• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have to unlock the binoculars? The button is not doing anything for me right now...

Edit: Oh right it's a perk... I thought the perk was an upgrade at first.

Last edited:

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
It's a top tier weapon.

Oh okay. I guess it's a lot better than the level two shite I beat the game with. Then again, they were only bad against the bosses.

Do you have to unlock the binoculars? The button is not doing anything for me right now...

Edit: Oh right it's a perk... I thought the perk was an upgrade at first.

I naturally went to use them and couldn't too. By the time I unlocked them I was almost done the game and maybe used them once because I hadn't gotten back in the habit due to not having them.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
I make no apologies for it, I truly do believe Far Cry is my favorite FPS series of the past few years.
Just something about the formula, and it is no doubt a formula, that appeals to what I enjoy doing in an FPS.
Granted I have not encountered any of the boss fights yet, I am truly taking my time doing everything there is to do, but that is the thing. So many other games I hate the filler stuff. In Far Cry I thoroughly enjoyed it.
I was somewhat surprised when I found out 5 was my most played game last year on the X. Not fully, but I had no idea I had played it for as many hours as I did.
I will not be surprised this time around.
Best $40 I have spent on a game in quite some time.
Absolutely fucking enjoying it.

EDIT - I see the conversation above. I could not do it myself. The binoculars were my 2nd unlocked perk. I had to have them.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I make no apologies for it, I truly do believe Far Cry is my favorite FPS series of the past few years.
Just something about the formula, and it is no doubt a formula, that appeals to what I enjoy doing in an FPS.
Granted I have not encountered any of the boss fights yet, I am truly taking my time doing everything there is to do, but that is the thing. So many other games I hate the filler stuff. In Far Cry I thoroughly enjoyed it.
I was somewhat surprised when I found out 5 was my most played game last year on the X. Not fully, but I had no idea I had played it for as many hours as I did.
I will not be surprised this time around.
Best $40 I have spent on a game in quite some time.
Absolutely fucking enjoying it.

Don't apologize. There's a reason it's still around.

It's my favourite too, btw.

Norwegian_Imposter

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Since when does the ot not spoiler shit. Come on some people wanna discuss the game without having some things spoiled.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finished New Dawn last week. A great 8.0/10 game for me. Same as Far Cry 5. But still a point lower than what I gave Far Cry 3/4/Primal. World is beautiful. Gameplay and shooting mechanics is excellent. Story is fine but the antagonists are horrible. Good ending boss fight against them though and better than Far Cry 5. My main problem is that im not a fan of character creation in games in general because the character is basically fake and non-existent. If the created character is voiced like in GRW, then it can be at least good but the silent protagonist direction for the last two games is horrible. Just no interaction, no conversation, nothing. It's horrible. I hate it.

Wish Far Cry goes back to what it was before FC 5. Give me my preset voiced protagonist with a great antagonist, story, writing and side characters. Give me back my mini-map. Give me back my hunting, skinning of animals and crafting like it was. And yes, give me back towers. One per region/area/district. Give me better side quests, bounty hunting contracts, treasure hunts, treasure chests like in the previous games. Simply prefer Far Cry 4/Primal/3/Blood Dragon in that order over Far Cry 5 and New Dawn.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Huh, the quest journal is a bit weird... it never marked the follow-up of the New Eden questline (after your first visit) on my map so I brought the whole homebase up to level 3 before I realised I had to trigger the main story continuation myself. Just seemed like the game was running out of content with no resolution; now that I finally went back to it, the flow is a bit weird considering how well Prosperity is doing and how kitted out my character is.

I really like the new outpost system that lets you escalate difficulty on your own terms, even though it's very artificial in a narrative context.

Necrocorpse

Nov 17, 2018
London, UK
Nothing ground-breaking but pretty and the way it runs is pretty too. I think Far Cry would work better if it had a hero(ine) with name and the setting would change from anything between history and space, like a pulp fiction novel or something but I guess that would mean the whole series to be rewritten. Now it's like Aiden Pearce: The FPS . Lacking face and real persona. Would love to see more enemy personality and variety like Metal Gear Solid, more craziness instead of same humans with red shirts and rifles. But that's the Ubisoft way of making games: working on two games of the same series at once, focus groups and analyzing statistics & questionnaires and so on. Game's still fun and the gunplay is as good as ever as long as you take it as a generic arcade shooter and nothing more. If you played 5 recently I would wait at least a year before playing this. It still feels like I'm playing the same game again and I played FC5 when it launched.

Also editing out this bit later: their idea of post-apocalypse is to fill everything with grass and rust then add auroras to the sky. I actually like FC5 environments lot more. Haven't seen that much but from what I've seen game's uglier + boring in this sense that buildings are worn out wood shacks and filled with grass (altough the rendering and lighting itself is beautiful). Doesn't make as much sense: it's quite uninspired. If adding a saw launcher and filling every area with lot of vegetation makes the game "post apocalyptic", I think Ubisoft should re-think their approach of making sequels. I think I don't enjoy the game that much at all in the end, sadly. It's almost 1:1 to FC5 which is still very clear in my mind. Great shooting though.

Last edited:

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I don't necessarly mind the new weapon system but I really miss the ability to upgrade them with scopes or silencer or whatever....

Also, of all the FC games, this is the one it would make the most sense to duct tape a scope on your gun...

FerryF1

Feb 18, 2018
Game really needs an option to turn off film grain or whatever this effect is, looking up at the sky during the day reveals a distracting amount of noise in the picture quality.
Is that what its supposed to be? Just looks like a film grain filter cranked to 11 when I look at the blue sky.
Came here to ask if anybody noticed something off in the picture, and this is exactly what i meant.
In the sky and on surfaces (wooden houses and blue barrels for instance, very noticable in Prosperity) it is super grainy.
When i switch HDR OFF, the grainy stuff is gone... so it seems an HDR issue?

So no one except me and this other guy that has this weird grainy picture noise in the sky, when HDR is on?

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I notice how the low level shotgun has an awkward reload animation where your character kinda jams the shells into the gun with some resistance. I notice how the game bought back enemies carrying rusted versions of some weapons, an FC2 feature. This makes me think Ubi were possibly toying with weapon degradation but retooled it. I'd love to see a Primal-style Survivor Mode with those kind of mechanics.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Finished it today. For some reason, it felt shorter than Primal but I put about as many hours into it. I guess the more streamlined fast travel and vehicles help with the downtime.

The story, simple as it is, worked well although I expected more of a revelation around the characters of Mickey and Lou. The ultimate fate of the Junior Deputy from Far Cry is handled well and the whole game is a nice bookend to that somewhat unsatisfactory experience.

On the whole, I enjoyed this more than Far Cry 5 because of a tighter experience, a better paced story, a more engaging world and a more balanced mix of grimdark and wackiness.

I would like the series to innovate its emergent systems more - like bad guys re-taking and rebuilding outposts in real time and un-intercepted convoys hardening their destinations. They could also take a page out of Odyssey's mercenary system and have procedurally generated boss-level NPCs hunting you.

At very least, bring back the voiced protagonist and proper weapon / vehicle modding.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I want them to keep the character creator, but have it voiced so it has at least some personality. I like 5 and New Dawn so much better than previous games because I can play a female character - even if I don't see her that often.

WieDerrickWie

Jul 4, 2018
Seems really weird they lock your gender choice in the character creator yet you have no voice and characters hardly ever refer to you as a he or she and there's no consequence for picking one over the other.
AC Odyssey I understand why but I don't get it here.

Oct 25, 2017
Actually enjoying the game so far, which kind of surprises me considering the word on it isn't all that hot, but I'd like to know something:

When do you get access to "super powers"

I just did the mission where you get the
book from Joseph
, and I am already well on my way to a level 3 weapons bench, so I feel like I'm already half way through the game, or more. Maybe it was a mistake on their part to leave that stuff until so late?

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Actually enjoying the game so far, which kind of surprises me considering the word on it isn't all that hot, but I'd like to know something:

When do you get access to "super powers"

I just did the mission where you get the
book from Joseph
, and I am already well on my way to a level 3 weapons bench, so I feel like I'm already half way through the game, or more. Maybe it was a mistake on their part to leave that stuff until so late?

You're close.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm having a tough time getting good performances out of the game (I have an i5-8400 with a GTX1080). I get around 60fps the vast majority of the time but even when I'm at 60, somehow the game still doesn't feel super smooth?

Not sure how to explain it but it's weird.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Gonna hopefully beat this game tomorrow. Just need to do a few weapon upgrades and I'll be ready to take on the final few missions.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Currently getting back into the series with 4, already bought Primal and 5 in anticipation.

Don't know if I'm going to take a break after Primal or not becuase playing FC games in a row is quite the gauntlet.

The DLC for 5 looks amazing, its a shame reviews seems kind of lacking for them. Seems like they tried to make three different Blood Dragons when they should have just focused on making one of the three awesome concepts but thats just from a distance, obviously got awhile before I get to them myself.

Of course post apocalyptic is my favorite genre so looking forward to finally getting my hands on New Dawn down the long winding road here.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Finished it. The game itself was good, it was basically more FC5 with an interesting "twist" in the last quarter or so. The added RPG mechanics ended up not being that big of a deal, but precisely because of that I just don't see the point.... getting rid of weapon customization in favour of leveled weapons was a mistake. Pls undo.

The story? Didnt care for it. Which is a shame because I'm one of those people that absolutely love FC5's narrative despite the stupidity of the capture mechanic. The new characters were uninteresting. Honestly, Mickey and Lou would probably have been fine as villains if they actually get you know, some character development. But there's one tiny thing about them, and that's pretty much at the end too. I get that "charismatic wacky villains" are Far Cry's thing but this game was bascially too short for this IMO.

What annoys me is that you're also clearly meant to care about Rush, but even if you every single side content in the game, you don't really see him in more than like, what, 3 cutscenes? So yeah, I dunno. I wish the story was just more focused, or longer to allow characters to breathe more.

FC5 is a 8.5/10 for me, ND is probably a 6. Now with that out of the way, I have one wish for the next Far Cry. Better AI. Seriously, the AI in these games is just way too janky. It didn't use to be that big of a problem in the earlier games because there were rarely any friendly npc's around so if you saw someone you knew to shoot them. But in FC5 and ND, friendly npc's constantly spaz out, go in attack stance or run away for no reason, stop in their tracks because you go a tiny bit further away from them than you'd like.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
So much for my relaxing boat ride. I ran over this guy and his head got stuck in the bow. I continued on, but blood kept spraying up every few seconds and ruined the moment.

ZLhirN5.jpg

Currently getting back into the series with 4, already bought Primal and 5 in anticipation.

Don't know if I'm going to take a break after Primal or not becuase playing FC games in a row is quite the gauntlet.

The DLC for 5 looks amazing, its a shame reviews seems kind of lacking for them. Seems like they tried to make three different Blood Dragons when they should have just focused on making one of the three awesome concepts but thats just from a distance, obviously got awhile before I get to them myself.

Of course post apocalyptic is my favorite genre so looking forward to finally getting my hands on New Dawn down the long winding road here.

The DLC for 5 is very lackluster sadly. The only one that's sort of enjoyable is the Vietnam one because it has interesting atmosphere. Mars is boring, and the zombie one is just horde mode.

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know how the Uplay regions work? I'm tempted to grab a keg of Cdkeys, it's listed as Europe region but Australia usually gets lumped in with it. Any aussies on here care to chime in?

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
So i am only a little bit into the story and its ok, feels just like farcry 5 for better or worse. i can barely remember the map from that game so reusing the map doesnt seem like too big a deal here.

Not a huge fan of the rpg elements but its fairly light. Have to laugh when you encounter a skunk that takes more rounds of ammunition then a fully armored guy.

Who knew skunks were so armored.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
So i am only a little bit into the story and its ok, feels just like farcry 5 for better or worse. i can barely remember the map from that game so reusing the map doesnt seem like too big a deal here.

Not a huge fan of the rpg elements but its fairly light. Have to laugh when you encounter a skunk that takes more rounds of ammunition then a fully armored guy.

Who knew skunks were so armored.

They're irradiated, hot pink, super skunks. Just go with it.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
What is going in the 4th slot on the first row in the weapon selection screen (when not using the wheel mode on PC)... It's on the right of the blow torch.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What is going in the 4th slot on the first row in the weapon selection screen (when not using the wheel mode on PC)... It's on the right of the blow torch.
That is where the fishing rod goes, I believe? I don't have the blowtorch, but I assume the order is Fist, Melee, Blowtorch, Fishing Rod. (Slots 5, 6, 7, 8)

Deleted member 50735

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Goddam, the wife and I have been playing this game for a while now and we JUST realized you can upgrade the Gold weapons.

Pretty awesome.
Yep and all the other weapons too. As annoyingly there is no weapon modification, if you like a weapon as I do from lower tiers because of a scope, then you can grind and upgrade those too. I have a tier 2 LMG with 22 levels of upgrades at the moment.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Does anyone know how the Uplay regions work? I'm tempted to grab a keg of Cdkeys, it's listed as Europe region but Australia usually gets lumped in with it. Any aussies on here care to chime in?

I believe region-specific keys are activation-restricted, with Eastern European keys in particular being language-restricted also. (Side-note: This is no longer the case with the Steam versions of Uplay games.) I pre-ordered The Division 2 from GamersGate BR and had no issues after activating the keys with a VPN -- the beta defaulted to English and I had a ~70ms ping (i.e. I was clearly not routed to a South American server).

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Gotta admit, despite worrying that this was going to be redundant (I loved FC5) it's been a blast and while it is most assuredly more Far Cry what's here is choice and addicting.

Deleted member 50735

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Who else loves some of the sounds in this game? Not only do guns sound great, but whenever I hear the plane to do its drop, it still catches me out and I think its a real plane flying over my house!

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How do you get more expeditions? I already did the first one three times, but there are no new ones popping up.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Who else loves some of the sounds in this game? Not only do guns sound great, but whenever I hear the plane to do its drop, it still catches me out and I think its a real plane flying over my house!

Most of the sound effects are pretty good. It's the ambient audio while exploring that I find a bit weak.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
5 was one of the glitchiest game I played last year and this is no different. So many times NPCs just walk into walls preventing me from progressing.

"Get back to mission zone!"

I'm right next to the NPC?

"You failed because you went to far!"

I was literally by the NPC that said follow so and so.

And trying to do co op missions? Enjoy making your partner teleport to you throughout because the passenger seat is apparently restricted to the NPC.

Cmon ubi.

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
The game is so good up until the last two missions/boss fights.
Agreed. Overall I enjoyed it way more than 5, but they do end up dropping the ball.

It also drives me crazy when a game goes out of its way to make the antagonists
absolutely despicable, but then fail to deliver any kind of satisfying payoff when you defeat them. Lou is a repulsive sadist who absolutely revels in cold-blooded murder and makes a small child hold a live grenade, who wets himself in fear. After beating her and Mickey in a terrible, overly long battle fueled by plot armor, she pretty much gets to peacefully go to sleep. What a toothless death for such a horrid person.

This certainly isn't the only game guilty of this, but the Far Cry games bungle it over and over.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Can you not stealth outposts with companions anymore?

In FC5, my companion wouldn't open fire until I did, which allowed me to at least attempt a stealth approach, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. Both the first girl and doggo went hostile straight away.