• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
šŸ
That "optimized for Series X" sticker looks like garbage. The mention of Series X in the corner should be enough.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
People on this forum can be such condescending jerks when it comes to these kinds of relentless pile-ons. Especially ironic when it's clear that about 70% of you didn't even comprehend what the thread was about.

The OP is mentioning that the PS4 case should make some mention of it having a free next-gen upgrade, like the Xbox case is doing loudly and proudly, to avoid consumer confusion. This is almost certainly why Microsoft are pushing the "Smart Delivery" moniker as strongly as they are in the first place: to build broad consumer awareness of what it means.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
OP: Sony should add a sign or something on the box to let people know you can get the PS5 aversion for free

You and 90% of this thread: Didnt bother to read
That's part of their post, but not all of it. "PS4 version without free upgrade" implies they didn't know

The "clueless parent" narrative has always been dumb, people who care can do a 5 second Google search

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
That's part of their post, but not all of it. "PS4 version without free upgrade" implies they didn't know

This is the quote: "no sign of a ps5 version for free for the upgrade.... and hard for moms and dads who are clueless to figure that out at retail..."

He means a literal sign on the box. Read his post and comments again. No wonder OP peaced out.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
People on this forum can be such condescending jerks when it comes to these kinds of relentless pile-ons. Especially ironic when it's clear that about 70% of you didn't even comprehend what the thread was about.

The OP is mentioning that the PS4 case should make some mention of it having a free next-gen upgrade, like the Xbox case is doing loudly and proudly, to avoid consumer confusion. This is almost certainly why Microsoft are pushing the "Smart Delivery" moniker as strongly as they are in the first place: to build broad consumer awareness of what it means.

Then maybe the thread title needs to be reflect wtf they are saying instead of being a clickbait running sentence.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
That title has to be on purpose lol. Seriously, y'all are way overanalyzing this shit.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP: Sony should add a sign or something on the box to let people know you can get the PS5 aversion for free

You and 90% of this thread: Didnt bother to read past the title

OP states:

which means $49 and you are good to go on any current gen xbox and the future Gen Series X and probably the Series S about to be revealed....

how is the PS version any different?

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought it was silly that Microsoft now has two different marketing terms for "buy game on one platform, get on another" but I guess it works.

There's "Play Anywhere" for Xbox console and PC cross-buy, and now there's "Smart Delivery" for Xbox console generation cross-buy.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully that's a sticker on the plastic cover than on the case itself? Because that shit is ugly.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
This is the quote: "no sign of a ps5 version for free for the upgrade.... and hard for moms and dads who are clueless to figure that out at retail..."

He means a literal sign on the box. Read his post and comments again. No wonder OP peaced out.

I read it before responding and even the OP itself is worded as if they don't know there's an upgrade though, to the point where they say it would be good for Sony to copy Microsoft on this 'initiative'.

The title is clickbait if OP knew already and the post itself is really poorly worded anyway.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
OP states:

how is the PS version any different?

Let's break it down:

"Nice to see that the Xbox Version for current gen has the optimized for Series X and Smart Delivery label on the box front and center... which means $49 and you are good to go on any current gen xbox and the future Gen Series X and probably the Series S about to be revealed...."

OP is saying Xbox version has the smart delivery label front and center, and then he explains what the label means.

"It would be nice for Playstation to add something to their box or copy Microsoft on their initiative... as of now, no sign of a ps5 version for free for the upgrade.... and hard for moms and dads who are clueless to figure that out at retail..."

Here he is talking about retail, and how it might be able to help people buying the game realize you can get a free upgrade on PS5.

Take a second. Read everything. Use context. This thread isn't what 90% of you thought it was about.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

The title is legitimately terrible in this case and yes the OP goes into more detail but I think both things can be alleviated. The amount of Smart Delivery will Sony have it too just asking questions stuff is pretty tired already. We need to stop falling for marketing tactics. Microsoft obviously weighed the pros and cons of such a stance and found that it would do their brand additional good to market this as if they're "the good guys." It's a pattern with Microsoft since Phil Spencer took over. In some cases they are indeed the good guys (one that comes to mind is the adaptive controller). But in a lot of cases they're just another company doing PR. This forum and people in general need to do better at not taking the bait in these cases.

Oct 27, 2017
I actually didn't know that PS4 to PS5 upgrades would be only for disc versions of games. Is there any technical reason to do so? Can't just Ubisoft (or whoever) check that I have the game on my PSN account and let me download the PS5 version, just like with the physical copy?

Sorry if this has been answered. I wasn't considering jumping into next gen as soon as it releases, though I'm eyeballing a digital-only PS5 now, but I don't know much about the systems in place for this stuff.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
I actually didn't know that PS4 to PS5 upgrades would be only for disc versions of games. Is there any technical reason to do so? Can't just Ubisoft (or whoever) check that I have the game on my PSN account and let me download the PS5 version, just like with the physical copy?

Sorry if this has been answered. I wasn't considering jumping into next gen as soon as it releases, though I'm eyeballing a digital-only PS5 now, but I don't know much about the systems in place for this stuff.
Digital purchases upgrade too if stated. Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed, and Far Cry will be a PS4 -> PS5 upgrade for free for both physical and digital buyers.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

If you have the digital version you'll be good. Same concept.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Is there going to be a retail PS5 version?

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Well. Depends on how they handle it. If the message they put out is: 'As long as you have the ps4 disc, you have the ps5 digital version as well' then there's issues.

Say you're done with the disc and you sell it off. That would mean you could still play the game digitally on your ps5. Should the license then be revoked for you if the one you sold it to tries to play it on ps5 digitally as well?

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Well. Depends on how they handle it. If the message they put out is: 'As long as you have the ps4 disc, you have the ps5 digital version as well' then there's issues.

Say you're done with the disc and you sell it off. That would mean you could still play the game digitally on your ps5. Should the license then be revoked for you if the one you sold it to tries to play it on ps5 digitally as well?

He's asking if the digital version will have an upgrade path. Not if the physical version will grant you a digital copy.

Oct 25, 2017
It says right there on the PSN store pages of the games that you get both PS4 and PS5 versions of the games when you buy the digital version.

Oct 27, 2017
Digital purchases upgrade too if stated. Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed, and Far Cry will be a PS4 -> PS5 upgrade for free for both physical and digital buyers.
If you have the digital version you'll be good. Same concept.

Oh, thanks. That's a relief. Some posters were saying things like "imagine getting an all-digital console" or something along those lines, so I got worried for a second.

My plans to buy the all-digital PS5 live on!

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017

The disc is required to be in the PS5 console.

IF I LEND OR RESELL A PHYSICAL GAME I'VE UPGRADED, CAN I STILL PLAY THE UPGRADED VERSION I INSTALLED ON MY PLAYSTATION 5?
If you lend or resell your physical copy of the Ubisoft title that you've upgraded to PlayStation 5, you will not be able to play the game on your PlayStation 5 or PlayStation 4 system. For physical games to be played, the disc must be inserted into the tray of your console (for current generation or next generation consoles).

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I always thought it was silly that Microsoft now has two different marketing terms for "buy game on one platform, get on another" but I guess it works.

There's "Play Anywhere" for Xbox console and PC cross-buy, and now there's "Smart Delivery" for Xbox console generation cross-buy.

I haven't seen the "Play Anywhere" lingo in a while (granted I haven't really looked). I'd guess "Smart Delivery" is meant to supplant it.

The title is legitimately terrible in this case and yes the OP goes into more detail but I think both things can be alleviated. The amount of Smart Delivery will Sony have it too just asking questions stuff is pretty tired already. We need to stop falling for marketing tactics. Microsoft obviously weighed the pros and cons of such a stance and found that it would do their brand additional good to market this as if they're "the good guys." It's a pattern with Microsoft since Phil Spencer took over. In some cases they are indeed the good guys (one that comes to mind is the adaptive controller). But in a lot of cases they're just another company doing PR. This forum and people in general need to do better at not taking the bait in these cases.

Has nothing to do with "falling for" anything. The OP's point is that Microsoft is making it clear that your purchase includes a free next-gen upgrade, whereas it's not clear with Sony, and he's concerned that it could create a lack of clarity with consumers.

I'm not even defending the quality of this thread; I'm honestly kinda tired of hearing about Smart Delivery, because it's not a huge deal. But I'm more annoyed by the utter lack of kindness and charity that exists on this forum when it comes to actually reading what someone is trying to say, and maybe even just giving a thread a pass if you think it's a dull, played out subject. Instead of 50 people swooping in to make them feel like shit and laugh at them.

Starlite

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine any publisher providing Smart Delivery on Series X is gonna make sure to do the same on PS5 as well. To try and sell a PS4 version without a free upgrade would just bring them a lot of ill-will to the PlayStation fanbase for no significant gain.

Is there going to be a retail PS5 version?
Almost certainly, it just seems like retail PS5 games aren't listed right now. Cross-gen Xbox titles skirt by because the current and next-gen discs are one and the same. Xbox Series X exclusive titles aren't listed either.

Last edited:

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Has nothing to do with "falling for" anything. The OP's point is that Microsoft is making it clear that your purchase includes a free next-gen upgrade, whereas it's not clear with Sony, and he's concerned that it could create a lack of clarity with consumers.

I'm not even defending the quality of this thread; I'm honestly kinda tired of hearing about Smart Delivery, because it's not a huge deal. But I'm more annoyed by the utter lack of kindness and charity that exists on this forum when it comes to actually reading what someone is trying to say, and maybe even just giving a thread a pass if you think it's a dull, played out subject. Instead of 50 people swooping in to make them feel like shit and laugh at them.

We are concerned with different things. You're more optimistic than I am, I just don't see kindness and patience on the web in large amounts at all, so I've come to just expect that not to exist anywhere. There are a few havens that I go to when I do need that, but otherwise I just find the web to be an unforgiving place. Especially when it comes to video games.

I'm just tired of people on this forum and elsewhere being corporate bootlickers and that tends to bleed into my posts on any of these subjects. Your suggestions make sense though for sure.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017

You and 90% of this thread: Didnt bother to read past the title
If they do it the same as PS4 Pro, expect PS4 Pro Enhanced label at the back of the box.
daon8vwwbmoz.jpg

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Best guess is Sony has yet officially reveal their "upgrade free to PS5" stamp that will hopefully be added to all covers so people stop being confused. Sony moving very slow atm.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
If they do it the same as PS4 Pro, expect PS4 Pro Enhanced label at the back of the box.

No need to go crazy with labels like Xbox has since X1X.

That's fine.

I was merely trying to clarify what OP was saying because most people in this thread didnt bother trying to read his actual post.

Im not a fan of the smart delivery sticker myself, it would be better on the bottom left or bottom right imo.

I would prefer the bottom over the backside as well.

Deleted member 32973

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I'm sorry OP but thread title like this would be a huge potential to spread misinformation about no free ps4 upgrade who don't bother to open the thread

it seems you made it intentionally like this

it would be nice if you could edit it

Starlite

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
BTW OP, the whole "what will confused parents think" is a pretty garbage argument since what parent is gonna know what the hell "Smart Delivery" means on the box without needing to look it up themselves?

It's not like it'd matter, either. If their kid wants the game on PS4, they'll buy the PS4 version. They're not gonna go "oops, got the Xbox copy" because of a vague blurb on the box. They're not braindead.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Get it through your head, folks. There is no separate "next gen" version this time. In fact the only game I can think of that won't work on both gens that we know of is Miles Morales.

There's the Playstation version and the Xbox version. Simple.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
Get it through your head, folks. There is no separate "next gen" version this time. In fact the only game I can think of that won't work on both gens that we know of is Miles Morales.

There's the Playstation version and the Xbox version. Simple.
Miles Morales is PS 5 only.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
Thread premise and title are inaccurate, and as such the topic is locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.