• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I use Google wi-fi and did a speed test recently. Noticed that my uploads are wayyy faster than my downloads?

Isn't it the other way around? Anyone know how to fix this? Tried searching but can't find a concrete answer.

t74FKgj.jpg

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
You don't.
After a certain point, speed tests become a game of available bandwidth to accurately test. The server(s) you were testing against had more available download than upload on their end which resulted in these results.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
You don't.
After a certain point, speed tests become a game of available bandwidth to accurately test. The server(s) you were testing against had more available download than upload on their end which resulted in these results.
Thanks for the answer.

Haven't noticed anything wrong with streaming or downloading so that's a good thing.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
You're not going to be saturating your line with streaming or regular downloading ;)

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
In all my years of turning up internet connections, I've never seen this happen before. I'd start by contacting your ISP.

Also, use speedtest.net and select server closer to your geographical location. Does it happen?

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At the speed you're getting, I wouldn't worry about it. lol.

A lot of ISPs throttle upload to a 10th of download. You don't want that.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Majority of internet technologies are skewed towards downstream due to technological limitations. DSL & DOCSIS technologies primarily. DOCSIS is based on cable tv networks for example, which initially was designed only for one way data transfer - so upstream was "hacked in" as an afterthought to make internet actually functional. Even though theoritically DOCSIS can offer pretty good upload speeds now with 3.1, it's still rare, and nowhere near symmetrical - it's usually a very large investment for the ISP to make that happen.

With tech like FTTH, ISP's can easily offer symmetrical high speed internet, even 1 gbit down and 1 gbit up and still deliver those speeds majority of the time. Though, keep in mind, even with something like that, you will be sharing bandwith with other people in your area. And, it makes sense that downstream bandwith would be more saturated than upstream - just think of it logically, majority of stuff home users do primarily utilize downloads, not uploads.

So, in short: it's perfectly normal with the kind of beastly internet you have and there is nothing to worry about.

I generally measure higher uploads than downloads too, by 50-100 mbit. It's pretty close now but it's also 5 am here and pretty much all my neighbours are asleep.

9228738351.png

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Majority of internet technologies are skewed towards downstream due to technological limitations. DSL & DOCSIS technologies primarily. DOCSIS is based on cable tv networks for example, which initially was designed only for one way data transfer - so upstream was "hacked in" as an afterthought to make internet actually functional. Even though theoritically DOCSIS can offer pretty good upload speeds now with 3.1, it's still rare, and nowhere near symmetrical - it's usually a very large investment for the ISP to make that happen.

With tech like FTTH, ISP's can easily offer symmetrical high speed internet, even 1 gbit down and 1 gbit up and still deliver those speeds majority of the time. Though, keep in mind, even with something like that, you will be sharing bandwith with other people in your area. And, it makes sense that downstream bandwith would be more saturated than upstream - just think of it logically, majority of stuff home users do primarily utilize downloads, not uploads.

So, in short: it's perfectly normal with the kind of beastly internet you have and there is nothing to worry about.

I generally measure higher uploads than downloads too, by 50-100 mbit. It's pretty close now but it's also 5 am here and pretty much all my neighbours are asleep.

9228738351.png
Thanks for the insight, appreciate it!

Good to hear nothing's wrong haha

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
9228709540.png

Did a speedtest, but pretty darn close to download.

That's great!

Something else I've learned from my experience in turning up internet, use a reliable site, like speed test.net or fast.com, and definitely not Google's speed test or whatever that is that appears directly in their search results.