• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Reading some of the comments, it almost sounds like this game isn't just a reskin of Far Cry 5, which i liked, but almost a year later STILL feel burnt out on.

Maybe I'll have to give it a shot.

But be serious guys, is it just a reskin of 5?

it is a reskin but it has its own flavour, it is more arcadey and stripped off the fat alot. and it is more colourful.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
How do I upgrade my companions?
In the menu where you upgrade Prosperity. Its the tab to the left of the map tab in your menu. Companion upgrades are dead center I think. I think there is also a training area/outdoor gym looking thing within the walls of the base you can walk up to and upgrade.

Shortt Sirket

Oct 26, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
My biggest issue is that this game is not even remotely designed to be played Co-Op. The wife and I have been running through it and any mission with a vehicle is some bullshit. There is one mission that gives you a 2 seater plane for both of us and the (required) mission ally. So I had to figure out a way to balance on the plane so my wife and NPC could do the mission.

There are a few missions that are just like this, it is like nobody even tried to test it in CoOp.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I have to say that I really love that I could enhance my weapons. One of my final assault rifles ended up close to being 2x as strong as it is by default. Just wish it was easier to gather resources.

My biggest issue is that this game is not even remotely designed to be played Co-Op. The wife and I have been running through it and any mission with a vehicle is some bullshit. There is one mission that gives you a 2 seater plane for both of us and the (required) mission ally. So I had to figure out a way to balance on the plane so my wife and NPC could do the mission.

There are a few missions that are just like this, it is like nobody even tried to test it in CoOp.
I didn't even think about that. That is really silly of them. I had an AI companion that eventually met up with me again but with a human companion that must have been super annoying to get through. Another issue regarding co-op is that there is no matchmaking at all. Seems like it would be a good idea to have it at least for expeditions and outposts. There are challenges based around that after all.

Shortt Sirket

Oct 26, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
I have to say that I really love that I could enhance my weapons. One of my final assault rifles ended up close to being 2x as strong as it is by default. Just wish it was easier to gather resources.

I didn't even think about that. That is really silly of them. I had an AI companion that eventually met up with me again but with a human companion that must have been super annoying to get through. Another issue regarding co-op is that there is no matchmaking at all. Seems like it would be a good idea to have it at least for expeditions and outposts. There are challenges based around that after all.

I am also annoyed (but not surprised) that it is very similar to FC5 with how it does CoOp. Since she is the Host, she gets all the Cheevos and all the stuff but I only get supplies and weapons. So I have to play through the game again to get all my stuff if I want it.

I mean, it is better than nothing and we are having a blast with it, just some really dumb decisions.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I am also annoyed (but not surprised) that it is very similar to FC5 with how it does CoOp. Since she is the Host, she gets all the Cheevos and all the stuff but I only get supplies and weapons. So I have to play through the game again to get all my stuff if I want it.

I mean, it is better than nothing and we are having a blast with it, just some really dumb decisions.
Definitely. When I saw that list with all the "host only" caveats on the trophy it was obvious that they blew it with the co-op again. I know its harder to make it work for story missions and stuff but there are certain things that they could try and make work when playing co-op. I'm really hoping in the future they can iron that out

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Lmao that explains it then. I did it while on my way to the first Eden mission. Good to know that it's meant to be done afterwards, because it was endlessly frustrating lol. I ended up having to just throw melee weapons at most of the enemies. 😂

The same thing happened to me, had to do the right with just my fists and a bat - horrific gameplay right there. They clearly didn't think that through clearly with the mission structure.

The main missions are pretty bad overall, they're hardly a step up from Primals so far and that game barely even tried with them.

Shortt Sirket

Oct 26, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
Definitely. When I saw that list with all the "host only" caveats on the trophy it was obvious that they blew it with the co-op again. I know its harder to make it work for story missions and stuff but there are certain things that they could try and make work when playing co-op. I'm really hoping in the future they can iron that out

I just don't understand the "Host Only" achievements, it seems pointless. I don't mind that the game treats me like her hired gun, that is fine. I think its stupid to punish the non host player but not giving them a majority of the achievements, even when they are doing the work.

The same thing happened to me, had to do the right with just my fists and a bat - horrific gameplay right there. They clearly didn't think that through clearly with the mission structure.

The main missions are pretty bad overall, they're hardly a step up from Primals so far and that game barely even tried with them.

This reminds me that some of the missions are actually broken to be too EASY in CoOp. We did that fisticuffs arena mission last night and it was a cakewalk with both of us in the ring. Like, we didn't even use a single health pack easy.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't understand the "Host Only" achievements, it seems pointless. I don't mind that the game treats me like her hired gun, that is fine. I think its stupid to punish the non host player but not giving them a majority of the achievements, even when they are doing the work.
I don't get it either. I can't recall how long this has been a problem. I want to say it started in 5 and maybe that this was developed so close that they didn't know how to resolve it. Even if that is correct, it is still an issue that needs to be addressed by Ubisoft in the future. They've got a mix of good and bad stuff they have done here and I'd like to see them continue to improve it. It really sucks that you'll have to replay the story on your side.

Shortt Sirket

Oct 26, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
I don't get it either. I can't recall how long this has been a problem. I want to say it started in 5 and maybe that this was developed so close that they didn't know how to resolve it. Even if that is correct, it is still an issue that needs to be addressed by Ubisoft in the future. They've got a mix of good and bad stuff they have done here and I'd like to see them continue to improve it. It really sucks that you'll have to replay the story on your side.

It is gonna be really weird to start my game with a few thousand barrels of Ethanol, max weapons and all the perks. lol

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Wait until you meet the late game bosses. Those terribly designed overpowered bullet sponges suck the fun out of the game within minutes, even on medium with every weapon class unlocked and a lot of upgraded perks.

Blood Dragon bow + Horatio. Done.

Is it possible to get enough Credits for free to buy all the guns available? Can't find an answer to this anywhere.

You can craft all weapons (with exception of Club, Deluxe items, and pre-order bonus) without credits. Credits are just a lazy way to get unlocks early.

Just beating Far Cry 5 starts you out with a L2 shotgun in New Dawn.

The game feels silent. Where's the great music far cry 5 had?

Do you have stream mode enabled?

Question to people who beat the game:
Did you guys choose to kill Mickey or spare her? I chose to spare her and went back and read the note she left. I'm curious if there is anything special if you kill her. I guess its hard to tell unless people compare their endings or watch videos. I thought for sure that sparing her would mean that Cap dies from a surprise attack or something.

I spared both her and Joseph. Didn't notice anything special.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Sharky says, "Please don't blow up the world, because you can't imagine how dissapointed I'll be that we did all this AGAIN for nothing."
Thanks game. Me too.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
The game didn't let me bring an NPC into the final fight. I could bring an NPC into the fight with the sisters but every NPC I tried (I didn't have Horatio unlocked then) pretty much died within seconds.

Horatio to tank the sisters to make them easy. Don't need Horatio for final boss. Just use bow to target weak point for a few thousand damage each time. Move in circles and craft health if needed.

Sisters were harder than final boss, IMO.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I wish they would do away with boss battles and come up with something else. FC is at its worst during boss battles because that's where you get pigeon holed into an arena - which is very un-FarCry. Remember Vaas? *groan
I liked the way they dealt with Pagan Min and that's it.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Do all treasure hunts (prepper stashes) not have those Far Cry coins in them? I feel like the game was giving them to me for every one i discovered and i thought to myself oh, maybe I can purchase some perk points on the game, but sure enough it seems like since I have gotten close to 250, the lowest amount needed for some additional perk points, I am not getting them anymore. If so I would not be surprised, that is some truly perfect shit to do, just incredibly disappointing at the same time.

With that said, 110% enjoying this game. It is more Far Cry yes, but it seems like a bit more streamlined of an experience from FC5. I feel like in 5 there was definitely more down time, which was fine for hunting and just exploring, but it feels like with this game I do not go very far without discovering something else or running across another pack of people to deal with.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I love that there's an achievement for Timber being your car buddy. Fuel trucks really ought to scale to the world state (+75 is bugger all), but damn if I don't hijack them, anyway, just to see boofhead's happy face.

20190218153439_1w2k3a.jpg

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Depends on what you mean by "reskin", which has seemingly become absolutely meaningless for the most part.
I had initially preordered it on Steam, then in anticipation jumped back into FC5. After five minutes I realized "wow, I do not want to keep playing this," and cancelled my preorder on that basis. Not because I disliked FC5, I just still was more than satisfied with the 30ish hours I put into it back in April, and the prospect of another one of those lost all luster nearly immediately.

I know it's the same map remixed, plus cool new visual flair. But if it's the same basic mechanics, I'm alright for now. Will definitely grab it on a sale or in a bundle, but have no plans to kick it to the top of my "to-play" list against what I'm currently working on (AC Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia, and Uncharted: Lost Legacy).

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
I love that there's an achievement for Timber being your car buddy. Fuel trucks really ought to scale to the world state (+75 is bugger all), but damn if I don't hijack them, anyway, just to see boofhead's happy face.
Where do you have to drive them in a capture outpost? I captured one and it took me to the only outpost I currently have captured, but it was not recognizing it no matter where I parked it. I wound up running over an NPC to have all of the people in the outpost turn on me and start firing. I had to drive back to Prosperity to get the Ethanol for it. Luckily it was the Outpost closest to there.

And yeah, was definitely a nice touch when I saw the achievement pop up for having Timber be your passenger.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The unicorn flamethrower fire and sound effect is cool but it's pretty crap as an actual weapon.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Where do you have to drive them in a capture outpost? I captured one and it took me to the only outpost I currently have captured, but it was not recognizing it no matter where I parked it. I wound up running over an NPC to have all of the people in the outpost turn on me and start firing. I had to drive back to Prosperity to get the Ethanol for it. Luckily it was the Outpost closest to there.

And yeah, was definitely a nice touch when I saw the achievement pop up for having Timber be your passenger.

The game can be a bit funny about how it detects the truck. A couple of times, I had to reverse out of the outpost and drive back in, and most recently I sort of inadvertently fell into an outpost and it still counted. If you see the "Exit vehicle" instruction at the top of the screen, then it'll count.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
The resource trucks are so bare bones. It can be hard enough to get them to stop at first but when you do there is practically nothing in them.

It is gonna be really weird to start my game with a few thousand barrels of Ethanol, max weapons and all the perks. lol
Lol you're going to be very overpowered for a long time

I spared both her and Joseph. Didn't notice anything special.
Really? Hm, I'm pretty happier with my choice then.

Horatio to tank the sisters to make them easy. Don't need Horatio for final boss. Just use bow to target weak point for a few thousand damage each time. Move in circles and craft health if needed.

Sisters were harder than final boss, IMO.
Sisters were easier for me than the last guy. I just couldn't place the shots well enough. He kicked my ass twice and there was another death where I accidentally deployed my wingsuit during a "leap of faith" movement and bashed my head gently on the side of the cave and died. I'm not too crazy about the boss battles in these games, especially when I'm trapped. Found the last boss way more difficulty than the sisters who were tough in their own right.

Where do you have to drive them in a capture outpost?
I only drove my truck like a few feet into my outpost and I got the ethanol when I stepped out of it. Maybe something went wrong with your delivery the first time you tried for some reason. Better that then getting blown up when you are not too far away after driving a long time.

EDIT:

People have mentioned using the Blood Dragon Bow but is there a reason to use it over the other bow? I think they have the same base damage except the Blood Dragon Recurve is less accurate, no? I decided on the other bow and started upgrading it.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had initially preordered it on Steam, then in anticipation jumped back into FC5. After five minutes I realized "wow, I do not want to keep playing this," and cancelled my preorder on that basis. Not because I disliked FC5, I just still was more than satisfied with the 30ish hours I put into it back in April, and the prospect of another one of those lost all luster nearly immediately.

I know it's the same map remixed, plus cool new visual flair. But if it's the same basic mechanics, I'm alright for now. Will definitely grab it on a sale or in a bundle, but have no plans to kick it to the top of my "to-play" list against what I'm currently working on (AC Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia, and Uncharted: Lost Legacy).
New Dawn is basically Far Cry 5+Far Cry Primal+Far Cry Instincts. So if you've had your fill of Far Cry 5, then probably hold off for a while. This is very much FC5: What Happens Next. But the game is different under the hood. It's FC5 with an actual progression curve. It's FC5 without forced abductions. (A major, major, major core design complaint from FC5.) It's FC5 with a fundamental shift towards crafting and resource gathering. In FC5, hunting was completely useless. Perhaps intentionally so. In New Dawn, much of what you do exploring the world is in service of gathering resources. The structure of the game is oriented around building a community, much like Primal. You gather people from around the world, and gather resources. The progression of the plot is gated behind this rebuilding.

The Expeditions provide a change of scenery. There's five of them, and they consist of a fairly large area where you gather resources, find the package, and exfil. You can do each one repeatedly and they get more difficult each time. This shift in locale is a breath of fresh air. I find myself pining for an entire Far Cry game set in Arizona.
farcrynewdawn2019-2-1t5jb1.jpg

Then there's the Far Cry Instincts connection. And I kinda feel like making a thread about this at some point, because a lot of people seem genuinely unaware. Possibly because basically nobody in the modern Far Cry fanbase played Instincts. (Just picture me shaking my fist in indignation.) Also it's not mentioned in any of the game's marketing, possibly because it's kind of a mild spoiler.

It kinda feels weird to treat it as a spoiler. It's kinda like treating the fact Crysis has a nanosuit as a spoiler. Or that Jack Carver gets injected with a strange serum designed to allow him to access long-lost animalistic abilities in FC: Instincts as a spoiler. Long story short, once you unlock the "Gift", the gameplay does change to be closer to Instincts. You can now double jump. Throwing baseball bats at people's heads hurts them. But throwing baseball bats at people's heads with a snarling fury hurts them... uh... significantly more, to put it mildly. Also you can cloak, because, well, Crysis did it.

New Dawn becomes a game where you can deploy your wingsuit on a gentle slope, thanks to double jumping, then drop down onto a group of enemies and punch the shit out of them. Flamethrower enemies? Simply leap over the heads to land behind them. There are some checks and balances in place. Melee isn't as ludicrously overpowered as it was in Instincts, and you can't just grab people like you could in Crysis. But this is basically the closest thing to both Instincts and Crysis I've seen in a long time.

I kinda wonder if New Dawn should have put more focus on this part of the game. Used it in marketing. New Dawn didn't have a specific mechanical hook to explain to people how it differed from FC5. Primal had "no guns". Maybe they should have introduced the abilities earlier in the story. (Although they do kinda screw up the progression curve a bit.) Some decent environmental destruction wouldn't go amiss, either. It's been missing from Ubi FC games since FC2. Without the environmental destruction it feels much closer to Instincts than Crysis. But the extremely high mobility is closer to Crysis than Instincts.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Dawn is basically Far Cry 5+Far Cry Primal+Far Cry Instincts. So if you've had your fill of Far Cry 5, then probably hold off for a while. This is very much FC5: What Happens Next. But the game is different under the hood. It's FC5 with an actual progression curve. It's FC5 without forced abductions. (A major, major, major core design complaint from FC5.) It's FC5 with a fundamental shift towards crafting and resource gathering. In FC5, hunting was completely useless. Perhaps intentionally so. In New Dawn, much of what you do exploring the world is in service of gathering resources. The structure of the game is oriented around building a community, much like Primal. You gather people from around the world, and gather resources. The progression of the plot is gated behind this rebuilding.

The Expeditions provide a change of scenery. There's five of them, and they consist of a fairly large area where you gather resources, find the package, and exfil. You can do each one repeatedly and they get more difficult each time. This shift in locale is a breath of fresh air. I find myself pining for an entire Far Cry game set in Arizona.
farcrynewdawn2019-2-1t5jb1.jpg

Then there's the Far Cry Instincts connection. And I kinda feel like making a thread about this at some point, because a lot of people seem genuinely unaware. Possibly because basically nobody in the modern Far Cry fanbase played Instincts. (Just picture me shaking my fist in indignation.) Also it's not mentioned in any of the game's marketing, possibly because it's kind of a mild spoiler.

It kinda feels weird to treat it as a spoiler. It's kinda like treating the fact Crysis has a nanosuit as a spoiler. Or that Jack Carver gets injected with a strange serum designed to allow him to access long-lost animalistic abilities in FC: Instincts as a spoiler. Long story short, once you unlock the "Gift", the gameplay does change to be closer to Instincts. You can now double jump. Throwing baseball bats at people's heads hurts them. But throwing baseball bats at people's heads with a snarling fury hurts them... uh... significantly more, to put it mildly. Also you can cloak, because, well, Crysis did it.

New Dawn becomes a game where you can deploy your wingsuit on a gentle slope, thanks to double jumping, then drop down onto a group of enemies and punch the shit out of them. Flamethrower enemies? Simply leap over the heads to land behind them. There are some checks and balances in place. Melee isn't as ludicrously overpowered as it was in Instincts, and you can't just grab people like you could in Crysis. But this is basically the closest thing to both Instincts and Crysis I've seen in a long time.

I kinda wonder if New Dawn should have put more focus on this part of the game. Used it in marketing. New Dawn didn't have a specific mechanical hook to explain to people how it differed from FC5. Primal had "no guns". Maybe they should have introduced the abilities earlier in the story. (Although they do kinda screw up the progression curve a bit.) Some decent environmental destruction wouldn't go amiss, either. It's been missing from Ubi FC games since FC2. Without the environmental destruction it feels much closer to Instincts than Crysis. But the extremely high mobility is closer to Crysis than Instincts.

Well fuck now I want to buy the game.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017

This is awesome.

Edit: I had no idea he only smiles if I hijack a vehicle. He won't do it just driving around in my own car. LOL

Last edited:

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Well fuck now I want to buy the game.

somehow, i like it a lot and i was really cold on Far Cry 5...i think the progression system in New Dawn is cool and they stripped a lot of the fat that was existent in FC5, it is more condensed as a result, even arcadey in some ways. i also like the more colourful map, somehow it feels a tiny bit like Blood Dragon to me, it is silly fun.

it does not reinvent the wheel but it has cool additions like the expeditions, the fact that you can do all outposts up tp 3 times where each "level up" it adds more alarms, enemies and stuff is nice as well.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
somehow, i like it a lot and i was really cold on Far Cry 5...i think the progression system in New Dawn is cool and they stripped a lot of the fat that was existent in FC5, it is more condensed as a result, even arcadey in some ways. i also like the more colourful map, somehow it feels a tiny bit like Blood Dragon to me, it is silly fun.

it does not reinvent the wheel but it has cool additions like the expeditions, the fact that you can do all outposts up tp 3 times where each "level up" it adds more alarms, enemies and stuff is nice as well.
Goddamn. It sounds like a great podcast game, which is what FC5 was to me.

Goddamn, I want it now. I might get tempted on GMG tonight...

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
People have mentioned using the Blood Dragon Bow but is there a reason to use it over the other bow? I think they have the same base damage except the Blood Dragon Recurve is less accurate, no? I decided on the other bow and started upgrading it.

I found it to be plenty accurate. Plus it is an Elite weapon. I didn't upgrade any weapons, so I was only doing the base 1200 damage with it, but it was a monster. Both in boss fights and in outpost clearing.

The Expeditions provide a change of scenery. There's five of them, and they consist of a fairly large area where you gather resources, find the package, and exfil. You can do each one repeatedly and they get more difficult each time. This shift in locale is a breath of fresh air.

Seven, not five.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio

I played Instincts.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I found it to be plenty accurate. Plus it is an Elite weapon. I didn't upgrade any weapons, so I was only doing the base 1200 damage with it, but it was a monster. Both in boss fights and in outpost clearing.
Yeah, those bows are insane. I'm starting to think that the accuracy rating is based on one of them having a scope. Aside from that I'm guessing the bows are identical. But the arrows might be better for Blood Dragon since they are easier to see?

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
In the menu where you upgrade Prosperity. Its the tab to the left of the map tab in your menu. Companion upgrades are dead center I think. I think there is also a training area/outdoor gym looking thing within the walls of the base you can walk up to and upgrade.

Thanks. I've said it a few times, but I'm liking this game much more than 5.

Last edited:

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The difference in accuracy is negligible at best. Just get whichever one you prefer the look of, they are both OP anyway. The blue arrows are just a lot easier to see which is handy to keep your ammo refreshed.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
The game can be a bit funny about how it detects the truck. A couple of times, I had to reverse out of the outpost and drive back in, and most recently I sort of inadvertently fell into an outpost and it still counted. If you see the "Exit vehicle" instruction at the top of the screen, then it'll count.
I only drove my truck like a few feet into my outpost and I got the ethanol when I stepped out of it. Maybe something went wrong with your delivery the first time you tried for some reason. Better that then getting blown up when you are not too far away after driving a long time.
Thanks for the replies.
I think either I just encountered a bug or the only thing I can think of is when I arrived at the Outpost there seemed to be some kind of commotion right outside of it. Not in it, but outside, so I wonder if it was considered under attack so I could not drop anything off?

Either way I salvaged it for some Ethanol, was on the 2nd level, so I will not know again for awhile at least. Have yet to liberate any other outposts.

And holyshit just read Dr. Caroll 's post and watched the video. I had ZERO clue one get's "the gift." I seriously think I am going to wind up enjoying this game more than FC5 for sure after seeing that. I pretty much think I already am, and I was one of the lone people it seems who loved 5. Played the hell out of it.

Then again i have literally been a Far Cry fan since Day 1. The first game on PC made me upgrade to a 6800 Ultra in 2004 and I have played every game, wether it was on the PC or a console exclusive, released since. It is one of my personal favorite series of all time despite the changes and ups and downs over the years and one or two forgettable titles. I just love the overall formula and approach.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Its fantastic. The distance you can get from the second jump is terrific. Made expeditions a lot better jumping over certain gaps or dodging away from enemies. Really great addition

Uh, so I just discovered that you don't need a parachute anymore. If you jump right before you hit the ground, you just land on your feet.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
I cheat engined the fuck outta this and it was 10x funner.

But in the end it made me wanna go back and play 5 again.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Uh, so I just discovered that you don't need a parachute anymore. If you jump right before you hit the ground, you just land on your feet.
Yep! Its even a trophy/achievement to do that from a certain height or higher. The only time I use the parachute is when I'm ending my wingsuit since I usually double jump into it. And I'm not sure if you can just close the wingsuit into the other jump

I find the first compound you come across to be way harder than it probably should be

Just the shooting in general feels bad to me
The first? Up towards the northwest of prosperity? I don't recall that one being too bad but keep in mind that your guns at the point kind of suck anyways. Might want to try sneaking around a bit at first or finding the right weapons to fit your playstyle better. I think a lot of the lower level guns have bad shooting.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The first? Up towards the northwest of prosperity? I don't recall that one being too bad but keep in mind that your guns at the point kind of suck anyways. Might want to try sneaking around a bit at first or finding the right weapons to fit your playstyle better. I think a lot of the lower level guns have bad shooting.
Yeah, it wasn't hard at all, I was just playing like an idiot. I momentarily forgot how to play far cry, haha

Oct 28, 2017
I hope the unlocks you get half-way through the campaign means Ubisoft is going to revive the Instincts sub-franchise. Jack Carver's back, baby. Believe it!

let me dream

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope the unlocks you get half-way through the campaign means Ubisoft is going to revive the Instincts sub-franchise. Jack Carver's back, baby. Believe it!

let me dream
Something that always rubbed me the wrong way about Instincts was how BITTER the PC fanbase was towards the game. To me, Far Cry had better shooting, AI, and level design. Instincts has rather floaty shooting and the AI is pretty dense compared to FC. But Instincts had better storytelling, and much more creative core game mechanics. (Plus some of the most beautiful videogame water I'd ever swum in.) Throwing rocks in Far Cry was absolutely useless. Throwing rocks in Instincts had genuine mechanical implications due to stealth that actually worked. You could place a trap on any tree, and lure enemies towards it with rocks. You could place claymores wherever you wanted, too. Plus you had Feral powers. It was a game that leaned hard into the exact same Predator fantasy that Crysis did a few years later.

Instead of seeing Instincts as a cool remake, a huge swathe of PC fans hated the game. Saw it as automatically inferior because it was designed for Xbox. Most of them never played it. They just hated it because consoles were Satan. People who suggested that Ubi port the game to PC over the years were met with cries of "Why would you want to play the inferior console version?"

It's a shame the 360 remaster was afflicted by weird deadzones and broken MP until several months after release, since that didn't help the game's reputation.