• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One that still gets me all pumped up is the Garuda Intro from FFXIV. Its just so good. The slow decent from the heavens as the music builds up then the banshee like screech as the music drops and then ending on the zoom in on her grinning face. It was one of the first fights in FFXIV to really get me amped up and I still love watching this intro.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I always loved Nelo Angelo's introduction in DMC1. Heck, Add Phantom and Nightmare to the list as well.
Clock Tower 3 (random choice I know) has some really awesome boss intros as well, especially for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th adversaries.

Oh, and Ryu Ga Gotoku... lots of them. Dynamic intros weren't a thing until RGG3 (sadly, as Kenzan would have head some amazing ones no doubt) but some I love loads are:

Suguichi (RGG4)

Granted there's several I could have picked from 4, but this one is classy and keeps on going right up to the point where you gain control of Tanimura. Easily one of two really good standout moments in the game for me (the second one is with Kiryu not too long after)

Takechi (Ishin)

An absolutely badass fight that starts off really awesomely. The entire fight is full of awesome QTE moments, but I just love how it starts.

Kuze (RGG0)

Yeah the second fight has a badass intro no doubt, but I prefer the raw emotion from Kiryu in this one, as well as how the music kicks in perfectly with the intro card.

And many more to mention. Judge Eyes has excellent final boss intro's (but those are spoilery so I wont list those here), RGG7 has several excellent late game intros once the legacy characters start showing up (so chapters 12 and beyond basically), Saejima fighting a bear, and most recently the final bosses from Lost Judgment (again, spoilers). Oh, and pretty much everything Hokuto Ga Gotoku did. Basically, cant go wrong with any of them in the series!

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
I just love this one because it's so damn memorable due to the curveball it throws at you.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I always loved the way 3D Zelda games introduced bosses with a big title card including a distinct subtitle.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
undertale-asgore.gif

Asgore destroying the MERCY option at the beginning of his fight in Undertale has always stuck with me.

Oct 27, 2017
I still think this is the best 3D Zelda boss intro and it 100% comes down to the subtle timing of his title card and the fact he has no epithet like every other boss

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Hyperion in Returnal. The lead up to this boss fight was nothing short of incredible for me. The growing clarity of the music, the atmosphere, climbing the tower to reach the top...and then getting that full on organ blast with an epic boss fight to boot...fuuuuck it's just perfect.

I love that they essentially built the idea & concepts for the boss first, and then built everything else around the boss.

Last edited:

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I love the lead-up to Nosk in Hollow Knight. As you explore a dark, dank cavern you start to see a little clone of yourself walking around. As you follow your little clone around you end up in its lair:

maxresdefault-567e9.jpg

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017
I love Ludwig from Bloodborne, especially with the experience of playing from the game launch. I platinumed the game before the DLC came out with Ludwig's Holy Blade. You've heard about this character for a long time and now get to see the dreadful beast he's become. You meet him in a room filled with blood with his skeleton hype man giving the introduction. It was pretty obvious it's time to get wrecked.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If it's a monster, no roaring pls. Kinda bugs me. Actual animals don't roar to intimidate their prey.

Jan 4, 2018
Gault Squadron. 'Let the Victor be Justice'

giphy.webp

Alicorn surfacing in Ace Combat 7

And Ganondorf in Twlight Princess

Last edited:

HotSauceMaven

Oct 9, 2018
The DMC and Metal Gear series are just chock full of these. Too many to count. Nelo Angelo 1 (DMC1), Vergil 1(DMC3), The Fury (MGS3), the lead up to Cyberninja (MGS1). So many "It's going down!" moments between the both of them. A few from FFXIV, as others have mentioned, take the cake too.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My favourite is easily Gill in Street Fighter III 3rd Strike.

giphy.gif

Runner up is Krizalid Phase 2 in The King of Fighters 99.

giphy.gif

OP
OP
Musubi

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always loved Nelo Angelo's introduction in DMC1. Heck, Add Phantom and Nightmare to the list as well.
Clock Tower 3 (random choice I know) has some really awesome boss intros as well, especially for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th adversaries.

Oh, and Ryu Ga Gotoku... lots of them. Dynamic intros weren't a thing until RGG3 (sadly, as Kenzan would have head some amazing ones no doubt) but some I love loads are:

Suguichi (RGG4)

Granted there's several I could have picked from 4, but this one is classy and keeps on going right up to the point where you gain control of Tanimura. Easily one of two really good standout moments in the game for me (the second one is with Kiryu not too long after)

Takechi (Ishin)

An absolutely badass fight that starts off really awesomely. The entire fight is full of awesome QTE moments, but I just love how it starts.

Kuze (RGG0)

Yeah the second fight has a badass intro no doubt, but I prefer the raw emotion from Kiryu in this one, as well as how the music kicks in perfectly with the intro card.

And many more to mention. Judge Eyes has excellent final boss intro's (but those are spoilery so I wont list those here), RGG7 has several excellent late game intros once the legacy characters start showing up (so chapters 12 and beyond basically), Saejima fighting a bear, and most recently the final bosses from Lost Judgment (again, spoilers). Oh, and pretty much everything Hokuto Ga Gotoku did. Basically, cant go wrong with any of them in the series!

Jeeze yeah its been awhile since I played it but that Kuze fight is just absolute raw emotion. Good pick.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Alma's initial revel and her Awakening reveal in Ninja Gaiden/ Black/ Sigma
The music + the slow reveal with her shadow + the shattering glass w/ delayed falling
This shit is hype af

Alma's Awakening

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017

Here it is. The answer to the thread.

"I want to gorge myself on this sense of fulfillment until I vomit" is such a great line. You could probably fill a thread on No More Heroes boss fight intros.

I always liked the intro to Bad Girl's fight. The voice actress does such a good job with her. I just love how she delivers the "You think you're hot shit. Who the fuck do you think you are?" line to Travis.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
The Wonderful 101, Operation 006-C, Vorkken's Last Stand.

Vorkken has been the rival character through the game. He has the same unlikely skills as your team, being the ability to combine into giant fits, swords and other weapons, but finally you found out how to stop him from having infinite health. You have to separate him from his ship.

So in Operation 006-C, after Vorkken has killed the boss that was supposed to be there, he challenges you once again, but this time, you manage to move the fight from his ship to yours. Which turns out to be a terrible mistake.

Because just like you have Unlimited Form for emergencies, such as boss fights, so does Vorkken. TEIO-FORM ACTIVATE!

And that's when you realize... this fight is going to be a whole lot harder than the one you just fought.

That fight has a fun quirk about it, too. In every major boss fight until this one, you will hear the song "Tables Turn" when you manage to break through and enter an advantaged state against the boss. The song is an ubeat version of the Wonderful 100's theme. For Vorkken's final fight, the music will waver between Vorkken's fight music and the Wonderful 100's fight music. Nobody ever has the upper hand, it's dead-even from start to finish.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Asgore smashing the "mercy" button is hype AF.

Bloodborne is a clinic is excellent boss fights, but I don't think many of them get good intros. They just kind of start. However, Gascoigne is an exception. When he turns around wheezes it's like, ah shit, this is going to be bad.