• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Khaos Prime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What are some of your favorite younger comedians?

Mine is Hasan Minhaj. His show on Netflix is great (Patriots Act) as is his stand special, Homecoming. Highly recommend checking them out if you have the chance.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
"Comedians" is hard, since I feel like most of the young people I like in comedy are firstly improve people. Even for people who do both, I feel like I rarely see their specials for whatever reason. But off the top of my head:

Hannibal Burres
John Mulaney
Nicole Byer

MetalGearZed

Oct 30, 2017
Bo Burnham

His special, Make Happy, is one of the most hilarious, amazing and impactful things I've ever seen

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
That's a great question because all the comedians idolize are above that age. John Mulaney I guess is a younger comedian I have enjoyed recently.

Oct 27, 2017
James Acaster, without a doubt.

Came to post this. The guy is incredible. I watched his three Netflix shows recently, they're amazingly done; not overtly nonsensical but with enough gentle oddity grounded in everyday situations to make it compelling; tons of clever call backs, and just really well written, fantastically performed and constructed comedy. The way he weaves all these seemingly disparate strands into something cohesive it just fantastic.

I only have to think about shopping in 'The Spag aisle' or the entire Pret A Mange bit and I'm laughing again and I still get into bed each night and say NO MORE JOBS to the wife.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Bo Burnham

His special, Make Happy, is one of the most hilarious, amazing and impactful things I've ever seen

Second this.

I will say about 60% of Ryan Hamilton's Netflix special also had me in hysterics.

The dude sounds JUST like Jerry Seinfeld, but looks like a young Brian Regan had his genes crossed with a clown being. Definitely check him out.

Lady Murasaki

Scary Shiny Glasses
Oct 25, 2017
What are some of your favorite younger comedians?

Mine is Hasan Minhaj. His show on Netflix is great (Patriots Act) as is his stand special, Homecoming. Highly recommend checking them out if you have the chance.

Yes! Hassan Minhaj was the first one in my mind when I read the thread title. I'm really loving Patriot Act and want to see more of his work. I also watched Fleabag recently and it's fucking brilliant and hilarious, so I think Phoebe Weller-Bridge counts as a favorite of mine as well.

yc62k

Mar 7, 2019
John Mulaney of course.

Also Julio Torres - I just watched his HBO special 'My Favourite Shapes' - Funniest thing I've seen this year hands down.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
There's only one correct answer:
john_mulaney_kid_gorgeous_3840x2160_000012_r-e1525187811176.jpg

John Mulaney
Does anyone else kind of agree that he's like Steve Martin? The way he carries himself just totally reminds me of him.

Came to post this. The guy is incredible. I watched his three Netflix shows recently, they're amazingly done; not overtly nonsensical but with enough gentle oddity grounded in everyday situations to make it compelling; tons of clever call backs, and just really well written, fantastically performed and constructed comedy. The way he weaves all these seemingly disparate strands into something cohesive it just fantastic.

I only have to think about shopping in 'The Spag aisle' or the entire Pret A Mange bit and I'm laughing again and I still get into bed each night and say NO MORE JOBS to the wife.
He's not my favourite, but probably a close third. Right behind:
g1KPkiTl.png

Ron Funches

Oh, Hannibal Buress too (after doing some googling).

Jan 10, 2018

He's also one of the few comedians who is just as good on stage delivering a rehearsed set as he is improvising or interacting with others on a panel show or his podcast.

Unfortunately I think his humour is a bit too British to really break out though. I saw an appearance he did on an American late night talk show doing the "ready to eat peaches" bit, and the audience didn't react to it at all really.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Mulaneys episode of crashing is so good. Crashing itself is damn good too... Pete Holmes is 40, damn so close.

Oct 27, 2017
He's also one of the few comedians who is just as good on stage delivering a rehearsed set as he is improvising or interacting with others on a panel show or his podcast.

Unfortunately I think his humour is a bit too British to really break out though. I saw an appearance he did on an American late night talk show doing the "ready to eat peaches" bit, and the audience didn't react to it at all really.

Yep. I've seen him a couple of times on panel shows and he effortlessly dictates the flow of the show with his improv stuff. Really smart guy, but agreed, I can see it not hitting the mark outside the UK.

William

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
James Acaster, without a doubt.

James Acaster has my favourite stand-up set of the last few years with Repertoire, so him probably?

Over the weekend I watched Aisling Bea's sitcom on All4 and loved it, not sure what her stand-up is like, but she has been regularly very funny on all sorts of panel shows so she is up there at the moment.

Other relatively young british comedians I like at the moment:

John Robins
Roisin Conaty
Katherine Ryan
Sara Pascoe
Jon Richardson.

This is mainly based on Panel shows like Taskmaster, 8 out of 10 cats (countdown version), Mock the week etc. The only one I have seen live is John Robins and he was fantastic.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Poop, Alex Horne is 41.

Since Taskmaster is my go-to reference for comedians these days, James Acaster's a decent shout, possibly Ed Gamble. I like Jon Richardson's niche of awkwardness. I really enjoyed Jessica Knappett a couple of series ago, and I hadn't encountered Rose Matafeo before but she's got a lot of promise. Lou Sanders and Sara Pascoe are others who do offbeat well. Katherine Ryan's not for everyone, but I enjoy her work.

Outside Taskmaster, Josie Long is definitely one who comes very quickly to mind. Maybe Ellie Taylor, although I've not seen much of her stuff.

Dec 12, 2017
Iliza Shlesinger

Her "Elder Millennial" special had me legit laughing and that isn't easy for me outside a handful of comics.

Awkwafina is second.

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
ah Jim Jefferies is 42....hmmm

Nish Kumar
Katherine Ryan
John Mulaney
Michael Che (only seen his netflix special but he has potential)

that's about it really, for stand up comics at least.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably Lauren Lapkus but she's pretty much strictly improv / acting, so for standup, probably Mulaney.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
John Mulaney and Rory Scovel.

Rory is so damn funny. If you haven't, you should watch his Netflix special.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
There is none. I know a bunch of young french speaking comedians but i find none of them funny.

Salty_Josh

Oct 28, 2017
Hannibal Buress. He has near perfect delivery and makes great observations always with a good perspective on things
Mo Gilligan. My brudda sounds like he grew up down the road from me. Always full of good ideas and really an inspiration to us all. Amazing observations about a type of life and culture not many(any) comedians represent (the black London experience)

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Another for John Mulaney. I've watched each of his Netflix specials at least a half dozen times and still find it funny.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Hannibal Burress
Ron Funches
Billy Wayne Davis
Hair Kondabolu (seriously no mention in this thread!?)
Nicole Byer
Ali Wong
Tig Notaro (over 40 but bite me)
Dave Stone
Joe Zimmerman
John Mulaney
Bo
Iliza
Tommy Johnagin

If there's a name on my list you don't recognize, head to Spotify and learn about them. A lot of funny comics without Netflix specials that deserve a little extra attention (especially Tommy, BWD, Zimmerman and Stone).

Grip

Oct 26, 2017
Dan Soder, Mulaney, and Mark Normand (Normand is a little hit or miss but he's got some hilarious bits)