• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
I'm very confused right now. Are you saying I suck as a person? 'Cuz that's a bit harsh, but prolly fair. lol
Yeah, perhaps it is but when I see a self proclaimed art instructor putting ignoramus quotations on "art" and slinging juvenile criticisms that reeks of some deep seated jealousy, while also thinking putting the R-word in the title of a youtube video is acceptable, yeah, that registers on my suck-scale.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Looks fine. I'd rather have that than a plain box. Sure, it's not incredible.

TBH it matches the appearance of the phone with its RGB lighting and red gaming button.

Also, 144Hz for a phone is a waste of battery.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shogmaster

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
Yeah, perhaps it is but when I see a self proclaimed art instructor putting ignoramus quotations on "art" and slinging juvenile criticisms that reek of some deep seated jealousy, while also thinking putting the R-word in the title of a youtube video is acceptable, yeah, that registers on my suck-scale.
Puleeeze. At least get my emotions straight. I'm def not jealous of THAT guy. I'm if anything thankful that I'm not in that field. I bitch about my field but at least people I wolr with are qualified and skilled.

Second, if you think art schools are full of bunch of wise Mr. Miyagis, I have a 4 year graduate program to sell you. lolz We are just ppl who happen to teach. Just be glad some of us are saner than others. My predecessor at school that I taught got a student preggers and had to fuck off suddenly and I got the job after him. The first advice from my dept chair was "DON'T SLEEP WITH THE GIRLS!" and I was like YOWZA, I didn't think I looked the type! :D :D :D Compared to that guy I'm the fucking mother Teresa of teaching! BTW, that guy is well known and famous. Some of you mighty even recognize his name and work.

OP
OP
Shogmaster

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
User banned (1 month): Defense of ableist rhetoric over multiple posts
The first step is admitting it.
You are way behind the proceedings.

Anyways, since some of you are artists/went to art school, let me propose a hypothetical:

Would you rather be taught by a very gentle and proper person that kinda sucks at art and don't teach you beyond what you already kinda can do, or mean fucker bordering on a sociopath that is super talented and can get you ass in gear like no other? Remember, you are paying on average $25K/semester to be at art school.

BTW, I was neither extreme. I'm not a sociopath and of decent skill but I will make occasional inappropriate comment or two, sometimes on purpose. :D

I know which I would choose but it would require a thick skin, something I noticed that most of my students didn't have. They would have been destroyed and spat out at school I went to back in the 90's, but then again, school now days are more concerned with keeping attendance than weeding out the unworthy. Unfortunately I became more of a friend than a task master instructor and I think students work suffered because of that decision but I'm only human and at the end of the day and rather be liked than hated.

Last edited:

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017

Anyways, since some of you are artists/went to art school, let me propose a hypothetical:

Would you rather be taught by a very gentle and proper person that kinda sucks at art and don't teach you beyond what you already kinda can do, or mean fucker bordering on a sociopath that is super talented and can get you ass in gear like no other? Remember, you are paying on average $25K/semester to be at art school.

BTW, I was neither extreme. I'm not a sociopath and of decent skill but I will make occasional inappropriate comment or two, sometimes on purpose. :D

Oct 25, 2017

I know which I would choose but it would require a thick skin, something I noticed that most of my students didn't have. They would have been destroyed and spat out at school I went to back in the 90's, but then again, school now days are more concerned with keeping attendance than weeding out the unworthy. Unfortunately I became more of a friend than a task master instructor and I think students work suffered because of that decision but I'm only human and at the end of the day and rather be liked than hated.

tenor.gif

The R***** is an slur man, just don't use it, there's nothing more to it than that and you come out with... This...

I'm wondering if this thread can go further than rad GAMER GRAFIX boxes. Are there any parody graphics card box mockups out there?

OP
OP
Shogmaster

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
tenor.gif

The R***** is an slur man, just don't use it, there's nothing more to it than that and you come out with... This... Though I'm wondering if this thread can go further than rad GAMER GRAFIX boxes
I don't remember using that word in this thread or even this board. Yet here you are making it a thing because someone found an old youtube video where I used in some context that you are not even making effort on seeing? What do you want me to do, spend the rest of my night apologizing for ALL the bad things I ever said outside of this thread and life? You gonna be here for a while then. Get some snacks.

notBald

Oct 27, 2017
No it wasn't the X800 series was the better package. The NV40 in the 6800 series was just the slightly optimized version of the ill fated NV30 and NV35. The 7800 series was the first real step out of this mess.
You're thinking of the 5950, the 6800 was a new chip. One that can play Bioshock, unlike the X800.

Oct 30, 2017
Let me just say, my wife obtained her Master's in fine art and at no time during critiques were slurs used to describe the person or their art. I don't know what art school OP attended, but you were always expected to be respectful and direct in your criticisms. This whole idea that the only good instructors are the asshole ones is really immature and naive thinking.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
You're thinking of the 5950, the 6800 was a new chip. One that can play Bioshock, unlike the X800.
I checked some reviews of those two architectures and it seams that the 6800er did better than my memory. Maybe the first set of drivers did make me remember those two cards. I switched from a X800XT AGP to a 6800GT PCIe and wasn't so happy. The bioshock problem is only a minor problems. Those unofficial pics shader 2.b patches worked relatively ok. And there weren't so many other games that preferred pixel shader 3 back then.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This thread went some wild places, lol

I think the art looks fine. Not great, not awful. Perfectly fine. It's honestly something that, if I bought the product, I would look at maybe two times before I either put it in my closet or threw it in the garbage once I knew the device was working fine or whatever. If it held the accessories that came with it, I may keep it. I'm not sure I've ever kept a device box simply because it looked cool lol

As for the device itself, I've not seen one with that sort of active fan cooling before! Hah, but I don't really game at all on my phone. Also I know it's tacky af but I like the RGB on the back, just wish it was an actual design rather than the brand name. I'm kinda surprised Apple or Samsung hasn't made their logos light up, but I suppose it would be a battery waste/take up unnecessary space. When your phone is as chunky as this one is, I suppose a tiny bit of space for lights like that isn't a big deal.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Puleeeze. At least get my emotions straight. I'm def not jealous of THAT guy. I'm if anything thankful that I'm not in that field. I bitch about my field but at least people I wolr with are qualified and skilled.

Second, if you think art schools are full of bunch of wise Mr. Miyagis, I have a 4 year graduate program to sell you. lolz We are just ppl who happen to teach. Just be glad some of us are saner than others. My predecessor at school that I taught got a student preggers and had to fuck off suddenly and I got the job after him. The first advice from my dept chair was "DON'T SLEEP WITH THE GIRLS!" and I was like YOWZA, I didn't think I looked the type! :D :D :D Compared to that guy I'm the fucking mother Teresa of teaching! BTW, that guy is well known and famous. Some of you mighty even recognize his name and work.

I hope in your little vacation here you reassess this horrible attitude. Any art instructor worth their salt would not spend their free time shitting on other peoples art through the lens of an edgy uncreative teenager. Good art teachers are mature, respectful, yet stern, you can be a difficult and encouraging instructor without being a total asshole. They wouldn't boast about being in the position to sleep with students with three emoticon's added for emphasis, nor would they refer to themselves as "the fucking mother Teresa of teaching!"

They also definitely wouldn't use rhetoric like "weeding out the unworthy" Did you major in illustration and minor in eugenics or something?

Regardless I feel any students under your tutelage, with the kind of views you are espousing here you are likely getting the wrong message.

If I was an instructor in your shoes, instead of seeing this illustration and then behaving irrationally and creating a salty thread about it, I'd turn it into a positive for my students, go in one day and show them the cover of it and say something to the effect of "Any of you in this room right now who might be second guessing if they can succeed in the arts, check this out _______, now I'm not a big fan of this illustration because of x,y and z but I'm sure many of you are thinking right now "I could do way better than that" and I'm going to show you that you can" *cue assignment that's inspired by the art in question*

It's not hard to turn disdain into something constructive without being disrespectful.

Last edited:

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I cannot fathom caring that much about the packaging for a technological tool that you aim to replace every two years.
Replacing your phone every two years doesn't sound like a good idea. Huge waste of money as phones aren't much different. If my iPhone 7+ never broke I would still use it, as the XS Max or 11 Pro Max aren't much better. Camera is better but I don't care about taking pictures, and if you cared that much about that in the first place you would have a proper camera.

DGenerator

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada
Replacing your phone every two years doesn't sound like a good idea. Huge waste of money as phones aren't much different. If my iPhone 7+ never broke I would still use it, as the XS Max or 11 Pro Max aren't much better. Camera is better but I don't care about taking pictures, and if you cared that much about that in the first place you would have a proper camera.

Both you and the OP cannot grasp the point, although you less bombastically and without using ableist language.

The point is "literally who should care so much about this?"

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
lmao this thread certainly went places. But it's that's not surprising when OP is that triggered by mediocre box art.

At least it's not the cg sex doll looking ladies on the boxes old VGA cards

The phone itself seems snazzy but man is it tacky, why does gaming stuff always go so far out of the way to look tacky.