• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
This is probably one of the most eventful intros in the history of the franchise

a bit too much Star Wars prequels vibe tho

also this one for pure nostalgia

Last edited:

Fraxin

Oct 28, 2017
So why not round it out with your favorite CGI cinematics, people consider them a large part of FF games. Doesn't matter if the CGI cinematic is from the main games or spin-offs, all are welcomed here.

To get the obvious choices for myself out of the way...

The obvious choices posted are the best.

Contranova

Oct 26, 2017
NYC
We've had threads on the Main Menus, Favorite Dungeon Themes, and Favorite Siblings.

So why not round it out with your favorite CGI cinematics, people consider them a large part of FF games. Doesn't matter if the CGI cinematic is from the main games or spin-offs, all are welcomed here.

To get the obvious choices for myself out of the way...

People seem to miss the fact that there was a LONGER version of the FF14 end of an era video where he actually Defeats bahamut:

But my most memorable will always be FF8 intro. That probably changed the way I looked at videogames, and considered it a true form of art.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Agree with most of the scenes posted...just putting in some XIII love

The one below is a bit busy but liked it for its ambition

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Double post. Sorry.
Might as well use this and say that FFX also had some great CGI cutscenes like Yuna sending souls and the kissing scene in the lake. The intro was also pretty hype.

Oct 31, 2017
Did someone just fucking summon me?

Ok I initially tried to post literally like 40 videos but I don't want to post 10 times soooo....

I'll just pick some semi-recent faves.

The 4 media limit pisses me off I had like 10 for each FF lol

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
People seem to miss the fact that there was a LONGER version of the FF14 end of an era video where he actually Defeats bahamut:

May be because it's kinda spoilery?

It plays in the Bahamut raid where we're trying to uncover the truth of what really happened. Though it's old and almost nobody bother to clear it now, it's still cool to see it for the first time in the game so I'm glad that the one most people see is the shorter one

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
This scene was magical and sets up the tone of FF9 so well. It's a nearly perfect introduction to the plot and a great kick-off for the rest of FF9.

Pretty much every single CGI moment in FF9 is a treat.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Answers gives me chills. It's incredible. I also love that random race scene from XIII. It was just dumb fun.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
The FF8 intro movie is so good that whenever a thread comes up asking 'what's the best opening to a video game?' I literally can't understand how anyone can say anything else. It's one of the best 2 minutes in gaming period.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's VIII's opening and it's not been topped since.

Runners up are the Sending from X and Shadowbringers opening.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
VIII definitely has the best CGI. the opening, the dolled mission, the scenes in the Garden vs. Garden War. Absolutely wonderful.

My Fave would have to be the opening though. I remember having it on a demo disc before release and I would show it to all my friends who couldn't believe it.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Wait, how involved was Nomura in these? I know he was the character designer, but this intro has that whole thing with random lines from characters appearing on the screen that was all over the place in the Kingdom Hearts series. I'd completely forgotten they did it in this one too. Was this the first time he did that or did he maybe just like it and carry it over to KH?
I very recently discovered that Nomura directed the VIII intro, and like you, everything fell into place.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I always liked the VII cinematic of the WEAPONS leaving the north crater. It was cool seeing their eyes open before the cinematic and then actually seeing them burst out, plus the idea of the planet creating its own defensive monsters is cool.

Some of the thumbnails of the FFVII Remake posts here are really tempting me to spoil myself and watch them.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While others might be more amazing I loved how perfectly implmented into the game are several CGI scenes in VIII.
That game is still king on the series on how well transitioned CG into gameplay creating some of the best sequences and setpices in the entire series.

I mean this is not only a great CGI it also ends directly on gameplay.

The whole Balamb invasion and battle vs Galbadia is like 40 minutes of pure awesomness:

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
My goats:
  • FFVsXIII reveal trailer
  • FFVII / VII Remake opening
  • IX escaping from Alexandria
  • Answers (still have to catch up on the rest of XIV)

Jan 13, 2020
Seymour summoning Anima in Luca left a lasting impression on me. That's a creepy-ass character design. FFX cutscenes in general were great.

Randroid

Oct 28, 2017

This got me SO hyped. The music is great too.

Too bad the game itself was kinda... meh.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
I think a lot of FFX was peak Square CG storytelling.

They've done Cinematics that look a ton better than X but they haven't been as good or effective for the story since then.

FF15 was nice and would be my choice if Kingsguard counts.

Oct 31, 2017
Also while I'm shouting out spin-offs, absolutely love Chocobo's Dungeon's End of Prologue movie

And this scene from Dirge of Cerberus. So beautiful

Oct 31, 2017
I think a lot of FFX was peak Square CG storytelling.

They've done Cinematics that look a ton better than X but they haven't been as good or effective for the story since then.

FF15 was nice and would be my choice if Kingsguard counts.

I would agree with this though I think IX was equally as good in that department. Plenty of CG cutscenes with tracks solely created for that specific scene, with something extremely memorable occurring.

FFXV's 3 CG movies look great for the most part, though IMO the opening is just dull content-wise and the ending has some cheap effects and bad-looking shots plus an in-engine cut-in.... Kingsglaive looks absolutely incredible but dammit I wish they just made like 20ish mins of that into CGI for the game instead!

Apoptomon

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Personally I prefer the "A New Beginning" version of the FF14 video, which shows shows the heroes arriving in ARR and is used as that "expansion"'s attract mode screen. FF8's opening is a classic though, and hard to top.
Maybe it's cheating a bit because it's half in-game-graphics, but I liked FF12's attract movie too, and recall being a bit disappointed that it seemed to not be in the remaster.