• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The U.S. ambassador to South Africa attended a dinner at President Trump's Mar-a-Lago Club with Brazilian officials who later tested positive for the novel coronavirus. But she told her State Department employees that she did not consider herself at risk because the dinner was outside and she believed the virus could not withstand the Florida heat, people familiar with the matter said Friday.

Ambassador Lana Marks made the claim during a "town hall" meeting for hundreds of staff members at U.S. diplomatic facilities in South Africa on Thursday, which was held following several days of concern among staff members who knew of her exposure. Details of the session were provided to The Washington Post afterward by people familiar with the ambassador's remarks.

Employees voiced concerns during the meeting about Marks's failure to self-quarantine or take other protective measures.
State Department employees at Thursday's meeting protested that they have been placed at risk, that Marks is not following the guidelines set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and that she is incorrect that the virus could not have been transmitted at the outdoor dinner.

Marks, a fashion executive and Mar-a-Lago member, told staff at the meeting she would go into semi-seclusion but not cut out all meetings or contact with staff, these people said. She had previously told staff members who raised concerns that the incubation period has passed and that she does not believe she is at risk.

During the meeting, Marks said she was not in close contact with an infected person and that the temperature at Mar-a-Lago that night was above 26 degrees Celsius (about 79 Fahrenheit) and that the virus would not be transmissible at that temperature.
Shortly after the town hall meeting, Marks tweeted that she would enter self-quarantine, a shift from her stance before the employee session.

"t is essential that everyone stays both safe and healthy — on a personal level, I am strongly advocating self-quarantine and social distancing for those who may, even by the remotest possibility, have been exposed," she wrote.

"Returning to Pretoria, I had to take a fairly full flight. While nobody on the plane was diagnosed with #Covid19, and neither I nor my family are experiencing symptoms, in order to err on the side of extreme caution, we will self-quarantine for the prescribed 14 Days."

"I hope my personal actions serve as a good example to everyone who has recently travelled," she wrote.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact people this dumb are more successful than most Americans is depressing.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
These people are probably thinking the same. "It's just a tiny virus bro."

"The best people, the best."

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
The prime minister of Venus said the same. He could not be reached for comment.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was told something similar to this at work today by a customer. That it'll all be over here soon due to the heat.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

BobLablow

Apr 18, 2018
A lot of people were peddling that "heat kills it" bullshit a few weeks ago.

Probably started from Trump, who said it would go away in April and May when it warmed up.

Another one of his idiotic remarks he'll swear he never said but could get people killed. Yet his cult and even this woman will continue marching along licking his ass and proclaiming him as a genius.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What is it with this that has people convinced they are smarter than everyone else? A friend's coworker tried to pull the same stunt this week.