• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Dallas,tx
Jack in a box burgers in general. I would always get an ultimate cheeseburger once a week back in the 90s-2000s. Now all their burger meat is just bland and dry.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Chipotle Burritos used to be the size of newborn babies. Also the rice was better and more cilantro-limey

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Pizza Hut of today absolutely pales in comparison to its deliciously greasy and cheesy 90s self.

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018
Pizza Hut is the big one.

Also, remember how good Chicken Littles from KFC were back in the 90s?? The new ones are just ok, but nothing like the stuff I ate in high school.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
I used to love KFC's chicken tenders, they're now about 1/3 the size they were 10 years ago, are almost always overcooked and they changed the breading a while back. Stopped eating them 7-8 years ago, had some last week and they were terrible.
They used to batter and fry actual chicken strips in their extra crispy mix when I first worked there as a teen.

Then about a year later, they started using premade ones that come in frozen from a truck.

Caped Baldy

Dec 11, 2017
Big Macs don't taste as great as i remembered them.

Seconded. I had not eaten at McDonald's since Super Size Me came out, and earlier this year I was forced to because it was either that or Wendy's. I got a Big Mac thinking "Well, it's shit food, but food that's shit for you normally tastes good, right?"

No. No it does not. What a mediocre and depressing sandwich the Big Mac has become. I can see why our President loves these fucking things.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
The Sausage McMuffin at McDonald's. It's a thinner, less meaty patty, you can get close to it with two Sausage patties but even still.

Also, any fast food in the states, it's so bland and salty, McDonalds and Taco Bell up here are so much better(even if for taco bell we don't have all the same things)

Cream Stout

Oct 28, 2017
checker's burgers used to be the best for me. were well seasoned and not greasy at all. i got one recently and it was absolutely bland and just greasy mushy awful. mcdonald's quarter pounder patties tastes similar to the old checker's burgers so that's what i go for now if i want one.

wendy's burgers definitely aren't the same, arby's chicken for their sandwiches went way downhill. they're so much smaller and the texture is just off now

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Wendys as a whole has gone downhill. They used to be the gold standard for fast food, and I think they are now even with the other guys.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
The Whopper (and Burger King in general) has been in gradual decline since the mid-2000s, but the last 5 years have been really rough. I don't know about your local place, but all of them around me are either closing or are filthy rundown husks.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
This is basically a Taco Bell thread. Once upon a time they had real beef. They also had encharitos. Not to mention, the green chili sauce that you had the option of getting on a regular bean burrito. And that's just the short list.

I miss when the Taco Bell Mexican pizza used to have green onions on it. It was the best. Then they had an ecoli situation and dropped green onions everywhere.

Hello.

Jan 20, 2020
A lot of people are correct in this thread and without a doubt most recipes have most likely changed slightly, especially since the mid-2000s where I felt like most places tasted pretty good and had some sort of texture/flavor difference between resturants.

McDonalds all-around has degraded significantly. Even their fries, which people who don't eat fast-food would agree were good, are not the same. Their McNuggets are practically inedible (not as much as Burger King's at least), and even the Chicken Tenders which got re-introduced some years ago have already been downgraded since then.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I miss when the Taco Bell Mexican pizza used to have green onions on it. It was the best. Then they had an ecoli situation and dropped green onions everywhere.
The worst part about this was it was eventually determined the ecoli out break originated from lettuce. But the damage done by the green onion rumors had already taken its toll.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
First thing that popped to mind for me was also the Burger King chicken tenders...but not the crown ones, I'm taking it even further back.
Pre-crown back the earlier days, BK tenders came in more of a small strip shape, but the key is that the way the breading was applied created these little regularly spaced ridges running perpendicular to the length of the tender. Almost like a chocolate bar, this would semi-naturally section each tender off to enjoy one small bite at a time for maximum enjoyment while encouraging you not to eat them too quickly. They've never been quite the same since, and the most recent incarnation of BK nuggets are just...saddening.

The consistency of quality in Wendy's spicy chicken sandwiches also seems to have worsened over time. It's still good but sometimes I wind up with a patty that's not very crispy and seems like it's been hanging around a bit too long. Maybe it's just me but these used to seem a lot fresher years back.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Taco Bell used to have honest, real churros at one point. Then they replaced them with cinnamon twists and it was tragic.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
HOLY SHIT, I THOUGHT I WAS CRAZY, I LOVED THESE SHITS SO MUCH AND NOBODY EVEN REMEMBERS THEY EXISTED!

Welcome to the resistance. Team Crown Nugs forever.
I remember when McDonalds debut it chicken nuggets. It was a family event treat for my poor family. I remember it being real chunks of chicken. Years later, I got some with my hard earned teenage cash and it was night and day.

Could be our taste buds just matured. I loved spaghetti-os as a kid, but tried it as an adult and it taste awful.

This too. I loved these and chef boyardee ravioli. I detected no change in quality.

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
Could some of this not be your palette/tastes changing as you get older?

Like I used to dip cheap frozen pizza in vinegar. I loved that shit.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I used to love the Boston Market chicken carver sandwich. Last time I had it (years ago) it was dry and bland.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Taco Bell's quesadillas for me. Tasted so damn good with the sauce they used inside during the early 2000's. I presume they changed it up... because it doesn't taste the same.

I had some sort of pork quesadilla at Taco Bell in shenzhen earlier this month. It was dogshit. Was sooo gross. Anyway I agree. Next time I'll get the volcano burrito that shit is the bomb

Inki

Oct 30, 2017
Arby's and Hardee's curley fries. I remember when they used to be so much more flavorful. Now their limp, bland things I don't enjoy.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017

no. Because we are a forum of vast age differences, yet we can identify a period of years where recipes seem to have gotten worse. It's all to save a buck and keep those profit margins.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta

Sometimes, but I really think some of this stuff just nosedived in quality.

I think Pizza Hut is the biggest offender. Not only is the food just sad now, but any actual dine-in areas that I've seen in the past decade (which admittedly isn't many) just look derelict compared to the '90s.

Ballou

Apr 2, 2020
The Dairy Queen chicken basket has become a joke.

This is sad, since one is opening up in my town. The chicken basket was top-tier for me growing up.

Wendys as a whole has gone downhill. They used to be the gold standard for fast food, and I think they are now even with the other guys.

They have sadly strayed from the path that is Dave's Way. You could feel it coming when they started to nerf the $1 menu.

Oct 29, 2017
I'll say that once you leave fast food for a good half year, most of the items and places taste horrible. I used to crave BK burgers and having one last week sent my stomach into a spiral. It was not tasty. Oddly enough my exception is Taco Bell. I can usually eat their bean burritos no issue.

Oct 25, 2017
Before quarantine, I was eating one fast food cheat meal a week. But now, I don't eat it at all and not only do I not really want any, the idea of wanting fast food seems rather strange to me.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Big Macs don't taste as great as i remembered them.
Having tasted big macs from every country ive gone, american big macs are a fucking travesty (they had something called angus burger at the time, circa 2011, were i had to buy that instead becuase their big macs tasted like plastic) I dont know if they were better before. Spanish ones are still the best, its aguilty pleasure every time i go.

Taco Bell used to have honest, real churros at one point. Then they replaced them with cinnamon twists and it was tragic.
You mean porras? Becuase if they were long and fat, those are porras, not churros, no matter how a americans like to called them. I havent seen a real churro sold in america ever.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
McDonald's burgers taste like garbage as well, I'd rather spend a few more bucks for something decent.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
Wendy's nuggets have gotten worse with slight changes in the breading. This is pretty recent.

Sonic used to have really good burgers. Went there one day years later and it was the saddest burger I've ate in years.

El Goom

Oct 27, 2017
How has Little Caesars not been mentioned? Before they became the $5 greasy frisbee company, they actually had some edible pizza. Now it's instant heartburn that wrecks you for days

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Taco Bell as a whole for me. Nothing tastes good from there anymore.

Bring back my Volcano menu you bastards.