• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

d00d3n

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
The saw launcher is a pretty good weapon, IMO. High damage, bounces off surfaces. Depends on playstyle to some extent.
Thanks, I ended up keeping the saw launcher, but had to take break after reaching the new hope settlement. Looking forward to continue playing the game, unless they miraculously manage to fix the game-breaking crashes in metro.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
this game is too easy, even on the hardest difficulty i am stomping through the game, little bit disappointing

and all in all, well, it is more Far Cry 5 with a little paintjob and a hopefully better conclusion to the story than 5 had...

it is okay but nothing mindblowing. for the lower price tag it is funny so far i guess...

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
this game is too easy, even on the hardest difficulty i am stomping through the game, little bit disappointing
It would be nice if they added something like Primal's Survivor mode. Have you tried the higher level expeditions? They provide a pretty decent challenge, IMO. I feel like Far Cry as a series has kneejerked so incredibly hard away from Far Cry 1. When modern gamers play Far Cry 1, they complain that it's too difficult and frustrating. Yet a lot of the tension and combat tactics were driven by that brutal difficulty. It's been like this since Far Cry 2. FC2 has a certain sense of player hostility, but you can heal at any time, and if you die your buddy comes to save you. Nothing like FC1 where you're running around with no ammo machete slashing people to death with a sliver of health and no medkits in sight.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
It would be nice if they added something like Primal's Survivor mode. Have you tried the higher level expeditions? They provide a pretty decent challenge, IMO. I feel like Far Cry as a series has kneejerked so incredibly hard away from Far Cry 1. When modern gamers play Far Cry 1, they complain that it's too difficult and frustrating. Yet a lot of the tension and combat tactics were driven by that brutal difficulty. It's been like this since Far Cry 2. FC2 has a certain sense of player hostility, but you can heal at any time, and if you die your buddy comes to save you. Nothing like FC1 where you're running around with no ammo machete slashing people to death with a sliver of health and no medkits in sight.

will try one of the hard expeditions, only did 2 so far, they are relatively cool addition to this game for sure.

i´ve tried outposts on level 3, still not a challenge but well, it is the same system since how many years now? 7? could also be that it were a few too many Far Cry games with outposts, i´ve played them all so it is all known at this point

still, something like survivor or Metro´s Ranger Hardcore mode would be appreciated to give it a little more challenge

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't figured it out yet. Haha I haven't had a chance to touch it since Friday, but finally going to jump back in tonight or tomorrow morning. Any advice for adapting to the constant attacks and... difficulty of these starting missions? Really want to get to that comfort point, because I have a tendency to drop shit like this when I get annoyed at the start.
For the constant attacks in the beginning, my advice is pick your battles. At first I was trying to take them all on, then I just said fuck it and only took on those it was immediately evident I could take them on. Now that I have progressed some and unlocked better shit, just taking them all on. You will get there. It just takes about an hour for shit to click (as long as you do not get sidetracked too much)
For the starting missions, what I found most different from Far Cry 5 was in Far Cry 5 I can go in to each mission or outpost or whatever it may be pretty loose with no real plan of attack and still prevail. I feel like initially that did not work here and had to be a bit more strategic.

Honestly you should be fine once you play a little longer. That is all it took for me. I think the different approach threw me off more than anything else. I have not died in hours playing now. It is pretty much reminding me of my time with FC5 in that regard now.

Finally, if for whatever reason it does not click, no reason you cannot lower the difficulty until it does. Good luck.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Wait until you meet the late game bosses. Those terribly designed overpowered bullet sponges suck the fun out of the game within minutes, even on medium with every weapon class unlocked and a lot of upgraded perks.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Is it possible to get enough Credits for free to buy all the guns available? Can't find an answer to this anywhere.

northnorth

Dec 4, 2017
For the constant attacks in the beginning, my advice is pick your battles. At first I was trying to take them all on, then I just said fuck it and only took on those it was immediately evident I could take them on. Now that I have progressed some and unlocked better shit, just taking them all on. You will get there. It just takes about an hour for shit to click (as long as you do not get sidetracked too much)
For the starting missions, what I found most different from Far Cry 5 was in Far Cry 5 I can go in to each mission or outpost or whatever it may be pretty loose with no real plan of attack and still prevail. I feel like initially that did not work here and had to be a bit more strategic.

Honestly you should be fine once you play a little longer. That is all it took for me. I think the different approach threw me off more than anything else. I have not died in hours playing now. It is pretty much reminding me of my time with FC5 in that regard now.

Finally, if for whatever reason it does not click, no reason you cannot lower the difficulty until it does. Good luck.

Nice man! Appreciate the advice.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For those of you who have played both, which do you think is the better FC to jump into after having been on a long hiatus from the series, FC5 or this one?

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
For those of you who have played both, which do you think is the better FC to jump into after having been on a long hiatus from the series, FC5 or this one?

Probably 5, just because there are some returning characters and New Dawn takes place after 5.
5 has an annoying mission structure where you get kidnapped at certain points - even if you are in a plane. It's still pretty fun though. It's a massive game, far larger than New Dawn.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I'm pretty lukewarm on this game, it's very repetitive/predictable and the RPG elements really add nothing to game outside of ugly health bars and bullet sponge enemies. That said it's very polished and enjoyable in a mindless map clearing sort of way much like AC Odyssey was for me. It's missing the progession and cosmetics to motivate me though.

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
The Judge is the new archer companion - and is technically a returning character.

It's your FC5 character, Rook, in a mask.
Ah. Well, that's a bit lame.

I guess I'll be seeing more for myself when I play it here. Metro is buggy as shit so it looks like I'll be hopping into this shortly. I loved me some FC5.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
don´t know if its the condensed world, the "upgrade the town" mechanic or the crazier colourful setting...i like this game more than the base Far Cry 5. but i think FC5 is mandatory before playing this here, it it a nice conclusion to the ride that FC5 was.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really like how they've heeded complaints about Far Cry 5, and now the NPC spawn rates are much lower. You can just go wandering and avoid enemies. In FC5, you'd be buzzed by planes, harassed by patrols, and have stuff trying to kill you on a very frequent basis. Try to get in some fishing? Stuff tries to kill you. In New Dawn, there's a sense of serenity that lends itself to the game's themes. You see enemy patrols. You see convoys. But they're far less frequent and walking around them is much easier, even encouraged.

Fire also seems way more aggressive in New Dawn compared to Far Cry 5. Especially around buildings.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I was debating about creating a new thread but I'll just write a comment about Roger Cadoret. I mean, I did think it was funny the first time, but it's a gross stereotype of the French Quebecer. It's like Ubi felt obligated to include such a character because they're based in MTL. On the flipside, I think it's important to include our culture in games. Just not...like this, in a grossly exaggerated manner.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
The photo mode is great.

J5FqTWi.jpg

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Nice man! Appreciate the advice.
No problem at all! I am always down to help.
Still early on with this game, but 5 all the way, and I am really enjoying my time with this game so far.
As already mentioned 5 is just way larger in scope. I also have to imagine it is on sale these days, so you will definitely get your money's worth. 5 is just a damn good game. My most played game on XBox last year according to the stats they sent out.
I was debating about creating a new thread but I'll just write a comment about Roger Cadoret. I mean, I did think it was funny the first time, but it's a gross stereotype of the French Quebecer. It's like Ubi felt obligated to include such a character because they're based in MTL. On the flipside, I think it's important to include our culture in games. Just not...like this, in a grossly exaggerated manner.
I get what you are saying, I do. Do not see a whole lot of Canadians in games overall, but just keep in mind most every character, especially the side characters who are somewhat "featured," is a gross stereotype. That is kind of the whole vibe. Everything is ultra exaggerated.
I do hear you though. I do.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
Are there a lot of cool craftable weapons that unlock that are really unique and differentiated from standard guns?

Like Dead Rising 4 had some very entertaining weapons like guns that shoot lightning

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm struggling to beat the final boss. It feels like they disabled the sprint. I can't be more powered up than I already am. Have no idea what to do at this point except to hope to get lucky. This is the shortest Far Cry I've played but I somehow the most frustrating that I can remember.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Something struck me when rescuing Gina from the Arena. A lot of games would demand that you protect Gina by picking up the sniper rifle and shooting various targets. It would be a heavily scripted encounter with basically only one way to do it. Even games that otherwise offer a lot of freedom might railroad the player because they designers have decided this is a sniping mission.

Far Cry New Dawn doesn't come from that school of design. When you arrive at the arena, the game leads you up to the sniping post, and then lets you play how you want. Want to snipe? You can do that. Want to leap down into the arena and use every single tool at your disposal? Throwing around C4 like candy? Saw blades buzzing left and right? You can do that, too.

It reminds me of the original Far Cry. There was a "proper" way to play the Carrier mission. Climb the ladder onto the deck, fight the helicopter, etc. Alternatively, you could jump off the side of the ship, shoot the chains holding the inflatable boat in place, causing it to fall down into the water, and then sail off to the next mission.

This flexibility makes New Dawn's boss battles feel archaic. Far Cry's design strength is kneecapped if you force the player into a situation where basically only one playstyle is viable. Far Cry Instincts on the Xbox had this problem with the Crowe fight. He wasn't fun because there was no real way to express creativity when fighting him.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Just played a main mission that was literally just a 10 minute arena melee fight. Who came up with that idea?

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
This game is the definition of mediocre. Yet I have trouble putting the controller down when I play. I think Ubisoft have nailed an addictive gameplay loop.

I still wouldn't rate the game more than 6/10 though.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
I just cheat engined to unlock all tiers perks and have infinite stamina.
Games alot funner with all tools unlocked and crafted.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I want to love this game so much. Nothing I like more than just pissing about an open world causing trouble and collecting shit, but the 'RPG lite' mechanics are ruining the experience for me.
Some enemies and animals are just bullet sponges. I don't want to play a Farcry game with enemy health bars and damage numbers. Eurgh.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I want to love this game so much. Nothing I like more than just pissing about an open world causing trouble and collecting shit, but the 'RPG lite' mechanics are ruining the experience for me.
Some enemies and animals are just bullet sponges. I don't want to play a Farcry game with enemy health bars and damage numbers. Eurgh.

It's a pain in the beginning for sure. The best thing to do is look at the requirements to level up your base and try to get to level 3 crafting as quickly as possible. The game is far less tedious once you unlock the better weapons, the half assed RPG mechanics don't really add much aside from making it the early game more annoying.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, certain things are pretty tough to take out early on. It's worth the grind IMO. Once you unlock Tier 3 weapons, everything gets way more manageable. I'm having a great time now, and I'm not terrifed of Enforcers like I was earlier in the game lol.

Matush

Oct 25, 2017
Slovakia
I can't do this Anger Management trophy. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Still trying to just tap the button but it seems like I might be turning it off by accident or can't get the requisite amount of enemies
Get noticed inside one of the Expedition mission, it should be easy enough then. I got it on my third try on Alcatraz.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
It's a pain in the beginning for sure. The best thing to do is look at the requirements to level up your base and try to get to level 3 crafting as quickly as possible. The game is far less tedious once you unlock the better weapons, the half assed RPG mechanics don't really add much aside from making it the early game more annoying.
It's pretty ridiculous. I shot a guy point blank with an bazooka and he took it no problems. I just wonder what their thought process was in turning a normal shooter into this tiered enemy stuff

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
As a budget 'in-between' entry in the series this is a good place for them to experiment and see what resonates.

To be honest I don't see what the advantage of it is in New Dawn. It doesn't add any meaningful progression to your character. You just get more powerful weapons, your actual character doesn't have better stats outside of perks which is in every other game.

If you turn off the UI for the health bar and damage indicators there's literally no difference from FC5 outside of enemies being bigger bullet sponges. It feels like they just added it in to stop people from finishing the game too quickly because there's much less actual content than their full releases.

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
Is there only one model for all the scouts on the map ?! SMH ...

To be honest I don't see what the advantage of it is in New Dawn. It doesn't add any meaningful progression to your character. You just get more powerful weapons, your actual character doesn't have better stats outside of perks which is in every other game.

If you turn off the UI for the health bar and damage indicators there's literally no difference from FC5 outside of enemies being bigger bullet sponges. It feels like they just added it in to stop people from finishing the game too quickly because there's much less actual content than their full releases.

I just put the game on easy. I don't want to deal with this bullshit.

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Had a blast playing this during the weekend. Have to have put in over 20 hours Friday to Sunday. Love replaying taking the outposts and expeditions.
Such a pretty game to just walk through the forest as well.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
I was bored playing this game and thought it was just FC 5 with a new skin

But this video shows that in fact you can unlock some really cool stuff and some changes arent obvious like you can just drive through trees which I believe wasnt in FC5

The wingsuit and double jump combo looks so cool

Anyway I no longer regret buying the game since it seems there is a bigger set of gameplay changes than I thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGfQHncQJx8