• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
img01.png

Man, where do I begin? So Fatalis dropped for Monster Hunter World: Iceborne Wednesday night, and he's been something else. Alatreon was already a tough boss fight (mostly due to its elemental DPS check and varied moveset), but Fatalis is just brutal on every level. His moves will 2-shot you even on the toughest of equipment, he hits fast and with a ton of range, and to tie everything together - he has the highest base-HP of anything in the game at 66k, with only a 30-minute time limit, meaning that you have to constantly be dealing damage or you'll time out, even if you don't eat too many faints. Despite all of that, it's without any doubt the hypest fight in the entire game, and it's clear that Capcom really put their all into the encounter.

First off - the music. Good lord, the music!

I know that Monster Hunter World has had inconsistent remixes for returning monsters, but man did they nail both Alatreon and now Fatalis. Even better, we get *2* tracks as the fight has multiple phases to it.

It perfectly accentuates just how ferocious, how dangerous, how exhilarating the fight is! It's perfect pacing for how the fight escalates as you get closer and closer to the end, and then right when you're a decent chunk into the 3rd phase, and the dragonator spawns, you hit him with it and man the nostalgia hits instantly.

...nostalgia that hit even harder once I killed him, but I'll save that surprise for folks to find for themselves.

I think my favorite little detail about the fight, is how you go from hiding in a nook to avoid his nova, to actively putting up a barricade, to rushing through the nova towards him in order to survive the 3rd time onward. The fight's momentum, where it starts to feel like you're slowly overcoming him is just unmatched, and everything from the visuals, to the mechanics, to the music helps tie it together. Capcom wants the fight to hype you up, and boy did they deliver. Just watch the aerial view of his ultimate attack - the sheer spectacle on display is something else.

Just an incredible culmination and send-off for a game that has devoured over 1k hours of my life. Anyone else feel the same way?

Annie85x

Mar 12, 2020
I personally didn't enjoy the Alatreon fight (didn't like the elemental stuff) but finding Fatalis to be such an epic all out fight against a massive bad ass dragon. Hes destroying me, but every fight I'm getting closer and its just a blast .

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Dude's overtuned as hell lol At this point is Capcom just yolo'ing around.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
I'm debating my self should I sub for a month for him and Alatreon or not. Really wanna fight him with a group before the game completely dies.

mace999

Dec 7, 2017
I watched 'Fightin Cowboy' defeat it. It took him 17 hours :o. He finally did it in duos. It was very entertaining

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm debating my self should I sub for a month for him and Alatreon or not. Really wanna fight him with a group before the game completely dies.
I doubt the game will truly die before the next one comes out. People are still playing 3U and 4U online, after all.

With Behemoth at least, there was a nice sweet spot between the release period (where every random party contains multiple unprepared scrappies throwing themselves at the exciting new difficult monster to be easily destroyed) and the "too late" period (where everyone's already moved on to the Hot New Thing and you have to actively look for people to join you).

I suspect the sweet spot for Fatalis will last longer though, if only because it's the last DLC, so World won't have a next Hot New Thing for a long time.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
It has the combination of two things I absolutely hate: bullshit hitboxes and insane damage.

JumbiePrime

Feb 16, 2019
Bklyn
Watching Maximilian get timer schemed by him for the past 2 nights has been very entertaining...and also made it safe for me to uninstall it cause screw that shit ..lol

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I spent weeks trying to find the right group to farm Alatreon I thought I could rest before Fatalis but now they're just laughing at me with his "another Alatreon has been sighted" I just wanna fight Fatalis, not this Alatreon loser again.

OP
OP
Theswweet

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I spent weeks trying to find the right group to farm Alatreon I thought I could rest before Fatalis but now they're just laughing at me with his "another Alatreon has been sighted" I just wanna fight Fatalis, not this Alatreon loser again.

The Alatreon before Fatalis is a joke, with 1/4th the HP. You can just go in with raw weapons and it'll drop dead after the first Escaton Judgment.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's certainly an adrenaline rush with you first kill. Though at this point with SA it feels like the main strategy is just alternate between temporal and rocksteady and ZSD the face constantly. At least the fight keeps you on your toes cause a single screw up is practically a guaranteed cart.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
img01.png

Man, where do I begin? So Fatalis dropped for Monster Hunter World: Iceborne Wednesday night, and he's been something else. Alatreon was already a tough boss fight (mostly due to its elemental DPS check and varied moveset), but Fatalis is just brutal on every level. His moves will 2-shot you even on the toughest of equipment, he hits fast and with a ton of range, and to tie everything together - he has the highest base-HP of anything in the game at 66k, with only a 30-minute time limit, meaning that you have to constantly be dealing damage or you'll time out, even if you don't eat too many faints. Despite all of that, it's without any doubt the hypest fight in the entire game, and it's clear that Capcom really put their all into the encounter.

First off - the music. Good lord, the music!

I know that Monster Hunter World has had inconsistent remixes for returning monsters, but man did they nail both Alatreon and now Fatalis. Even better, we get *2* tracks as the fight has multiple phases to it.

It perfectly accentuates just how ferocious, how dangerous, how exhilarating the fight is! It's perfect pacing for how the fight escalates as you get closer and closer to the end, and then right when you're a decent chunk into the 3rd phase, and the dragonator spawns, you hit him with it and man the nostalgia hits instantly.

...nostalgia that hit even harder once I killed him, but I'll save that surprise for folks to find for themselves.

I think my favorite little detail about the fight, is how you go from hiding in a nook to avoid his nova, to actively putting up a barricade, to rushing through the nova towards him in order to survive the 3rd time onward. The fight's momentum, where it starts to feel like you're slowly overcoming him is just unmatched, and everything from the visuals, to the mechanics, to the music helps tie it together. Capcom wants the fight to hype you up, and boy did they deliver. Just watch the aerial view of his ultimate attack - the sheer spectacle on display is something else.

Just an incredible culmination and send-off for a game that has devoured over 1k hours of my life. Anyone else feel the same way?

It takes 1,000 hrs before you reach this boss? Or that's when you just decided to fight him

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

You need 5 mins and you're done with that particular Alatreon

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It has the combination of two things I absolutely hate: bullshit hitboxes and insane damage.

Honestly, it's weird that this broken ass hitboxes are not more talked about in the community. Seems like it's fine because Fatalis always had weird hitboxes? But I don't understand why that matters, games should improve with time.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
I spent 4 hours yesterday before my first solo kill (27min). Its harder imo than past games as the DPS check is tight. If you don't break the head before phase 2 every breath attack 1 shots even in maxed out endgame gear and multiple stacks of fortify.

Sarevok

Jul 13, 2020
Being super casual Monster Hunter this just makes me sad :(
I really don't have time to git gud and I love the thrill of the hunt.

Oct 26, 2017
Do I wait for ps5 or just buy iceborne on PC, i cant take the ps4 loading times no more. I've got an RTX 2070 super, so I gotta assume performance will be similar?

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I still haven't cleared him and don't actually know how close I've gotten because I haven't seen any youtuber/streamer clear him yet either. Everytime I think I'm close it seems like there's another stage. Just saw Max's last solo effort and I think he was close as fuck but who can tell.

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
What an epic fight. This is the first time basic bitchass grey Fatalis is as scary and hard as his lore implies. This revamp far exceeded my expectations. Bravo, Capcom!

Took me and a buddy 4 tries to beat him once. We almost had him in our first try but I messed up and took the last 2 carts in the last phase. Gonna hop back in to craft armor and most of the weapons later.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
How hard is he compared to Fatalis in the other games? He's always been pretty tough.
Event Old Fatalis and Event Crimson Fatalis are basically 1HKOs in MHGU.

After Ahtal Ka he still kinda boring

Agreed, I've never really enjoyed fighting the elder dragons for the most part. Ahtal Ka is absolutely the peak of "final boss" in Monster Hunter and I hope we see it again some day.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the reminder, OP. I was wondering where this would be available.

I Just tried a few of the Alatreon special assignments and still amazed at how easily people are carting, maybe everyone is just out of practice right now.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Thanks for the reminder, OP. I was wondering where this would be available.

I Just tried a few of the Alatreon special assignments and still amazed at how easily people are carting, maybe everyone is just out of practice right now.

Even if a little rusty the special assignment Alatreon is nerfed into the ground. If people are having trouble clearing that not sure they should be attempting Fatalis.

Spongehead56

Jul 6, 2018
Wisconsin
Man, I wish I had the time to jump back in. The 300 hours I spent in the game were so wonderful, and Iceborne was a near perfect expansion.

I'm looking forward to the freedom having Monster Hunter Rise on the Switch is going to bring.

I haven't gone near him yet and tbh, I am terrified to face him. This will be my very first attempt at actually facing one. (I never got the chance to fight him in previous versions.)

Especially since it took me so long to beat the Alatreon and I sincerely hated that fight.

Think I'm gonna try to fight him starting tonight though. Is this a solo fight or should I bring help? (I usually role with one other person in multi, sans KT and SJ fights.)

Feb 5, 2018
It takes 1,000 hrs before you reach this boss? Or that's when you just decided to fight him
Doesn't take 1K hours, if you only do assigned quests and get the minimum on what equipment you are building towards, you can do it in less than 100, however thats not easy. I'm at 300+ and I still have yet to have the MR for Ruiner Nergigante or have defeated Raging Brachydios, Alatreon or this guy yet, but thats because I took my time. Returning to it this weekend to get through them.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Think I'm gonna try to fight him starting tonight though. Is this a solo fight or should I bring help? (I usually role with one other person in multi, sans KT and SJ fights.)

The fight scales for solo and multiplayer so you can choose which works best. Frankly I don't know because I've yet to clear him. I tend to last longer solo (for the full 30 mins), but I don't get the damage I need to kill. Then I play multiplayer for damage but everyone dies. I've been in that loop the past two nights. Can't fine tune my build any more than it is now, just gotta keep at it.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017

Don't bother, Fatalis is much easier to solo than with randoms.

Breaking the head before the final phase is mandatory (otherwise every single of its fire attack will one shot) and in 4-man hunt, unless everyone focusing on the head (they won't), it won't break.

Did 8 hunt with randos yesterday and not a single run see the horn break. Did 4 hunt solo today, break the horn every single run.

My PSPlus expired in 5 days and my original plan was to clear it with multiplayer (even prepared to extend it if i can't beat in 5 days lol). The fight completely throw that plan lol.

It's possible:

Personally, i'd easily rank it as the most difficult fight of the series. Probably on par with Sekiro-level of difficulty.
Took me two days to finally manage my first clear, and i was smiling so hard when i finally managed it. It's a great fight

All of his moves being two shot actually gave me Dark Souls boss vibe tbh...but it
last 30 minutes.

————

My personal rank for all MHW super boss would be :

Alatreon > Fatalis > Kulve Taroth = Shara Ishvalda > Safijiiva.