• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
It's been almost 7 years since this interview happened for the 20th anniversary of DOOM, but I always come back to it every ~18 months or so.

It's more of a fun interview (playing through the first act of DOOM with John Romero) than a serious one, but it's entertaining and his insights are pretty neat.

So what are your favorite interviews with developers? What tidbits did you enjoy from them? Feel free to link 'em.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
The NoClip series on Warframe really digs into that studio's culture and has some fantastic insights into the evolution of the game.

Dhruvenator

Aug 29, 2019
Great thread topic! So it's a bit tangential and I hope you allow it (since almost everyone in the interview is a past dev) but this AMAZING interview between Ryan and almost every single exec throughout the history of Xbox is perfecto. A must watch for everyone regardless of platform imo. And lots of nuggets in there that will surprise people...

youtu.be

3 Xbox Bosses Share Secrets of the Console's Past - Podcast Unlocked 201

Current head of Xbox Phil Spencer joins former head Peter Moore, Xbox creator Seamus Blackley, and Podcast Unlocked host Ryan McCaffrey in a tell-all roundta...

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is great to watch, Jeff Minter is incredible. The bit where he gets sort of choked up talking about his back being up against the wall early in his career, resorting to literal shareware (not crippleware) where he was mailing out disks with his full game on them in zip lock bags to people asking if they'd like it to send a donation, and how the public actually rescued him and his careeer is pretty uplifting stuff.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Anything with Yoko Taro

One that sticks in my mind is the interview he did with SE UK for the release of Drakengard 3 where he used a sock puppet to pontificate on the morality of the massive amount of killing you do in the game.

OP
OP
Pyro

Pyro

Jul 30, 2018
United States
The NoClip series on Warframe really digs into that studio's culture and has some fantastic insights into the evolution of the game.

Everything by Noclip is amazing, the Half-Life 2 doc is prolly my favorite.

Great thread topic! So it's a bit tangential and I hope you allow it (since almost everyone in the interview is a past dev) but this AMAZING interview between Ryan and almost every single exec throughout the history of Xbox is perfecto. A must watch for everyone regardless of platform imo. And lots of nuggets in there that will surprise people...

youtu.be

Current head of Xbox Phil Spencer joins former head Peter Moore, Xbox creator Seamus Blackley, and Podcast Unlocked host Ryan McCaffrey in a tell-all roundta...

This definitely counts and I really need to listen to it again.

Everything by Archipel is also amazing! I think their Dreamcast doc will also be something I'll rewatch for quite some time.

OP
OP
Pyro

Pyro

Jul 30, 2018
United States
Bumping for the morning crowd: also check out Steve Gaynor's Tone Control: Conversations with Game Developers. I've listened to these interviews a lot over the years and always enjoy their stories. It's been over for almost two years and the first episode stretches back almost 7 years but I think what they touch upon in regards to game design will forever be relevant.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

youtu.be

This one is so good, I distinctly remember listening to it when it came out and being amazed they got that lineup of guys.

I love Peter Moore's "they hurt my Dreamcast" moment

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I really like this interview featuring character designers Kazuma Kaneko (SMT etc) and Tomomi Kobayashi (the SaGa series).

EHtyUrY.png

They're both super fun interviewees and get into some interesting info regarding their backgrounds, their thoughts on real life fashion (and how it compares to game characters), etc. Random choice quotes:

qUWYWpr.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ksiNna7.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
n8Nc3V7.png

0Tz0rfc.png

Ag4Y3mv.png

rDEIBDz.png

It's adorable how Kaneko works on such dreary games (down to deciding the tone and designing the story and aesthetic) but is such a dorky and funny dude. I recommend reading the whole thing and a bunch of other cool stuff shmuplations has translated and compiled over the years.