• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Playing Pokemon Red for the first time and being in disbelief about what I was experiencing. That I had a Gameboy of my own, that I was open to an adventure with as much choice as that game.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Various Destiny 1 blind raid completions (VoG, Crota) with friends + randoms who became friends.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Sitting in my room with 2 of my brothers. I was playing OoT on a 12" TV and screaming and laughing simultaneously as I tried to get through the Gerudo Fortress. My older brother was laughing and saying I was crazy because I was so nervous and terrified of the dungeon. I was maybe 12-13 years old.

Jan 4, 2018
giphy.gif

And playing Jet Force Gemini.

Evil Lucario

Feb 16, 2019
Getting 1:13 IGT for 100% Super Metroid as a 12 year old. I don't think I can beat that time anymore without putting in more time into the game, but that was the time that really cemented Metroid as my favorite franchise ever.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Getting an N64 during Christmas and playing Mario 64 for the first time.

Getting the wing cap in Mario 64.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Snowmageddon 2010.

Because of the blizzards striking Pittsburgh, I had the week off from school. I had received Mass Effect 2 for my birthday a week prior. I remember binging that masterpiece for hours, every single day. I doubt there'll ever be an experience like that again.

data west

Oct 25, 2017

I would watch my brother play San Andreas when he would come over, but I never got to play it because I had an Xbox. I would go to sleep thinking about the game, all I wanted to do was play the game. For Christmas, I only wanted two things. A PS2(the Slim was out at this point so the thing was pretty affordable) and San Andreas. I played that shit for 24 hours plus, only taking breaks to pee. Even eating, I would do while playing. I was completely obsessed with that game, and it's probably my favorite game of all time to this day.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Various Destiny 1 blind raid completions (VoG, Crota) with friends + randoms who became friends.

I was trying to rack my brain for something older but its probably this. That and we used to do this stupid "Bubble Raid" thing in Crota. We'd all run titans bubbles and just continuously generate orbs. We would only do it during the first part but it was such stupid fun.

DrScissorsMD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
When having a birthday party meant having a halo 1 / 2 LAN party.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Playing Pokemon (games and TCG) with friends on school.

Playing (cheating) GTA San Andreas with friends after school.

Today I don't have any friend that play games, so I miss those days.

xeroborn55

Oct 27, 2017
If I had to pick just 1, I think I'd say the first 5 or 10 hours of bioshock. The feeling of immersion is something many games strive for but few achieve to the level that bioshock managed.

Medica II

Alt account
Banned
Jun 14, 2019
Probably Neopets from 2004-2006. It was my first MMO and working together with the community to try and complete the various site events like the Lost Desert Plot was a ton of fun. I outgrew it shortly after but 10 year old me absolutely adored that site.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
When my big brother brought home our first C64. Going through all the tapes with games.. playing cauldron, uridium, commando etc. It was magic.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Super Mario 64 at a friends house at the age of 9-10, it was my lifetime goal that nag my parents about getting me a Nintendo 64.

After that, Goldeneye 64, Ocarina of Time, Mario 64 ...

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Oh thats a really good question. I guess playing Top Gear Rally for the N64 on a kiosk at Best Buy when I was little as my mom and brothers looked on. I drove a green car through the Jungle stage with rainy conditions. The feeling was intense and I remember my younger brother crying the background from what I assumed was the game.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Probably Neopets from 2004-2006. It was my first MMO and working together with the community to try and complete the various site events like the Lost Desert Plot was a ton of fun. I outgrew it shortly after but 10 year old me absolutely adored that site.

This is a good one too. I remember getting all the treasure map pieces so I could zap my Kacheek in hopes that it would get turned into a robot. Man I had a Draik, Krawk, and a Robot Kacheek.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Playing Pokémon Silver.

I was 9 years old. My parents were going to a Euchre tournament at my Aunts house. I was going to be the only child there. They let me rent a game. At the rental place I found Pokemon Silver. The year prior I had gotten Blue and loved it. I had no idea there was a sequel coming.

I remember sitting in the dimly lit living room with all the chatter from the tables in the kitchen and basement. I was amazed. The game was such a big improvement. I played for probably 5 hours straight. It was so cool having a radio and phone, it felt like a living world. I remember meeting Kurt. It felt incredible the interaction with him. We went on a mission together to beat Team Rocket. Later on meeting Lance, the guy from the first game was even more incredible.

Just an overall amazing experience.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Metal Gear Online 2. I found a clan early on, and played with them consistently nearly every night for 4 years. Weekly survival matches and tournaments. We were a well oiled machine. I will forever look back on that time as some of my favorite online gaming memories. TEMP will forever live on.

Also, playing GTAO ON PS3 and PS4 with fellow era/gaf members. We would spend all our time stunting off everything in the game, and make money when we weren't screwing around. Never griefing, only earning. Easily my second favorite online experience ever.

After that, NIER, Metal Gear Rising, Marvel 3 all are strong in my memories as well

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Playing the beta for Dark Souls 2 and then my place got raided by the Cops who messed up and where meant to raid my neighbor

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's a tough one, mostly just because my memory is so shitty I don't really remember much in the way of individual standout moments. One distinct memory I do have is playing Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness for the first time years after it had been released (with all the patches applied and stuff) and just being unbelievably engrossed in the atmosphere in the Louvre Storm Drains (it's an incredibly atmospheric game in general but that level in particular just stood out to me). So yeah, that's a good memory.

Another one is relocating my PS3 to my parents' study (this was before our house had WiFi) in order to go online and download the Mirror's Edge demo. I played that thing over and over.

Oct 26, 2017
It's hard to nail it down to one, but I'll go with the trail scene from Chrono Trigger. The sudden shift in tone aided by the unique visuals for that part really stand out, it seemed so serious yet still maintained the games whimsical sense of humour. It really seemed to highlight the fact that you, the player, was getting swept up in a moment to moment adventure. It's not that long since you were just a kid going to the fair, then you travel back in time to save a princess and a Queen and before you know it you're on trial for kidnapping!
Then it really drives it home by referencing things you'd done earlier in the game by wheeling out witnesses.
I think it was the first time I felt that involved with a game, I wasn't just trying to beat a level or a boss for the sake of beating it, I was wrapped up in a narrative and wanted to see what was going to happen next.