• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And that's exactly the line for me. I'm not buying this game, even though I did kinda plan to pick it up later.

Well then problem solved. You exercised your right of choice as a consumer and the people who don't take offense to this can play and enjoy the game.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
THAT is what is over the line for you, OP?

Nothing else in the game?

Seriously?

RedFury

Oct 27, 2017
I have no leg to stand on in this argument, my favorite franchise is Monster Hunter. However reading one of the posts in this thread about FC5 side missions involving animals...that's fucked. Whoever wrote those "gags" should have their freezers checked.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Don't tell your wife to check how many real life dogs police shoot daily.

Well we all know you can kill in a game anything and anybody but when something is cute thats the fucking line right there.

Also the dogs in this game are
not real.
The dogs not being real doesn't stop his wife from feeling bad about it. Bad argument.

I don't care personally but I understand why people would.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Interesting. Judging by some of the replies here, some people would be apparently fine with child rape and torture in FC, too, because "it's just pixels" and "that's post-apocalypse for you".

Funny how you fail to grasp violence against animals is a trigger for many people.
I'm fine with torture in FC, child rape is illegal to be depicted but I don't think the theme/topic itself should be off-limits.

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
Press F for the dog pixels
pay-respec-press-f-to-pay-respects-f-rip-gabe-12685389.png

Oct 26, 2017
Watch_Dogs 2 and Division 2(demo) had things with dogs too.

In one mission in WD2 you had to go to this building where people were actually having dog fights. Best believe I murdered every single one of the people that attended the place. It's only a game, I know, but I despise dogfighting.

Division 2 has a part as well where you see dead dogs on the ground in what clearly was a fighting area/arena for them.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Dangerous human enemies have a much higher ability to kill you in a real brutal and quick way than animals. So it's kind of fair you are supposed to defend yourself and able to do similar things to them. Not to mention most games nowadays give you the option to sneak your way through a big part of the campaign without killing anyone.

What about the boss Sif in Dark Souls? That doggie killed me at least 15 times.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I have no leg to stand on in this argument, my favorite franchise is Monster Hunter. However reading one of the posts in this thread about FC5 side missions involving animals...that's fucked. Whoever wrote those "gags" should have their freezers checked.
This actually reminds me a lot of the discussion around the launch of Monster Hunter World, with a lot of people having empathy for the monsters.

Even though those were super-fantastical creatures with little basis in reality, I honestly understood those comments more just because of how well realize the monsters' limping and whimpering were. I'd imagine the Far Cry dogs die pretty quickly.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Monster Hunter is pretty sadistic, and it was #5 on the forum GOTY list.

"We hit that lizard so hard that now it's laying on its back having a seizure! Time to wail on it while he is defenseless!"

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
It's a game about horrible people doing horrible things.
Devs sometimes push certain things to make the player feel anger or something but I don't feel like this is "way over the line".

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
I mean, I love dogs - I have two of my own who I deeply love - but I really don't have much of a problem to kill a dog in a videogame if it's attacking me.. I'm more disturbed by people who say that when they hear a real life story where innocent people (and dogs for example ) were harmed - or worse - they say stuff like:"I don't care for the people, but did the dogs make it safe out of there?" - that's just really disturbing behavior and mental state in my opinion

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
You've always been able to kill innocent animals in Far Cry, at least since Ubi took over the IP. Much of the time to get materials to upgrade your stuff. Primal had way more animals than people.

I don't see the logic in saying killing virtual humans is fine, but killing virtual animals is not. It's a game. Both those things are clearly wrong in real life, though I would note that killing humans is, in fact, much more serious than animals.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Making it easier and easier not to buy this game.

The whole bomb dogs things is too fucking horrendous.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I'll never understand being more sensitive to violence against animals than humans. So strange.

And the "I'm going to eat a puppy mwahaha" is such a weak and cliche way of being like "Look, I'm a bad guy!"

Deleted member 7450

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I get why people would get upset/uncomfortable/triggered/traumatized.

But the way some people go about it is just... *sigh*

Proposed solution: Email/Tweet/Contact devs about putting disclaimers/scene skips/trigger warnings/gore or sensitive material toggles.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Come on people, it's not that weird to be put off by animal violence. Yes, even when that same context involves human violence as well. For many people there is a different emotional response between portrayal of the two, and that does not make one a hypocrite.

Shitting on OP and his wife is completely uncalled for.

Grow some fucking empathy.

RedFury

Oct 27, 2017
This actually reminds me a lot of the discussion around the launch of Monster Hunter World, with a lot of people having empathy for the monsters.

Even though those were super-fantastical creatures with little basis in reality, I honestly understood those comments more just because of how well realize the monsters' limping and whimpering were. I'd imagine the Far Cry dogs die pretty quickly.
For sure that stuff is pretty much a health bar. However if what I read was true forcing a bull to fuck a cow only to blow them up, taking drugs and beating a pigs head in, etc. Like who the fuck actually thought those were good missions, or thought those would be fun for a game?
Edit: This is FC5 too, not "post-apoc".

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I take more offense to the title of the article.
I assume the OP also had an issue with the killing of other animals in previous far cry games, some who were endangered?

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I love dogs - I have two of my own who I deeply love - but I really don't have much of a problem to kill a dog in a videogame if it's attacking me.. I'm more disturbed by people who say that when they hear a real life story where innocent people (and dogs for example ) were harmed - or worse - they say stuff like:"I don't care for the people, but did the dogs make it safe out of there?" - that's just really disturbing behavior and mental state in my opinion

A very selfish one, because it's easier to love and be loved by a dog, hence:

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Making it easier and easier not to buy this game.

The whole bomb dogs things is too fucking horrendous.

Let's be real, you didn't need to see this "news" in order to have an excuse not to buy the game. You probably already had a laundry list of reasons, some valid, some not, and you saw this information and decided to use it to publicly announce that you were finally pushed over the edge, and are now passing on the game.

Miracle Ache

Oct 25, 2017
Is this your first post-apocalyptic game, OP?

Interesting. Judging by some of the replies here, some people would be apparently fine with child rape and torture in FC, too, because "it's just pixels" and "that's post-apocalypse for you".

Funny how you fail to grasp violence against animals is a trigger for many people.

As someone who was raped as a child, I'm gonna have to tell you to kindly shut the fuck up with this bullshit false equivalency.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
It is a recurring issue with Far Cry and the reason I don't play these games anymore. It's not that there's violence towards animals, many games include them as enemies or hunting mechanics, it's the way it portraits and glorifies animal cruelty against completely innocent animals.

Far Cry 5 only encourages the player to be violent against humans when they are evil. It shows torturing people under a negative light. Yet, when it comes to animals, innocent, non aggressive animals, it wants you to torture them to death and then laugh.

It's fucking gross.

Stixitnu

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 9, 2018
Murdering hundreds of fictional people doesn't bother you but fictional dogs does?

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I agree that it's weirdly morbid for a game as whacky and flamboyant as Far Cry but come on, this series is built on inflicting massive amounts of cruelty to animals in the name of upgrading menial perks and items. I'm not sure why we're suddenly now drawing the line at dogs considering that dogs were basically the struggle meals of human civilization for thousands of years. It's only recently that we've even begun to question the notion of consuming the flesh of an animal.

Also, no ones forcing anyone to play this game. I wouldn't tell someone who was a victim of gun violence to "suck it up" if they found the gun violence of a game off putting. I'd simply tell them to find their entertainment elsewhere.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I mean, in a post apocalyptic event i would assume people would eat dogs. Divided on the dog c4 thing. Its the heels doing it, which is to make you hate them, but it might be overkill for many attached to dogs.