• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Apr 24, 2018
I really like hearing the 8 bit version of this track, though admittedly I prefer the music in the SNES/Genesis versions of the game.

Is this track in another Ys game? I swear I've heard this song a few different times but with a more modern arrangement, but I don't recall ever hearing any music from the first couple of Ys games. Also, would never have guessed that Yuzo Koshiro wrote the track; the first track you posted is much more the style of music I'm used to hearing from him.

Steak

Oct 27, 2017

It's the C64 robocop title theme. I first learned about it from the GDQ intermission playlist, but they use the gameboy version, which I don't think is as good as this.

DECK’ARD

Creator of Worms
Verified
Nov 26, 2017
UK
This by far. I stopped the game loading just to listen to it more:

Ron Hubbard was a genius with the C64's SID chip.

Runners-up:

Last edited:

Hellfire

May 26, 2019
Hitoshi Sakimoto

It's actually hard to find stuff that he actually worked on because he wrote a sound driver that other people used to very good effect.

The left and right channel stuff at 1:50 is pretty nuts for an 8-bit system. The left channel effect sounds like a bio monster or something.

Full Soundtrack

Is this track in another Ys game? I swear I've heard this song a few different times but with a more modern arrangement, but I don't recall ever hearing any music from the first couple of Ys games. Also, would never have guessed that Yuzo Koshiro wrote the track; the first track you posted is much more the style of music I'm used to hearing from him.
First Step Towards Wars is in practically every Ys game.

Ys1 OST
Ys2 OST

daCuk

Oct 27, 2017
Costa Rica
Most have been mentioned already, but my NES favorites are: Mega Man II, Mega Man III, Batman, Ninja Gaiden, Journey to Silius, Castlevania III.

The Game Boy version of Ninja Gaiden is great too:

I also have a soft spot for Magician's title theme:

Now that you mention Ninja Gaiden, this game from Tecmo also has awesome music (most probably from the same composers):

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I could swear it was a little slower, but for me it's this masterpiece:

Sunset Park act 3 from Sonic Triple Trouble

Syringe

Oct 28, 2017
No one seems to have posted Life Force yet - so allow me. I would happily share almost every single tune from this game, but let me highlight the second stage especially <3

Hellfire

May 26, 2019
The X68000 version is amazing, but the original is still pretty good. This is an example of a game that used Hitoshi Sakimoto's sound driver, but that he didn't work on.

The MegaDrive/Genesis version sounds the best, but the original is still great.

RPTGB

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Tim Follin did this on a machine without any sound hardware except for a beeper speaker. Utter genius.

Jun 7, 2018
Tim Follin did this on a machine without any sound hardware except for a beeper speaker. Utter genius.

I'm probably guilty of posting it in nearly every thread of this ilk but his Spectrum beeper track for Chronos is amazing too.

edit: Just for contrast, here's the basic single-tone, monophonic sound that the ZX Spectrum beeper was technically supposed to be limited to. Unless you're Tim Follin or a time-travelling wizard.

Last edited:

Bing-Bong

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
I could listen to this for hours:

that was like one of the greatest gbc games for me, listening to music from games you played ages ago gets you so nostalgic.

Interested in finding more great 8 bit tracks from games.

You did it: I'm on my way to replay both GBC Harry Potter games again. Nostalgia hits me hard with these two.

Also, i'll post this one:

Apr 24, 2018
I may or may not have spent the past 30 minutes bopping my head to Stage 1/Stage 3 of Journey to Silius. What incredible tunes!

Hitoshi Sakimoto

It's actually hard to find stuff that he actually worked on because he wrote a sound driver that other people used to very good effect.

The left and right channel stuff at 1:50 is pretty nuts for an 8-bit system. The left channel effect sounds like a bio monster or something.

Full Soundtrack

First Step Towards Wars is in practically every Ys game.

Ys1 OST
Ys2 OST

Thanks! I've only played Ys 8, but I've listened to a bunch of Falcom JDK music from some of their more recent games.

Hellfire

May 26, 2019
Thanks! I've only played Ys 8, but I've listened to a bunch of Falcom JDK music from some of their more recent games.
It blows me away that Falcom is still putting on concerts. They actually played two tracks originally from Ys 1 at last years Tokyo Game Show, First Step Toward Wars (which I uploaded earlier) and To Make the End of Battle. They where playing at the Konami booth last year because poverty, but they where still there.

The other Ys1 track they played.

They played a vocal track based off of Sortie from Star Trader (their RPG/Shooter or SHMUP hybrid).

Last edited:

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Agree mostly, it's one of the few tracks where I think the NES version works well because it's a bit punchier, though it's a lot more "empty" at the same time. I still prefer the FC version but the NES one is actually still good.

Still one of the best CV tracks for me ever, and it's on the goddamned Game Boy.

Yeah, I can see how you say it's empty. I guess the NES version sounds a lot more "hollow," but I really like the beginning lol, and the FC version almost sounds slightly muted for some reason. If that part with the little ditty was just a little louder, I'd definitely favor the Famicom version, because basically the rest of the song just sounds way more layered and "livelier."

Sorry, I don't really know music terms lol. Also, "livelier" is a strange word to use for a song in a game about a vampires, but I'm leaving it.

I do like that particular Castlevania Game Boy song . I guess I don't think of the Game Boy games much because I didn't really like the first Game Boy game (or its soundtrack) so I never even gave the second game a chance.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Besides Mega Man, most of my favorite 8-bit tunes come from Game Boy (Color) games.