• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Probably Sephiroth for me!

20211010_1016087zjj4.jpg

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This topic hurts. I want a Playstation All-Stars 2 so bad! :(

Oct 28, 2017
The joke is that Smash Ultimate has become a better PSABR than the actual PSABR because it has most of the famous Playstation associated third party characters the latter game completely failed at getting, like Cloud, Sephiroth, Snake, Sora, etc

I believe it is a joke about all the Playstation associated characters appearing in smash.

And Richter is the coolest character out of that group.

auwll.jpg

Thanks boys..I thought I got announced and I missed it.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
But yeah, looking at that list, all we're really missing are RE characters, Dante (not the crappy DmC version obv), Lara Croft, Crash and Spyro (yeah yeah, Activision...) all as far as "Playstation All-Stars" are concerned. Well, the ones that are video game characters (sorry, Spidey) and aren't owned by Sony anyways.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
If Sony would allow their first-party IPs to guest-star in Smash, the new Kratos with his teleporting axe would have been dope. Maybe BOY could be his side special.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
I remember watching a tournament set at Summit a few weeks back where it was a Cloud vs. a Kazuya and found myself marvelling at how much bettter a Nintendo game has celebrated the IP's of the PS1 than Sony themselves.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Crazy that none of those characters (Joker excluded obv) made it to PSASBR despite being mainly on Sony platforms at the time.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to setting up an 8-player match with these guys, but which two stages should I pick for stage morph? Thinking maybe Shadow Moses into Midgar.

Oct 27, 2017
I get the joke, but it can't truly be PSABR2 without Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon.
Like, not having them in the actual one was tantamount to Smash not having Mario and DK lol. They are legitimately that important to PlayStation's legacy.

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
I get the joke, but it can't truly be PSABR2 without Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon.
Like, not having them in the actual one was tantamount to Smash not having Mario and DK lol. They are legitimately that important to PlayStation's legacy.
Well nintendo own mario and dk. I wouldn't want to deal with activision either.

Why we flexing on a game no one cares about anyway?

Feb 15, 2019
Honestly, I think now to 2-3 years from now is such a good time to launch another PSABR. Now that Smash Ultimate DLC has ended and they'll likely have to rethink how to proceed with Smash (considering how hard it'll be to top the "Everyone is here" thing), it gives Sony some time to take the spotlight with their game.

They also have an actual first party lineup people care about now (and hey, if that Twisted Metal show and supposedly the game does well even more so) as opposed to back in like 2012 where there really weren't that many big popular Sony first party IP except for Uncharted and God of War. At that point it had been 3 years since the Future saga of Ratchet ended so that name was kinda out of the public's eye already and most of their other first party in the game was either on ice or close to irrelevant (sorry Kat).

They also have more leeway now with third parties by proxy of just being way more popular than back in 2012 with the Ps3 and maybe won't get shafted by getting stuff like fake Dante and Raiden (nothing against you buddy, but you're no Snake). And AFAIK they didn't even have a Square representative in the game. Imagine seeing how good their relationship is now and then go back and see they couldn't even get a Square rep in their Smash clone.

Just seems like a no brainer with their investment in eSports and their revitalized first party lineup with hopefully better third party representatives too.

Oct 27, 2017
Well nintendo own mario and dk. I wouldn't want to deal with activision either.

Why we flexing on a game no one cares about anyway?
Thing is, according to anonymous SuperBot devs they did attempt to negotiate with Activision to get Crash and Spyro but their terms were "too expensive" for Sony. The terms were probably deemed "too expensive" for Sony because Sony couldn't be bothered to give a shit about PSABR or supporting SuperBot and didn't want to shell out anymore money than they needed to.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Feels a little weird seeing Hero in that lineup. I get DQVIII was PS2 exclusive once upon a time but as a franchise overall DQ is much more closely associated with Nintendo.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Calling Richter a PS All Star is a huge stretch
If PS All Stars had a Castlevania character it would have been Alucard
Crash, Spyro and Lara Croft, GTA & RE reps all still missing.

Normanski 2.0

Nov 21, 2017
So hard to choose… Cloud, Sephiroth, Snake and Sora are all very special characters to me. I'm also a big Persona 5 fan and love those characters.

in terms of Smash I'm a Cloud main but very excited to get my hands on Sora next week and trying to improve with the others. I actually think Sora's moveset will help with Joker as it encourages air combat and fighting away from the ledge, which is something that I'm very wary of when fighting as Cloud.

Oct 27, 2017
I feel bad for all the Crash/Spyro fans. Neither Playstation All-Stars nor Smash wanted those characters.

Err, no, SuperBot were absolutely gunning for Crash and Spyro; they very much understood how utterly stupid it would be to not have those two characters in their PlayStation crossover game lol. The problem for them was that Sony was generally unhelpful with the project and Activision's terms were too pricey.
There are several good deep dives about PSABR that go further into this:

I feel like as far as Crash in Smash is concerned I think TheDinoman said it best (or at least I think they said it lol), Crash was a dormant/dead IP during the Smash Ballot and fervent fan demand for the character didn't really get rolling until N. Sane hit the Switch in 2018. It was a missed window kind of thing. And as much as I love Spyro I just don't think he'd be considered for a playable slot either way.

Last edited:

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
I hope they give All-Stars 2 a shot someday.

Sony could probably make a pretty awesome Smash-like with all Spiderman characters. Maybe get some more Marvel characters like Wolverine who they currently have access to.