• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Hey let's kill hundreds upon hundreds of intelligent creatures because people in the past did that. Seems reasonable.

Oct 28, 2017
User Warned: Whataboutism, Modwhining
Will I get banned for pointing out that far more dolphins die getting caught in tuna nets?

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I am generally pretty lenient on differences in culture. Especially in what they eat. Cows are holy in some countries and dogs are eaten in others.

But its hard to defend this seeing as how most people there don't eat them and from everything I have read about it dolphin and whale meat is toxic with mercury so there are better ways to feed poor families without poisoning them.

In general though I think hunting is not a bad thing. I will never do it but I think it makes sense to get closer to the animals we are eating on a daily basis. To have no connection with them makes us really take it for granted.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Sorry Bobby, that's whataboutism. This thread only for calling other cultures barbaric. This is not a safe space for introspection or action. /s
I mean, put up a thread on dolphins being caught in tuna nets and the impact that shipping industries have on wildlife and I'm sure you'll have responses that are critical of it. What about the act of going out in high speed boats and murdering a pod of 1,428 dolphins in one go, which one article put as being the largest super-pod recorded in the area, isn't cruel?

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
Lol at the warning and ban, I guess some meat eating mod got offended.

I'll gladly take mine you trash.
I'll take a warning and/or ban too I guess. If someone's okay with or financially supports traditional western meat practices but not this slaughter, they don't care about the animals they care about exerting smug superiority over other cultures.
Yep, embarrassing display by the mod.

There are plenty of dumb domesticated animals to consume instead.
What a sad thing to read, you'd be surprised by how intelligent animals like pigs are.

I mean, put up a thread on dolphins being caught in tuna nets and the impact that shipping industries have on wildlife and I'm sure you'll have responses that are critical of it.
Or we could frame related things in their broader context and discuss them that way, but I guess that's whataboutism.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Or we could frame related things in their broader context and discuss them that way, but I guess that's whataboutism.
The idea that people can't be critical of smaller-scale issues because larger ones exist is odd. There are a number of threads here on the meat industry each year, and those issues are discussed. This one is about an event where a large super-pod of dolphins were slaughtered in a single go.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
That's a very good point, thanks for bringing it up. I think you changed my mind on this a bit, in that ultimately this is a single event, not something they are doing very regularly.
I still hope that they can avoid such extreme cases in the future.

Definitely, this is a massive horrifying waste but hopefully this is the exception and not the rule. Maybe it will lead to some controls being put in place on any future hunts. I really hope so!

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Will I get banned for pointing out that far more dolphins die getting caught in tuna nets?
Like the other guy the posted here, do you THINK we aren't AWARE of that already? Do you THINK we don't ALSO CONDEMN such shitty practices? Seriously, what do you people THINK we are, Trump Supporting, Right-wing, one-track-minded, selfish hard-heads? Do you KNOW where you are?!

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Like the other guy the posted here, do you THINK we aren't AWARE of that already? Do you THINK we don't ALSO CONDEMN such shitty practices? Seriously, what do you people THINK we are, Trump Supporting, Right-wing, one-track-minded, selfish hard-heads? Do you KNOW where you are?!

Only right-wing, Trump supporters eat meat? lol

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
I mean, put up a thread on dolphins being caught in tuna nets and the impact that shipping industries have on wildlife and I'm sure you'll have responses that are critical of it. What about the act of going out in high speed boats and murdering a pod of 1,428 dolphins in one go, which one article put as being the largest super-pod recorded in the area, isn't cruel?
Murdering 1,428 dolphins is incredibly cruel. I'm not for it at all.

But if a forum that claims to be anti-racist is going to call other cultures "barbaric", then that better come with a ton of introspection from every white person in this thread before they click 'Post' about how systemic racism impacts their perception of animal cruelty. If calling another culture "barbaric" for their animal cruelty doesn't simultaneously come with unlearning your own culture's justifications for animal abuse, the word for that is "racism".

Tuna nets, and all ways in which dolphins are needlessly killed, are 100% relevant to a thread where users are mask-off allowed to call other cultures "barbaric" (on an allegedly LEFTIST forum) for the way they kill dolphins. I expect far better from ERA and any forum that claims to be anti-racist. I also expect a thread warning because ofcourse talking about this is offlimits.

Edit: changed "animal abuse" to "animal cruelty" in a few places for consistency of topic.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Murdering 1,428 dolphins is incredibly cruel. I'm not for it at all.

But if a forum that claims to be anti-racist is going to call other cultures "barbaric", then that better come with a ton of introspection from every white person in this thread before they click 'Post' about how systemic racism impacts their perception of animal abuse. If calling another culture "barbaric" for their animal abuse doesn't simultaneously come with unlearning your own culture's justifications for animal abuse, the word for that is "racism".

Tuna nets, and all ways in which dolphins are needlessly killed, are 100% relevant to a thread where users are mask-off allowed to call other cultures "barbaric" (on an allegedly LEFTIST forum) for the way they kill dolphins. I expect far better from ERA and any forum that claims to be anti-racist. I also expect a thread warning because ofcourse talking about this is offlimits.
The particular act of slaughtering 1,428 dolphins is what I would refer to as being barbaric. Their culture, which no doubt extends far beyond this single act, needn't be as a consequence. Similarly the tradition of old likely had natural restraints in ability to herd and kill large numbers, alongside more necessity to the local population. So it's not a constant going back through time either. I'm against animal cruelty in my own country too, like in the form of fox hunting. A majority-white event which itself is ascribed to tradition and given a laundry list of reasons as to why it should continue in its present form. This is also regarded as barbaric, as it is equally cruel.

Last edited:

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
EasyWavyAmericancurl-size_restricted.gif

OP
OP
Sheepinator

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
The GDP may be high but opportunities are still dominated by the fishing industry and a lot of young people still have to leave to diversify their opportunity.

It's not a dirt poor country but it's not a major international player. It's a small state with it's own culture, which by it's geography, has to be different to mainland Europe. I suppose, the point I was making, is that it is enjoys a novel outlook the cultural orthodoxy forced on the world from the white, English speaking Western world. Different enough that we should be careful about demanding what they can and can't do.

I agree, hopefully it is scaled down and it sounds like, under normal circumstances, it is a much smaller event but one that still provides for many families in a country still dominated by it's fishing industry. As in, they still have a very real connection to the sea and what it provides. I certainly wouldn't attempt to stop Inuit people from hunting whales, once I deemed they had enough food otherwise.

My connection between the negative effects on meat eating and this isolated incident is less about the direct comparison of methods and morals and more on the reaction these images produce.

A sea bathed in blood is a horrifying image but in reality it's an isolated event, rather than a regular way of hunting. A social media campaign demonizing people engaging in their heritage is not an effective way of getting a message across, yet this is what it feels like the reporting on this story generates.

Also, I could not possibly argue the counter point of our treatment of pigs and cows by someone defending this hunt, especially as I don't know the details of it's place in Faroe Island life. That's my worry, that it's easy to see an image and debase a foreign culture when I know equal or worse goes on at home. If I have a problem with colonialism then I might have a problem with how these kinds of cases are handled, despite my general abhorrence to the killing of whales and dolphins.
You make some good points. I think there's a danger though of conflating the existence of the event with the scale of this particular event. If they just killed the usual few dozen and let the rest go I doubt we'd see many headlines around the world condemning the event. It sounds like the local population isn't in full agreement either.

Also worth noting that centuries ago the tradition didn't involve jetskis.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
You make some good points. I think there's a danger though of conflating the existence of the event with the scale of this particular event. If they just killed the usual few dozen and let the rest go I doubt we'd see many headlines around the world condemning the event. It sounds like the local population isn't in full agreement either.

Also worth noting that centuries ago the tradition didn't involve jetskis.

Absolutely, I made that point in a another post, this is definitely considered outside the realm of normal and I wasn't trying to defend this one particular hunt. I'm not sure why this one ended with such huge numbers but there's obviously some thinking to be done on the part of those that support this if they want to continue to do it.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Not a fan of killing animals that are not eaten.

If all the meat was turned to food, I'd shrug my shoulders and go on my merry way. I eat meat, after all.

However, it sounds like most of this goes to waste and only some of it is used for food.

Excessive killing + cruel killing (torture, etc) are no-nos in my book.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Oh boy let me tell you something about the livestock industry. At least these dolphins lived a good life.

Oct 29, 2017
Of course it's whataboutism 🙄

He is just pointing out that because there were some gruesome photographs and because this is not an event that happens all the time it got publicity, even though it's much less impactful than what we do with other animals.

Nobody is stating that this should continue, but the zero amount of care and nuance that goes into essentially crucifying a small isolated community that nobody ever heard or interacted with here is quite stupid. Just as a reminder, a Reddit post was quoted here that goes deeper into this but everyone is willfully ignoring it.

It's also extremely strange to say "just go to the supermarket" in response. I thought people here who are so vocal about stuff like this know already how normalized animal cruelty is already.

I swear that here sometimes people just want their two minutes of hate. There could've been an intelligent discussion here about animal cruelty here, but instead we got this because people can't read a few lines about it to make actual conversation.

Because yeah, I wish sometimes that people would actually invest their anger into things that matter on the large scale, make actual conversations, and not be done after writing a "fuck XY" comment on the internet. That is whataboutism, okay, I just wanted to share my opinion too.

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
This is fucking disgusting. How the hell can this happen in 2021? Just 250 miles north of the UK as well.

We should ban all trade and tourism with this island until it stops.