• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I also want to mention Rashid although I don't play him. A super cool character that is for sure going to become a SF mainstay. And his pose game is on fleek.

wLsKiJC.png
yNlGdkK.png
cVh1FYv.png

QGgKaso.png
cZvN1rW.png

43hJift.png
xiy0Btv.png
MvWxUI1.png

I'm a big believer that strong key poses are key to delivering a memorable fighting game character, and Rashid is just such a great example of it.

Plus his theme is a genuine BANGER

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I like your choices. I'd only remove Jack-O from there, because there can never be anyone greater than Baiken and I've had a bunch of rival matches with her. To add to that:

1) Katalina - Just a gorgerous design and solid moveset, but unfortunately I haven't played GBVS enough to give her and Narmaya enough time.
2) Kum Haehyun - Because a huge monk who is actually a mech piloted by a petite girl is such a Guilty Gear idea that you've gotta love this character.
3) Mian - I love her traditional outfit and she has a very different flow to her attacks.

latest

Unfortunately none of the newcomers in SC6 or SS caught my eye, but there's enough brilliant characters in those already.

If it comes down to a single choice though, Rashid takes it. Such a fantastic character.
Didn't say she was better, just a good newcomer this gen. ;)

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Off the top of my head...

I loved the Kombat kids from MKX.
a67c905a502c66143cdf720765f00bb9.jpg

MK has tried to move beyond the main cast before and always struggled, but I felt like this crew walked the balancing act of being the next generation of MK heroes that were both in the shadow of legendary parents and heroes while also forging their own identities and standing apart as unique. Even the "weakest" addition of Jacqui got a full revamp for MK11 and became a legit contender. I really hope Kung Jin and Takeda can sneak into MK11 at some point, because it would be a shame to finally have some new faces finally resonate only to get lost against a backdrop of nostalgic picks instead.

I'll also toss in this one...
tenor.gif

We got a legit great Power Rangers game, everyone! Like, LEGIT GREAT. Not only that, arguably the best Pink Ranger of all time (no pun intended) pops up and she's my favorite character to play as. Never in a thousand years would I have expected Jen from Time Force to be an incredibly fun fighter in an incredibly fun Power Rangers fighting game. But the rest of the roster is no slouch either - from Zeo Gold to Quantum Ranger to Dai Shi, Battle for the Grid is my biggest happy surprise in the fighting game landscape this gen and I'll scream that at the top of my lungs to every fighting game fan in earshot.

Gotchaforce

Oct 31, 2017
Rashid in SFV. He's my main and fun to watch. For a slower game he's fast paced.

Terry in Smash. He hits like a truck and can punish most my friends shit.

Starfire in Injustice 2. Same. I could compete with my friends with her.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Ridley. He's my favorite character in Smash Bros by far, and it would be hard to go back to a game without him

Last edited:

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know Lucia from SFV had fans. She looks so generic to me. My pick would probably be Josie from Tekken 7. I don't even use her but I just really like her design.

latest

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Cassie Cage for sure, cocky and funny with unique enough moves to feel fun and different from her parents.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
G from SFV. He's the newbie I just love to use in that game, looks a bit goofy but has a really cool playstyle, awesome theme and some interesting history behind the character (I just wish Capcom would expand on him more). By far the most fun I've had with a non legacy character this gen.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
latest

Kazumi from Tekken 7. She got me to play Tekken for the first time as I fell in love with her design when I first saw it, especially with the red and gold accents adorning her semi-tradional style outfit. What got me to main her was her fighting moves with her tiger, especially when she uses her "tiger uppercut" attack.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Shugoki (For Honor)
fh-hero-portrait-2018-samurai-shugoki.jpg

By now you probably think "Well this guy has a type" and yes you're damn right I have. I love big buttons and I cannot lie.
Shugoki is For Honor's resident big boy and with it comes all the stuff that I love about them. Big buttons, big damage, satisfying, meaty hits and of course, you guessed it, SUPER ARMOR. Add to that a command grab that can heal him and you never feel like you're completely out of the fight. Shugoki also just has some really fun animations for such a big, menacing looking dude. Immediately fell in love with him when I first played him.

I'm a Warden/Warmonger main, but whenever I want to relax a bit or play more laid-back, Shugoki is my go-to character. He has a simple moveset yet is still a major thread in 4v4s, and he has an awesome design all around.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Rashid, fun to play with a cool design. Very unique character too.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Apart from all the ones mentioned, I'll also throw in Kotal Kahn (MKX and MK11). I dig his look and story.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
Killer Instinct nailed it.

HISAKO - Japanese ghost gal, creepy and with a great counter-heavy playstyle that felt so different for the game.
hisako-killer-instinct-ghost-girl.jpg

KAN-RA - zoning grappler mummy. 'nuff said.
character_bio_hero_kan_ra-1.jpg

AGANOS - so many great mechanics, from being able to change the size of the arena to using parts of him self as a resource. Great character design too.
steven-kosanovich-aganos-01.jpg

Mortal Kombat had some great new characers, from Cassie Cage (and her iconic selfie fatality), Kung-Jin (first gay character in Mortal Kombat), Geras (the sands of time mechanics are great), and to a lesser extent the other Kombat kids and Kotal Khan (ultimate jobber), but a lot of them got robbed of becoming truly great additions with MK11 dropping so many of them, or relegating them in the story again. D'Vorah is probably the major standout, since she absolutely tore threw the case in her first game.
All of these. I never played as them because I am terrible with them but their mechanics are fun as hell and really unique.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
latest

Kazumi from Tekken 7. She got me to play Tekken for the first time as I fell in love with her design when I first saw it, especially with the red and gold accents adorning her semi-tradional style outfit. What got me to main her was her fighting moves with her tiger, especially when she uses her "tiger uppercut" attack.
I really like her design

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Great character, fun to play, badass theme. G has it all. LIGHT IT UP.

Runners-up: Cassie Cage (MKX), Sylvie Paula Paula (KoF14), Ruby Rose (BBTag)

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yang Xiao Long - BBTag

Easily the single best guest character ever and I absolutely adore how she plays and the way she goes into I Burn. The only thing that would make it better is if she has her best outfit Huntress Yang and not her terrible season 1 outfit.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Technically counts, but Terry in Smash Bros Ultimate is easily my favorite character in the game. Hero is also a fun shenanigans character.

Soonri

Oct 25, 2017
For Tekken 7 its Geese Howard but SPECIFICALLY in Season 3.
In previous seasons he was a do everything character, but in Season 3 he's been reworked to be a defensive tank that can do HUGE damage with meter/counter hits.
Essentially a variation of an existing character (Bryan Fury) but in 2D form.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I mostly love "complicated nonsense" characters, with bonus points for "design elegance even with that" and "non-fighting game genre mechanics brought over".

Jack-O; Guilty Gear Xrd Sign
Min-Min; Smash
Steve; Smash
Aganos; KI
Cinder; KI

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Awesome and instantly iconic design inspired by Kung Fu Hustle, very fun moveset with expressive animations, playstyle centred around a unique poison gimmick, very enjoyable personality that comes out fully in the General Story Mode, a great music theme, this mans got it all.... except a high position on the tierlists. I hope he returns in future Capcom games and is done justice.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan

Awesome and instantly iconic design inspired by Kung Fu Hustle, very fun moveset with expressive animations, playstyle centred around a unique poison gimmick, very enjoyable personality that comes out fully in the General Story Mode, a great music theme, this mans got it all.... except a high position on the tierlists. I hope he returns in future Capcom games and is done justice.
tenor.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Mild shock to anyone looking at my avatar I'm sure.
Pokken DX only had one true newcomer before the DLC (though it also brought 4 previously arcade exclusive characters to console) and that was the obligatory "marketing tie in to the current gen" rep.
And for once this approach was actually what I wanted, my wonderful lanky ghost owl popping arrows on the Pokken stage.
Of course it'd all be for naught if they weren't any fun to play, fortunately Namco did good ensuring that this wasn't some basic arrow pinging as they went all in on fancy looking shots, scatters, magnemite sniping (no. really) and tied it together with talon shredding and launching goodness.
A very strong all rounder character.
Gah, I really need to play Pokken one day. Decidueye is such a cool design.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
latest

Oh yes is awesome.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Only picking one character per game. I found someone to love in basically every game, but when it comes to the older IP I usually still stick with the ones I am most familiar with. Anything not listed here (like Injustice 2) I have most likely not played.

Killer Instinct: Arbiter
Street Fighter V: Ed
The King of Fighters XIV: Alice
Soul Calibur VI: Geralt
Mortal Kombat 11: Robocop
Tekken 7: Josie
Dragon Ball FighterZ: Tien
Samurai Shodown: Darli Dagger
Them's Fightin' Herds: Velvet
Power Rangers Battle for the Grid: Trini
Guilty Gear Xrd: Kum Haehyun

Kind of hard to go into details about why I love these characters so much, but I have discovered how varied my playstyles can be depending on the format of the game. Some cases like Arbiter and Robocop though a lot of it comes down to me just loving how accurate they are to their source material.

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
All of Street Fighters new characters.
Its amazing how they can still create such simple yet iconic designs that blend well with designs from decades ago. It has the best designs of any game imo.

Leroy from Tekken. Nothing more can be said. They hit the epitome of cool.