• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's your favorite 3D Mario game?

• Super Mario 64

Votes: 56 23.8%
  • Super Mario Sunshine

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • Super Mario Galaxy

Votes: 47 20.0%
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2

Votes: 42 17.9%
  • Super Mario 3D Land

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • Super Mario 3D World

Votes: 41 17.4%
  • Super Mario Odyssey

Votes: 31 13.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
There are 7 3D Mario games, and Era allows 7 poll options. Perfect. Which is your favorite 3D Mario game?

For me, it's gotta be Mario 3D World. I feel it is so underrated and forgotten by many because it was on the Wii U. But the multiplayer aspect puts it over the top for me. It's the only 3D Mario game to have the full multilplayer experience, and I think the levels are so creative and fun. I also love the cat Mario suit, and the game is just gorgeous. Amazing soundtrack too.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I love them all outside of 3D World. I just... Don't like that game.

Suppose 64 is my favourite.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
Super Mario Galaxy 2 is, to this day, the best platformer I've ever played in my life

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Odyssey is my favourite, it doesn't have the most balanced difficulty but the variety of the worlds and different transformations make it the most fun and replayable for me.

Galaxy 2 I loved at the time but for me it kind of blurs together with 3D Land and 3D world now.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Galaxy by an absolute landslide lol. I'm not a huge Mario fan, but that's one of my favourite gaes dver.
I've not played Sunshine, but for the order of favourite to least I'd go:
  • Galaxy
  • 3D Land
  • Galaxy 2
  • 3D World
  • Odyssey
With Galaxy and 3D Land being notably higher than the rest, and Galaxy 2 and 3D World being kinda equal in their 'feel like well designed level packs that lack what made the original special'.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
www.resetera.com

POLL: What 3D Mario game is the best in the series?

I hope the rumors of remakes or remasters for all these games is true as I’d love to be able to finally enjoy the Galaxy games as everyone else does. I enjoy good motion controls but nothing bothers me more than tacked on or frankly unnecessary motion controls but also there’s something about...

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
My favorite is 3D World.

2D Mario fun in 3D.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
it's gotta be Odyssey

edit: of the ones I've played
1. Odyssey
2. 3D World
3. 3D Land
4. Galaxy

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
1. Galaxy
2. Galaxy 2
3. Odyssey
4. Sunshine
5. 3D Land
6. 64
7. 3D World

Galaxy 2 is the better game but I have much fonder memories for the original.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31923

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
www.resetera.com

I hope the rumors of remakes or remasters for all these games is true as I’d love to be able to finally enjoy the Galaxy games as everyone else does. I enjoy good motion controls but nothing bothers me more than tacked on or frankly unnecessary motion controls but also there’s something about...

Oh man, I missed that. I even tried to do a search if there were recent threads like this, but didn't see that one.

GabriocheXD

May 27, 2019
I could only choose 1, but for me the choice was still pretty easy. 3d Mario World gave me the most joy of them all. Playing through the whole game with my girlfriend was awesome.

So my order would be : 3d World > Galaxy 2 > Galaxy 1 > 3d Land > Sunshine > 64 > Odyssey. They're all great games though.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Despite Galaxy 2 being the superior game, I have very fond memories of the first Galaxy. There's something in it that makes it more magical, more unique. It's one of my favorite games of all time.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I've tried most of them and Sunshine is the only one that I was compelled enough to finish, so that.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
I swear we had this poll last week.

Anyway, my order would be Galaxy>Galaxy 2>64=3D World>(big gap)>Sunshine>3D Land>(bigger gap)>Odyssey

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Galaxy for me I feel. It was really the first Mario game since SMB3 and SMW to really feel like something special to me.
I mean I loved the leap to the N64 with SM64, and that will always be a mind blowing memory, but Galaxy just feels really special to me for some reason.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Despite Galaxy 2 being the superior game, I have very fond memories of the first Galaxy. There's something in it that makes it more magical, more unique. It's one of my favorite games of all time.
Galaxy 2 has better difficulty and more complex obstacles, but I rather pick the more memorable game. To me that was Odyssey. I remember every bit.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Galaxy 2 is the pinnacle of what a 3D Mario game should be, to me.

64 and Odyssey are slightly different and more open but I prefer the linearity and focus of the Galaxy games. Galaxy 2 took what was great about 1 and basically perfected it.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Level design, in order from best to worst:
Galaxy 2, World, Land, Galaxy 1, 64, Odyssey, Sunshine.
There's a large gap between the top 4 and the bottom 3. Very tiny gaps between the individual games of the top 4.

Controls, in order from best to worst:
Odyssey, Sunshine, Galaxy 1&2, Land, World, 64.
Massive gap between Odyssey and Sunshine.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
3D World. Man, what an awesome game. It feels like the most natural extension of Super Mario World, which was my favorite game as a child. Don't get me wrong, I love the more "open-ended" 3D Marios (64 and Odyssey) and of course I love the novelty of the Galaxy games, but 3D World hit like a great sweet spot of familiarity and novelty for me that just kept it rolling. The pace of new things in that game is incredible. And it's the most fun I've ever had playing co-op.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Definitely Super Mario 3D World and Sunshine. Sunshine is just so different and 3D World is so plasticine and jazzy, just great games.

Deleted member 59

Close call between Super Mario 64 and Super Mario 3D world for me. I can't wait to replay the former later this year (if the rumours are true)

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SSS tier: Galaxy, 3D World, and Galaxy 2
S tier: 64, Sunshine
A tier: Odyssey, 3D Land

Galaxy edges it out because of its embrace of the sublime qualities of outer space which give it the most unique, and best for my money, overall vibe. Sunshine over Odyssey because Sunshine fully embraces its unique mechanics rather than largely designing around them.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love SM64 and SMG about equally, but objectively Galaxy is the better game.

Haven't played SM3DW, excited for the remaster.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Ugh this is a hard one. In no particular order:

64--this is something you had to be there at the time for, seeing Super Mario in 3D for the first time was nothing short of magical.
Galaxy--played this for hours on release. Never experienced Mario in such a grandiose, triumphant fashion as this game. I should really try the sequel someday.
3D World--was initially disappointed when it was first revealed, but this charmer is the definitive multi-player Mario experience, to date. Also, dat soundtrack.
Odyssey--legitimately made me feel 6 years old again.

3D Land, while not my favorite, gets an honorable placement, for being the right game for me at the right time, while I was in prison (wasn't really in prison, but religious university is close enough). The only way I'm re-visiting Sunshine is if a re-release gets rid of the inverted camera controls.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
It's interesting how if you ask people to choose between Galaxy 1 and 2 by themselves 2 always wins, but in polls like these Galaxy 1 usually does substantially better.

Us Galaxy 1 bros are apparently ride-or-die fans while all the wishy-washy Galaxy 2 COWARDS split their vote with the other games.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
Galaxy >/= Galaxy 2 > 64 > Odyssey > 3D World > Sunshine > 3D Land

Really glad we will have all/almost all of them on Switch finally. I strongly prefer 3D Mario to 2D it turns out.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like the simplicity of Mario 64 the most, which lends itself to a more enjoyable experience for me. Granted I haven't played most of the titles in the poll, but I have watched a lot of speedruns/walkthroughs. I also own Super Mario Odyssey. I have to say that the most recent installments since the Wii are much busier and environmentally fleshed out, which, in an odd way, dampens the experience for me. This is why Mario 64 is so good to me.

JayCeeJim

Jan 3, 2019
I definitely don't like the open-world Marios as much as the linear ones. In fact I haven't played Sunshine nor Odyssey for lack of interest.

The king of the rest is undoubtedly Super Mario 3D World, though all the others are masterpieces as well.

Gold Link

Apr 24, 2018
favorite one is always the thing that I recently played, and that's Odyssey for me. I'm playing this now. Fantastic design. (the rule is not applied to Sunshine sadly.)

Joedev

Apr 24, 2018
I played the entirety of 3D World co-op with my wife and it is one of my top gaming memories. Odyssey isn't that far behind.

Homura

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 20, 2019
Galaxy 2 is one of the best games of all time.
I would literally buy a straight port of the Wii version for Switch for 60$.

Amnixia

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Odyssey > Galaxy 1 > Galaxy 2 > 3D World > Sunshine > 64

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Galaxy is just such magical, creative experience, it has to be that. Galaxy 2 and 64 close second/third.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Why do we need this exact same poll again?

www.resetera.com

Over so many decades I've seen countless arguments among Mario fans as to what they value most in a 3D Mario game and which game(s) reflect those qualities most strongly. Some people prefer sandboxes while others like a more direct, linear design. Some want hub worlds between missions while...

New002

Oct 25, 2017
3D World. It's what I want out of a 3D Mario Game. Basically a 2D Mario game in a 3D space.

theosmeo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
at this point 64, it has the combination of the best movement and options with the strongest levels and level design

when i was younger it was sunshine because fludd was so fun, even now i think sunshine mario controls a little better than 64 mario but the level design isnt amazing

right when odyssey came out i gave it to that game, still love odyssey but my opinion on both the level design and the control has soured. odyssey using the stiff jumps of galaxy and not keeping your momentum in a dive is very meh to me

for the other titles its not even close, 3d world and galaxy arent bad games but they arent interesting to me

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Depending on the day it's Galaxy 2 or 3D World. Galaxy 2 has higher highs than 3D World, but also much lower lows. 3D World is consistently fun for every level, but its levels don't really have as much personality as Galaxy 2's can sometimes have. Both are like 8.5 for me.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting. Odyssey has the best controls, graphics, and level structure, but it still ranks near the bottom for me, above only Sunshine.

Glad to see the Galaxy style is #1!

Status
Not open for further replies.