• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
As long as people can fly without serious motives the situation won't be under control until both countries have it under control. I can't drive to New York, but I can fly to it willy-nilly (I don't).

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, Canada fucked this up just as bad as the US?

I didn't think that was possible.

That's the only way what Fauci is saying makes any sense lol
Like some parts of Europe, Our cases are much lower per capita but it's like saying one house fire is smaller than another, it's all the same. Without a vaccinated population and herd immunity we are in the same place.

In any case Ontario and Quebec has its share of anti maskers and people lying about their exposure . Cases have been persistently very high over Thanksgiving, Christmas and into new year. We certainly can't be that proud of ourselves

Mar 3, 2018
Here you've got a epidemiologist and public health expert, someone who has spent decades working on infectious diseases and has been at the forefront of all things covid from the beginning, offering a timetable on vaccinations and a return to normalcy. And then a handful of people ITT, with neither that experience or qualifications, going "actually, it'll be another year or two after that." It reminds me of how many people here last spring/summer were absolutely adamant that we wouldn't even have a vaccine *made* for years, much less start administering one by the end of 2020 (something that Fauci was also publicly insistent on and that many here doubted).

Think I'll side with the actual doctor on this.

Eh, I respect Faucci, but there's the whole factor of people refusing to take vaccines. You already have multiple instances of healthcare workers refusing to take the vaccine. I think that's why people are doubting the timeline and think it will take longer. But I'm hoping that's not the case and everything happens smoothly and without hiccups. Personally I don't expect things to be normal until winter 2021 or 2022. My main reasoning is as soon civilian vaccinations take off in spring, people will start acting dumb even after their first dose, or just thinking everything's safe since others are being vaccinated. We have barely vaccinated anyone and folk are already ignoring rules and we in the thousands of daily cases. No one gives a shit anymore.

Oct 25, 2017
It's normal here.

I ordered to go at a local BBQ place Saturday. In chicago area there is no indoor dining. And it's freezing out. Decided to support a local place even though it's pricey.
I walk in to pick it up there are 15 people at the bar (maskless, drinking) and almost every table was full of people (maskless eating)
I was shocked and appalled. Why can't these morons just follow the rules ugggggggggg

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Here you've got a epidemiologist and public health expert, someone who has spent decades working on infectious diseases and has been at the forefront of all things covid from the beginning, offering a timetable on vaccinations and a return to normalcy. And then a handful of people ITT, with neither that experience or qualifications, going "actually, it'll be another year or two after that." It reminds me of how many people here last spring/summer were absolutely adamant that we wouldn't even have a vaccine *made* for years, much less start administering one by the end of 2020 (something that Fauci was also publicly insistent on and that many here doubted).

Think I'll side with the actual doctor on this.

Thank you.This is spot on and peole need to listen to the scientists and stop making stuff up.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pretty much, but this has been the case for a while now. Where are we at in deaths, 300k+ now? A lot of people never gave a shit about it here and those that have taken this serious since March are experiencing some very real fatigue over it. Combine all of that with the vaccines being out there and more competent leadership via Biden Admin and I see this story moving more and more to the background as the weather warms up and people get back outside doing stuff.

Will there be massive conventions and concerts? Probably not. But outdoor sports, smaller food / music festivals, all those different events that canceled last year will be yearning to get back to business again and Americans will be happy to oblige. That's my opinion, at least.

We have just passed 400k deaths unfortunately. And it still doesn't seem enough for many of us.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
OP, can you correct to title?

"same time as Canada" and "any earlier than Canadian officials are aiming for" is not the same.

He literally says it won't happen in the US earlier than what Canada is aiming for. In other words, in a best case scenario it might be at the same time but probably not. It's a very cautious way of saying "we will most likely return to some degreee of normalcy after Canada does".

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
People doubting Fauci really seems misguided. Even if the US shit the bed on pandemic response, vaccine rollout is still going to be similar between the two countries. Even if you have a lot of anti-vax people that shouldn't become a massive limiting factor in uptake until you hit greater than 50%. If you are at 40-50% vaccination you are going to see a marked drop off in the major factors that cause all these emergency meassures.

The only things stopping the timelines from being similar is massive shortage to meet the numbers or poor uptake. But the uptake shouldn't become a problem until it is available to the general public and I don't expect it to be that poor.

XenodudeX

Oct 25, 2017
Jacksonville, Florida
It's normal here.

I ordered to go at a local BBQ place Saturday. In chicago area there is no indoor dining. And it's freezing out. Decided to support a local place even though it's pricey.
I walk in to pick it up there are 15 people at the bar (maskless, drinking) and almost every table was full of people (maskless eating)
I was shocked and appalled. Why can't these morons just follow the rules ugggggggggg
I mean, you can't eat and drink with a mask on..

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Fall 2021 sounds about right and is what I predicted in an earlier thread. They're making a big push to reopen schools this year so it makes sense. No way this drags until 2023 like some here are saying.

If they do the bolded part this shit will go on for a lot longer in a never ending circle.

It seems like I could write "we're at the absolute peak of Corona currently" for the last 2 f'n months and while it gets worse and worse people plan to get back to normal again, like how f'n stupid can countries be?

People must be insane to think we're back at normal at late summer 2021 or fall. And I'm not even thinking about America here, I'm in Europe and this seems crazy, but America? Oh boy, you can put a year on top of everyone else.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
My main concern is getting my kids back into school. I'm praying that's relatively safe in the fall, because goddamn these last 5 months homeschooling with my wife and juggling both our jobs with 3 kids has been a fucking nightmare of hellish proportions.

Zeshakag

Oct 28, 2017
If they do the bolded part this shit will go on for a lot longer in a never ending circle.

It seems like I could write "we're at the absolute peak of Corona currently" for the last 2 f'n months and while it gets worse and worse people plan to get back to normal again, like how f'n stupid can countries be?

People must be insane to think we're back at normal at late summer 2021 or fall. And I'm not even thinking about America here, I'm in Europe and this seems crazy, but America? Oh boy, you can put a year on top of everyone else.

Well, we're kind of shitting the bed in terms of vaccination distribution and we are still close to 1 million administered doses per day. Combined with new mass vacc sites opening every day, plus the incoming administration, It's slightly optimistic but not insane to think everyone who desires to be vaccinated will be by September.

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My main concern is getting my kids back into school. I'm praying that's relatively safe in the fall, because goddamn these last 5 months homeschooling with my wife and juggling both our jobs with 3 kids has been a fucking nightmare of hellish proportions.
Opening up the schools seems like a bad idea, but I guess Fauci is right despite me doubting him this time.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I respect Faucci, but there's the whole factor of people refusing to take vaccines. You already have multiple instances of healthcare workers refusing to take the vaccine. I think that's why people are doubting the timeline and think it will take longer. But I'm hoping that's not the case and everything happens smoothly and without hiccups. Personally I don't expect things to be normal until winter 2021 or 2022. My main reasoning is as soon civilian vaccinations take off in spring, people will start acting dumb even after their first dose, or just thinking everything's safe since others are being vaccinated. We have barely vaccinated anyone and folk are already ignoring rules and we in the thousands of daily cases. No one gives a shit anymore.
Don't you think Fauci is aware of this though? If you and I know about people not taking vaccines, not wearing masks, not giving a shit about the most basic guidelines -- shouldn't we assume he is aware of this too, and has already baked that into estimates? And more than that, has access to more information, more modeling, and just generally more expertise on vaccination administration and transmission and return-to-normalcy timetables? Like I said, Fauci was the one who, last summer, predicted the first vaccinations could begin December 2020 (which they did) at the same time that people here, with no background or expertise in any of this, were insisting vaccines were at least 1-2 years away. My point is, everything that we know Fauci also already knows, and more. I don't think an estimate of "some degree of normalcy by this fall and winter" is based on overly rosy predictions of how vaccines are either administered or accepted by people.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Opening up the schools seems like a bad idea, but I guess Fauci is right despite me doubting him this time.
Schools have been open here in Florida for a while, but I haven't felt comfortable putting my son back in the classroom, even though they say they wear masks and social distance, etc. I don't trust elementary school kids lol.

Hoping by August it'll be relatively safe.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
OP seems to think most Americans are Neanderthals. Maybe I'm being overly-optimistic, but I think the combination of sane leadership and more and more people knowing relatives/friends/coworkers who have been vaccinated without problems will help ease worries.