• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Favorite Case

• Switch

Votes: 65 28.0%
  • Blu-ray (PS3 / PS4)

Votes: 40 17.2%
  • DVD (PS2 / Xbox / Gamecube, etc)

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Jewel Case (PS1 / Dreamcast etc)

Votes: 31 13.4%
  • PC Box

Votes: 45 19.4%
  • Long Box

Votes: 12 5.2%
  • SNES / NES / GB

Votes: 21 9.1%

• Total voters

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
Switch, easily.

The cases not only have the perfect size, but they all include a reverse artwork. Sometimes it is full art, sometimes instructions, but the cases/artwork always have something inside.

SV8VLVR.jpg

ZzTdFoG.jpg

LuWJbaw.jpg

PFlbeky.jpg
Tales of Vesperia was blank white inside, I wanna say I have other games that are just blank but I can't recall any other specific examples. I do love that the clear case lends itself to more publishers putting neat art inside, though.

My vote is for PS1 jewel cases, though. Despite not necessarily being my favorite visually, I just loved that the cover art was the front of the manual and the feeling of sliding it out was something I loved back then. Bonus points for multi-disc games with a DIFFERENT art on the manual than what was on the cover.

Man, I miss instruction manuals.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Japanese GameCube boxes probably

The Switch ones are ok but seem comically oversized given the size of the games themselves. Half that height would've been less of a waste of space.

NutterB

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the jewel PlayStation cases. I think the US ones had a different style and I preferred those.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I like how PSP isn't an option, even though Switch cases are basically 3/4 thickness PSP cases with a different internal mount. I like them a lot, but CD jewel cases are going to always be my favorite for being compact and functional.

Oct 26, 2017
I guess DVD in a general... case. :P But my fav in style is Wii. Those white cases mixed with that sleek Wii banner was a genius idea by Nintendo.

I like Switch's as well, but I dunno, I think if the cases were red they'd have been far more stylish. Also doesn't help that the boxes are kind of too big considering the cart's size. Plus there's rarely anything in the boxes if your name isn't Nicalis.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I voted Switch, but I really meant PSP. It's just the perfect combination of space saving and attractive layout.

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
PC boxes.

I'm nostalgic for that era of PC gaming. Those boxes also allowed beefy manuals, which was great for complex games like flight simulators. I learned a lot about the history with the manuals for Red Baron and Aces Over The Pacific. The Sid Meir's Pirates! manual was also really cool.

I miss those days.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Uk saturn for me. Less breakable than the US equivalent and the artwork printed on the actual case.

Unfortunately a lot are torn /split now on the used market

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I love that unified design that was common from like the end of '92 on for the entire Sega library up until the Dreamcast.
Something that, oddly enough, the Game Boy line had done first -- and continued through the 3DS. (DS and 3DS cases are also great for similar reasons. Wish everything came in plastic clamshells -- something that stymies 32X, Game Gear, and some later Genesis collecting...)

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
When Sega genesis switched their marketing to the red cases.

cgc-sega-04.jpg

Last edited:

bjork

Oct 27, 2017
1. The box for Sid Meier's Pirates! on C64 that looks like a book, and has the one guy on the cover (not the action shot version)

2. Those 8-bit computer games that came in record album-sized packages and were usually gatefold

3. Suspended, which came with this creepy ass mask thing
Suspended_Mask_box.jpg

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I do miss the old big PC game boxes. Not just for the aesthetics of the boxes themselves as display items, but because they often times included cool things modern (non-collectors edition) releases don't especially as digital releases become more popular. Thick, detailed manuals with original artwork, cardboard reference sheets for keybinds and game mechanics, etc. That kind of stuff was a really cool part of the new game experience when I was a kid.

Cronogear

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Switch and PSP are my favorites. Not sure why but I like the skinnier boxes. Vita cases are also cool, but a bit small.

Genesis cases were way too big, but still somehow appealing.

Don't like the square cases of DS and 3DS, though jewel cases like PS1 and Dreamcast were alright, if too breakable.

Regular sized DVD or Blu-ray cases are boring.

Cardboard boxes suck.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Blu Ray. It just has the right amount of heft and hardness to make it feel great to display. Switch comes close, but it really fucks up my usual shelving ideas lol

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm very fond of PS1 multidisk jewel cases. Those always looked classy as hell.

ElGKhjq.jpg

You just knew you were in for some shit.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Easily jewel case. Just look at this baby.

hPQcqYP.png

Maybe a bit OT but I've always been fond of the Japanese PS1 boxes in particular. I really like that the Playstation branding is limited to the logo instead of some huge, ugly ass strip at the top/sides/bottom of the box, allowing the art to shine.

d819f1b222e86a5003da84844d58aac8.jpg

d42XK9C.jpg

completeworks-cover2.jpg

Mr_Driller_PS_Japan_cover.jpg

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
I have a love/hate for CD jewel cases. When new, they look great. The clear hard plastic acts like the glass on a picture frame and really makes the artwork pop. They are also a great size and it was nice to buy/re-purpose a CD rack to store your games. The main issues with jewel cases is they are fragile and are prone to scratches/scuffs. I also like DVD cases when they remain uniformed

Now mini rant: I hate this trend of having a uniformed standard, to then have some publisher being cute and ruining it. Take the Wii for example. I love it's simplistic white, almost Apple like case design. Then Nintendo has to ruin it with an all red New Super Mario Bros. Nintendo did it again with the Wii U. Nice, clean uniformed spines. Then here comes Luigi with his green case to screw it all up :). They continue to do the same with 3DS by now putting a red Nintendo tab at the bottom of the spine (Metroid: Samus Returns had this).

Sega was bad for this too with their clam shell cases for the Genesis. They started out with a black spine, then midway through decided "fuck it, let's make them red". Meanwhile, you have EA in the corner being all like "we do things how we like". I always felt that the Red design was the definitive case design of the Genesis, but it just irks me when I see this sea of red with a few spots of black and white throughout.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I love the Jewel Case (also didn't know it was called that, thanks OP!). The translucent plastic and smaller size are just awesome.