• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

UrbanDandy

Oct 25, 2017
I predict

Satchel will come back, but this time as Mike Milligan and kill Loy for abandoning him with the trade off. It would fit the theme of the gangster's arc. That or Zelmare will be the one to take Loy out.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Is it just me, or was Gaetano wierdly sentimental this episode. Like, okay, he's been in "best brother ever" mode ever since he got released, fine, but he seemed weirdly somber when he killed Otis. Like, he didn't seem his usual sadistic self, he just looked at him like it's too bad he had to kill him. Anyone else found that weird?
I figure either he was put off by Odis' surrender, executing someone who's not putting up a fight or... He saw in him something he'd seen during the war. Something his brother wouldn't understand. How his brother doesn't really get what he went through after he was sent away.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Is it just me, or was Gaetano wierdly sentimental this episode. Like, okay, he's been in "best brother ever" mode ever since he got released, fine, but he seemed weirdly somber when he killed Otis. Like, he didn't seem his usual sadistic self, he just looked at him like it's too bad he had to kill him. Anyone else found that weird?
I figure either he was put off by Odis' surrender, executing someone who's not putting up a fight or... He saw in him something he'd seen during the war. Something his brother wouldn't understand. How his brother doesn't really get what he went through after he was sent away.
I also feel like their mother's has him clinging onto his last living immediate family(aside from Zero). I feel like this whole thing has taken a toll on him.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Just caught up now. Man that Gaetano death was the most Fargo thing this season!
I was stunned for a second and then started laughing and going "WTF" very much like his brother.
Cool episode, the B&W one before that was also great and beautiful.
I hope this sticks the landing

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Can you shoot him first, so I can watch?"

Mayflower gets one last bit of satisfaction, before biting the bullet

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
Was Zero (the youngest Fadda son) forgotten?

He got traded back to this family and had one last moment with Loy, but that was it.

Anyway, I enjoyed the episode. I felt that this season might have been a bit too bloated with characters, as most of them dropped like flies in the back half, but I thought it was pretty solid season overall. I hope we'll get another season eventually, but it wouldn't be so bad if they closed it off here.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah, this episode was mostly closing the chapter on the fates of Loy and Josto. At least Loy got some relief in his final moments, before meeting his ultimate fate.

SbnaS

Sep 3, 2018
With the trumpet playing and the oranges I know Loy was gonna get killed. That had godfather written all over it

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Groaned out loud at the Godfather reference near the end, was a decent finale though. Enjoyed the mid-credits scene.

Definitely the weakest of the 4 seasons but still a really solid volume. Nice that they tried something different.

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Apart from the B&W episode and a few scenes here and there...I didnt really like this season at all. Easily the weakest season for me.

If they do make another I will watch it but I also wouldn't be too fussed if they ended it all now.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
Good season of TV in a vacuum but the weakest of the 4 Fargo seasons IMO. Was nice to see an origin story for my favorite character from my favorite season, but the journey to get there was a bit overwrought. Really makes me want to watch season 2 again so i'm gonna try and find some time for that

Oct 28, 2017
I said after a couple of episodes that I don't think Rock was suitable for that role and that final episode cemented my opinion. I wanted to do nothing but laugh during his final scene.

UrbanDandy

Oct 25, 2017
Overall, I felt this season was too ambitious. I never really got Gaetano's character. His backstory didn't really help endear him to me. If Oreatta would have been Josto's primary agent of chaos, the season would have been better for it. Man, I wanted to like Rock in this role, but something was a bit off. I know he was trying to be the gangster with some morals, but at every turn, he kept getting sidelined. I knew with the setting, Loy was not going to win this war. I think it would have been best instead of Chris Rock, the showrunners would have cast someone new, like they did with Allison Tolman from season 1.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
I said after a couple of episodes that I don't think Rock was suitable for that role and that final episode cemented my opinion. I wanted to do nothing but laugh during his final scene.
I liked both Rock and Schwartzman in this season because they both showed different ways to be a boss and leader than being a larger-than-life, intimidating presence dripping with machismo like a Brando or Pacino. Their characters both ultimately failed in very Fargo ways, but I think their performances both succeeded. They were very esoteric and unlike most organized crime heads previously depicted but both commanded respect in their own way

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
As a whole, that was an incredibly weak season compared to what came before it, even if it's still better than most shows out there. That finale cemented how Chris Rock was incredibly miscast as Loy. I get that Fargo's whole point is casting people against type. It's worked out amazingly before, and worked out really well this season with both Schwarzman (who actually elevates Josto by being kinda perfect for that kind of role) and Buckley. Rock really spends the whole show feeling like he's constantly struggling to not break character and default to his usual schtick.

Also, as much as I liked the one twist, I didn't care much for how it was handled. It really feels like they didn't trust the audience to connect the dots, despite it being the single most obvious twist since Jon Snow.

Was nice seeing Bokeem again, though

I really hope Fargo gets at least one more season, because it'd be a bummer if this was the final word on the series.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Waited for this to finish first, is this as good as S1 and S2 or nah

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Chris Rock is a horrible dramatic actor and this season was too long by half. Wario was the only character I truly enjoyed, and he was done in by a pratfall. Go open a vineyard or something, Noah Hawley. You need a break.

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
tbh though, its 2 relatively dud seasons in a row with very poor ratings for S4. Maybe it's time to hang up their hats unless they can somehow bring it back to the greatness of S1/S2...but I would not be suprised to see FX pull the plug on it

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd give it a solid 3/5, but I don't see them continuing with the series. At least it kind of washed the terrible taste of season three out of my mouth.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Unlike the Season 3, I could finish this one, but it was all over the place and took itself way too seriously.

The thing I can't decide now is if Chris Rock was better or worse than Marion Cotillard in that scene. Tough shit.

UrbanDandy

Oct 25, 2017
While we're at season 3, from where I view it, it seems the reason why it ranks low for some is because I think Hawley and co made it too cerebral. Plus even with the star power of Ewan mcGregor, most of the other character's didn't click for some people.

Sadsic

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I liked season 3 more than this season (mostly for the part where Swango and Wrench are the main characters), but this season to me actually has the best cast by far, it just does not get utilized well whatsoever. It felt like to me the whole Zelmare/Swanee/Deafy part should've been cut from the plot and to just focus on the remaining characters more heavily

I actually generally like this season, but the thinness of the characters really makes it the weakest season for me

I also actually felt like Chris Rock filled into the role pretty well as it went on though, he didn't have the regular "magnetism" of a character like that, but I felt like he was actually a pretty solid character by the end of the season and seeing the reunion in the last episode with him was actually quite joyous and beautiful

erekiddo

Electric
Oct 25, 2017
It's a bit uneven, but I enjoyed it a lot. I was more invested in this one compared to Season 3. S3 felt like it veered too much into fan service.

My ranking: S2 >> S1 >> S4 >> S3

Perfect ranking, matches mine as well.

Season 2 was near perfect. Great story, great cast and oozing with style. It really was Fargo firing on all cylinders. Hanzee was a terrifying villain.

Season 1 had Martin Freeman and Billy Bob Thornton. It'd be my number one if S2 weren't as strong. Lorne Malvo was the most pathological, manipulative villain I've seen. Fantastic casting.

Season 4 had an excellent cast of characters but an overwhelming story. There were far too many concurrent storylines happening at once to the point I never really was able to get invested into a character.

Season 3 was good but felt almost experimental. It was nice to see Wrench again, and Varga was a pretty interesting villain, but otherwise it was a bit out there.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
Just wanted to pop in and say I finally subbed to Hulu (the BF deal) and am catching up on Fargo as my priority. If season 3 and 4 are anywhere near as good as season 1 and so far season 2 (halfway through) then I look forward to it!

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty standard and non-exciting finale. During this season I thought it's better than 3 but now I don't know.
S3 had a slow start but I think its highs were better than S4 which imo had less highs but overall was more... "polished"?.

Chris Rock's final scene was fucking awful, completely prevented any dramatic impact it supposed to had. Satchel's reaction was also super weird, felt like he was seconds away from spouting "...alright" and going back in the house.
I'm completely fine with Fargo ending here, don't see future seasons reach the first two's greatness.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
I guess I'm in the minority because this was a close second to being (if not actually being) my favorite season so far. I've seen a lot of contrasting opinions all over online so it seems divisive that's for sure lol.