico standing on a ledge and i said "...ohh i know what to do", i called for trico and he jumped in the water and the wave carried me to the ladder.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Ongyo-Ki in Shin Megami Tensei III has this neat little trick where if you fight him during Full Kagutsuchi he has a shadow underneath him and his illusions do not.

Granted I don't wanna prop this up too much, like the Psycho Mantis fight I don't think there's actually any reason to assume this would work and is probably mostly random but it comes close to being the kind of cool puzzle bosses that I like.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
I can't remember specifics, but there's a cool puzzle near the end of the game in 999 that has you
flipping the DS upside down and solving it that way

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Theres a puzzle in the last guardian where you're in a pond and theres a ladder high up that you cant reach, after a minute or two of swimming around wondering what to do i look and see trico standing on a ledge and i said "...ohh i know what to do", i called for trico and he jumped in the water and the wave carried me to the ladder.
Just played through The Last Guardian yesterday and I must have spent an hour on this part. Ended up finding the solution by complete accident. That game is full of some brilliant systems-driven puzzles that must have been a nightmare to implement.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Ooh, a stealth classic point and click adventure game? Can do!

Day of the Tentacle
Problem: Laverne is stuck in a horrible future ruled by tentacles! She needs a disguise to move freely.
In the past, change the original design of the Stars and Stripes into a windsock with holes in it using the Tentacle Anatomy Chart from the future. Then send the American Tentacle Flag to the future for her.

It's one of the puzzles where you have to think in all three eras to make it work, and those really make the game shine. Also the post-credits callback to this is just perfect.

Full Throttle
Problem: Minefield.
Wind-up Bunnies! To the tune of Ride of the Valkyries, no less.

It's a little unreliable, since the bunnies don't always make it across. but that's why you pick up the individual bunnies and finish the path through one bunny at a time later.

The Curse of Monkey Island
Problem: You have to win a banjo duel.
Shoot the other guy's banjo.

The twist being that originally, the duel is a pistols duel, but you can close the box with the gun and pick the banjo behind it. However, after being outplayed in the banjo duel, you can grab the gun and shoot the banjo.

Nov 17, 2017
lozbotw_0005_Layer_5.0.jpg

This shrine from BotW is a little tricky because it doesn't telegraph the solution like most do. The shrine starts with a simple puzzle where you need to use stasis on the seesaw so you can run up without it tilting over. As the name says "Halt the Tilt." Then you get a slightly more complex version of the same puzzle where you can either halt the seesaw tilted in one direction or the other. One direction gets you an optional treasure chest and the other lets you progress.

maxresdefault.jpg

Finally you get to the last puzzle which has two seesaws; one flat seesaw suspended above the other. You have to freeze the lower seesaw at an angle so you can run up to the higher flat one and run across it to get to the goal. Just like the shrine has taught you. When I did that however, the higher flat seesaw tilted from my weight and I fell down. I got stumped on this one for quite awhile. You can't freeze more than one thing at once with stasis so regardless of which seesaw I froze, I couldn't get up there.

Well, remember that optional treasure chest? It's not so optional. It's made of metal which means you can lift it with magnesis. So you run back and grab the treasure chest and use it as a counterweight on the higher seesaw so it doesn't tilt when you run on it. I really like the solution because it makes you think outside the box. Normally treasure chests you find in shrines are just treasure chests. You're too preoccupied with what's in the chest to think about how it can be used. Even the name of the shrine "Halt the Tilt" misleads you into thinking it's all about halting the tilt with stasis but you discover there is more than one way to do that.

That's not all. There's an actual optional treasure chest just near the goal. It's too high to reach normally but if you take the treasure chest from before, lift it high above the seesaw while you're standing on one end and drop it on the opposite end, you get launched into the air. Just the pure physics of the game engine letting you fling yourself towards the extra treasure.

I'm sure I can think of something better but since opening the thread my mind has been fixed on the bit towards of the end of Twilight Princess' city in the sky dungeon where you need to clawshot onto something in the central room but it's just completely out of reach, the solution involves you having to use the second clawshot to lower yourself from some mesh in the room above, back down into the central chamber which leaves you dangling at the right range to clawshot the target.

It's probably the most stumped to AHA moment I've had in the entire series.
This one gets me almost every playthrough. I drop down from that hole and see the room I was in earlier and I'm like "Oh a shortcut back to the beginning!" and let go of the clawshot. Then I realize what I did and have to run all the way back up to that room.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Was about to say this one. It's even cleverly hinted at much earlier on, where you convince Trico to jump into a similar pond using a food barrel, and his splash makes a gigantic wave.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I love the elevator puzzle of sorts in the Alchemy Laboratory in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Complete the puzzle, and you get the Basilard a bit early. You've got an elevator that rises when something stands on a switch nearby, as well as a Blood Skeleton moving back and forth on the platform on which the switch resides. I generally use Summon Spirit (though the timing is difficult) to hit the Blood Skeleton while it's standing on the switch, but it's really funny to see new players (or even some players who've played the game before) struggle with the puzzle due to how erratic the Blood Skeleton's movement is.

Light Crusader on the Genesis had a few good puzzles. The one I remember most involves a music box you find where you have to listen to the song and you have to transcribe the song onto giant tuning forks. When you successfully complete it the game says "switch on!" and you can retrieve your prize.

Nice to see another Light Crusader fan. That game has such a huge variety of puzzles.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Ooh, a stealth classic point and click adventure game? Can do!

Day of the Tentacle
Problem: Laverne is stuck in a horrible future ruled by tentacles! She needs a disguise to move freely.
In the past, change the original design of the Stars and Stripes into a windsock with holes in it using the Tentacle Anatomy Chart from the future. Then send the American Tentacle Flag to the future for her.

It's one of the puzzles where you have to think in all three eras to make it work, and those really make the game shine. Also the post-credits callback to this is just perfect.
This is a beautiful one.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
The entire Water Temple in Ocarina of Time. Unironically. It's brilliant puzzle/dungeon design - particularly the Master Quest one.

I loved all the Braille/Unknown related puzzles in Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire too.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
The Phantom Hourglass one is great. Such good thinking outside the box.

The one in 999 where you enter a code into your watch that you learned from another story path is the first big "oh shiiittt" moment in that game.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Nah this method is still trash because you still need to flip it off at the end which is really awkward with the gyro controls.

The actual solution is to throw the ball off and then rotate 90 degrees anti-clockwise so the ball spawns in right at the end of the maze. And you have guard rails so you can build up speed at the end and do the little flick you require to bounce the ball to the exit.

And even then it still feels awkward due to the gyros not quite be right with this game anyway.

Now to talk about an actual good game...

World+Map+1.jpg

The solution to this puzzle is a great one.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Weirdly, one of my favorite puzzles comes from one of Era's least favorite games: Paper Mario Sticker Star.

The game is more like a traditional point and click adventure game than it's like an RPG since you're collecting items (stickers) and trying to figure out how to use them throughout the world and encounters to solve puzzles.

But one in particular was really clever.
There's a chain chomp enemy who you can't get past, and if I remember right you can't actually kill them in battle. I was stuck on it for a while, but then I decided to try something I'd never done before and see if it worked.
I used a sleep item/move on the enemy which out them to sleep, and then I exited the battle and the Chain Chimp was still asleep in the game world which let me get past them.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017

This puzzle probably had me more lost than any other in my life. I think I remember being horribly overleveled by the time I figured it out and could progress, and the only reason I "figured it out" was because I randomly did the correct thing. Like a monkey banging on a typewriter for eternity finally producing a single legible sentence. Those times before the ubiquity of the internet really were different for gaming as a kid.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Eh. Any puzzle that needs knowledge outside of what is available in-game I can't consider a good puzzle. If you aren't familiar with Shakespeare works, the library puzzle makes no sense.
Oh I know. It's certainly only a personal preference. I just loved how broad the puzzles were and having to sit down and really try to figure them out.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017

I'd be reluctant to count this because this isn't the solution to the puzzle - it's perfectly doable the expected way - but it *is* a really nice workaround.

I have a post from times gone by about my favourite puzzles, I'll dig it out:

From a writeup where I lay into the Towers of Hanoi puzzle as being overused in the modern gaming environment, I have some praise for a small text adventure, because while I might hate the Towers of Hanoi, I love a good subversion of expectations:

But even then there's one text adventure - a small amateur piece - called The Magic Toyshop which then puts a nice twist on the premise - the challenge there is to solve the three-disc Towers of Hanoi in six moves, when it takes seven to do that.

Solution in vague terms:
The theme of the game as a whole is taking classic puzzles but presenting them in an impossible form, with the player having to figure out how to subvert the puzzle using the equipment at their disposal

And in specific terms:
When you're holding one disc, you put glue on it before setting it down - after which you can move that disc and the one below as one

Now *that's* a way to take the Towers of Hanoi and keep it fresh.

One specific example of another puzzle type that I think is hard to execute, but oh-so-rewarding if you nail it:

One of my favourite puzzle types - and incredibly hard to implement well - is a puzzle where the first problem is realising that it's a puzzle at all.

A spoilery example from a text adventure, Curses. If you don't want to read the spoiler and try it yourself (Curses is easily acquirable for free), I'll point you in the vague direction: it involves a book found in the room with the piping.

Throughout the game you have a book detailing the family history of the Meldrew family, and you're looking up details in it regularly. It's too large a book to read cover-to-cover, so when you look someone up, you have to enter their name to get the entry from them. Those entries contain clues and essential information with which to progress; it's important to highlight that the book is re-used a lot.

At one point, you acquire a novel written by a "Marie Swelldon".

That's a puzzle. The game never explicitly makes it out to be one; you need an 'ah!' moment completely independently of the game to progress, to realise that the puzzle exists. The puzzle itself is fairly simple, but the 'ah!' moment is golden.

A series of quick bits of praise of individual puzzles from works of IF:

I've got a few nominations from the world of amateur text adventures, but there's some glorious puzzles here. I'll spoiler them extensively, but after a brief description of the puzzle style, the first paragraph will always be a brief summary of the game and a basic explanation of the puzzle in general; the later ones will be a brief outline of the nature of the solution. Titles are links to IFWiki posts.

Ad Verbum:
Wordplay to the extreme!

There's a lot of wordplay-based puzzles in the games, but I want to focus on the Alliteration rooms; four rooms - one to the north, one to the south, one to the east and one to the west, all focussed on the one letter for that direction.

The rooms take alliteration to extreme levels; North, for instance, is described thus:
Neat Nursery
Nice, nondescript nursery, noticeably neat. Normally, nurslings nestle noisily. Now, none. No needful, naive newborns.
Nearby: ... nifty nappy.

There's more to it than that, though. The parser will only accept words beginning with N. Which, considering the exit is to the south, gives you your first problem. Generally all you actually have to do is retrieve an item then leave the room in each case, but can you do all that using words that only begin with N? And later, E, W and S?

Lock & Key
Dungeon Keeper: The Text Adventure

After a brief opening to set the scene, you're placed in an environment where you have to build a dungeon to guard a treasure from a roving adventurer, with a huge array of tricks and traps to put into place. While it might sound simple, the adventurer is resourceful...

Much of the puzzling come around working out how you can wear down the adventurer, make him use up crucial resources early on so when something more dangerous comes along, he's not got the items he needs to hand any more. You need to experiment with the traps you have available to work out how they play with one another. Sometimes you have to turn a disadvantage (you place a guard in the dungeon... but he turns out to be an old friend of the adventurer, and they cheerfully go on together) into a bonus (Said guard has a poor sense of direction; while the adventurer can breeze through a maze just fine on his own, as a pairing they'll get lost for longer. But being lost for a while isn't a problem, really... unless you poisoned the adventurer three rooms earlier...)

The Edifice:
Language skills

The game is a short game about human evolution. There's one section about creating fire, and there's one section about rearing livestock. But the middle section is the glorious one - you have to learn to speak a foreign language.

Your son is sick. You need to find some Feverleaf to cure him. So you go off exploring... and find a Stranger. He knows where the Feverleaf is. But he doesn't speak your language. Through pointing, drawing and using what bits of the Stranger's language you can pick up, you need to convey that you need the Feverleaf.

Spider and Web:
Piecing together information you've gained over the entire game

The entire game up to this point has been told by yourself, a prisoner, in flashback to his interrogator, but now it's caught up to the present. You've recounted how you infiltrated this base with various hi-tech gadgets, using each one up to now. An underling brings the things you've used into the room - but something is missing. You have to tell the interrogator where it is before he shoots you.

The solution requires one key bit of very out-of-the-box thinking, and careful consideration of the events up to that point.

Rematch:
One move.

You're playing pool with two friends; Nick and Ines. You take a turn... and a lorry crashes through the front of the building, killing you. Yep, you have *one* turn to successfully prevent people dying.

You can't actually win in one turn, you need to die a few times to get some useful information; most notably a table number and realising that there's a dozy attendant at the desk who calls out any number she hears - but your voice - nor your friends' - voices aren't loud enough for her to hear. There's a loudmouth at another table who yells out numbers in conversation. The actual solution requires the use of both your friends, some items from the pool table and in a friends' bag.

...recently I've been getting into puzzle hunts outside the context of games, in particular Puzzle Boat. There's a lot of great solutions in that; at some point I'll get around to putting together the non-game non-riddle puzzle thread I've got bouncing around my head. As a hopefully-more-accessible example of the art, here's one of last year's Twelve Days of Puzzlemas from a friend of mine that I think is a decent introduction to the type of puzzle we could be looking at - as a quick primer you can ignore the scroll and the decorations on the border, they're not relevant to this, and your final goal is to get to a single word or phrase.

Last edited:

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
the one in phantom hourglass where you have to close the DS to imprint something from the top screen to the map on the bottom screen

Came in here to post this! There's a similar puzzle in Hotel Dusk for DS, a really fun noir style VN. Of course, the last puzzle in 999 is also legendary! Some great puzzle games on DS