• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
What are some of your favorite alternate versions of songs by the original artists.

I stumbled across this slowed down version of Take on Me yesterday and it's amazing, so much better then the original version. Slowing it down and using a piano and making it more of a ballad, as opposed to a pop song and it just sounds incredible.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Yea that version of Take on Me is fantastic. I actually didn't know the words until I heard that version and it put the song in a new context for me.

Here are some acoustic versions

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Original:

My favourite alternate version is on his live album Before the Flood, but I can't find it online so this is the closest version:

The main difference between the two alternates is that second "bridge"; instead of the lyrics about trying to beat love and eating your cake & having it too it goes:

Why wait any longer?
There's no need to complain
You can have love, but you might lose it
Why run any longer
When you're running in vain?
You can have faith, but you got to choose it

Just has this mood

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
There are several alternate versions of They Might Be Giants songs I like but I want to highlight the one that least resembles the original and as such is the most interesting. A bonus track version of their 2001 song Hovering Sombrero for their 2005 children's album Here Come the ABC's.

Original:

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Oooo this reminded me!!!!!!!

The Live version of How I Got Over that the Roots did on Jimmy Fallon! I like both versions but this version is much more upbeat. The original production does fit the vibe of the song more but I still love the live version.

Oct 27, 2017

the Fiona Apple album, Extraordinary Machine, was rearranged pretty radically from the original demos, which leaked during production and are beloved (by me, anyways)

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017

I prefer the poppier bridge on the UK edit of this song.

Love this performance and I think the song sounds great stripped down like this.

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
I think I prefer the demo of 40 Days by Slowdive. The slightly slower and bit more echo/reverb does something for me. Both are amazing though so there's not much between them.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Houkago Distraction/Destruction (Omaji nai Remix):

Here's the original, it was the ending theme for Hi Score Girl (amazing anime on Netflix):

I can listen to both on repeat for days, Yakushimaru Etsuko is great.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Smashing Pumpkins:

The Beginning is the End is the Beginning
vs
The End is the Beginning of the End

the slower version is significantly better than the harder version

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
My first choice was Lucky Boys Confusion's two versions of "Fred Astaire." But I can only find the second version, so for another Illinoisan band--Fall Out Boy--they have a few that spring to mind.

"Nobody Puts Baby in the Corner" from My Heart Will Always Be the B-Side to My Tongue.

"Nobody Puts Baby in the Corner" from From Under the Cork Tree.

I grabbed a copy of the My Heart EP a long time ago from a Tower Records when I was in New Orleans and that version of "Nobody Puts Baby in the Corner" is my absolute favorite version.

There's also a version of "Calm Before the Storm" on Evening Out With Your Girlfriend and Take This to Your Grave. Patrick Stump's vocals are way improved in the second version.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Original:

My favourite alternate version is on his live album Before the Flood, but I can't find it online so this is the closest version:

The main difference between the two alternates is that second "bridge"; instead of the lyrics about trying to beat love and eating your cake & having it too it goes:

Why wait any longer?
Why run any longer

Just has this mood

off topic but I looove Nashville Skyline. Need to listen to it tomorrow.

Eegah

Oct 27, 2017
Blind Melon - No Rain

Original:

Ripped Away Version:

Then there's the combo that they used to play for live shows:

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Rise Against RPM10

rise-against-rpm10.jpg

Most of the demo stuff included I like more than their final versions

Last Chance Blueprint

Voices Off Camera

Heaven Knows

Oct 25, 2017
My daughter and I fell in love with this acoustic version of Frank Turner's There She Is:

When we got the album it's from, we were horrified by the studio version, immediately bought the acoustic single, and edited it to the album playlist to replace the album version.

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
I still vividly remember and absolutely love seeing Linkin Park at Jones beach for Project Revolution with HIM and MSI.

The reason I remember it is that they placed a piano version of breaking the habit that is by far my favorite version of it.

it's so fucking good

edit: wrong version, this starts around 0:50

Apr 11, 2020
I feel like Björk is the one artist who is constantly doing this for me. She'll put out an album, and then fully realize the sophistication of her own song with a new musical palette while on tour. It then gets even better when she re-envisions old songs with the sounds of a new album.

One of my favourites amongst these is 'Enjoy', from her album 'Post'. You can clearly hear the influences from Tricky in the original version, confounded with all of its other makings:

By the time we get to the tour, she has completely stripped the song back to intensify its emotional direction, and play to the London underground crowds with its industrial ambience turned up to feature seamlessly with its trip-hop foundations. Her vocals on show here are also something else.

In more recent times, Björk surprised her fans in a big way during the Vulnicura tour with a new rendition of her debut album song, 'Come To Me', which she hadn't played live for over a decade.

While the original composition playfully lulled the listener to her impulses to nurture through a variety of intense lyrics that were dissonant to the scattered jazz band influences and haunting ambient whooing, it was the drawing out the ambient exotica and lethal strings of the track, combined with impactful production influenced by her work with Arca and Haxan Cloak that really piqued people's attention on the new version. Here, she transformed the track as a woman in command, and fully aware of her own power, this time purposefully sure of the seduction that is taking place, and the importance of that union. It was made especially fitting on a tour deeply influenced by the dissolution of her partnership with Matthew Barney (Vulnicura come to be known as *the* heartbreak album), cleverly woven amongst a setlist illustrating how the variations of our relationships are mirrored in many parts of the natural world, and what gaining your autonomy looks like after co-dependence and feeling broken.

Last edited:

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
ctrl+f "wuthering heights" - 0 results
I am disappoint

I still prefer the original, which is probably in my top 3 favorite songs of all time, but still, her new version was good and had that 80s sound

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Rise Against - Audience Of One (Ghost Note Symphonies)
www.youtube.com

Audience Of One (Ghost Note Symphonies)

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupAudience Of One (Ghost Note Symphonies) · Rise AgainstThe Ghost Note Symphonies, Vol.1℗ Virgin Records; ℗ 2018 UM...
The original:
www.youtube.com

Rise Against - Audience Of One (Official Video)

Music video by Rise Against performing Audience Of One. (C) 2008 DGC/Interscope Records#RiseAgainst #AudienceOfOne #Vevo

Johnny Cash - Folsom Prison Blues (Live at Folsom State Prison)
www.youtube.com

Folsom Prison Blues (Live at Folsom State Prison, Folsom, CA - January 1968)

Provided to YouTube by Columbia/LegacyFolsom Prison Blues (Live at Folsom State Prison, Folsom, CA - January 1968) · Johnny CashAt Folsom Prison℗ Originally ...
The original:
www.youtube.com

Folsom Prison Blues

Provided to YouTube by The Orchard EnterprisesFolsom Prison Blues · Johnny CashWalk the Line (disc one)℗ 1955 Sun℗ 2006 Charly RecordsReleased on: 2006-02-02...

Dream Wife - F.U.U (Single Version)
www.youtube.com

FUU

Provided to YouTube by Redeye WorldwideFUU · Dream Wife · Fever DreamFUU℗ 2016 Lucky Number Music LimitedReleased on: 2016-10-28Main Artist: Dream WifeFeatu...
The album version:
www.youtube.com

Dream Wife - F.U.U. (feat. Fever Dream)

For More Dream Pop/Shoegaze: http://bit.ly/ShoegazingChannelhttps://dreamwife.bandcamp.com*No copyright infringement intended*

Oct 25, 2017
Original:

Why wait any longer?
Why run any longer

Just has this mood

You could do an entire thread or blog on just Dylan song evolutions and changes.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I was never a Lady GaGa fan until I saw this years ago. She kills it.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite John Cale songs is a quicker piano reworking of an 80s song he did, Dying on the Vine. The cool version is the second video.

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX
Cubis by bis, the original was alright (after the long intro), but the newer rendition is a banger IMO.

Original:

New:

Oct 25, 2017
my favourite is one too many mornings:

www.youtube.com

Bob Dylan - One Too Many Mornings

I don't claim ownership over this video or audio.

I was going to post that one. The evolution from Times to the electric performances, the honky tonkish of the self portrait and then to the hard rain you posted. Just phenomenal and i do prefer the rolling thunder versions of those 60s songs, particularly hard rain itself.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
I adore, *adore*, the calmy version of Thunder Road. The regular rocky version is great, but this moves the song to another level.

Nov 26, 2017
Really like when band do acoustic cover of their own songs like
Bullet for my valentine- Tears Don't Fall

Or Silverstein My Heroine or Call it Karma