• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Even if a pawn becomes a queen, it is still just a playing piece" - President Johnson, MGS2
Perfect quote that encapsulates some of the concepts of the game perfectly.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
As I picked myself up, all I could hear was the ceaseless drone of traffic.
Live went on around me, but the explosion was to change my life forever.

The opening words of Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templar. Etched in my mind until the day I die.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Shoot me in the face! The FACE!!!!
- Face McShooty

"Is it just me or does it seem like he's gonna betray the f**k out of you?!"
- Mr Torque

Borderlands series has some really dumb dialogue that just works for me. Not overthinking things just surface level laughs if you let yourself get in the world.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
"Sometimes there is no happiness ahead. Sometimes you just keep going and never stop. Life is empty now." - Last of Us
As empty as this quote, smh. Another quote I really like from Umineko which is actually a quote from a philosopher says something like this "Those who can't find the happiness around them will never find it elsewhere" so basically you can be all by yourself, literally naked in the middle of the street and can still be happy. A deaf/blind/disabled rich man who've everything else would be happy to trade places with you, but even this guy could be happy if he just looked around and appreciated what he actually has and accepted things as they're while trying to be better

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
Ghostbusters (NES):
ghostbusters-ending-medium.png

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
From my memory but it is one of my all time fav dialogues in a video game. And this came out in 1998. MGS (PsONe)

Meryl: Take me with you I know this place better than you
Snake: You will only slow me down
Meryl: I won't slow you down I promise
Snake: What if you do
Meryl: ... then you can shoot me
Snake: I don't like to waste bullets.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
There is a lot of fab pithy dialogue in Matsuno games. Some from Final Fantasy Tactics:

Delita: Forgive me. 'Tis your birth and faith that wrong you, not I.

---------------

Argath: You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!

---------------

Wiegraf: All such tales of gods and their miracles are false. Those who would lead prefer that history suit their needs, and rewrite it to see that it does. And why shouldn't they? The fault lies not with them. The reeking masses yearn for gods and miracles. It is their opiate, and they consume it greedily. The people do not endeavor towards greatness, but rather mire themselves in their petty strifes - shackles on the feet of man. Their leaders give them no more than that for which they clamor. It is history's oldest and most oft-repeated tale. Do men exploit this weakness to dominate their fellows? Mayhap they do. But they succeed only because the people are eager to know such dominion. Gods are only illusions born of man's fear. It is they who see this charade for what it is and join in the pageantry who are to blame.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
"It's been a long time. How have you been? I've been really busy being dead. You know, after you MURDERED ME."
Portal 2.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
I don't actually remember much of Vagrant Story, but one line stuck with me through the entire thing.

Callo Merlose: It's far to dangerous!. We must wait for reinforcements!

Ashley Riot: Reinforcements? I am the reinforcements.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
"After I kill you, I will rape your corpse. Don't worry. I'll be gentle."

I was kind of shocked they actually had the guts to put it in Morrowind.

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
"Apparently so, but suppose you throw a coin enough times... suppose one day, it lands on its edge."

Kain from LoK

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Was looking through my FFXIV screenshot folder because that game has lots of great lines but I forgot all about this one

92ZzjpL.jpg

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
"Weiss, you dumbass! Start making sense, you rotten book, or you're gonna be sorry! Maybe I'll rip your pages out, one-by-one! Or maybe I'll put you in the goddamn furnace! How can someone with such a big, smart brain get hypnotized like a little bitch, huh?! "Oh, Shadowlord! I love you, Shadowlord! Come over here and give Weiss a big sloppy kiss, Shadowlord!" Now pull your head out of your goddamn ass and start fucking helping us!"

ChemicalWorld

Dec 6, 2017
"Rise and shine, Mr. Freeman. Rise and shine.

Not that I wish to imply you have been sleeping on the job.

No one is more deserving of a rest. And all the effort in the world would have gone to waste until...well, let's just say your hour has come again.

The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

So, wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes."

Brick

Oct 25, 2017
"Everyone loves a bad idea when it works."

Cayde-6 isn't my favorite, but he occasionally spoke the truth.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
The largest Banora White tree grew on a wealthy man's estate. It was rumored, that those apples tasted the best, but I never stole from that tree, because the wealthy man's son, was my friend...

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
Gaunter O'Dim : I'm no cheat. I give folk what they want, nothing more. That they oft desire unworthy things- that is entirely the fault of their rotten natures.
Geralt of Rivia : You're not human, that's clear. So what are you? A demon? A djinn?
Gaunter O'Dim : Do you really wish to know?
Geralt of Rivia : Yes.
Gaunter O'Dim : No, Geralt, you don't. This one time I shall spare you and not grant your wish.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Basch from FFXII:

"If I could protect but one person from war's horror, then I would bear any shame. I would bear it proudly. I could not protect my home. What is shame to me?"

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Silent Hill has a couple that I still quote with my friends all the damn time

"Have you seen a little girl? Short, black hair."

"Huh, radio. Whats going on with that radio?"

"It was foretold by gyromancy!"

"You must walk the path of the hermit, concealed by the Flouros"

honorless

Oct 28, 2017
"Had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong."

Mass Effect 3, Mordin Solus.

Jan 4, 2018
Ace Combat 0:

Larry "Pixy" Foulke: Did you know... there are three kinds of aces? Those who seek strength. Those who live for pride. And those who can read the tide of battle. Those are the three. And him... He was a true ace.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Rise and shine, Mr. Freeman. Rise and shine.

Not that I wish to imply you have been sleeping on the job.

No one is more deserving of a rest. And all the effort in the world would have gone to waste until...well, let's just say your hour has come again.

The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

So, wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes."

Came here to post this, what an intro

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure it's probably already been mentioned, but Castlevania: Symphony of the Night's "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets." (spoken by Dracula) is up there for me. That game has a lot of quotes I like, though. I know some people think the dialog in SotN in the product of mistranslation, but I love the odd structure to some of the sentences, namely Maria's "You look human and yet...what do you here?" line when she meets Alucard.
To add to the SOTN love, I submit Death's line at the beginning of the game:

"Still befriending mortals.... I'll not ask you to return to our side, but I demand you cease your attack!"

For a game that's as cheesy as SOTN, there's something about this line that really makes me think about Death's character. While Shaft will gladly try to kill Alucard and Dracula will try to use the memory of his mother to coerce him to come back to the side of evil, Death comes across as more pragmatic. More grounded. He knows that Alucard has given up on Dracula and that he'll never return, so he doesn't even bother asking. He knows the answer he'll get.

At the same time, he doesn't want to kill Alucard, either out of respect for him or for his father, so he tells Alucard to fuck off instead. And even when Alucard says no, Death still doesn't immediately try to kill him and instead strips him of his gear so that the castle's inhabitants can get the job done. It comes across as Death knowing what he's going to have to do, but doing everything he can to avoid it.

I'm willing to bet none of this was intended, but it's interesting regardless.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
"Bravery is not a function of firepower."

"What a shame"

"You take another step forward, and there I am again, like your own reflection repeating endlessly in a hall of mirrors."

"That makes me one ugly son of a bitch."

Deus Ex is just gold for this.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
That was undeniable proof that we totally owned you, lamers! - Seifer, Kingdom Hearts 2

Jill, here's a lockpick. It might be handy if you, the master of unlocking, take it with you. - Barry, Resident Evil

Have you seen a little girl around here? Short, black hair, just turned seven last month. - Harry, Silent Hill

June: Fair warning: she's an evil hag.
Supergirl: My god Rao will protect me.
Enchantress: Like he protected your mother?

Batman: I don't have time for this, Damian.
Robin: A good father would make time.
Batman: A better son would deserve it.
- Injustice 2

Last edited:

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Listen to me Basch! Your cage may have no bars, but it is a cage. The eyes of the resistance watch unblinking!

StiLteD

Nov 11, 2017
London
"I hate fish and all they stand for" - Pyre

"A man without a pork bun is not a whole man" - Sleeping Dogs

valentine71

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Okay, it will be kinda long. Even after 20 years there might be people who haven't played it yet and might want to try it someday so I will spoiler tag incase:

Planescape Torment

• One foot in the grave, the other in Hell.
    [*]No good comes of evil roots, I fear.
    [*]It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
    [*]If there is anything I have learned in my travels across the Planes, it is that many things may change the nature of a man. Whether regret, or love, or revenge or fear - whatever you believe can change the nature of a man, can. I've seen belief move cities, make men stave off death, and turn an evil hag's heart half-circle. This entire Fortress has been constructed from belief. Belief damned a woman, whose heart clung to the hope that another loved her when he did not. Once, it made a man seek immortality and achieve it. And it has made a posturing spirit think it is something more than a part of me.
    [*]Fear names. Names have power in identity. Others can use names as weapons. Names are a hook that can be used to track you across the planes. Remain nameless, and you shall be safe. I am the Nameless One.
    [*]You have been divided. You are one of many men. You bear many names, and each has left their scars on your flesh.
    [*]What little life there is in the world is draining out this hole in my body. The world can burn, the planes can burn, just give me life! I will destroy this life so badly, break it, smash it, and stain it in blood and feces, so you cannot live it either! Let all creation burn for I cannot die!
    [*]I suspect that we will continue to die and be reborn until we finally get our life right. I do not know what we have to do to bring that about, though. And therein lies the frustration.
    [*]At what point does the I get separated from the we? At what point am I freed of the shackles of the actions of these other incarnations? At what point am I allowed to be me, without the weight of these past lives?
    [*]There is no room for "2" in the world of 1's and 0's, no place for "mayhap" in a house of trues and falses, and no "green with envy" in a black-and-white world.
    [*]The past is past, and histories care little for a-speaking the truth of it.
    [*]All people love themselves too much to be changed by something as simple as love.
    [*]A thousand deaths, and you recover from each. Not so the mind, the mind is much more fragile. Its scars run deep and do not heal. The brain is encased in a hard bone shell, difficult to breach, but with no defense against that which eats at it from within.
    [*]What can change the nature of a man?
    [*]ENTROPY HAS UNMADE THEM.
    [*]IMMORTALITY IS ONLY A WORD. ALL THAT EXISTS CAN DIE. EVERY LIVING THING HAS A WEAPON AGAINST WHICH IT HAS NO DEFENSE. TIME. DISEASE. IRON. GUILT.
    [*]THE WEAK SUFFER. I ENDURE.
Spec Ops: The Line

It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.

Home? We can't go home. There's a line men like us have to cross. If we're lucky, we do what's necessary, then we die. No, all I really want, Captain, is peace.

Now I gotta go and find some quotes from Pathologic 2 as well...

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
To add to the SOTN love, I submit Death's line at the beginning of the game:

"Still befriending mortals.... I'll not ask you to return to our side, but I demand you cease your attack!"

For a game that's as cheesy as SOTN, there's something about this line that really makes me think about Death's character. While Shaft will gladly try to kill Alucard and Dracula will try to use the memory of his mother to coerce him to come back to the side of evil, Death comes across as more pragmatic. More grounded. He knows that Alucard has given up on Dracula and that he'll never return, so he doesn't even bother asking. He knows the answer he'll get.

At the same time, he doesn't want to kill Alucard, either out of respect for him or for his father, so he tells Alucard to fuck off instead. And even when Alucard says no, Death still doesn't immediately try to kill him and instead strips him of his gear so that the castle's inhabitants can get the job done. It comes across as Death knowing what he's going to have to do, but doing everything he can to avoid it.

I'm willing to bet none of this was intended, but it's interesting regardless.
It's worth noting that Death says that they'll meet again (and they do), so I think Death more so just steals Alucard's equipment as a means of slowing his progress so Shaft has enough time to resurrect Dracula and to ensure that Dracula has as much power as possible. That said, I don't think it's unreasonable to think that Death might've just spared Alucard initially because of Death's relationship with Dracula and was only pushed to the point of fighting him once he realized how close Alucard was to reaching Dracula.

In either case, yeah, I know people make fun of the voice acting in SotN, but I think Death's pretty well-acted.