• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is already a production thread but the trailer dropped yesterday and figure it should get more eyes on it as it looks fantastic! Easily my most excited show for the first part of this year.

Show description:
Season four of Fargo is set in 1950, at the end of two American migrations — that of Southern Europeans from countries like Italy, who came to the U.S. at the turn of the last century and settled in northern cities like New York and Chicago — and African-Americans who left the South in great numbers to escape Jim Crow and moved to those same cities — you saw a collision of outsiders, all fighting for a piece of the American dream. In Kansas City, Missouri, two criminal syndicates have struck an uneasy peace. One Italian, one African-American. Together they control an alternate economy — that of exploitation, graft and drugs. This too is the history of America. To cement their peace, the heads of both families have traded their eldest sons.

Last edited:

UltimusXI

Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna watch the trailer, but really looking forward to the next season. April is earlier than I expected. Seasons 1-3 were fantastic!

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Looks a bit more stylized in that Fargo movie bend than the previous season or two but looks great and interesting, I am definitely in. Seems like its gonna be more about gangster warfare too, I'd guess 1920s or 1930s?

Be interesting to see if Chris Rock can carry the weight of leading role, most of his movies are goofy as hell and while I know he has had a few very good dramatic roles its pretty rare.

OP
OP
Valiant

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Give me your seasons power ranking.

3 > 2 > 1

Looks a bit more stylized in that Fargo movie bend than the previous season or two but looks great and interesting, I am definitely in. Seems like its gonna be more about gangster warfare too, I'd guess 1920s or 1930s?

Be interesting to see if Chris Rock can carry the weight of leading role, most of his movies are goofy as hell and while I know he has had a few very good dramatic roles its pretty rare.

It's the 1950s in Kansas City, Missouri.

It's basically about a Black crime family and Italian family. I imagine it will be an extension of what they did in Season 3 with class struggle cept it will be racial and taking place at a time of desegregation. Brown V Board of Education occurs in the 50s.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Rankings are 1 > 2 > 3. The first season is a perfect adaptation of the movie to TV, capturing the themes and tone of the Coen Brothers film with pitch-perfect precision. 2 is a great ensemble season of TV. 3...is when a writers room is completely out of ideas to justify a third season of a TV show. There's only so many times you can adapt Fargo, and the first season already did it perfectly.

Here's hoping season 4 learns that lesson and does something new and not regurgitate the same themes and character arcs that we've seen already.

OP
OP
Valiant

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rankings are 1 > 2 > 3. The first season is a perfect adaptation of the movie to TV, capturing the themes and tone of the Coen Brothers film with pitch-perfect precision. 2 is a great ensemble season of TV. 3...is when a writers room is completely out of ideas to justify a third season of a TV show. There's only so many times you can adapt Fargo, and the first season already did it perfectly.

Here's hoping season 4 learns that lesson and does something new and not regurgitate the same themes and character arcs that we've seen already.

Season 3 isn't an adaptation of Fargo. The only one closest has been Season 1 and even then I would argue it wasn't an adaptation either.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
1>2=3 for me. I think 3 was fine, but it was mostly carried by its cast. Lupin was a great antogonist, and Ewan did great in the double role.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
2>>1>3. Like all of them, but season 2 was the big standout. This one looks a little closer to what 2 was going for as well.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
When I heard Chris Rock, I was kind of meh about it, but this actually looks really good. Can't wait.

Minataur

Oct 25, 2017

3 > 2 > 1

3 is the weirdest and boldest and I /love/ that in my media. I know people don't like Varga as much as Malvo/Milligan/Hanzee/whoever, but to me he was simultaneously the most abstractly terrifying yet weirdly human of the antagonists and the already-great writing is elevated even further by David Thewlis' performance.

2 and 1 are still amazing (best seasons of television in their respective years) but they feel too beholden to the original movie in everything from their plot to their structure to their character archetypes, so 3 being refreshingly its own thing gives it major points in my book.

OP
OP
Valiant

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3 > 2 > 1

3 is the weirdest and boldest and I /love/ that in my media. I know people don't like Varga as much as Malvo/Milligan/Hanzee/whoever, but to me he was simultaneously the most abstractly terrifying yet weirdly human of the antagonists and the already-great writing is elevated even further by David Thewlis' performance.

2 and 1 are still amazing (best seasons of television in their respective years) but they feel too beholden to the original movie in everything from their plot to their structure to their character archetypes, so 3 being refreshingly its own thing gives it major points in my book.

Was sup cuh!

Those are some of the reasons I love Season 3 as well. I think it's a good deconstruction of how these seasons thrust this small time person into this big corrupt world and they always seem to come out on top or at least as on top as you can be for the world of Fargo. In Season 3 we don't know if she ever gets him... certainly she's doing better in the world but there is no conclusion to how things turn out.

It's probably the best connected anthology universe there is. Season 4 is likely to setup a lot of stuff in Season 2 because thats when the KC crime families movie in on Minnesota, and Season 1 had some setups and connections to Season 3.

Minataur

Oct 25, 2017
Was sup cuh!

Those are some of the reasons I love Season 3 as well. I think it's a good deconstruction of how these seasons thrust this small time person into this big corrupt world and they always seem to come out on top or at least as on top as you can be for the world of Fargo. In Season 3 we don't know if she ever gets him... certainly she's doing better in the world but there is no conclusion to how things turn out.

It's probably the best connected anthology universe there is. Season 4 is likely to setup a lot of stuff in Season 2 because thats when the KC crime families movie in on Minnesota, and Season 1 had some setups and connections to Season 3.
Oh damn, I'd LOVE if S4 featured a young Joe Bulo or Hamish Broker cutting their teeth in the KC mob.

Though finding another actor capable of imitating Brad Garrett's voice would be quite the task, lol

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Looks great! Season 1 and 2 were fantastic.

Not finished season 3, started twice and gave up half way through both times, it was good but not very gripping.

OP
OP
Valiant

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's on the damn license plate. Like it's actually ridiculous they got that wrong.

Mistakes happen. When I watched Irishman they had Joe Pesci put a salad under a heat lamp in that and it irked me too.

Oh damn, I'd LOVE if S4 featured a young Joe Bulo or Hamish Broker cutting their teeth in the KC mob.

Though finding another actor capable of imitating Brad Garrett's voice would be quite the task, lol

I was thinking more along the lines of Mike Milligan. I have a feeling he didn't happily work for the Italians in season 2.

Minataur

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking more along the lines of Mike Milligan. I have a feeling he didn't happily work for the Italians in season 2.
That would be cool, but I guess it'd depend on the exact timeframe in which S4 takes place. Mike didn't strike me as particularly old in S2 (maybe mid-thirties at the latest) and with S4 potentially taking place 25 years prior, they'd have to either retcon his age or have him make a cameo appearance as a kid. Either way would be cool though; love the way that character was written.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
liked all season so far, so more Fargo is good in my book.
1 > 2 > 3 for me.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
2 > 1 > 3

Season 2 is one of my favorite TV seasons and it never gets boring on a rewatch.

And I'm still bitter season 3 never got a BluRay release.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Looks characteristically great, love the emphasis on the comedic, and Jessie Buckley is fantastic, so all signs point to another stellar season.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I did like how season 3 was so different but it felt disappointing coming from 2 and 1. I didnt think the cast was as good overall

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I love all of them, really, but if I had to order them, probably: 2 > 3 > 1.

The great thing is (for anyone not familiar with the series), each season is almost entirely self-contained, each set in a different location and time. There are a few connections between them, but none especially vital to understanding each season's story. So anyone looking forward to 4 doesn't need to go back and watch all three seasons first.