• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
House and Powers establishes that Krakoa remaining the permanent status quo isn't going to happen. We already know it's going to blow up, the ride is about seeing how it blows up.
I disagree. Unless you truly believe they are just doomed. This is their last chance at beating extinction and this is the one thing they haven't done, as shown in HoX/PoX, so it blowing up pretty much makes mutant stories that try redundant, and leads us back to another lost decade or two where the worst writers do the crappiest Claremont impressions.

Editorial wise the last time they shook the status quo up this hard (Morrison) it was already being sabotaged and retconned before his run was even done and led into what with a few exception and bright points would become the Lost Years. Add in the new status quo puts the X-Men back in the spotlight both critically and commercially in a way they haven't been in years, and at the same time they got the mutants back from Fox and Feige was given a new position putting him at the top of comics and making himself a direct pipeline between the two divisions. So don't be suprised if they decide not to blow it all up.

I am not saying it stays exactly as is but I cannot see anything beyond moving forward from here as an unforced error at best on Marvels part.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
It's transparently obvious that Kwannon's only really back because fanboys luv the Jim Lee Psylocke design.

And that Psylocke and Jubilee are probably the most recognizable East Asian superheroes, but Psylocke being a white woman running around in an Asian woman's body doesn't fly these days, and reverting her back would mean losing a prominent Asian character. Moving Betsy over to the role of Captain Britain and giving the mantle of Psylocke to Kwannon was the best solution in the minefield that Marvel put themselves in.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
My favorite X-Men thing is the New mutants don't use their codenames that much between each other. Even in Krakoa where the mutant matters the most, you have Magneto, You have Wolverine and then you have just some dude called Doug.

And Doug will steal your girl.
Same with the O5. Kate and Emma also don't use codename that often.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree. Unless you truly believe they are just doomed. This is their last chance at beating extinction and this is the one thing they haven't done, as shown in HoX/PoX, so it blowing up pretty much makes mutant stories that try redundant, and leads us back to another lost decade or two where the worst writers do the crappiest Claremont impressions.

Editorial wise the last time they shook the status quo up this hard (Morrison) it was already being sabotaged and retconned before his run was even done and led into what with a few exception and bright points would become the Lost Years. Add in the new status quo puts the X-Men back in the spotlight both critically and commercially in a way they haven't been in years, and at the same time they got the mutants back from Fox and Feige was given a new position putting him at the top of comics and making himself a direct pipeline between the two divisions. So don't be suprised if they decide not to blow it all up.

I am not saying it stays exactly as is but I cannot see anything beyond moving forward from here as an unforced error at best on Marvels part.
They're not doomed, Krakoa isn't setup to last. Sinister, Amenth, Okkara, Destiny, Moira, Krakoa itself feeding off of everyone on the island and shitting out Cthulhu monsters that zombify people, the acceleration of Nimrod production in the main timeline; the foundations of the mutants is not solid and this is going to end, whether it's in five years or in 15, with them staving off their extinction by them finding a better way and the timeline resetting into something more reminiscent of traditional X-Men comics with them back in Xavier's mansion in Westchester and mutants living all over the world instead of focused on their own island connected to another mutant island in another dimension.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Krakoa's very obviously going to explode because that's the story Hickman wants to tell, instead of contributing new ideas to a grand tapestry of stories for others to draw on later he just wants to play with his toys and then close the box for good before anyone else has a turn, and that's basically why I'm just sticking to Marauders and Hellions.

One is Kate Pryde's Drunk Bisexual Pirate Adventures the other is a series about incredibly violent weirdos who get farmed out to a mad scientist for clean up duty because they have nothing better to do.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Krakoa's very obviously going to explode because that's the story Hickman wants to tell, instead of contributing new ideas to a grand tapestry of stories for others to draw on later he just wants to play with his toys and then close the box for good before anyone else has a turn, and that's basically why I'm just sticking to Marauders and Hellions.
I kind of disagree; I think there's a lot of stuff that's going to be left for others when Hickman leaves, I just don't think all mutants living on Krakoa that are immortal because their souls are backed up and they get clone bodies when they die in order to prevent a technological apocalypse will be the hook..

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The timeline resetting into something more reminiscent of traditional X-Men comics with them back in Xavier's mansion in Westchester
And this is the worst thing they could do. The reason they gave Hickman this sort of control to begin with is because what you describe is such a dead horse that if they go back to beating it X-Men could end up not being a prominent property for a long time.

No matter what they do, if they blow it all up again (like genosha, like utopia, like any other actual movement forward) they are least need to come up with a different new status quo, because sending them back to the mansion is just going to turn out the same way it always does.

Hell, even the bright spots like Carey's Run and the early Messiah stuff tried different stuff and kept them on the road, moving, doing stuff that wasn't the typical defending a world that hates us bullshit.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
And this is the worst thing they could do. The reason they gave Hickman this sort of control to begin with is because what you describe is such a dead horse that if they go back to beating it X-Men could end up not being a prominent property for a long time.

No matter what they do, if they blow it all up again (like genosha, like utopia, like any other actual movement forward) they are least need to come up with a different new status quo, because sending them back to the mansion is just going to turn out the same way it always does.

Hell, even the bright spots like Carey's Run and the early Messiah stuff tried different stuff and kept them on the road, moving, doing stuff that wasn't the typical defending a world that hates us bullshit.
The reset would still give them the knowledge of what happens, so it wouldn't be going back to the status quo beyond the mansion as the central hub versus an entire country.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Three pages in and I just realized I haven't really shared, just corrected or added to other people's things.

For me... Well it's complicated. When I first started reading Uncanny X-Men it was the Australia Era. When I first really started paying attention it was Xtinction Agenda.

I think my favorite lore of the X-Men isn't so much any particular thing, but rather how the lore can, for lack of a better word, evolve.

How the stories can be 4 Color super heroics like the original X-Men. How it can be Space Opera. It can be melodrama. It can be magic and cosmic horrors. It can be about social justice and discrimination. It can be about slavery and human rights. It can even be about science denial and and the various -phobias.

Since I started reading X-Men comics I've experienced (through both the issues of the day and the old X-Men Classic reprints) so many stories of every variety, and it wasn't always about being superheroes like other cape comics.

I've seen the X-Men watch one of thier own become like a God and sacrifice herself rather than destroy everything in a passionate rage.

They have face off against a xenomorph type threat, that was going to destroy an entire galactic empire.

Fight against a man who kidnaps people and puts them in a Murder World while wearing a white suit and bowtie.

Fight Magneto on an Island that happened to have a doorway to a demonic dimension that was ruled by a one armed Cat demon sorcerer.

Infiltrate a government institution to enter a computer virus into the computer systems that will erase any mention of them or their identities from any database.

Be transformed into Conan Era setting and have to fight one of Conan's Nemesis with the rest of NYC heroes.

Face a omniversal television executive with literally no spine who rules his dimensions with ratings. He then turns them into toddler versions of themselves.

Go to Asgard with one their number becoming a God and another falling in love with another God.

Sacrificing their lives on live television to seal away an ancient trickster god and being resurrected and made invisible from cameras by the daughter of Merlyn.

Literally watching the clone who was made of and was also their teammate make a deal with demons and bringing a literal hell to Earth.

Saving a young homeless girl from mutant hunting assholes in a mall that had a male strip club in it for some reason.

Being captured and put on trial by a nation that was partially run by a former villain who had previously had his head cut off and was now attached to a huge ass non humanoid mecha body.

Saving former teammates from the influence from a psychic entity that had taken over an entire island.

And that's the stuff from just before the 90s Era started.

And not a single bit of it ever felt out of place with the X-Men comics. The mythos of the X-Men allows for all of those things to work without even using the shared universe of comics. All of those things were just things that happened to mutants, with the exception of two of those event.

And I could honestly go on for a LOT longer. Even skipping the the modern Era with stuff like X-Corp, Sublime, Academy X, Utopia, Custom Mutant Powers as designer drugs, the Messiah Complex and War and Second Coming, etc.

The lore of the X-Men is distinct and varied. And also can crossover with more traditional cape comics seamlessly. And no the concept of "Why do people hate mutants but not the Fantastic Four doesn't count.

As once pointed out by Headmistress of the Xavier Institute, Emma Frost, the X-Men deal with mutant problems, sometimes the other superheroes don't even notice they happen and don't come to help.

So I love X-Men, every bit of it. Even the silly parts.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#StopGivingX-MenToOldWhiteStraightDudes

X-Men spent nearly 15 years caught in a rut where they were beaten down to extinction three separate times because nobody at Marvel had ideas for them beyond "well they're like gay people so that means everyone treats them like shit right?"

Last edited:

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl

One is Kate Pryde's Drunk Bisexual Pirate Adventures the other is a series about incredibly violent weirdos who get farmed out to a mad scientist for clean up duty because they have nothing better to do.
When did Hickman become Bendis?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wolverine was the dick though

No forgiveness

proteusc3rmw.png

This is actually my favourite Cyclops moment.

When did Hickman become Bendis?

They're all like this nowadays. All the "acclaimed writers" at Marvel and DC push in radical alterations to the status quo and then end their works by making it all come crashing down to illustrate an extremely intelligent and brave point like "man the fact that these characters never have endings sure does impede the kind of stories we can tell."

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Three pages in and I just realized I haven't really shared, just corrected or added to other people's things.

For me... Well it's complicated. When I first started reading Uncanny X-Men it was the Australia Era. When I first really started paying attention it was Xtinction Agenda.

I think my favorite lore of the X-Men isn't so much any particular thing, but rather how the lore can, for lack of a better word, evolve.

How the stories can be 4 Color super heroics like the original X-Men. How it can be Space Opera. It can be melodrama. It can be magic and cosmic horrors. It can be about social justice and discrimination. It can be about slavery and human rights. It can even be about science denial and and the various -phobias.

Since I started reading X-Men comics I've experienced (through both the issues of the day and the old X-Men Classic reprints) so many stories of every variety, and it wasn't always about being superheroes like other cape comics.

I've seen the X-Men watch one of thier own become like a God and sacrifice herself rather than destroy everything in a passionate rage.

They have face off against a xenomorph type threat, that was going to destroy an entire galactic empire.

Fight against a man who kidnaps people and puts them in a Murder World while wearing a white suit and bowtie.

Fight Magneto on an Island that happened to have a doorway to a demonic dimension that was ruled by a one armed Cat demon sorcerer.

Infiltrate a government institution to enter a computer virus into the computer systems that will erase any mention of them or their identities from any database.

Be transformed into Conan Era setting and have to fight one of Conan's Nemesis with the rest of NYC heroes.

Face a omniversal television executive with literally no spine who rules his dimensions with ratings. He then turns them into toddler versions of themselves.

Go to Asgard with one their number becoming a God and another falling in love with another God.

Sacrificing their lives on live television to seal away an ancient trickster god and being resurrected and made invisible from cameras by the daughter of Merlyn.

Literally watching the clone who was made of and was also their teammate make a deal with demons and bringing a literal hell to Earth.

Saving a young homeless girl from mutant hunting assholes in a mall that had a male strip club in it for some reason.

Being captured and put on trial by a nation that was partially run by a former villain who had previously had his head cut off and was now attached to a huge ass non humanoid mecha body.

Saving former teammates from the influence from a psychic entity that had taken over an entire island.

And that's the stuff from just before the 90s Era started.

And not a single bit of it ever felt out of place with the X-Men comics. The mythos of the X-Men allows for all of those things to work without even using the shared universe of comics. All of those things were just things that happened to mutants, with the exception of two of those event.

And I could honestly go on for a LOT longer. Even skipping the the modern Era with stuff like X-Corp, Sublime, Academy X, Utopia, Custom Mutant Powers as designer drugs, the Messiah Complex and War and Second Coming, etc.

The lore of the X-Men is distinct and varied. And also can crossover with more traditional cape comics seamlessly. And no the concept of "Why do people hate mutants but not the Fantastic Four doesn't count.

As once pointed out by Headmistress of the Xavier Institute, Emma Frost, the X-Men deal with mutant problems, sometimes the other superheroes don't even notice they happen and don't come to help.

So I love X-Men, every bit of it. Even the silly parts.
All of this.

X-men had fallen off for me for years but I decided to start with messiah complex and just read all that stuff to the current Hickman run and it's been a blast. I haven't read every series but I've gotten the gist of almost everything and it's amazing how durable these characters are and howmany situations that can be placed in that work.

I'm currently reading Bendis' run on all new and uncanny and Jason Aaron's run on Wolverine and the X-men, two totally different takes and it just works.

Any other titles from this era you guys can recommend?

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
No forgiveness

proteusc3rmw.png

This is actually my favourite Cyclops moment.

They're all like this nowadays. All the "acclaimed writers" at Marvel and DC push in radical alterations to the status quo and then end their works by making it all come crashing down to illustrate an extremely intelligent and brave point like "man the fact that these characters never have endings sure does impede the kind of stories we can tell."
I'm gonna need evidence for Hickman. He reestablished the status quo for the entire Marvel Universe, left everything open and even supported a controversial plot point that Dan Slott did on Fantastic Four.

Bendis was told for years that Emma and Scott should get back together and wrote this:

Ca4M8eXWAAA95ab.jpg:large

Also ignored that Emma once mocked the same outfit she suddenly started wearing. And basically mocked Emma Frost anytime he could.

how-emma-frost-sleeps.jpg

The powerful woman who owned her sexuality was suddenly reduced to being called a slut and sleeps in comedy positions.

Bendis burns his toys on the way out and leaves others to try to fix them.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
All of this.

X-men had fallen off for me for years but I decided to start with messiah complex and just read all that stuff to the current Hickman run and it's been a blast. I haven't read every series but I've gotten the gist of almost everything and it's amazing how durable these characters are and howmany situations that can be placed in that work.

I'm currently reading Bendis' run on all new and uncanny and Jason Aaron's run on Wolverine and the X-men, two totally different takes and it just works.

Any other titles from this era you guys can recommend?
just jump on with the rest of us. House of X, Power of X. And then catch up with X-Men, Excalibur, New Mutants, Marauders, Hellions, X-Force and X-Factor.

But read All New Wolverine first. Watch X-23 come into her own.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
A British woman took over the body of an Asian woman and it took nearly 30 years before the Asian woman got her body back.
The biggest WTF moment is when you realize who Marvel Comics's current editor-in-chief is. A white man who spent a huge chunk of his career pretending to be a Japanese man. And people at Marvel knew and covered for him. Literally lying to the press about it.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna need evidence for Hickman. He reestablished the status quo for the entire Marvel Universe, left everything open and even supported a controversial plot point that Dan Slott did on Fantastic Four.

Bendis was told for years that Emma and Scott should get back together and wrote this:

Ca4M8eXWAAA95ab.jpg:large

Also ignored that Emma once mocked the same outfit she suddenly started wearing. And basically mocked Emma Frost anytime he could.

how-emma-frost-sleeps.jpg

The powerful woman who owned her sexuality was suddenly reduced to being called a slut and sleeps in comedy positions.

Bendis burns his toys on the way out and leaves others to try to fix them.

Bendis is a demonstrably bad writer on anything he hasn't personally created, yeah.

Anyway I'm not saying they're bad writers, like technically speaking Al Ewing's Immortal Hulk does a bit of what I rag about and it's the singular best ongoing Marvel comic. I'm saying when you get to these comics there is an almost tangible sense of them being auteur driven. It's not really an Avengers or Spider-Man comic set in a wider universe, it's more about what these writers want to infuse into these decades old characters who are intended to outlive us all. They're complete stories instead of a perpetual second act and they're allowed to do this because of how comics are written nowadays as single run, arc-driven stories.

I stress again that the reason they're allowed to push these ideas is that they're critically acclaimed and sell a lot of comics.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
His comment read less like he supported it and more like it was out of his hands since Franklin fell out of the the purview of the X-Office and was just going to deal with it since it wouldn't drastically alter his plans.
Fair.

I personally am still of the opinion that the "not a mutant" thing is actually a plot point tied to the Forever Gate (which is tied to all realities and worlds and times) because like John Hickman, Dan Slott is a continuity porn guy.

In Superior Spider-Man Dan Slott brought back Shocker. SHOCKER!! The "VR" villain that was in love with Doc Ock. And even had Ock Spidey appear as the White Suit Doc Ock to finish the story.

Love or hate Dan Slott he adores continuity. So does John Hickman.

I have a feeling this Franklin stuff has a lot more before its done. Especially after the most recent issue of FF.

Hickman has a history also of being coy, he did it during the Incursions, the Secret Wars, and the only Marvel reboot (which rebooted nothing except adding Ultimate Universe characters)

I'm gonna let it play out.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Bendis is a demonstrably bad writer on anything he hasn't personally created, yeah.

Anyway I'm not saying they're bad writers, like technically speaking Al Ewing's Immortal Hulk does a bit of what I rag about and it's the singular best ongoing Marvel comic. I'm saying when you get to these comics there is an almost tangible sense of them being auteur driven. It's not really an Avengers or Spider-Man comic set in a wider universe, it's more about what these writers want to infuse into these decades old characters who are intended to outlive us all. They're complete stories instead of a perpetual second act and they're allowed to do this because of how comics are written nowadays as single run, arc-driven stories.

I stress again that the reason they're allowed to push these ideas is that they're critically acclaimed and sell a lot of comics.
I'll say it.
Brian Michael Bendis is and always has been a bad comic writer. He wants to play with established superheroes but gives no respect to what became for him or after him.

His writing for the original 5 X-Men. He had the costumes redesigned from the Steve Ditko original designs and their "Graduation" outfits. Instead giving them a very generic team costumes complete with see through glasses (except Cyclops) The O5 didn't become interesting until others were writing for them.

And don't even get to me about he ruined the Superman family.

Al Ewing will close the door on the Hulk being literally immortal but he's doing the Hulk has been presented as nearly immortal since Peter David was writing the book. He's establishing that all the Hulk's we've seen since the 60s have been actual characters.

The Devil Hulk from then begining, the Big Guy, Joe Fixit, etc.

But when Al is done he's is not burning the toys. He will put some back in toybox and giving a direction.

The only thing he might close is the new forms for Doc Sampson, Red She Hulk and the transformations for Hulk.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Best X-lore is the lore that never got to be.

Claremont's original Mister Sinister and Gambit thing was amazing: Sinister was just projection of a mutant kid that Scott knew, and Gambit was a heroic projection the same mutant created because he fell for Rogue.

Stryfe really being Cable.

Magneto is Xorn, dagnabbit.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'll say it.
Brian Michael Bendis is and always has been a bad comic writer. He wants to play with established superheroes but gives no respect to what became for him or after him.

His writing for the original 5 X-Men. He had the costumes redesigned from the Steve Ditko original designs and their "Graduation" outfits. Instead giving them a very generic team costumes complete with see through glasses (except Cyclops) The O5 didn't become interesting until others were writing for them.

And don't even get to me about he ruined the Superman family.

Al Ewing will close the door on the Hulk being literally immortal but he's doing the Hulk has been presented as nearly immortal since Peter David was writing the book. He's establishing that all the Hulk's we've seen since the 60s have been actual characters.

The Devil Hulk from then begining, the Big Guy, Joe Fixit, etc.

But when Al is done he's is not burning the toys. He will put some back in toybox and giving a direction.

The only thing he might close is the new forms for Doc Sampson, Red She Hulk and the transformations for Hulk.
I love most of what Ewing writes (it's a shame what happened with Loki:Agent of Asgard) but as a Hulk fan who has read it all multiple times (love the Herb Trimpe era, especially when there was a Severin on inks/finishes) what Al has done within this particular book in both smaller arcs and the overall title dominating plot and how it ties in with all the hulk lore and puts a lovingly designed bow on it to wrap everything hulk has ever been into the creation of one of the OG not the greatest Hulk tale I have ever read and maybe even second only to Morrison's Doom Patrol for my favorite single run in cape comics ever, and it is utterly amazing and I am glad I was here while it was happening as a comic fan who loves most eras of the medium.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
The Phoenix Saga is probably my favourite arc in all comics.

Which pisses me off since they tried twice to adapt it to film and messed up both.

Hard to pick a favourite part, but Xmen getting their ass kicked by the Hellfire Club is up there, mostly due to Mastermind controlling Phoenix.

AB838321-11-E6-4-CB4-B342-CF89-E871-EBFA.webp

There's Xmen and there's Xmen by Chris Claremont.

Wolverine getting his admantium ripped out of him is also up there.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In recent developments :

Moira, the long time human ally, is actually a mutant, with the power of reincarnation, and she's already been through 9 lives, trying in her 10th life to navigate a path where mutants aren't all killed in the end.

Doug got married and he's the only one who can't understand what his wife says, despite his power being understanding languages, and because hers is a Black Bolt like power of her words essentially being psionic.

I love most of what Ewing writes (it's a shame what happened with Loki:Agent of Asgard) but as a Hulk fan who has read it all multiple times (love the Herb Trimpe era, especially when there was a Severin on inks/finishes) what Al has done within this particular book in both smaller arcs and the overall title dominating plot and how it ties in with all the hulk lore and puts a lovingly designed bow on it to wrap everything hulk has ever been into the creation of one of the OG not the greatest Hulk tale I have ever read and maybe even second only to Morrison's Doom Patrol for my favorite single run in cape comics ever, and it is utterly amazing and I am glad I was here while it was happening as a comic fan who loves most eras of the medium.
I still 100% stand by my hunch after reading issue #1 that this was gonna be a classic the way Moore's Swamp Thing run was.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of incorrect. Angels and demons exist in Marvel; it's just that some subsects of mutants expressed powers and appearances that looked angelic and demonic, and Azazel was banished to a hell dimension via human/mutant magic and then exploited his situation.

He's not the devil; he just has his own little hellscape. There's plenty of demons that rule Hell, but the primary "the devil" role belongs to Mephisto, who is explicitly not a mutant.

Speaking of the Devil, the actual Devil, he hates Wolverine.

wolverine-goes-to-hell1.jpg

Yes, that's the actual Satan fighting Wolverine in Hell.

Sidebar, the actual actual devil is a disembodied gamma radiation cloud called The One Below All.

I see your Devil and raise you the original SATAN.

FmQ5301.png

0E1M9GX.png
k2BXchG.png

Sadly, 2000s Marvel felt the need to bring back the ridiculous 40s superheroes, retcon their origins to be more mundane and tie them to WW2.
(I wouldn't mind so much if it weren't for the fact that the 40s comics shove WW2 down your throat so hard that these kinds of batshit stories were a breather from that.)

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Best X-lore is the lore that never got to be.

Claremont's original Mister Sinister and Gambit thing was amazing: Sinister was just projection of a mutant kid that Scott knew, and Gambit was a heroic projection the same mutant created because he fell for Rogue.

Stryfe really being Cable.

Magneto is Xorn, dagnabbit.

Other X-Lore that never got to be:

Cable is an older version of Cannonball.

Mystique is Nightcrawler's father. Destiny is his mother.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
But you are describing the grim reality of cape comics. At the end, no matter what you've done, you have to maintain the status quo of the franchise, least it becomes to unrecognizable to fans or the story actually ends.

Like, the Krakoa storyline seems like a very good kingdom story, but...knowing how these things go, it seems like just another temporary storyline and they're gonna be back in upstate new york in a year or two because that's what the people know.

And that sucks.