• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Favorite Lupin cast member

• Lupin

Votes: 38 21.5%
  • Jigen

Votes: 65 36.7%
  • Goemon

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • Fujiko

Votes: 34 19.2%
  • Zenigata

Votes: 29 16.4%

• Total voters

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
Alright, there have been plenty of these animation ensemble polls, but now it's time for the definitive one: who is your favorite member of the Lupin III cast? If a series can sustain itself for 50 years with just 5 recurring characters, they must be pretty well-liked.
DZ6-GPRCVMAEOVGn.jpg

Arsène Lupin III:

latest
vlcsnap-2021-06-01-12h24m08s467.png

tumblr_nn1ayoROUh1u0ti7oo9_500.png
latest

Daisuke Jigen:

vlcsnap-2021-06-01-11h52m17s588.png
vlcsnap-2021-06-01-11h55m02s626.png

latest
Screenshot-2021-06-01-artist-unknown-kazuhide-tomonaga-lupin-iii-lupin-iii-2015-animated-character-a.jpg

Goemon Ishikawa XIII:

vlcsnap-2021-06-01-12h40m49s734.png
lupin-iii-goemon.jpg
Screenshot-2021-06-01-atsuko-tanaka-lupin-iii-lupin-iii-plot-of-the-fuma-clan-animated-effects-fight.png
Dctw9-Iq-VAAARMOr.jpg

Fujiko Mine:

vlcsnap-2021-06-01-12h11m36s474.png
Screenshot-2021-06-01-atsuko-tanaka-nobuo-tomizawa-lupin-iii-lupin-iii-castle-of-cagliostro-animated.png
lupin-iii-the-fuma-conspiracy_t112319_1.jpg
shot0063.png

Koichi Zenigata:

Screenshot-2021-06-01-gisaburou-sugii-lupin-iii-lupin-iii-pilot-film-animated-character-acting-effec.png
Screenshot-2021-06-01-hayao-miyazaki-lupin-iii-lupin-iii-part-i-animated-character-acting-running-sm.jpg
2e1b8e76a0ad529c436a2cb407974288.gif
latest

Last edited:

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
They are all great. I like Goemon. So OP they constantly have to nerf him or separate him to not make things too easy for Lupin.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
They're all amazing. But props to Fujiko for managing to finesse the greatest thief out of treasure and money over and over.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
The one that got her own show.

Fujiko is the best and it's not even close.

Also reminds me that there is this kabukicho rock bar scene regular that 24/7 cospays as Jigen.

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
Jigen. Both the perfect counter balance and friend to Lupin.

Goddamn I just have to add how much I love the art style of some of the older series/OVAs.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
They're all S rank characters. Even that doofus Zenigata.

But if I have to pick just one then you know I gotta go with Fujiko.

Oct 25, 2017
I'll let others vote, because I haven't seen enough of it, but I just watched the CG movie this weekend and it was delightful. And gorgeous.

Oct 27, 2017
I voted Lupin, but Zenigata might be my favorite goofy character in all of anime. I usually hate those types, but he balances his goofiness with competence really well

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I think Jigen is by far the most consistently entertaining character. I love thrill seeker mastermind Lupin (and thankfully that's mostly what we get nowadays) but some of the humor in part 2 for example makes him so dumb and whiny he becomes the worst part of the episodes in half of the series.

Some of my favorite episodes are actually Goemon ones though, but it feels like he just doesn't play well with the rest of the cast, often getting sidelined in a big way when the story isn't specifically about him, while Lupin, Jigen, Zenigata and Fujiko are much better integrated into any kind of story.

brb

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Jigen on top where he belongs. He's just too cool. 😎

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
I think Jigen is by far the most consistently entertaining character. I love thrill seeker mastermind Lupin (and thankfully that's mostly what we get nowadays) but some of the humor in part 2 for example makes him so dumb and whiny he becomes the worst part of the episodes in half of the series.

Some of my favorite episodes are actually Goemon ones though, but it feels like he just doesn't play well with the rest of the cast, often getting sidelined in a big way when the story isn't specifically about him, while Lupin, Jigen, Zenigata and Fujiko are much better integrated into any kind of story.

I've always been partial to the Pink Jacket series, but I do agree that I prefer Lupin when he's a thrillseaker mastermind than an whiny buffoon.

Ishmael

Oct 27, 2017
I would guess Jigen is the most voted-on partially because he is emblematic of the whole group relationship. He has a clear dynamic with every other member of the gang (give or take Zenigata.)
Personally, I've always felt that it's Lupin that the other characters reflect off.
Jigen is sedate and humorless while Lupin is fun and outgoing.
Goemon is tradition and innocence while Lupin is modern and worldly.
Zenigata is responsibility while Lupin is freedom.
Fujiko was originally more about the male/female dynamic but recently the writers have played up the cutthroat, thrill-junky aspect of her personality so Lupin is now the restraint in that relationship.

But whatever it is, I'm impressed that these five characters meshed immediately and didn't need any additions to the cast. There aren't any Poochies or Cousin Olivers in Lupin's history.

I'm glad that the current writers not only seem to be thinking about who the characters are, but how they interact. Poor Goemon was sidelined way too often in the past since the writers either weren't certain what to do with him or didn't want him chopping his way to the end of the story in five seconds.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta go with Pops, he's such a great guy(usually)

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
But whatever it is, I'm impressed that these five characters meshed immediately and didn't need any additions to the cast. There aren't any Poochies or Cousin Olivers in Lupin's history.
There was a mandate to stop the cast from growing, but I wonder if that will continue now. The last tv special (Prison of the Past) featured Zenigata's assistant from Part 5, even though it wasn't associated with Part 5 at all otherwise. Of course, he's just a minor supporting character, so it's different from actually bringing back someone like Rebecca or Ami in another major role.

OP
OP
Prof Bathtub

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018

I'm glad that the current writers not only seem to be thinking about who the characters are, but how they interact. Poor Goemon was sidelined way too often in the past since the writers either weren't certain what to do with him or didn't want him chopping his way to the end of the story in five seconds.

Well, there is Rebecca and Daniel Craig in Part IV and Ami in Part V, but I understand what you mean.

From what I gather in the 90s specials, they often sidelined either Goemon or Zenigata, or both.

There was a mandate to stop the cast from growing, but I wonder if that will continue now. The last tv special (Prison of the Past) featured Zenigata's assistant from Part 5, even though it wasn't associated with Part 5 at all otherwise.
There were other semi-recurring characters like the Commissioner in Pt. I/a tiny amount of Pt. II, but maybe they didn't want him to also be Zenigata's superior in Interpol when the settings became more international.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Lupin followed by Zenigata for me.

I still need to see Part 5.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Whoa, why is Goemon so low.
It's impossible to choose between Zenigata, him and Jigen.

Probably the best cast ever in fact.

Oct 26, 2017
Depending on the episode, it's either Jigen or Zenigata for me. In the newer series, Zenigata is almost too competent it's scary.

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa, why is Goemon so low.
It's impossible to choose between Zenigata, him and Jigen.

Probably the best cast ever in fact.
Of the main cast, he arguably gets the least amount of time in the spotlight. I can also guess he's a bit more difficult to write into stories, given his insane skills.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Voted for Lupin but I'm alright with Jigen winning. I would have voted all of them if the choice was available.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Jigen's dynamic with Lupin is great, but it's hard not to love the titular character.

I was Lupin for Halloween after falling in love with Castle of Cagliostro, after all.