• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
With the launch of Far Cry New Dawn, we're delighted to see an increase in the activity on Far Cry 5.

We'd therefore like to take the opportunity to fix a few minor graphical issues.

The update size for each platform is:
- PS4: 8.5 GB;
- Xbox One: 9.5 GB;
- PC: 9 GB.

See you in Hope County!
https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/2035021-Patch-Notes-Title-Update-12-–-April-9th

Coincidentally I picked this up a couple of days ago too, and having a lot of fun so far as a quasi newbie to the series (only played the very first, very different Far Cry before).

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They have yet to design a hotter character than Vaas so all updates until they do so are invalid

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Far Cry is a series I should and want to like but I just don't? Has it improved massively since 4?

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Nice, I recently started playing Far Cry 5. These bumps in activity from subsequent releases are real.

kafiend

Oct 25, 2017
Far Cry is a series I should and want to like but I just don't? Has it improved massively since 4?

I played and liked most Far Cry in the order they released except for 4. It really put me off the series for some reason. Far Cry 5 arrived and turned up the Crazy to 11 and I had a lot of fun with it again.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Even with the price difference, Far Cry 5 is an infinitely better game than New Dawn. New Dawn's world is even more uninspiring than 5's despite being based on it. The missions in New Dawn are boring. 5 has really fun and creative missions.

If you're going to get one, go with 5. New Dawn is the first FC game I haven't really found any enjoyment in.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'm a massive fan of the franchise and Far Cry 5 is, in my opinion, a downgrade from Far Cry 4 in the gameplay department and only a minor improvement in the narrative department. New Dawn is often getting slighted for its "RPG mechanics" but it's honestly all perfunctory and it plays like a spruced up version of Far Cry 5 with a more focused narrative.

If you're looking for a "massive" overhaul, the series hasn't had one of those for a long, long while. It's still very much the same type of game you got with Far Cry 4, just nipped, tucked and tightened in a few key areas.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
You have to put a few hours into them to start getting all the abilities and upgrades that make the combat fun. I really hope they improve the pacing of the start of the games in the future, it's been a consistent issue since 3.

I did it with 3, 4, and Primal, but 5 was where I said I just can't put up with the opening hours of these games anymore. You start off so weak and it just takes too long to start getting to the point where it feels like a Far Cry game and not just any other shooter set in an open world.

There's really something to be said for the Blood Dragon-style of compressing the 40 hour Far Cry slog into a 10 hour package that starts fun and never lets up. Give that one a shot, maybe. It really trims the fat and just gives you sort of a playable montage video of the most exciting parts of the series.

Last edited:

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Good. Both were really fun games. Two of the tiny amount of games I've actually enjoyed in the last year, and beat willingly.

I want more Far Cry.